Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts claim Shaun Phillips (Merge)

lennymoore24

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went over to a Titans site to get a feel for why they released him. In short, the fans there are baffled. They said he didn't see the field much, probably because teams really didn't have to pass against them very much.

No one complained about his play on the field. He's old, but no one expects him to play every snap. I'm not sure he'll be active this week, but we need all the pass rushers we can get when we get to January.

I probably won't be. But he's about on par with Werner so it's not some sort of crazy downgrade. Just a meh move.

Well, In one sense, are are absolutely correct. He was in a 4-3 scheme in Denver, the problem is, Denver runs a hybrid which honestly might as well be a 3-4.

Going back to your statement. While he was a pass rusher, it was almost never in the typical 4-3 DE fashion. Most of the time he came after the QB, it was standing up. He's a natural OLB, and Denver used him in such fashion. Heck, I even saw him drop into coverage quite a bit with Denver.

I can't wait to see him play here. A cheap pickup who has the potential to contribute.

As someone who watched every single Denver game since Peyton signed there, Phillips is far from "done" he played really well last year for Denver and didn't exactly play DE either...he was a stand up pass rusher and managed 10 sacked in a year that the opposition didn't hafta worry about Miller, as he missed most of the year...the ONLY reason he's not still a Bronco, is because DeMarcus Ware became available

Phillips only averaged 32 snaps played a game for the Titans this year.......He had 2 sacks out of 350 defensive snaps to this point........To compare......Kamerion Wimbley also has only 2 sacks but in 547 defensive snaps....Derrick Morgan also OLB for Titans 682 defensive snaps.....3.5 sacks. Love the pick up if he is healthy

Well, In one sense, are are absolutely correct. He was in a 4-3 scheme in Denver, the problem is, Denver runs a hybrid which honestly might as well be a 3-4.

Going back to your statement. While he was a pass rusher, it was almost never in the typical 4-3 DE fashion. Most of the time he came after the QB, it was standing up. He's a natural OLB, and Denver used him in such fashion. Heck, I even saw him drop into coverage quite a bit with Denver.

I can't wait to see him play here. A cheap pickup who has the potential to contribute.

They run a 43 under, but most of his production came with his hand in the dirt.

Phillips only averaged 32 snaps played a game for the Titans this year.......He had 2 sacks out of 350 defensive snaps to this point........To compare......Kamerion Wimbley also has only 2 sacks but in 547 defensive snaps....Derrick Morgan also OLB for Titans 682 defensive snaps.....3.5 sacks. Love the pick up if he is healthy

Yep I agree

I like the signing, especially with Studebaker starting to get nicked up more and more.  Great to have a crafty vet like Phillips in my opinion.  I can certainly remember Colts vs Chargers games where he caused us some troubles.

I'm wondering if he's good against the run as well?  I think he is if I remember correctly. Nice size at 6' 3" 250

I'm not excited about it, but I don't think it hurts. He also doesn't have to take snaps away from anyone. He can ride the bench until he's called on, if that even happens. Costs us next to nothing, and we have his rights in 2015. I'm optimistic, but I don't expect a whole lot.

He was a lot younger in his days with SD but they ran a 3-4 and were one of the best defenses in the league a couple years he was with them.  He was a big part of that D also.

That's fine. These older pass rushers have been good lately (Ware, Mathis, Phillips in Denver). We recently saw a pass rusher change defenses and positions and have a career record setting year. I'm not saying Phillips will come in and do that, but it is possible that he is a piece of the puzzle.

I talked to a friend who is a Titans fan and he said because the Titans have been behind most of the time, the other teams just run the ball on them. So Phillips didn't get a lot of shots to rush the QB

That ain't it. He has 188 pass rushes, with only 15 pressures. Basically 8%. Derrick Morgan has had pressures on over 12% of his rushes. Phillips was closer to 10% last year.

I love that our fan base gets so fired up about waiver wire pickups. He wasn't picked up to be a starter guys.......and we lost Victor Butler who has a grand total of two tackles this season. This isn't a make or break the season move. The was simply adding a player who can make spot contributions.