Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

70,000 yards

oldunclemark

Stats mean nothing unless you win the Super Bowl.

People rode Favre reminding us how bad he was for every stat he got at the end of his career...but not the chosen one for some reason.

I don't remember anyone saying Favre was bad after he retired, any of the times. Heck he was 1 poor decision from the superbowl. Not to mention he was playing injured due to head hunting for money. But you know all about that.

I don't remember anyone saying Favre was bad after he retired, any of the times. Heck he was 1 poor decision from the superbowl. Not to mention he was playing injured due to head hunting for money. But you know all about that.

He made some very poor decisions, both on and off the field. 

I'm only speaking of on field, And every qb does. Doesn't mean they weren't great. Which Favre was, and I don't think there is anyone out there who's in the know, would say otherwise.

I personally find Favre overrated.  Great physical skills, but mental errors that overcame those skills in too many crucial situations.

Packers fans used to find it astounding that fans of other teams did not consider Favre TGOAT.  It was just an accepted fact.  Well now he's not even the greatest Packer QB of all time.  He's certainly not on my list of top 10 all time QBs.

I personally find Favre overrated. Great physical skills, but mental errors that overcame those skills in too many crucial situations.

Packers fans used to find it astounding that fans of other teams did not consider Favre TGOAT. It was just an accepted fact. Well now he's not even the greatest Packer QB of all time. He's certainly not on my list of top 10 all time QBs.

And that fair enough. But you don't get all those records and superbowls without being a great QB.

Favre won 1 Super Bowl.  I don't think that equates to "all those". 

Every QB who wins a SB is not among the greatest. 

By the way, check out Favre's stats, and note that his highest QB rating came in 2009.  107.9, well above his career average of rooughly 85%.  Another indication that the gaudy stats being comiled by every QB today are dilued when compared against days of yore.

Couldn't agree less......JM....Yards are not a meaning less stat. Yards and first downs are the key offensive stats to me

and 70,000 yards is a little more impressive than the TD record because its consistency..

3,500 a year for 20 years is 70,000...Only Brett Farve has done it...

If you go 99 yards and don't score a touchdown, then those yards are meaningless.

If you toss a shovel pass to a RB and he breaks 10 tackles and goes 80 yards, those are meaningless to the QB.

If you're getting blown out and the defense goes into a soft prevent, those yards are meaningless.

Key offensive stats are completion percentage, 3rd down conversions, time of possession and redzone offense

However many yards are gained don't matter, just that they lead to points.

Denver against NE moved the ball well between the 20s, which is easy especially in a loaded offense, but they couldn't score any touchdowns so why are those yards celebrated?

Couldn't agree less......JM....Yards are not a meaning less stat. Yards and first downs are the key offensive stats to me

and 70,000 yards is a little more impressive than the TD record because its consistency..

3,500 a year for 20 years is 70,000...Only Brett Farve has done it...

There's an NFL term that coaches and players use called "empty yards". Peyton had 450 or so yards in a Patriots thumping. Those were "empty yards".

If you go 99 yards and don't score a touchdown, then those yards are meaningless. (NO....field posituon

If you toss a shovel pass to a RB and he breaks 10 tackles and goes 80 yards, those are meaningless to the QB. (NO..the TD counts)

If you're getting blown out and the defense goes into a soft prevent, those yards are meaningless. (Unless you rally to win like Denver did last week)

Key offensive stats are completion percentage, 3rd down conversions, time of possession and redzone offense (You need yards per compleetion and points scored by the offense. You don't have to be in the red zone (a made up place) to score)

Denver against NE moved the ball well between the 20s, which is easy especially in a loaded offense, but they couldn't score any touchdowns so why are those yards celebrated? (You're obviously not taking about last year's AFC title game)

You cant really make a SERIOUS argument that passing for 70,000 yards in 20 seasons is meaningless, can you?

If you go 99 yards and don't score a touchdown, then those yards are meaningless.

If you toss a shovel pass to a RB and he breaks 10 tackles and goes 80 yards, those are meaningless to the QB.

If you're getting blown out and the defense goes into a soft prevent, those yards are meaningless.

Key offensive stats are completion percentage, 3rd down conversions, time of possession and redzone offense

Denver against NE moved the ball well between the 20s, which is easy especially in a loaded offense, but they couldn't score any touchdowns so why are those yards celebrated?

I agree that yards are not ALWAYS a meaningful stat but you're looking at it in a micro environment (a play or a game) rather than a macro (a career).  Since the QB who obtains 70,000 yards passing did not do it by throwing 875 shovel passes that the RB took 80 yards, nor did he throw a pass for 99 yards 707 times and fail to score.  Nor did all those yards come against soft, prevent defenses.  So to point out those examples when looking at a career is a bit self serving.

But no matter what, in most endeavors but specifically sports, when someone does something positive that no other player has done in the history of the sport, it's a pretty big deal and evidence that player is among the best at that position.

I agree that yards are not ALWAYS a meaningful stat but you're looking at it in a micro environment (a play or a game) rather than a macro (a career).  Since the QB who obtains 70,000 yards passing did not do it by throwing 875 shovel passes that the RB took 80 yards, nor did he throw a pass for 99 yards 707 times and fail to score.  Nor did all those yards come against soft, prevent defenses.  So to point out those examples when looking at a career is a bit self serving.

But no matter what, in most endeavors but specifically sports, when someone does something positive that no other player has done in the history of the sport, it's a pretty big deal and evidence that player is among the best at that position.

I would say that's a pretty good summation. Couldn't say it better.

The only stat that matters is a win right? Without it, all other stats are pointless.  But wait, you can suck badly and your defense can win you a Super Bowl.  So maybe wins don't mean anything when evaluating a career right?  Oh, and those "key" stats you talk about, those are ALSO bolstered when you're getting blown out and the defense is playing soft, just the same as yards and points are bolstered. 

So what matters? The entire package.  Wins, losses, who you beat and who you lost to, and the measuring tools that are stats.  First, it's a game and stats are a FUN part of a GAME.  It is part o the entertainment which is all that Football is in the end.  Fantasy football is FAR more popular than the games in which the stats occur.  It causes people to follow players who play for your favorite teams rivals, and teams that have losing records, but a stud a WR.  So it's reasonable and fair to consider stats when summarizing greatness in the game.  It isn't just how many rings you have because the back ups get rings too.  Stats are the individual measurement of what is the ultimate team sport and belittling someone because they appreciate one set of stats and you only appreciate a different set is silly.  It's a game.  It's a team sport and should be viewed as such when it comes down to it.  The Colts won or they lost right?  But as entertainment, there are MANY things that matter.  Sort of like Beckham Jr's All Time Greatest Catch in a losing game... he said it meant nothing due to that, I say nonsense... it was still the greatest athletic catch in the highest level the game is played in.  It would be laughed at in a videogame as too over the top and unrealistic, that's how mind blowing it was.  Yes, the Giants LOST the game, but Beckham Jr. has an all time great moment in the history of the sport which people will remember long after they've forgotten who won a particular Super Bowl in a particular year if it wasn't their team or their favorite players.  70K yards is a lot.  I think it's a fun stat which means as much as the beholder wants to hold it in regard.  Emmitt Smith's rushing totals don't move me much, but I wouldn't hassle someone who marveled over them.  Let them enjoy the game the way they want and appreciate the aspects that matter to them.  There will never be an all inclusive set of factors for greatness everyone equally agrees with.  Get over it.  

The only statistic that matters is winning.

Many of Manning's stats are empty. He's had many opportunities but does not find a way to win the big games.  He is always running up empty stats in garbage time or against bad teams.  George Steinbrenner once referred to Dave Winfield as "Mr. May" to contrast him with Reggie Jackson, "Mr. October".  Manning is the "Mr. October" of football.  Manning is 11 wins, 12 losses in the postseason.  Manning has 8 one-and-dones in the postseason in the 13 times his team has made the playoffs.  ONE game-winning drive in the playoffs.  ONE comeback win in the playoffs. 

Can't compare to Johnny Unitas, 6-2 playoff record, including comeback wins in 1959 and 1958.  Or Joe Montana, 16 playoff wins, 7 losses.  5 comeback victories in the playoffs. 5 game-winning drives in the playoffs. Or Bart Starr, 9-1 in the playoffs. Roger Staubach, playoff record 11-6.  Troy Aikman, 11-4 in the playoffs.  The much-ridiculed Terry Bradshaw, 14-5 in the playoffs, with 4 game-winning drives. All these guys are in the HOF.  Why does "TGOAT" compare so poorly with these players?

The stats of today are the product of the NFL's tinkering with the officiating and favoring high-octane offense.  Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Rivers etc - all are putting up stats that have never been seen before.  The National Fantasy Football League is in full swing today.

Stats mean nothing unless you win the Super Bowl.

People rode Favre reminding us how bad he was for every stat he got at the end of his career...but not the chosen one for some reason.

As much as I cannot stomach Manning, what he's accomplished is leaps and bounds more than Favre.

Favre is a perfect example of people being enamored with a single stat like touchdowns and ignoring a stat that's equally, if not more important... interceptions.

Who cares if someone threw for more touchdowns than anyone if they also threw more interceptions than anyone as well.

That just means they slung it all over the place like it was the wild wild west, sometimes it worked out and a lot of times it didn't

I'd be ashamed and embarrassed to know that I've made more bad throws and mental mistakes than anyone else in the history of the league... but your average fan will juse fixate on the touchdowns and yards and go mental over them

They aren't fans of anything unless its tommy related if tommy boy did this they would be singing praises

This simply isnt true.. when Brady passed 50,000 yards it was a pretty general yawn factor from the Patriots board. Nobody really cared, me included.

Ever since 2004 after Polian got them to change the rules in how they called games, stats have been out of control in the passing game.

This is a byproduct of more casual fans watching the sport anD keeping them entertained and tuning in with fantasy football and lots of passing and touchdowns

Casual fans don't appreciate the defensive side of the ball at all. To them it's just 11 jerseys running around chasing the person with the ball.

I think this record is the least impressive of probably many in his career but his longevity and excellence is impossible to ignore. Having all the records in stats doesn't make him the greatest of all time...there is no denying that...but it does show a great deal of credit that he is ONE of the greatest of all time. He has been to 3 SBs and won a one. He has tons of wins to his resume and tons of stats....he is an all-time great in ANY book and thats all that needs to be said. 70,000 IS impressive over a career....but in the end I don't think any of that matters any more to him...he wants to win another SB....that has always been his goal each and every year....just like any other players...and while I'm sure he is proud of his stats he plays to win....trust me that look on his face after a defeat or bad play isn't because he didn't get a TD record or something...he hates to lose and plays to win....stats are just a part of the game....and him getting them is a part of him trying to make his team successful. This isn't the most important record I agree but its not unimpressive either...a great career...especially AFTER a career threatening injury that he suffered. He has worked hard and playing pretty well considering what he has had to overcome...that can't be denied. He has a lot of heart.

If you amassed 70,000 career passing yards, you helped your team win some ballgames.

If a baseball player collected 4,000 hits over a career, we wouldn't call that meaningless.

Very good parallel...yards in football...are hits in baseball..

They do not score....but almost all scores in baseball ad footballhave to do with hits and yards.

,,aagn..70,000 yards in 20 years is 3500 yards a year for a generation. Hope he makes it this year...and if he does..that speaks well for where Denver will finish up