Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaches you think are on the hot seat

RockThatBlue

I have 3. I don't agree with firing them but I think it will happen.

Rex Ryan - just quit letting him draft quarterbacks and tell his butt to sit 1 when it's time because besides that he's a good coach.

Tom Coughlin - he's the man for this job and Eli is the man for his. Besides, they still haven't reached points as low as the other 3 teams in that division in recent years.

Mike Smith - he appears to have mailed it in. If that's the case then go on and fire him if he doesn't quit. If he gives 1 indication that he can fix his team than give him another year.

1. Rex is done, last night against the Bills was the nail in the coffin.

2. Mike Smith's horrible clock management cost his team 2 victories.  

3. Marvin Lewis if he has another 1 and out in the playoffs or doesn't make the playoffs.  It happened to Dungy. 

4. Ron River, he and Shula are ruining Cam Newton.

1) Rex is out.

2) Mike Smith is probably out, unless they get to 8-8.

3) Rivera is on the hot seat, but I doubt he goes anywhere. They'd probably get rid of Mike Shula first.

4) Coughlin is on the hot seat. If they can't do better than 6-10, I think he should be out.

5) Gus Bradley ought to be done.

6) Tony Sparano, who is only an interim, won't be back.

Also, Jim Harbaugh is reportedly done in SF, but that sounds like it's either mutual or his own decision, not a firing.

Some guys that will get a stern talking to, and another year to show something, are Trestman and Lovie Smith. And the "you better find a QB" talk will be had with Jay Gruden, Jeff Fisher and Doug Marrone. 

1) Rex is out.

3) Rivera is on the hot seat, but I doubt he goes anywhere. They'd probably get rid of Mike Shula first.

4) Coughlin is on the hot seat. If they can't do better than 6-10, I think he should be out.

Also, Jim Harbaugh is reportedly done in SF, but that sounds like it's either mutual or his own decision, not a firing.

Some guys that will get a stern talking to, and another year to show something, are Trestman and Lovie Smith. And the "you better find a QB" talk will be had with Jay Gruden, Jeff Fisher and Doug Marrone. 

I would put Marrone on the list now; I didn't like that hire since day 1, and the Manuel selection was a huge mistake.

I'm surprised you have Bradley on the list.  Do you really think he should go?  They've been able to attract some talent to the Jacksonville defense and could have their franchise with Bortles.  Do you think they should go and change everything again?

I would put Marrone on the list now; I didn't like that hire since day 1, and the Manuel selection was a huge mistake.

I'm surprised you have Bradley on the list. Do you really think he should go? They've been able to attract some talent to the Jacksonville defense and could have their franchise with Bortles. Do you think they should go and change everything again?

The Bills are having a decent season so far, with bad QB play.

As for Bradley, he has some redeeming trai, but as of right now, he has five wins in two seasons, and his team still looks like one of the three worst in the league. I don't think they should start over; Bortles is talented. He's definitely on the hot seat, though, with just one win this year.

Guest wideright

John Fox should be on the hot seat if the Broncos don't win it all, but he won't be.  IMO him and Del Rio are the team's biggest weaknesses.

1) Rex is out.

You think Bradley is done? That's the main one that sticks out to me lol.

It just seems that the Jaguars are about 3 above average talent players away from being a legitimate football team and I think Bradley has a lot to do with that. It would be great for the Colts but I think that's a huge mistake if it happens.

You think Bradley is done? That's the main one that sticks out to me lol.

It just seems that the Jaguars are about 3 above average talent players away from being a legitimate football team and I think Bradley has a lot to do with that. It would be great for the Colts but I think that's a huge mistake if it happens.

Let's see how this season ends, but right now they have five wins in two years. I think the GM is doing fine, but they don't win. That's the first and last measure of a head coach, IMO, with few exceptions.

I wish Sean Payton was on the hot seat but I doubt that will ever happen.

Mike Smith is not even the problem in Atlanta. They are all around a BAD team. I don't get why people act shocked when they blow it. The two seasons they went 13-3, they were playing weak opponents. 2012 was an easy year for them and they still stunk it up in the playoffs as usual.

1) Rex is out.

I agree pretty much on all except Bradley. I get what you're saying but i think they will and should give him at least one more year now that it looks like they finally have a QB.

I agree pretty much on all except Bradley. I get what you're saying but i think they will and should give him at least one more year now that it looks like they finally have a QB.

They might. But he got a stern talking to last offseason when they went 4-12. They only have 1 win through 11 games this year, so they're basically worse, even though they now have a talented QB. The defense is physical, but they still give up points. I like the foundations of the roster, but they aren't playing well. At the very least, they need to hire a QB whisperer to work with Bortles. 

Mike Smith is not even the problem in Atlanta. They are all around a BAD team. I don't get why people act shocked when they blow it. The two seasons they went 13-3, they were playing weak opponents. 2012 was an easy year for them and they still stunk it up in the playoffs as usual.

The Falcons made it to the NFC championship game in the 2012 season

1) Rex is out.

Trestman is done.....if you believe Chicago radio

Trestman is done.....if you believe Chicago radio

He shouldn't be. It not his fault he got stuck with Jay Cutler. But his QB skills are apparent. He made McCown look better than Cutler (although that's not hard) last year. But the GM really wanted to believe Cutler was some type of franchise QB, and he's not. I say let him find his own QB. May have to wait awhile while the talent pool refreshes but he inherited Jay Cutler and a decimated defense.

Guys like Chip Kelly and Andy Reid inherited teams with All-Pro and Pro Bowl players. And if Coughlin is done it'll be because they "part ways" and not the Giants firing him. Too much respect for him probably. I agree with Bradley though. The team hasn't improved at all.

I'm surprised you have Bradley on the list.  Do you really think he should go?  They've been able to attract some talent to the Jacksonville defense and could have their franchise with Bortles.  Do you think they should go and change everything again?

I agree with you on Bradley. The Jags are not that many players away from being competitive. A couple of key pieces on the offense and they would be a lot better. They have the QB and the RB but lack receivers and a couple of o-linemen.

He shouldn't be. It not his fault he got stuck with Jay Cutler. But his QB skills are apparent. He made McCown look better than Cutler (although that's not hard) last year. But the GM really wanted to believe Cutler was some type of franchise QB, and he's not. I say let him find his own QB. May have to wait awhile while the talent pool refreshes but he inherited Jay Cutler and a decimated defense.

Guys like Chip Kelly and Andy Reid inherited teams with All-Pro and Pro Bowl players. And if Coughlin is done it'll be because they "part ways" and not the Giants firing him. Too much respect for him probably. I agree with Bradley though. The team hasn't improved at all.

Every place Marc Trestman has coached..the offense suffered the second year..

..every place.

The Bears skill position players are as talentedd a group as any in football but they don't play well as a group

The 2-year experiment should end. Try someone else

Kind of hard to do with Cutler being one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL. I don't know what kind of dead cap space it would cost.

1) Rex is out.

Gus Bradley after only 2 years 1 of which with Chad Henne at QB and this one with a rookie QB along with a mess of an O Line? Is it just there records the last 2 years or more then that in your opinion?

I got a name... Lovie  Smith....Has full control over roster decisions and insists on playing a below average vet QB instead of playing a young QB who has played overall well this year in his 2nd year and developing him since the team is going nowhere this year. Just seems inexcusable to me from an outsiders perspective having watch some of Mikes games. Though its possible the decision came from a higher up for him

I wouldn't fire Fox unless you secretly want Manning gone soon. Manning would probably retire before he seizes control to some coach. Of course there are many coaches who would just let Manning run it...but then why not just stick with Fox?

There is no real reason.

Fox won with Manning..and won with Tebow..36-11 in the last 3 years..

all NFL coaches have critics who are obcessed with them..

NOLA needs to win that divsion or Sean Payton will face folks who want him out..

You cant make much change without changing the head coach so Atlanta, the Jets and the NYGs need to make that change

• 3 weeks later...

1) Rex is out.

Updating my list:

I think Bradley stays, but gets put on notice. They're playing hard and seem to be getting better. Beat a bad team tonight, but hung tough with the Ravens last week. 

Somehow, the Falcons are still in contention at 5-9, which is dumb. But if they get in the playoffs, there's a chance Mike Smith stays. They'd have to show well in the playoffs, though. If they don't make it -- and it looks like a longshot, I think they'll lose their next two, as a matter of fact -- he's gone.

There's a report that the Giants have committed to Coughlin in 2015. I find that puzzling, but evidently he'll stay.

Harbaugh appears to be out the door, one way or the other. 

Add Trestman to the gone list. Seems like a done deal (and he could take Emery with him). The locker room has fractured, the coaching staff is turning on players, players are questioning discipline, etc. Not good. I might look at Trestman as a coordinator, should Pep leave.

Lovie probably doesn't go anywhere, but I'm not a fan.

Washington may have committed to Gruden. Tough situation there, also, and he's forced to go back to the QB he undermined, benched, and said he doesn't need to continue evaluating. 

Fisher is very safe. Still needs a QB, though... Cutler???

Marrone is safe. Buffalo can actually still get a wild card spot.

Rivera is probably safe, but I still think their offense is flawed.

To me, as of today, that's five coaching changes: Raiders, Niners, Jets, Falcons, Bears. I'd put money on those.

Updating my list:

I think Bradley stays, but gets put on notice. They're playing hard and seem to be getting better. Beat a bad team tonight, but hung tough with the Ravens last week. 

Somehow, the Falcons are still in contention at 5-9, which is dumb. But if they get in the playoffs, there's a chance Mike Smith stays. They'd have to show well in the playoffs, though. If they don't make it -- and it looks like a longshot, I think they'll lose their next two, as a matter of fact -- he's gone.

There's a report that the Giants have committed to Coughlin in 2015. I find that puzzling, but evidently he'll stay.

Harbaugh appears to be out the door, one way or the other. 

Add Trestman to the gone list. Seems like a done deal (and he could take Emery with him). The locker room has fractured, the coaching staff is turning on players, players are questioning discipline, etc. Not good. I might look at Trestman as a coordinator, should Pep leave.

Lovie probably doesn't go anywhere, but I'm not a fan.

Washington may have committed to Gruden. Tough situation there, also, and he's forced to go back to the QB he undermined, benched, and said he doesn't need to continue evaluating. 

Fisher is very safe. Still needs a QB, though... Cutler???

Marrone is safe. Buffalo can actually still get a wild card spot.

Rivera is probably safe, but I still think their offense is flawed.

To me, as of today, that's five coaching changes: Raiders, Niners, Jets, Falcons, Bears. I'd put money on those.

Do you have a link to that Giants report on Coughlin staying? That is stunning to me. I have a good buddy who is a Giants fan who will be crushed if Coughlin stays.

Do you have a link to that Giants report on Coughlin staying? That is stunning to me. I have a good buddy who is a Giants fan who will be crushed if Coughlin stays.

Coughlin is the only NFL coach to win 2 SBs in the last 10 years.

Do you understand what that mean?.

Every team will take that option in an heartbeat.

Mr.Hoodie has 0 SBs in the last 10 years. Should he be fired too?.

Coughlin is the only NFL coach to win 2 SBs in the last 10 years.

Do you understand what that mean?.

Every team will take that option in an heartbeat.

Mr.Hoodie has 0 SBs in the last 10 years. Should he be fired too?.

This season makes 10. Been to 2 SB and numerous AFCCGs(5 I think, going off top of my head) in that 9 season span. How many coaches can say that during the same span?