Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson should sign Jerry Hughes in the off-season.

Interesting thought Dustin....I am sure we will have extremes on both sides with this one.  I personally am not opposed.

I want to say, however that Hughes made some unwelcome statements about the horse shoe.  That is very unwelcoming to me.  Lets draft a good linebacker. :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Love his skill but he is a hot head...Which I think is the real reason he is not on the team right now. I'd bring him in based on his talent and interview him......Otherwise there are a few rush linebackers I like in this draft....Though none I have seen have the acceleration off the ball that Hughes has.

Nah. He was really salty about Irsay getting arrested (or still salty about being traded), and his comments made me think 1: glad he isn't here, and 2:he holds hardcore double standards. He wouldn't sign here anyways, and he is obviously an angry guy, on the field and off.  

He didn't fit in the Pagano/Manusky System once why would it be any different now?

Hughes doesn't get enough credit for the job he did in 2012 in Pagano's defense.

His pass rushing productivity (PRP a PFF formula) was better than both Mathis and Freeney in Pagano's 2012 defense.  His run stop % was better than Mathis and more than double Freeney.

Pass Rush snaps, PRP

Hughes: 225, 9.4%

Freeney: 414, 8.8%

Mathis:  283: 8.4%

Presssures [sacks, hits, hurries]

Hughes: 27 pressures in 225 pass rush snaps (12.0%) [4 sacks, 6 hits, 17 hurries]

Freeney: 47 pressures in 414 pass rush snaps (11.4%) [5 sacks, 9 hits, 33 hurries]

Mathis: 29 pressures in 283 pass rush snaps (10.2%) [8 sacks, 5 hits, 16 hurries]

Tackles on running plays:

Hughes: 22 in 257 run snaps (8.6%)

Mathis: 18 in 243 run snaps (7.4%)

Freeney: 9 in 227 run snaps (4.0%)

Hughes doesn't get enough credit for the job he did in 2012 in Pagano's defense.

His pass rushing productivity (PRP a PFF formula) was better than both Mathis and Freeney in Pagano's 2012 defense.  His run stop % was better than Mathis and more than double Freeney.

Pass Rush snaps, PRP

Hughes: 225, 9.4%

Freeney: 414, 8.8%

Mathis:  283: 8.4%

Presssures [sacks, hits, hurries]

Hughes: 27 pressures in 225 pass rush snaps (12.0%) [4 sacks, 6 hits, 17 hurries]

Freeney: 47 pressures in 414 pass rush snaps (11.4%) [5 sacks, 9 hits, 33 hurries]

Mathis: 29 pressures in 283 pass rush snaps (10.2%) [8 sacks, 5 hits, 16 hurries]

Tackles on running plays:

Hughes: 22 in 257 run snaps (8.6%)

Mathis: 18 in 243 run snaps (7.4%)

Freeney: 9 in 227 run snaps (4.0%)

I have. Product of one on one match ups. If we sign him it will be hilarious but stupid.

Werner and Walden get a lot of 1 on 1 matchups here, Neither of which have close to the acceleration of Hughes though both are stronger then Hughes. Ya cant criticize a player because he consistently beats his block, Now if he was not blocked at all then criticism is warranted but that's not the case either

He did not fit because he was asked to play DE...   which he was FAR TOO WEAK to play...

He goes to Buffalo and has average success ...   Playing with Mario W and M Darius.     his sack numbers are ...ok..   the rest...    mehhhhhhhh...    He is average as the day is long.   He had MORE than his fair shot in Indy..  And never made it happen.

I like when people say he didn't fit but don't/cant explain why he didn't fit

heheeeeee

Werner and Walden get a lot of 1 on 1 matchups here, Neither of which have close to the acceleration of Hughes though both are stronger then Hughes. Ya cant criticize a player because he consistently beats his block, Now if he was not blocked at all then criticism is warranted but that's not the case either

He did not fit because he was asked to play DE...   which he was FAR TOO WEAK to play...

He goes to Buffalo and has average success ...   Playing with Mario W and M Darius.     his sack numbers are ...ok..   the rest...    mehhhhhhhh...    He is average as the day is long.   He had MORE than his fair shot in Indy..  And never made it happen.

17.5 sacks in his last 26 games since joining Buffalo is not just ok don't be ridiculous and also learn what rush linebacker is....Its not DE

He goes to Buffalo and has average success ...   Playing with Mario W and M Darius.     his sack numbers are ...ok..   the rest...    mehhhhhhhh...   

Hughes led the league in pass rush productivity in 2013 (15.4%, Robert Quinn was second at 15.3%, for reference Robert Mathis was 11.2%)

Hughes in 2013:  59 QB pressures (11 sacks, 9 hits, 39 hurries) 

What part of that is mehhhhh?

HEY GENIUSES...     HE IS PLAYING WITH .....

MARIO WILLIAMS AND MARCELUS DARIUS..   UMMMMM  ...    who is getting all the attention?

Good for Jerry...    maybe he can parlay his "production" into a very nice contract with maybe...    Clevealnd and KRUGER?

Circumstance is EVERYTHING.          

JMO.....  some of you are too simple ////

HEY GENIUSES...     HE IS PLAYING WITH .....

MARIO WILLIAMS AND MARCELUS DARIUS..   UMMMMM  ...    who is getting all the attention?

Good for Jerry...    maybe he can parlay his "production" into a very nice contract with maybe...    Clevealnd and KRUGER?

Circumstance is EVERYTHING.          

JMO.....  some of you are too simple ////

Don't forget Kyle Williams also, and his 66 tackles, 10.5 sacks last year.