Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hugh Thornton OUT with MCL Sprain

TKnight24

We weren't great by any means, but we had some success early on in the season running the football and Luck wasn't getting hit as much.  AQ was a part of that line.  The only difference since then a few people got banged up and we had to patch a hole for a week or two.  I think Harrison is as good as he will get (for this season).  Now, next year I'm all in with Harrison (or Holmes), but he is a little too inexperienced to play such an important role for an already sub par offensive line.  We need somebody that has been through the motions, developed instincts, and have played against a variety of different schemes/caliber of players.  Harrison was an UDFA, meaning college is about all he has.  Don't get me wrong Harrison will be good, but it's asking alot to have him carry the load on his shoulders.

I think equating that success to AQ is wrong headed

Because you all saw how the Jags abused Reitz and beat up on Luck last week causing turnovers.  What happens if we are playing a team that's not the Jaguars?  With a more offensively competent team they could have been up 21 - 0 easily by halftime, if not worse. 

People keep saying this, but Chris Clemons is a good lineman. He makes plays every week. Same with Sen'Derrick Marks.

As a matter of fact, the Jags have 38 sacks this year. That's more than a lot of good defensive teams -- Cardinals, Lions, Ravens, Jets, etc. Their defense has issues, but they have some talented players up front.

And more importantly, as has been mentioned, Reitz has played much better at guard in the past. He shouldn't be at RT, IMO.

People keep saying this, but Chris Clemons is a good lineman. He makes plays every week. Same with Sen'Derrick Marks.

As a matter of fact, the Jags have 38 sacks this year. That's more than a lot of good defensive teams -- Cardinals, Lions, Ravens, Jets, etc. Their defense has issues, but they have some talented players up front.

And more importantly, as has been mentioned, Reitz has played much better at guard in the past. He shouldn't be at RT, IMO.

Not that I buy into much of what announcers say, but they were surely praising the D-Line of Jax during the first half of the game sunday.  Jag's are good up front, but because they're one of the worst teams in the league overall, so most people think their whole team is garbage without disecting anything else.

Not saying they don't have talent on their D-line.  But if they had talent on offense after turning the ball over like we did in the first half, we would be down pretty substantially.

Their is a handful, maybe 5 teams at most that you can afford to turn the ball over that many times and not get behind and the Jags are one of those teams.

Any other team and you are talking about being down 21 to nothing or worse by halftime. 

Not saying they don't have talent on their D-line.  But if they had talent on offense after turning the ball over like we did in the first half, we would be down pretty substantially.

Their is a handful, maybe 5 teams at most that you can afford to turn the ball over that many times and not get behind and the Jags are one of those teams.

Any other team and you are talking about being down 21 to nothing or worse by halftime. 

It's never advisable to turn the ball over, especially deep in your own territory. But the defense has gotten stops even against good teams this year. We turned it over against the Ravens, but the defense held up. That's the value of having a defense that can get stops (despite a couple of bad games this year). Yeah, I know the Jags aren't good, but the defense did their job.

Can we please have Nixon replace him? The guy always looks solid whenever he comes in.. Why not give him a chance? I seriously think if we do that and put Shipley back at center our line will be 10x better

Agreed. Nixon looked really good last year and he looked good last week too.

I still can't figure out why Shipley was benched. Harrison has been OK, but Shipley was clearly better.

And why is that? Do you only value AQ as a backup in the NFL? Do you agree with the coaches on throwing Harrison into the fire to allow him to gain as much experience as possible.

AQ is fine. I don't hate him. I just don't think he played that well early in the season. He missed some protection calls and struggled picking up middle blitzes. He also doesn't move anyone off the ball. We didn't play any serious defensive fronts in the first month of this season, either. Starting with the Ravens, we've played much better defensive lines. Shipley's a refined, skilled player, but not anything special.

Harrison is more physically gifted, he's bigger, stronger, faster, and has potential that AQ doesn't. I don't think the coaches wanted to throw him into the fire. I think they feel that he gives them a better chance to win games. I'd agree with that if he didn't make so many mistakes, because he's a clearly superior physical talent. My beef is that Harrison is struggling with the finer points, like the snap count. He seems to have straightened out the high snaps, so he's getting better. He moves defenders in the run game, when plays with proper technique and keeps his feet moving. He has more range, also. 

I get the decision. It makes sense. I also think it would have made sense to stick with Shipley. I'm definitely not worked up over it, like almost everyone else is.

Not that I buy into much of what announcers say, but they were surely praising the D-Line of Jax during the first half of the game sunday.  Jag's are good up front, but because they're one of the worst teams in the league overall, so most people think their whole team is garbage without disecting anything else.

The most annoying thing about the Jags game is that all of those pressures and sacks were non existant in the first blow out win.  In the second match up it's like their front 7 had kryptonite in their pants in the first half which caused our O line to turn into swiss cheese it seemed.  I understood Cherilus being out was part of the issue, but some of the other lineman who played in the first game were all of a sudden unable to block. Even Costanzo gave up a sack, which was somewhat of a shock in some ways.

AQ is fine. I don't hate him. I just don't think he played that well early in the season. He missed some protection calls and struggled picking up middle blitzes. He also doesn't move anyone off the ball. We didn't play any serious defensive fronts in the first month of this season, either. Starting with the Ravens, we've played much better defensive lines. Shipley's a refined, skilled player, but not anything special.

Harrison is more physically gifted, he's bigger, stronger, faster, and has potential that AQ doesn't. I don't think the coaches wanted to throw him into the fire. I think they feel that he gives them a better chance to win games. I'd agree with that if he didn't make so many mistakes, because he's a clearly superior physical talent. My beef is that Harrison is struggling with the finer points, like the snap count. He seems to have straightened out the high snaps, so he's getting better. He moves defenders in the run game, when plays with proper technique and keeps his feet moving. He has more range, also. 

I get the decision. It makes sense. I also think it would have made sense to stick with Shipley. I'm definitely not worked up over it, like almost everyone else is.

Agreed he has more Physically talented they like him the more he plays the better he gets, still learning but I think he is going to be good. You have to wonder about Holmes though!

The most annoying thing about the Jags game is that all of those pressures and sacks were non existant in the first blow out win.  In the second match up it's like their front 7 had kryptonite in their pants in the first half which caused our O line to turn into swiss cheese it seemed.  I understood Cherilus being out was part of the issue, but some of the other lineman who played in the first game were all of a sudden unable to block. Even Costanzo gave up a sack, which was somewhat of a shock in some ways.

The Jags are loaded on the defensive front, honestly its not that surprising!