Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hugh Thornton OUT with MCL Sprain

TKnight24

@KBowenColts: Chuck Pagano says Hugh Thornton has an MCL sprain. He will be week-to-week.

Perfect time to shuffle the line. Move Reitz to G & Nixon to T if Cherilus still can't go

:colts:

Other news:

@KBowenColts: Pagano says Loucheiz Purifoy is undergoing concussion protocol after being re-evaluated today.

Another update:

@KBowenColts: With Gosder Cherilus looking to return Sunday, Pagano mentions Nixon/Shipley/Reitz as possibilities at right guard with Thornton’s injury.

@KBowenColts: Chuck Pagano says Hugh Thornton has an MCL sprain. He will be week-to-week.

Perfect time to shuffle the line. Move Reitz to G & Nixon to T if Cherilus still can't go

Other news:

@KBowenColts: Pagano says Loucheiz Purifoy is undergoing concussion protocol after being re-evaluated today.

They need to move some players around to where they are best suited.  

Other news:

Another update:

@KBowenColts: With Gosder Cherilus looking to return Sunday, Pagano mentions Nixon/Shipley/Reitz as possibilities at right guard with Thornton’s injury.

I like moving Reitz in THornton's spot and Nixon into Cherlius' place.  Then put in Shipley at Center.  

I never like seeing a player injured, but I'm definitely in favor to see next man up!  He is one of the weak links on the O Line.  Mewhort and Harrison are young but they have a big upside.  I think they will be develope well as they get experience.  Thornton on the other hand, I haven't ever been impressed with him.  Hopefully the other Guard position is our #1 concern in the offseason, and if Harrison isn't ready to be the leader this line is begging for perhaps find a replacement for him until he matures, but this line needs a sense of direction, which they do not have at this point. 

I cant help but wonder how good our line would be if Thomas and Holmes was never injured.  I know Holmes isn't injured anymore, but IMO he would be a better fit right now than Harrison, with an extra year in the weight room.

I wish we could get a look at Holmes.  As far as guard is concerned I would like for Reitz to get the start on the right side in place of Thornton this week.  But watch ole Pagano start somebody like A.Q. Shipley at guard.  It gets irritating trying to figure this stuff out sometimes.  He never does what you think should be a very simple decision.

I wish we could get a look at Holmes. As far as guard is concerned I would like for Reitz to get the start on the right side in place of Thornton this week. But watch ole Pagano start somebody like A.Q. Shipley at guard. It gets irritating trying to figure this stuff out sometimes. He never does what you think should be a very simple decision.

Thus why we'll never move forward as a team until changes are made along the coaching staff

Shipley will start at guard this week. There's a small chance that Nixon could start.. no chance for Reitz.

......... Shipley starting at G would silence the RG3 bashing as it would turn into the media hyping the Redskins pass rush for having 12 sacks on Andrew Luck

I saw Reitz get destroyed too this past weekend. Did people not see him get abused in the 1st half?

That's at Tackle

He has NO business being at Tackle. G is it

Coaching staff has to be the worst when it comes to deciding the offensive line

We don't have the pieces to be a dominant line like that, but we have enough right now to be a SOLID unit. And when you have a QB like Andrew, that's all you need

I saw Reitz get destroyed too this past weekend.  Did people not see him get abused in the 1st half?

Big difference between playing guard and tackle.  A lot of guys who just don't have the feet to play tackle can play guard just fine. 

Reitz has done well at guard but he's terrible at tackle.  Honestly outside of our starting tackles we really don't have anyone on the roster that's very proven at tackle.  This is why I really wish we would have kept Winston Justice on as a backup.  Don't get me wrong, the guy is no great player, but as a tackle he did better out there then Reitz has. 

Honestly we could probably let go of one of our centers or guards to put him on and just keep him in our "back pocket" so to speak in case anything ever happens to one of our starting tackles again. 

Because you all saw how the Jags abused Reitz and beat up on Luck last week causing turnovers.  What happens if we are playing a team that's not the Jaguars?  With a more offensively competent team they could have been up 21 - 0 easily by halftime, if not worse. 

That's at Tackle

He has NO business being at Tackle. G is it

Coaching staff has to be the worst when it comes to deciding the offensive line

We don't have the pieces to be a dominant line like that, but we have enough right now to be a SOLID unit. And when you have a QB like Andrew, that's all you need

You are so ridiculous. This coaching staff sees these guys on a daily basis. You watch the games only if they are nationally televised. Gimme a break

Costanzo/Mewhort/Shipley/Nixon/Cherilus

Probably Harrison will start at center though, I think Harrison will be a beast as early as next season, just not sure if he's ready yet. 

Wasnt this the original line we started with? as i recall that line was pretty darn good at getting a push upfront.

All I am saying......... Is give Holmes a chance..........

(Played to the Beatles background music)

What is it with Holmes? Our O Line isn't that great and we have had our share of injuries if the guy had any talent you don't think we would have seen him by now?  He doesn't even dress and hasn't a single game all year. Action speak louder than words.

Holmes won't be on the team next year. Reitz is our best option at G in my opinion but would not be surprised to see them go with Shipley.

I wish we would have held onto Quarles I liked him at SC. He will end up on a practice squad somewhere. I think he has a future in the league, he gets off the ball. Oh well.

If Cherlius does indeed come back this week get Nixon in there to replace Thornton. I'd be tempted to go with Shipley again too, but that's almost certainly not going to happen with this coaching staff. They seem strangely committed to Harrison.

This forum seems strangely committed to Shipley.

Yeah he's the popular player here. I think it has to do with suffering through Satele, Harrison tailing off last week, and the fact that Shipley did a pretty solid job filling in on short notice early. He's not a star player, or a guy with a high ceiling or anything of the like. But he's fairly dependable, which is more than anyone feels about our other options.

We weren't great by any means, but we had some success early on in the season running the football and Luck wasn't getting hit as much.  AQ was a part of that line.  The only difference since then a few people got banged up and we had to patch a hole for a week or two.  I think Harrison is as good as he will get (for this season).  Now, next year I'm all in with Harrison (or Holmes), but he is a little too inexperienced to play such an important role for an already sub par offensive line.  We need somebody that has been through the motions, developed instincts, and have played against a variety of different schemes/caliber of players.  Harrison was an UDFA, meaning college is about all he has.  Don't get me wrong Harrison will be good, but it's asking alot to have him carry the load on his shoulders.