Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck having a historically MVP season

Trace Pyott

I still don't think people realize how freaking good Andrew Luck is and will be. It's absolutely scary. If you look at two of Peyton's MVP years he threw 33 and 27 touchdowns and had16 and 12 int. Those 2 years were 2008 and 2009 and manning was in his prime. Andrew has been in the pros 3 freaking years. As of now luck has 29 tds and 10 int. I say he ends up with between 35 and 39 td and 15 int. I'm not trying to make a manning vs luck debate here. I honestly think manning is the greatest qb to ever play the game I'm just comparing arguably the best ever to what luck is and what he could and will be.

I still don't think people realize how freaking good Andrew Luck is and will be. It's absolutely scary. If you look at two of Peyton's MVP years he threw 33 and 27 touchdowns and had16 and 12 int. Those 2 years were 2008 and 2009 and manning was in his prime. Andrew has been in the pros 3 freaking years. As of now luck has 29 tds and 10 int. I say he ends up with between 35 and 39 td and 15 int. I'm not trying to make a manning vs luck debate here. I honestly think manning is the greatest qb to ever play the game I'm just comparing arguably the best ever to what luck is and what he could and will be.

Did you forget Manning's 2004 season where he threw the record 49 Tds? Or last year when he threw 55 at age 37?

I get your point and appreciate it. Luck is a phenomenal QB and I can't wait to see how good he will be as his career continues.

As for MVP, I suppose that will be determined over the next 5 weeks; Luck can definitely be in the running if he continues putting up the numbers.

Yah but manning won those Mvps after the rule changes. I do agree though thst they don't mean as much but manning did put up comparable numbers those 2 years after the rule changes.

Those years were very weak in individual performance. Especially 2008, but 2009 he was leading and undefeated team. He truly didn't lose a regular season game that year. He left the Jets game with the lead and Buffalo it was 7-7.

Luck is up against very tough competition. No one was playing like Rodgers is back in 2008. No one was playing like JJ Watt, or Demarco Murray.

Those years were very weak in individual performance. Especially 2008, but 2009 he was leading and undefeated team. He truly didn't lose a regular season game that year. He left the Jets game with the lead and Buffalo it was 7-7.

Luck is up against very tough competition. No one was playing like Rodgers is back in 2008. No one was playing like JJ Watt, or Demarco Murray.

murray doesnt really impress me much. Kenton keith could run behind that monster oline

If we want to see Luck become the top QB in the league, we need a monster O-line.

I hate to say it (not really but it's true).  Manning is one of the greatest QB's of his era (which put out the best QB's of all time), but the QB position has changed alot, as the game of football.  Andrew Luck WILL be better than Peyton Manning if he stays healthy and plays just as long.  There really isn't a debate about it.  It's not about just stats either.  Comparing careers, early on Andrew has a better team, which makes him a better player, but if Andrew had the O Line like Peyton had most of his career, Luck would be throwing 50 TD's a season now (only if the Colts didn't feel bad about running up the score like the classless Patriots though)!  I've seen multiple games where they let off the gas pedal midway through the 3rd (when Luck already has 300+ yards passing and 2 TD's).  I still have love for Peyton and always will, but the reality is something you cant change, dispite feelings.  Just like Peyton has failed miserably in the playoffs, so he doesn't have the clutch factor like Brady!  Hate it if you want but it's the truth...  Luck has shown tremendous resilliency already in his young career.  So many 4th quarter comebacks, and huge deficits to boot, among leading a sub par team to the playoffs his 1st 2 seasons (Can't count this season because they're not a sub par team anymore; thanks to Luck).  Furthermore Luck has legs to pickup crucial yards, is as smart as Peyton, and has a better arm.  Yes, Andrew is a tad less accurate at times but he doesn't throw ducks like Peyton.

I hate to say it (not really but it's true).  Manning is one of the greatest QB's of his era (which put out the best QB's of all time), but the QB position has changed alot, as the game of football.  Andrew Luck WILL be better than Peyton Manning if he stays healthy and plays just as long.  There really isn't a debate about it.  It's not about just stats either.  Comparing careers, early on Andrew has a better team, which makes him a better player, but if Andrew had the O Line like Peyton had most of his career, Luck would be throwing 50 TD's a season now (only if the Colts didn't feel bad about running up the score like the classless Patriots though)!  I've seen multiple games where they let off the gas pedal midway through the 3rd (when Luck already has 300+ yards passing and 2 TD's).  I still have love for Peyton and always will, but the reality is something you cant change, dispite feelings.  Just like Peyton has failed miserably in the playoffs, so he doesn't have the clutch factor like Brady!  Hate it if you want but it's the truth...  Luck has shown tremendous resilliency already in his young career.  So many 4th quarter comebacks, and huge deficits to boot, among leading a sub par team to the playoffs his 1st 2 seasons (Can't count this season because they're not a sub par team anymore; thanks to Luck).  Furthermore Luck has legs to pickup crucial yards, is as smart as Peyton, and has a better arm.  Yes, Andrew is a tad less accurate at times but he doesn't throw ducks like Peyton.

Do you know what you are implying with this post? Manning is going to own every passing record when he retires. Depending on how many years he plays, he could amass more than 80,000 passing yards and more than 600 TDs. Those numbers are mind boggling. And then there are his five league MVPs which I don't think personally will be broken by any player ever. And he could potentially win his six this year. He also has the most historic season ever posted by a QB just last year at age 37 after four neck surgeries. And his post-season while marred somewhat by the one done's still includes a ring and two other SB appearances.

I like Luck an awful lot but the odds are really long that his career comes close to Mannings.

He has been in a daze the last 3 games. Kinda hit the wall.

Luck has the potential to be great but he still double clutches too much and is too indecisive too much of the time to be considered in that elite category yet

Not in an elite category? I guess leading the Colts to the number one offense is not good enough for you to rate him elite? Tough opinion but not shared by a lot.

Not in an elite category? I guess leading the Colts to the number one offense is not good enough for you to rate him elite? Tough opinion but not shared by a lot.

It is a tough opinion and I think he's headed in the right direction and that he will eventually get there.  But with a completion percentage well below 65% and his double clutching it's hard to consider him elite just yet.

Lastly, I don't concern myself if my opinion is shared by many, few or none.

It is a tough opinion and I think he's headed in the right direction and that he will eventually get there.  But with a completion percentage well below 65% and his double clutching it's hard to consider him elite just yet.

That's real apparent.

That's real apparent.

I have never pretended otherwise.  But that aside, would you care to discuss the points I mentioned about Luck.  Because I'm not so firm in my opinion that I could not be convinced otherwise, the double clutching and completion percentage are just some of the things I look at. 

Two other things I look at (yards per attempt and yards per completion) he is very good (7.8  and 12.4).

I have never pretended otherwise.  But that aside, would you care to discuss the points I mentioned about Luck.  Because I'm not so firm in my opinion that I could not be convinced otherwise, the double clutching and completion percentage are just some of the things I look at. 

Two other things I look at (yards per attempt and yards per completion) he is very good (7.8  and 12.4).

There are a lot of things to consider when it come to Luck. Luck has made history in his first 2 1/2 years. He walked onto a team that was a total rebuild and won 11 games as a rookie. He has set just about all the passing records that could be thought of in those first 2 1/2 seasons. He is far the MVP of the Colts, There are things to take into consideration besides stats. Heart and the willing to never give up says a lot about a player. He has been a true leader from day one. All these attributes make for an elite QB IMO.

I think it depends on what what metrics you are using to define elite, and what the cut-off is for elite (i.e., top 5, top 10). For example, going into last week, Luck was 3rd in DYAR and 6th in DVOA (Manning is 1st in both, Rodgers is 2nd in both, and Brady is 4th and 3rd, respectively). These two football outsiders metrics are pretty solid in overall evaluation of a player. Using them, Luck has to be considered elite (unless the cut off of elite is top 2). That said, in other metrics, he might not rank as elite.

I don't get too caught up in the elite vs. not-elite conversation. Luck still has some warts, but man, he sure is special for a 3rd year player and possesses other intangibles that don't always show up in the stat sheet. If I had to choose a QB for 1-3 years, Luck would be in that conversation. If I had to choose a QB for the next 4 plus years, the choice would be between Luck and Rodgers. I think that's pretty much general consensus circling inside of and around the NFL--that says a lot about how good Luck is and how good he can be if he continues to grow. 

If we want to see Luck become the top QB in the league, we need a monster O-line.

If Luck can put up these numbers with such a bad line wait until we get a good one because he could break all the major records. Right now, though the man in the driver seat for MVP is Aaron Rogers.

He has been in a daze the last 3 games. Kinda hit the wall.

Wow, your comments keep getting worse.

I think it depends on what what metrics you are using to define elite, and what the cut-off is for elite (i.e., top 5, top 10). For example, going into last week, Luck was 3rd in DYAR and 6th in DVOA (Manning is 1st in both, Rodgers is 2nd in both, and Brady is 4th and 3rd, respectively). These two football outsiders metrics are pretty solid in overall evaluation of a player. Using them, Luck has to be considered elite (unless the cut off of elite is top 2). That said, in other metrics, he might not rank as elite.

I don't get too caught up in the elite vs. not-elite conversation. Luck still has some warts, but man, he sure is special for a 3rd year player and possesses other intangibles that don't always show up in the stat sheet. If I had to choose a QB for 1-3 years, Luck would be in that conversation. If I had to choose a QB for the next 4 plus years, the choice would be between Luck and Rodgers. I think that's pretty much general consensus circling inside of and around the NFL--that says a lot about how good Luck is and how good he can be if he continues to grow. 

Not much to disagree with in this post.  Well stated and I agree he is far along and well on his way to being considered "elite".  He just has some things to work on to get there, IMO.