Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South Draft-Quarterbacks?

I love to talk Colts Football, and I believe as long as we are doing that, we should be considering what is going to happen in our division as far as the draft. QB is always the one position to look at, and 2 out of 3 teams not named the Colts in our division are going to be looking at QB. Question is what will happen, especially looking at where they will be drafting.

I think two QB's in this draft are considered to be possibly very good. You never know for sure with QB's but they are the two who have separated themselves. Mariotta and Winston. Mariotta has no character concerns, but he comes out of the spread, and reading the field is going to be the question, since he cannot run the ball like he does at Oregon. Just ask RGIII.

Winston is the 2nd QB considered elite, and of course the questions with him are all character. I think he looks better from a Pro perspective than Mariotta, but once again, can you trust him and can he be the face of the franchise. I am sure QB's will sneak in like Hundley, Petty, etc. but those two are the cream of the crop.

Jacksonville- One win with 5 to play, and if the draft was today, they would have the number one due to SOS weakness. at least that is my guess considering our league.

My question is, after 13 games once the season is over, would they possibly think of going with Mariotta or Winston, and away from Bortles? I don't think so, since he was number 3 overall this year, and they knew he was raw, but felt he had the highest upside. I think they would look to trade down, and several teams are going to want to trade up for the two QB's mentioned.

Tennessee- Two wins with 5 to play, very weak SOS, so if they win one or two more, they are still going to be top 5 most likely. I know they like Mariotta, from all I have read, and Mettzenberger is not the answer long term, at least I don't think so.

Houston- They are in between a rock and hard place. They will probably be drafting in the low teens, and I don't believe from the little I have seen of Mallett, especially today he is the answer long term. Too soon to make that call, but he was wildly inaccurate today with poor decision making. Hundley has fallen down in the draft, although who knows what will happen after the combine, but would they consider someone like him, or even trade up?

I want us to go pure defense unless a stud LT who we can put on the right side falls, and that is very possible. My question though is, what do you think the three teams do in our league as far as QB, and considering where they will pick? Who would/should they go after. Have you been happy with what you have seen from Bortles? Thoughts please!

Zero chance Jack goes QB. Tenn very good chance if they like one of the two guys you mention. Houston has very little invested in Savage or Mallettt. They should finish around 8-8 , so not in a great spot to go Qb , especially as it appears to be on the weak side. But they can go any any direction they please with no consequences.

As we stand today , I still only see one legit QB in the AFC South. Not saying those guys we mentioned are all busts , but they all have a lot to prove.

Jacksonville needs help on their O-line and defense. Their receiving group is pretty good, particularly Allen Robinson. Bortles has some upside but he's too raw and playing behind a weak line exposes that. But no they don't need a QB.

Tennessee could go QB, but whether they can snag one of the top 2... That might depend on where they're drafting and maybe on whether they like one of them enough to trade up. While he's done nothing but lose, Mettenberger is actually doing a decent job for the time being so it's not the worst thing in the world if they roll with him for another year.

Houston will probably consider QB the number 1 need if Mallett doesn't impress them here down the stretch. They won't be bad enough to have a shot at landing Mariota (assuming nothing kills his stock between now and the draft) and could only get Winston if his character issues are a big enough concern for several QB needy teams ahead of them (which is not a good thing).

Indianapolis still need to fix their offensive line... But at least we've got the QB.

We might see 2 new faces at best. I liked Mettenberger coming out, but Tennessee isn't the place for him to be successful. I thought Whisenhunt showed in Arizona that he can't develop QB's. But this is a week class. It's either Mariota or bust. Connor Cook may be something, but none of the top guys have impressed. I liked Mannion but he's nothing special.

For that reason I don't expect to see that many new QB's under center. You'll see the Jaguars drafting a new QB soon though once they realize Bortles is a bust.

No one will be drafting Connor Cook. He has said publicly just last week he is coming back for his final year. I think it is a good choice. Many had him pegged as a possible first round QB. Must be based on potential since he seems very inconsistent, and his footwork needs refinement. Good choice for him to make. I agree Jax won't go QB, but I think someone is going to want to go up and grab Mariota. Last thing I want is for someone to give Jacksonville what Washington gave up to get RGIII, but Mariotta and Winston are not nearly as highly regarded coming out.

No one will be drafting Connor Cook. He has said publicly just last week he is coming back for his final year. I think it is a good choice. Many had him pegged as a possible first round QB. Must be based on potential since he seems very inconsistent, and his footwork needs refinement. Good choice for him to make. I agree Jax won't go QB, but I think someone is going to want to go up and grab Mariota. Last thing I want is for someone to give Jacksonville what Washington gave up to get RGIII, but Mariotta and Winston are not nearly as highly regarded coming out.

I don't know if you will see another deal like that again.  RG3 busted bad and teams may be weary of selling the next 2 years worth of first round picks to land a QB.

Don't see a trade for Manziel. Hoyer has been to up and down, and if he plays well down the stretch and asks for big bucks, then I think Cleveland will use Manziel as leverage. Plus, Manziel is a very cheap backup QB. We don't know if he will be good, but economics say he stays in Cleveland unless someone is willing to give a number one for him. I would not. Especially since it seems he still does not get it. I know the assault is not a big deal, but it still shows immaturity. Being out at 2:30 AM when you are leaving in the afternoon for a game the next day is just an indicator for me. Throw that in with the big unknown of how good he will be, and I would not give up more than a late 2nd, imho.