Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is there any chance Luck's new deal...

Briggs32

not as much as people are talking about?  We all know he deserves to get paid and is already one of the best QBs in the game.  Would 6 years for 90 million be something we try and something he would take instead of a 20 million plus a year contract.  He is a great team player and signing for less would allow other extensions like Hilton's and Allen's while still building a contender.  Just something I was wondering.  Although I would love to see a 6 year 72 million contract...but I don't think he'll sign that low.

not as much as people are talking about?  We all know he deserves to get paid and is already one of the best QBs in the game.  Would 6 years for 90 million be something we try and something he would take instead of a 20 million plus a year contract.  He is a great team player and signing for less would allow other extensions like Hilton's and Allen's while still building a contender.  Just something I was wondering.  Although I would love to see a 6 year 72 million contract...but I don't think he'll sign that low.

not as much as people are talking about? We all know he deserves to get paid and is already one of the best QBs in the game. Would 6 years for 90 million be something we try and something he would take instead of a 20 million plus a year contract. He is a great team player and signing for less would allow other extensions like Hilton's and Allen's while still building a contender. Just something I was wondering. Although I would love to see a 6 year 72 million contract...but I don't think he'll sign that low.

I'm not as worried about shelling out 23 million now as I would have been two years ago. Percentage wise, 23m is similar to the old 19 or 20 in terms of total cap so it isn't that bad. I don't see him taking lower than 18 or 19. Probably will get the 23m. If they offer him 15 he would probably take it as an insult. 

I once thought he'd be giving the Colts a modest hometown discount because he's simply not money driven.

But, as the number one pick in the 2012 draft and a player perceived to be among the top-10 quarterbacks by almost everyone and a top-5 QB by many, I think he'll be under huge pressure to to take a full value deal.

The NFLPA will tell him he's got a responsibility to protect other players.    That if Luck takes less,  owners will tell all other players to take less as well.     The pressure will be enormous and relentless.

So,  I'm now expecting something like 6/150 (25 per)  or maybe even something like 8/200 and make him the first 200 million dollar NFL player.

The team can afford a 25 million dollar contract.    There will be a new TV deal soon and that will push the team salary cap way up.     Currently,  it's about 132 Mill....    The projections are it's going up to 150 and 160 and 170 within a few years.

The Colts can afford this.   Grigson and his staff have prepared for this.    We'll be able to keep all the players we want to keep.

I once thought he'd be giving the Colts a modest hometown discount because he's simply not money driven.

But, as the number one pick in the 2012 draft and a player perceived to be among the top-10 quarterbacks by almost everyone and a top-5 QB by many, I think he'll be under huge pressure to to take a full value deal.

The NFLPA will tell him he's got a responsibility to protect other players.    That if Luck takes less,  owners will tell all other players to take less as well.     The pressure will be enormous and relentless.

So,  I'm now expecting something like 6/150 (25 per)  or maybe even something like 8/200 and make him the first 200 million dollar NFL player.

The team can afford a 25 million dollar contract.    There will be a new TV deal soon and that will push the team salary cap way up.     Currently,  it's about 132 Mill....    The projections are it's going up to 150 and 160 and 170 within a few years.

The Colts can afford this.   Grigson and his staff have prepared for this.    We'll be able to keep all the players we want to keep.

not as much as people are talking about? We all know he deserves to get paid and is already one of the best QBs in the game. Would 6 years for 90 million be something we try and something he would take instead of a 20 million plus a year contract. He is a great team player and signing for less would allow other extensions like Hilton's and Allen's while still building a contender. Just something I was wondering. Although I would love to see a 6 year 72 million contract...but I don't think he'll sign that low.

As much as he carried this team, he deserves $200 mill

I'm not as worried about shelling out 23 million now as I would have been two years ago. Percentage wise, 23m is similar to the old 19 or 20 in terms of total cap so it isn't that bad. I don't see him taking lower than 18 or 19. Probably will get the 23m. If they offer him 15 he would probably take it as an insult.

Plus, the cap will get higher each year. He's one of the top 5 QBs in the league, he should be paid as such.

Luck is not Tom Brady, and his first contract should be 20M plus a year, especially when you look at the QB's who have gotten contracts lately, and what they were paid. I would love to get a deal done soon though, since 20M a year, locked up for the next 7 years, including next year and his option year, we could spread his salary out. 20M a year will look cheap once the new TV revenue continues to increase the cap.

Obviously, but I hope there is some give with Luck and his agent and some negotiations on the team's part.

Some give with Luck? When you are one of the top QBs in the league you get paid. I would imagine Irsay and Grigson will pay him what he wants without much hassle. Irsay at one time paid Manning according to what he was worth and I don't see any difference with Luck.

Luck is not Tom Brady, and his first contract should be 20M plus a year, especially when you look at the QB's who have gotten contracts lately, and what they were paid. I would love to get a deal done soon though, since 20M a year, locked up for the next 7 years, including next year and his option year, we could spread his salary out. 20M a year will look cheap once the new TV revenue continues to increase the cap.

I understand with what you are saying but for Luck to discount his contract that much would be unreal. Brady's contract is 14th on the list of highest paid QBs. There is some surprising names on the list that make more than Brady. In order- Cutler, Flacco, Kaepernick, Rogers, Romo, Ryan, Brees, E. Manning, P. Manning, Dalton, Rivers, Roethlisburger and Bradford all have contracts worth more than Brady's. It would be nice to get some cap room but that is more than likely not going to happen.

I highly doubt Luck will sign anything under $100 MIL.

He is one of the few QB's in this league that should be paid over $100 MIL...he is the franchise, he is young, he plays like a PRO BOWLER every year.

After Manning & Brady retire he will be the QB that new rookies in the league will be looking up to and become.

There is such a thing as being a team player in terms of not putting your team through the ringer for every penny.  But no one takes a contract that is that far below what they are worth.  

There is no way he'd take a 15 M APY contract on his first contract after his rookie deal.  That is just not happening and offering him that would be an insult. 

That's less money per year then Jay Cutler, Eli Manning, Alex Smith, Joe Flacco and Andy Dalton.  And way below the good and above average dudes.  

The only QB that really took less then what they are worth when they signed was Tom Brady.  But that guy's in his late 30's, he's not getting his first big post rookie contract. 

So no I don't think that's going to happen.  The Colt's wouldn't even offer something that low because his agent would call it insulting and to call back when they where interested in actually negotiating a contract on Andrew Luck.

The NFLPA will not say boo to Luck if he takes less. They didn't say a word to Brady when he signed his ridiculous extension two years ago that will pay him $7 mil in base salary next season.

Luck can do whatever he wants and if he is like Brady and would prefer to leave money to build a winning team, more power to him. I love what Brady has done for the Patriots over the years.

The NFLPA will not say boo to Luck if he takes less. They didn't say a word to Brady when he signed his ridiculous extension two years ago that will pay him $7 mil in base salary next season.

Luck can do whatever he wants and if he is like Brady and would prefer to leave money to build a winning team, more power to him. I love what Brady has done for the Patriots over the years.

Brady didn't do that in earlier contracts. He is playing for his legacy now so that he can win a Super Bowl post spygate. That is his motivation, while Luck needs to get paid as a young NFL player in his first big contract.

Brady didn't do that in earlier contracts. He is playing for his legacy now so that he can win a Super Bowl post spygate. That is his motivation, while Luck needs to get paid as a young NFL player in his first big contract.

He did in 2004 after his third SB win. He signed a six year deal for $60 mil. Manning at the time was making $14 mil a year. Brady took less his first chance to make big money. That being said, I am not saying Luck SHOULD do that. Brady is a rare bird. Winning is almost an illness with him.

He did in 2004 after his third SB win. He signed a six year deal for $60 mil. Manning at the time was making $14 mil a year. Brady took less his first chance to make big money. That being said, I am not saying Luck SHOULD do that. Brady is a rare bird. Winning is almost an illness with him.

It's a good illness to have. I wish Flacco and Linta would have done that, but we rarely get home town discounts on Baltimore. I can see Irsay giving Luck big money to showcase he is the highest paid quarterback. Brady seems to have that puritanical mindset from Bellichick drilled into him, and will take less money for the sake of winning.

It's a good illness to have. I wish Flacco and Linta would have done that, but we rarely get home town discounts on Baltimore. I can see Irsay giving Luck big money to showcase he is the highest paid quarterback. Brady seems to have that puritanical mindset from Bellichick drilled into him, and will take less money for the sake of winning.

I think with Flacco he wanted to stick it to the Ravens a bit because he felt their off-season offer was too low. Of course, winning the Super Bowl helped his cause. ;)

What do you think of tonight's game? A goodie in New Orleans. I think you win and keep the North muddled up for the division.

I think with Flacco he wanted to stick it to the Ravens a bit because he felt their off-season offer was too low. Of course, winning the Super Bowl helped his cause. ;)

What do you think of tonight's game? A goodie in New Orleans. I think you win and keep the North muddled up for the division.

I know I sound like a broken record, but we have severe cornerback issues. With Smith out, And Webb still playing through a bad back, we are starting Levine on the other corner, with waiver wire pick up Gorrer as the nickle. Not the kind of secondary you want to have playing an agitated NO team with Brees. I'm very worried about this game as we absolutely need it, as does NO.

As for Joe, I don't mind him getting his money , but I think Ozzie was right on originally with the 16-18 million dollar offer. If he was agitated with the offer, it worked for both him and the Ravens as they got their Super Bowl, and he was paid. Maybe if they had given him that extra million, he wouldn't have played with that extra motivation that took him to the top in 2012.