Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How the 1st down line on a broadcast works

SteelCityColt

I came across this article and to be honest was taken aback as to how complex it is to get the lines on a broadcast:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/10/how-the-lines-on-a-televised-nfl-game-work/

Also found this, but I'm sure the buffs on here already knew the name origins on the teams:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/06/how-each-nfl-team-got-its-name-afc/

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/06/how-each-nfl-team-got-its-name-nfc/

I thought it would be along the similar lines ( :P) of the telestrator but apparently it's far more complex than that. 

It never occurred to me that there was a challenge in making the line show up without it "covering" a player or an object moving over it.

I read this stuff and it makes me realize how dumb I really am, lol...

;) 

It never occurred to me that there was a challenge in making the line show up without it "covering" a player or an object moving over it.

I read this stuff and it makes me realize how dumb I really am, lol...

;)

I guess we just take it for granted, I mean it's just there, we don't thing about how do they overlay the field but not the players. I wonder if the Eagle and Jets unis gave them some headaches to start with. 

I didn't realize that would fascinate so many.  OTOH, we've been doing 3D modeling and imaging in the medical field so long now, it's common and new things expected to be released almostyearly.  3D and 4D (3D +real time motion) are common in CT (Cat Scan) MRI, Ultrasound, and also in interventional Xray. (iXR, my specialty).  You have to be very accurate in mapping ones insides and guiding the Doctors devices right to an area of interest, and accommodate motion.  In medical, we 3D image what's inside and actually present inside, and a few times for overlay type purposes (a guide map, etc...). 3D imaging alone in the medical field will be nearly a 6 billion dollar industry worldwide within the next 2 years.

What I do find interesting is someone thought of the idea to map out  the football field along with the camera locations etc. into a 3D model.  The  motion ( panning or zooming in/out of the camera ) is slower and more predictable than us finicky humans can be, and the digital video processing available is unbelievable in both studio / broadcast and medical environments.  The benefits of the digital age are evident in that most every TV sold now is a Flat panel of some type High Definition (720p, 1080i, or 1080p) digital set with it's own scaler , de-interlacer, and video processor built in. I hear nobody pining for the Standard definition / analog TV days.  ;-)

As far as using technology for the first down, they could easily incorporate devices on the sideline and yard markers that could tell without moving the sticks once the ball is placed (the most subjective part, and reviewable on challenge too!) on the turf whether or not a first down was made or not.  But the fanfare of asking for a measurement and bringing out the chains appears much more dramatic.  LOL.