Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what can be done to fix the o line?

RockThatBlue

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need to look at all possibilities of what is causing this poor play, which I'm sure the team is already doing/will do. Is it the coaching and the techniques they are teaching? Is it the blocking scheme required by the offense? Is it the lack of talent up front?

I look at the Packers. If I'm not mistaken, they have one first round draft pick and he was moved to RT. The rest of the guys were developed, or are new guys worked in. Their QB a is similar to our in physical ability. Their passing game is outstanding.

Point being, they move the rock when they need to. I really think it's 90% coaching at fault. Lanes are just not there.

That's hilarious! I wouldn't be surprised if some coach considered it.

Seriously though, I really think it's the coaching and the blocking schemes. I'm not an expert on O Line blocking, but it seems that there are teams with less talent doing more with them.

I agree, we have had guys come through here and we always get the same stuff, mediocre or bad. We see all these other teams we play just kill our line and the week before and following it, they never even touch the QB. I think we have more issue with coaching/technique/scheme fit than we do talent. Maybe our strength coach doesn't work on lower leg strength. Something has to change, it can't be this tough to find a competent oline over the years.

First don't play people out of their best position..ie// Reitz at Tackle

should have had this in today as line

Castonzo, Mewhort, Shipley, Reitz, & Nixon.

Coaching !!!  it's the problem !

NE looses their long time Oline coach and trade their best Oline player and 3 games later they are gelling into  one of the better Olines... 

GB ... has made their Oline better... again coaching...

I look at the Packers. If I'm not mistaken, they have one first round draft pick and he was moved to RT. The rest of the guys were developed, or are new guys worked in. Their QB a is similar to our in physical ability. Their passing game is outstanding.

Point being, they move the rock when they need to. I really think it's 90% coaching at fault. Lanes are just not there.

I don't know enough about what kind of blocking our offense requires to say that the blocking scheme is not to blame.  But it could be coaching, too.  I think the number one culprit is a lack of talent

I don't know enough about what kind of blocking our offense requires to say that the blocking scheme is not to blame.  But it could be coaching, too.  I think the number one culprit is a lack of talent

I don't claim to be an expert either, just giving my opinion. I see other teams with talent no better than ours who have decent running attacks. I think the Pack is a great example.

If the talent isn't good enough to execute the schemes, then it makes sense to change the schemes.

I'll defer to the experts, but I thinks our problem is more coaching than talent.

I'm definitely not an expert, but I would say coaching is the problem. Last year Satele was the scapegoat along with McGlynn. This year, at Miami, Satele seems to be getting praised. How can a guy turn it around so fast or was coaching the issue. Could it have been scheme? I don't know. What I do know is that something is desperately wrong with this line.

IMO it's a mix of coaching and the blocking scheme . We use man to man blocking we expect our lineman to drive back defenders creating creases for the running back . That only works if your linemen are bigger and stronger than the D linemen . It also makes it harder to pick up blitz because you get the choice to slip off your man or let a someone get into your backfield freely . That's why so many run plays get negative yards . Most teams use zone blocking using double teams and angular blocking to create designed holes for the running back I prefer that style your line works as a group to create isn't not just hoping one of your lineman beats his man and creates a hole .

Well, Trent is part of the problem. IMO, he seems to feel that the line isn't very good, so his confidence is down causing him to be tentative. Boom hits the hole like a RB should, full of confidence and expectation to make something happen. That just doesn't show in Trents play. If all the RB's that go in with the same OL gain more yards than he does, it says something about him. I really feel that a lot of his issue is between his ears. Confidence and the mental aspects get overlooked a lot.

Trent gets the majority of runs inside the tackle, where we have 2 rookies and 1 sup par 2nd year guard.  Ahmad and Boom are quicker guys and bounce a lot of runs outside, Where we have veteran Tackles..  Trent is more of a power back up the middle so the interior blocking is much more critical, but that is where we lack experience.

It comes down to being undisciplined in there technique

-I see to many times O Linemen coming out of there stance flat backed to which means D Linemen have an easier time getting underneath them and our D Linemen lose all or most of there ability to drive block that way

-Most importantly bad footwork....If footworks back then everything else is gonna look bad, Use your footwork to guide your hands

-To much of one thing in football becomes a predictable thing.......In other words.....Lets use less drive blocking and more Gap/Zone/Angle Blocks to compliment each other...I know Joe Gilbert teaches a variety of blocking schemes yet the majority of what is called seems to be based on Man Scheme...To me in my opinion this part is on Pep to call run plays when running the ball that take advantage of matchups and personnel

My criticism of Pep aside we have a very young undisciplined O Line right now and until they get more consistent in there techniques then we will continue to struggle no matter the blocking scheme

A solid veteran would help I think, Don't have to be elite or great but we need one right now, Only so much an O Line coach can say that will help, Some players just need to see it done correctly to get it

I wish Pagano would seriously be a dang COACH and make some changes seriously. It's so frustrating to see the same crap over and over again. Yes sure he switched centers but he should have shuffled that entire O-Line around by now testing different combinations to get the best he can.

Like RUSAK said...wait 2 years...because it's not happening this year. Next year it definitely could improve with acquiring free agent lineman and/or trading for one. Sure we might get some in the draft but any that make the impact we need TODAY...NOW? nope...just not going to happen :(

1.  Hope Gosder gets healthy.

2.  I thought the line played got better after Thornton left with his injury.  Maybe it's time to give up on Thornton.

If we replace Thornton at guard who do we put in there?  Reitz??

I'm also for moving back to Shipley or giving Holmes a shot.  I'm not sure what's going on with him.

If we replace Thornton at guard who do we put in there? Reitz??

I'm also for moving back to Shipley or giving Holmes a shot. I'm not sure what's going on with him.

shipley came in yesterday and played better. Also they tried Nixon after Thornton got hurt until he got hurt too. Reitz is an option too but I think he's better on the left side of the line. I have no judgement on Holmes just because we have never seen him but he's an option too. So there are some options.

Regardless they really need to look at the right guard spot this off-season because Thornton looks more and more like a bust every week.

We need to get New England's o-line coach lol.

Do you mean the coach who retired after 2013 season or the guy who has coached 11 games?

The Colts need someone to draft and develop players.  Obviously, the Patriots had such a guy and his replacement did pretty well after trading away their most high-profile lineman.  I'm not sure who is really behind the success of the o-line with the Patriots, but the fact that Scarnechia retired and his replacement was able to mold a disaster through 4 games into a cohesive unit would seem to indicate it is more than one person.  Or maybe it is one person - Belichick.

Shipley needs to start at center. The line was better with him

Thornton doesn't seem healthy to me

I don't believe that they are going to make a move at center, the coaches obviously see better work out of Harrison.

Thornton may be hurt, I heard he had a knee issue yesterday, but he is getting abused by whatever D lineman is lining up against him.

Tired of this even being an issue. The staff has failed on all levels in regards to addressing the trenches. We looked good for awhile, but it's apparent we still don't have the proper talent or coaching on the line. The thing most troubling is the lack of a real plan to address this. I think Grigson and co are just tinkering with the line, at this point

Tired of this even being an issue. The staff has failed on all levels in regards to addressing the trenches. We looked good for awhile, but it's apparent we still don't have the proper talent or coaching on the line. The thing m

We've drafted O-Linemen and signed some every year and it's been a disappointment. I honestly think it's coaching.

shipley came in yesterday and played better. Also they tried Nixon after Thornton got hurt until he got hurt too. Reitz is an option too but I think he's better on the left side of the line. I have no judgement on Holmes just because we have never seen him but he's an option too. So there are some options.

Regardless they really need to look at the right guard spot this off-season because Thornton looks more and more like a bust every week.

not true

Shipley didn't really look better. Nixon still played after Shipley came in

I don't believe that they are going to make a move at center, the coaches obviously see better work out of Harrison.

Thornton may be hurt, I heard he had a knee issue yesterday, but he is getting abused by whatever D lineman is lining up against him.

not true

Thornton struggled with marks. Not any lineman