Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Vontae Davis having the best year a CB ever had for the Colts?

RockThatBlue

Been a fan dating back to Unitas. But Vontae is having the best year I can remember a db having.

Better than 2007 Bob Sanders (if you're referring to Colts DBs)?  And when you say best year a DB has had, do you mean any you've seen in the league?  Because those days of Revis in New York were really impressive

I'll have to check numbers, but Eugene Daniel was a fine cornerback for some absolutely horrid Indianapolis Colts teams.  Daniel 'stuck' with the Colts for 13 years.  Only Manning at 14 had more as a Indy Colt, with Harrison and Saturday both also at 13.  Davis is having a wonderful year.  But Daniel was of the few names (yes, there were a few) one was proud to mention in those bad Colts seasons.

Eugene Daniel -

EDaniel_zps0e148c2b.png

Vontae Davis -

VDavis_zps71911fbe.png

I remember some old Baltimore names (like Rick Volk etc...) but I'd need to look up numbers.  I just thing that era, those names seemed menacing as a kid and might cloud reality.  ;-)

Its gotta be up there. I'm obviously not familiar with every CB to ever play for the colts and I'm still fairly young. But I can't imagine anybody has had a better year than Vontae has. Hes been flat out amazing this year.

No Ray Buchanan had 8 int's and 3 TD's in 1994. He got the name big play Ray that year. 

No Ray Buchanan had 8 int's and 3 TD's in 1994. He got the name big play Ray that year. 

A very good year for the sophomore 3rd round selection at #65.  But In 1985, sophomore Eugene Daniel had 8 interceptions, caused 1 fumble, recovered 3 fumbles and had 74 tackles.  It was just as big a performance as Ray in 1994  by a Colts CB. Actually bigger, only because it came before big play Ray's stellar year. Daniel was a steal as an 8th round selection from LSU at pick #205 and he played for the Colts 13 years. He was certainly a fan favorite during some dismal Colts seasons.  I think he and Ray rank with Davis as my top 3.

Daniel, Buchanan and Davis have to be Colts' all-time top three, at least in the Indy years.  However Davis is playing under the "no-touch-'em" rule, which makes this season even more remarkable.  I do miss the old "bump and run" days though, when the "bumps" were more like a bar fight.

In this Decade i would have to agree, The colts Certainly had some great play makers in the secondary yearsssss ago. Ray Buchanon, Bobby Boyd, Rick Volk, Jerry Logan, Bob Sanders (minus the injuries primarily the season he won DPOY) just  to name a few. Vontae is certainly having a lights out year Pro Bowl caliber performance if you ask me. 

Better than 2007 Bob Sanders (if you're referring to Colts DBs)?  And when you say best year a DB has had, do you mean any you've seen in the league?  Because those days of Revis in New York were really impressive

The thread said Colt DBs. Maybe a little reading the headline would help? :thmup:

The thread said Colt DBs. Maybe a little reading the headline would help? :thmup:

Yeah, the way he worded his answer had me a little confused.  I think Bob Sanders 2007 was the best season a Colts DB has had, especially since he was recognized as the best defensive player in the game that year.  That's why I was a little confused.

Daniel, Buchanan and Davis have to be Colts' all-time top three, at least in the Indy years.  However Davis is playing under the "no-touch-'em" rule, which makes this season even more remarkable.  I do miss the old "bump and run" days though, when the "bumps" were more like a bar fight.

DB's (and WR's) should be able to use hands within the first 10 yards (I can see why it 5 though).  Neither can touch after that  but absolutely nothing downfield offensive or defensive.  The defense does have the force out rule in their favor and WR's need both feet in with possession.  They also can "get their feet tangled" w/o a penalty.  At least they have to look back at the ball or else it is PI.