Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lions center cheap shots Pats

oldunclemark

I did not see the end of NEs win over Detroit..

.....when the Lions center Dominick Raiola...dived at the knees of a Pats player because he thought they run up the score. A professional player did that...

Forget for a moment how cowardly it is to get your butt whipped and not want to fight until the final play..

Did this clown play for the Saints at one time?

I understand that all NFL players try to hurt each other ..that's what they do//

But to intentionally attempt to injure a player with a surprise move is something the league has to deal with.

I know the NFLPA will stick their heads in the sand but the NFL office has to suspend this low life for a true

punk act.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think there's a brother hood of players that says violence is ;part of the game but final play dives at the knee are the act on a guy who's less than a man. (and should be less several hundred thousand dollars)

He said in post-game that he was mad that the Patriots scored a TD with under 2:00 left.

"I cut him. We took a knee, so I cut the nose," Raiola said. "They went for a touchdown at two minutes; they could have taken three knees and the game could have been over.

"I mean, it's football. You want us to keep playing football? Let's play football. No big deal -- it's football."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/11931254/nfl-looking-dominic-raiola-detroit-lions-cut-block-new-england-patriots-zach-moore?ex_cid=espnapi_public

There's a video showing the play at the link above too. 

I get that he was mad about what the Patriots did... I don't agree with him, but I get it. Still, that's not how you handle it. Shove someone, do whatever you have to do, but diving at another guy's knees on a kneel-down play is bush league all the way. 

He said in post-game that he was mad that the Patriots scored a TD with under 2:00 left.

"I cut him. We took a knee, so I cut the nose," Raiola said. "They went for a touchdown at two minutes; they could have taken three knees and the game could have been over.

"I mean, it's football. You want us to keep playing football? Let's play football. No big deal -- it's football."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/11931254/nfl-looking-dominic-raiola-detroit-lions-cut-block-new-england-patriots-zach-moore?ex_cid=espnapi_public

I get that he was mad about what the Patriots did... I don't agree with him, but I get it. Still, that's not how you handle it. Shove someone, do whatever you have to do, but diving at another guy's knees on a kneel-down play is bush league all the way.

GoP...it always shocks me that the first 4 or 5 TDs in a situation like this bothered him but it was that LAST one that spurred him to try to hurt the playing career of someone who didn't score any of those points.

..I actually dont understand it...the final TD isn't the one that jacked you up.

Raiola is said to be a respected vet...but this is the kind of thing the cowardly NFLPA and the NFL office has to come down on hard.

The union is OK with any player crime. even player on player..but the NFL office has to suspend him

I'm not by any means saying this was justified but why does your team continue to run scores up. Been doing it for years . Is it still retaliation for getting caught cheating ? 

I'm not by any means saying this was justified but why does your team continue to run scores up. Been doing it for years . Is it still retaliation for getting caught cheating ?

I dont think continuing to try to score is running up the score.....Its just playing the game...that fans pay to see..

...This isn't youth sports...Raiola has to know that...and what act warrants a shot at an unsuspecting guy's knee?

Fine or suspension or (preferably) both

I dont think continuing to try to score is running up the score.....Its just playing the game...that fans pay to see..

...This isn't youth sports...Raiola has to know that...and what act warrants a shot at an unsuspecting guy's knee?

Fine or suspension or (preferably) both

Most teams choose to take a knee when the game can be run out. That's the prevailing  ethic in the NFL. Your opinion is appreciated but I don't think "running up the score" is limited to youth sports. In football they usually stop throwing the ball when the game is clearly out of reach... or take a knee when the clock can be run out. In baseball , teams stop stealing bases and bunting runners over. 

Wonder how many pats fans are mad about this but praised gronk for throwing Sergio into the camera cause he "deserved" it.

Wouldn't surprise me that's how thinks work with that franchise and its fans. Pats can get away with anything but as soon as something happens to then they are all up in arms

On that drive, the Patriots lined up for a FG and one of the Lions' d-linemen (Mosley) was hit with a personal foul for plowing into the long snapper. It was deliberate and an obvious dirty play. The kick was good but Mosley was hit with a personal foul on the play. So first down, 2:00 to go, at the 1.

Here's a little write-up with a GIF of both plays: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/11/23/7272683/dominic-raiola-lions-patriots-kneeldown-dive

2. The Patriots weren't trying to score... until...

You're mad because the Patriots scored on you when they could have ended the game. Guess what! They weren't trying to score on you when they could have ended the game until a punk move by your teammate. The Patriots had been dutifully trying to run out the clock by giving the ball over and over again to LeGarrette Blount. That brought up fourth down, and the Patriots opted to kick a field goal. That's when C.J. Mosley decided to level the opposing long snapper with a helmet-to-helmet

hit.

mos.0.gif

Yeah they could have taken a knee but I think the final TD was in response to that. Plus Detroit was very chippy throughout the final couple of minutes.  

It has nothing to do with running up the score or spygate. It had to do with the fact that for 60 minutes the NE defense completely suffocated the Detroit offense. Raiola was abused by Wilfork and Hightower all game. That is what Bill said and I agree with him. It was a very frustrating game all around for Detroit and by the end of it they let their tempers flare. At the end of the game the Pats had a fourth and goal at the 2 with two minutes to go. They lined up for a FG and hit it which would have made it 30-9, hardly running up the score as the Pats had only scored 6 points all half but a Lions player decided to spear our long snapper and got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. That put the ball on the one and needless to say the Pats were all too happy to run it on them after that bush league play.

I really thought Caldwell's MO this year was cleaning up this type of behavior from the Lions. Yet after the game he says he will not punish Raiola for his chop block on a kneel down. It is one thing for a defensive player to take a shot at the offensive team kneeling down but when the center does it, it is just so unexpected and dirty. For Caldwell to do nothing is both surprising and disappointing.

Of course, the Lions should be sending love notes to the Pats this week as they really need us to beat the Packers for them so they can still try to win the division. Talk about ironic ...

Wonder how many pats fans are mad about this but praised gronk for throwing Sergio into the camera cause he "deserved" it.

Wouldn't surprise me that's how thinks work with that franchise and its fans. Pats can get away with anything but as soon as something happens to then they are all up in arms

Before you pass judgement on an entire region of people, watch the play above and tell me what you would do. 

lol. The two plays are night and day different. But nice try.

Could you really argue that with a strait face

Sure. Because what Gronk did happens almost every football game. Two guys engaged that don't stop after the whistle blows. It was only blown up as bad as it was because the TV rig was there for some inexplicable reason.

What the center did has never ever happened to my knowledge and could have ended someone's career. I have never seen a center on a kneel down dive at the knees of the nose tackle.

Sure. Because what Gronk did happens almost every football game. Two guys engaged that don't stop after the whistle blows. It was only blown up as bad as it was because the TV rig was there for some inexplicable reason.

What the center did has never ever happened to my knowledge and could have ended someone's career. I have never seen a center on a kneel down dive at the knees of the nose tackle.

Your still proving his point A tossing a player onto a metal camera stand has just as much chance of serious injury and B you don't see that every game well maybe watching the Pats play

Your still proving his point A tossing a player onto a metal camera stand has just as much chance of serious injury and B you don't see that every game well maybe watching the Pats play

It depends if you think it was Gronk's intention was to hurt him. That is debatable. It is also debatable that he even saw the camera stand there.

There is no debate to the chop block. It was dirty and bush league and intentional right from Raiola's mouth.

It depends if you think it was Gronk's intention was to hurt him. That is debatable. It is also debatable that he even saw the camera stand there.

There is no debate to the chop block. It was dirty and bush league and intentional right from Raiola's mouth.

There is no debate at all he was thinking he broke my arm I'll break his back and go to the club and get crunk

Give us all a break here. I actually saw Wilfork stick his finger(s) in Brandon Jacobs eye (if my memory serves me right) during the Week 17 perfect season game. The Big Blue fans were going minty! Cut out the double standards. Every team has a bunch of thugs playing for them, including the Patriots.

You just proved his point . Both plays a player was trying to injure another player

I do think it was bush league but that is not the point

Please... night and day. Gronkowski wasn't trying to injure anyone. Just to embarrass him. If he wanted him hurt he would have hurt him. 

Throwing Sergio into the camera was cool. Get up outta the club Serg.

Give us all a break here. I actually saw Wilfork stick his finger(s) in Brandon Jacobs eye (if my memory serves me right) during the Week 17 perfect season game. The Big Blue fans were going minty! Cut out the double standards. Every team has a bunch of thugs playing for them, including the Patriots.

He was merely giving Jacobs an eye exam. Had legitimate concerns for his fellow NFLer's eyesight. No, really.  ;)

On that drive, the Patriots lined up for a FG and one of the Lions' d-linemen (Mosley) was hit with a personal foul for plowing into the long snapper. It was deliberate and an obvious dirty play. The kick was good but Mosley was hit with a personal foul on the play. So first down, 2:00 to go, at the 1.

Here's a little write-up with a GIF of both plays: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/11/23/7272683/dominic-raiola-lions-patriots-kneeldown-dive

2. The Patriots weren't trying to score... until...

You're mad because the Patriots scored on you when they could have ended the game. Guess what! They weren't trying to score on you when they could have ended the game until a punk move by your teammate. The Patriots had been dutifully trying to run out the clock by giving the ball over and over again to LeGarrette Blount. That brought up fourth down, and the Patriots opted to kick a field goal. That's when C.J. Mosley decided to level the opposing long snapper with a helmet-to-helmet

hit.

mos.0.gif

Yeah they could have taken a knee but I think the final TD was in response to that. Plus Detroit was very chippy throughout the final couple of minutes.  

Could all be true but fact remains NE has been running up scores for years now. 

There is no debate at all he was thinking he broke my arm I'll break his back and go to the club and get crunk

See what I meant with my first post " oh but what gronk did was different blah blah blah" he plays for the pats so it OK to use bush league tactics to injure another player all cause he said he broke my arm Boo hoo " me gronk you break arm I break back ugh"

Over powers another player to the sideline? Maybe it is you who need to look at some tape.

I missed this discussion after the pats game cause I had to "ugh hmm take a vacation" but yes I read the comical B S about how it was a OK to throw Sergio to the ground cause he "deserved it" and seen all the fans approve it

Most teams choose to take a knee when the game can be run out. That's the prevailing  ethic in the NFL. Your opinion is appreciated but I don't think "running up the score" is limited to youth sports. In football they usually stop throwing the ball when the game is clearly out of reach... or take a knee when the clock can be run out. In baseball , teams stop stealing bases and bunting runners over. 

As long as Total Points is a deciding factor in tie breakers, there is no such thing as running up the score.  The Patriots missed out on the playoffs in 2002 in a three way tie for the division, and in 2008 with an 11-5 record..

Don't talk to me about running up the score... It was a 3 score game.. we've all seen comebacks happen with that amount of time left..  The Colts came back from an even larger deficit against the Bucs one year on MNF...

Running up the score.. lol

The guy is a scumbag.. insane cheap shots with intent to injure...   This is also what he did earlier in the game, punching Walker in the back of the head:

http://gfycat.com/PowerlessContentAbyssiniangroundhornbill

A fine is without question... they SHOULD suspend him for a game.

lol, I knew this nonsense was coming..

Now you want to compare 2 guys engaged with each other and one of them shoving him to the ground with a guy who intentionally came off the ball on a kneel down play and tried to blow another guys knee out?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000433398/article/bill-belichick-vince-wilfork-rip-dominic-raiola

The same guy that earlier in the game PUNCHED the same defensive lineman in the head?

Of course you would make that argument... Of course!  Its very easy to see the difference to any intelligent, unbias fan.

Oh, dont forget about this helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless long-snapper right before the "running up the score" TD

mos.0.gif

The Lions are completely dirty, there were threads about it before the game even started because the Lions have caused a lot of injuries to opposing teams this year and those images above are a perfect example of why thats the case.

unbelievable haha

As long as Total Points is a deciding factor in tie breakers, there is no such thing as running up the score.  The Patriots missed out on the playoffs in 2002 in a three way tie for the division, and in 2008 with an 11-5 record..

Don't talk to me about running up the score... It was a 3 score game.. we've all seen comebacks happen with that amount of time left..  The Colts came back from an even larger deficit against the Bucs one year on MNF...

Running up the score.. lol

The guy is a scumbag.. insane cheap shots with intent to injure...   This is also what he did earlier in the game, punching Walker in the back of the head:

A fine is without question... they SHOULD suspend him for a game.

LOL. a late TD vs a non conference team might come into play within he next 100 years .. but probably not. If there is no such thing as "running up the score" as you and some other Pat fans claim , are the rest of us dreaming about some "fabricated etiquette" that teams , fans and the press thinks exist ?

lol. The two plays are night and day different. But nice try.

As soon as I saw the thread title, I turned to my girlfriend and said "just watch, there will be a Colts fan justifying the multitude of dirty hits by Lions players and use Gronk shoving a guy to the ground as an example"

Sure enough, it was only a few posts down!

Because shoving a guy to the ground that you're engaged with, someone who is tugging and jawing with you all game, is the same as PUNCHING a guy in the head, trying to cut a guys knee out and end his season off the final snap of the game on a kneel down and a helmet to helmet shot on a defenseless long snapper.

YUP!  Its all the same!

haha

You just proved his point . Both plays a player was trying to injure another player

I do think it was bush league but that is not the point

lol!!  

Only on this forum will you find people that believe what you just said... Nobody else on any board, across the NFL, heck even the NFL themselves care about what Gronk did to Brown.

He SHOVED HIM TO THE GROUND... Ohhhh boo hoo, poor guy fell down...

Yea, thats totally the same as a punch to the head, an insanely dirty cut block with intent to tear a guys knee up and a helmet to helmet on a long snapper..

Edited by 21isSuperman