Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did the Patriots Expose Denver?

MJD42

I have been reading through the threads on Denver and was wondering if people thought that Denver got exposed by NE ?

Heading into that game, Denver was favored in Foxboro, only a handful of teams in the past 13 years have ever been favored in Foxboro ...

Even though there were some that thought the Patriots would win given their success vs Manning in Foxboro, not sure anyone saw that game coming, least of all Denver !

It seems as though their struggles have continued since then. Even vs Oakland Manning had a couple of picks early before pulling away in the second half. And the Rams game looked very similar to the NE game with the Denver offense struggling again and the defense being beaten by Shaun Hill.

Lol good one . NE didn't expose anything more then what Seattle "exposed" or what the Colts and Chargers did last year . Everyone knows the blue print on how to beat Denver which is pressure Manning and to get physical with the receivers . It's the same way you beat NE , NO , and every other team with an immobile qb that doesn't like taking hits . Many teams just aren't successful at it.

Lol good one . NE didn't expose anything more then what Seattle "exposed" or what the Colts and Chargers did last year . Everyone knows the blue print on how to beat Denver which is pressure Manning and to get physical with the receivers . It's the same way you beat NE , NO , and every other team with an immobile qb that doesn't like taking hits . Many teams just aren't successful at it.

Yep. The key is good safety play and decent or good pass rush.

When the Colts had Bethea out there with Mathis for pass rush and our CBs disrupting the timing of Peyton's wideouts, it worked and once the CBs like Toler started getting hurt, that is when the "almost comeback" of Peyton happened. If Mathis wasn't there like this year, the results could have been similar, IMO.

Seattle, pass rush plus outstanding safeties plus CBs whose tugging and pulling was allowed a tad more last year, plus a gazillion mistakes by Denver on O, D and ST all made it lop sided. While Denver made some moves in the offseason to combat Seattle, Belichick made his moves to combat Peyton and McCourty at safety had already been playing well, so he just needed that 2nd man CB (Revis for Talib was a great swap).

Chargers, I still feel, caught Peyton during an off day on a short week and their familiarity with Peyton paid off more than anything because they don't have the horses in the secondary to compete consistently. I would not be surprised if Peyton and the Broncos win at San Diego later this year.

Yes and no. I think NE had the personnel to "expose" Denver. They were physical with the receivers, got to Manning. BUT what I didn't foresee was how much the Patriot offense would undress the Denver defense. I really felt with the additions Denver made with Ware, Talib and Ward that they would be more physical with the Patriots but the Pats line took care of Denver's Dline all day and Brady just picked apart their secondary. That was the aspect of the game that surprised me the most.

In terms of other teams copying it. I think for Denver you have to prove you can stop what the Patriots were able to do and now the Rams. Teams will continue to play them that way until they can prove they can solve it. That is pretty much the way the NFL works week to week.

Yep. The key is good safety play and decent or good pass rush.

When the Colts had Bethea out there with Mathis for pass rush and our CBs disrupting the timing of Peyton's wideouts, it worked and once the CBs like Toler started getting hurt, that is when the "almost comeback" of Peyton happened. If Mathis wasn't there like this year, the results could have been similar, IMO.

Seattle, pass rush plus outstanding safeties plus CBs whose tugging and pulling was allowed a tad more last year, plus a gazillion mistakes by Denver on O, D and ST all made it lop sided. While Denver made some moves in the offseason to combat Seattle, Belichick made his moves to combat Peyton and McCourty at safety had already been playing well, so he just needed that 2nd man CB (Revis for Talib was a great swap).

Chargers, I still feel, caught Peyton during an off day on a short week and their familiarity with Peyton paid off more than anything because they don't have the horses in the secondary to compete consistently. I would not be surprised if Peyton and the Broncos win at San Diego later this year.

Agreed . Great post

Denver has exposed Denver over the entirety of the season.

Their weaknesses which have come to bite them in the rear are the same ones they had when the season began. Although personally I didn't think the run game would be that pathetic or the special teams equally non existent. Denver lost Moreno and their kicker so I knew they would be worse at both but holy frickin' cow. Denver can't run at all and their special teams coverage and returns look awful.  Denver's special teams were more than serviceable over the last few seasons and I have no idea what the heck happened there. Caldwell is a disaster every time he touches the footall...or drops it as a receiver.

The secondary is also abysmal when the pass rush doesn't get there. One would think the pickups they made would help, but nope. They commit penalties up the yin yang, too.

We know the coaching is terrible. No surprise there.

Somehow Denver found a way to spend a lot of money and make the team, as a whole, worse than last year.

Denver has exposed Denver over the entirety of the season.

Their weaknesses which have come to bite them in the rear are the same ones they had when the season began. Although personally I didn't think the run game would be that pathetic or the special teams equally non existent. They lost Moreno and their kicker so I knew they would be worse at both but holy frickin' cow.

The secondary is also abysmal when the pass rush doesn't get there. One would think the pickups they made would help, but nope.

We know the coaching is terrible. No surprise there.

Somehow Denver found a way to spend a lot of money and make the team, as a whole, worse than last year.

They lost Decker, Moreno and Prater. They were all key guys to their success last year. But no team keeps everyone. But they did not find adequate replacements for Moreno and Prater so they got worse at key positions. And while Sanders is having a nice year, he is not anywhere near the red zone threat that Decker was. And of course Welker looks like he has lost a couple of steps since last year. 

I have no idea why the secondary is not performing better. I tend to blame Del Rio for that.

They lost Decker, Moreno and Prater. They were all key guys to their success last year. But no team keeps everyone. But they did not find adequate replacements for Moreno and Prater so they got worse at key positions. And while Sanders is having a nice year, he is not anywhere near the red zone threat that Decker was. And of course Welker looks like he has lost a couple of steps since last year. 

I have no idea why the secondary is not performing better. I tend to blame Del Rio for that.

Decker isn't a big loss on offense as I think Sanders is better than he is. He was definitely a special teams asset though.  Still, can't explain the coverage issues.

Welker has certainly dropped off a cliff and he did returns as well. In regards to the passing offense I think he's more of a loss being a gimpy wee man than the loss of Decker who was adequately replaced with Sanders. Even then,   the passing offense (and run defense) are the only parts of Denver that aren't bad.

Denver has to fix their run game, the entirety of their special teams, secondary coverage and boneheaded penalties on both sides of the ball. Terrible coaching has a lot to do with it, so I don't expect them to fix any of it midseason. They just "keep doing what they're doing" which is the mantra for stupid people expecting different results when something isn't working. It's also called being a terrible coach. For exhibit A on at least TRYING to make adjustments on the fly when something doesn't work and often succeeding because if it - see BB, a great coach.

There's no issue with the pass game  or run D. Everything else about Denver has serious issues.

I think its just a matter of mental toughness between Denver and New England. NE cant perform well in Denver and Denver cant perform well in New England. Theyre pretty much even on both sides. There was no chemistry at all in the offense against New England. How do I know? Jacob Tamme was getting the most reps.

And referees are everything. New England is always able to somehow get away with everything against any team. I remember seeing 3 penalties on one play against the Colts offense. It was on all sides of the ball and nearly impossible to miss them. My brother, who is a Patriots fan, started laughing because even he saw it too. He didnt care as long as the Patriots won.

I think its just a matter of mental toughness between Denver and New England. NE cant perform well in Denver and Denver cant perform well in New England. Theyre pretty much even on both sides. There was no chemistry at all in the offense against New England. How do I know? Jacob Tamme was getting the most reps.

And referees are everything. New England is always able to somehow get away with everything against any team. I remember seeing 3 penalties on one play against the Colts offense. It was on all sides of the ball and nearly impossible to miss them. My brother, who is a Patriots fan, started laughing because even he saw it too. He didnt care as long as the Patriots won.

Nailed it . Denver is mentally weak NE isn't .

Referees are everything?

Wow.

Don't blame your team, nope; blame those refs for not calling anything that would not have changed an iota of the outcome .

Referees are everything?

Wow.

Don't blame your team, nope; blame those refs for not calling anything that would not have changed an iota of the outcome .

Those darn refs allowed Jonas Ray to get 201 yards against that pathetic front 7!

Dang those refs!  Dang those Patriots!  We'll get them next time when the refs aren't in their pockets!!!!

Sounds like LOSER talk.

They didn't "expose" anything in beating Denver. The key to beating the Broncos isn't complicated, it's just that knowing how to do something in theory and actually being able to do that thing are totally separate from each other. I know in theory how a rocket works, but if I tried to build one in my back yard, I'd more than likely blow myself up (and quite possibly some neighbors) in the process. Most teams don't have the personnel or the coaching staff to pull it off. 

If anything, NE may have shaken Denver's confidence just a bit. The only "easy" win they've had since then was Oakland. But really, what I think you're just seeing is a team that played the majority of their early season games at home. Miami is a solid team with a good D, and St. Louis is usually tough on big-time teams at home. 

The Broncos will be fine... not sure they're a lock for a top-two seed anymore though. 

"Expose" has surpassed "elite" as the most pointless word in football. A team could win 40 in a row and when they lose game 41 somebody would be all HEE HEE EXPOSED SEE MY TEAM EXPOSED THEM!!!!!!!! Then somebody else would come back with WELL NOT REALLY BECAUSE MY TEAM TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THIS THIS AND THIS 5 WEEKS AGO AND ALMOST WON SO REALLY MY TEAM EXPOSED THEM!!!!!!!

Nailed it . Denver is mentally weak NE isn't .

Yup, and New England is mentally weak in Denver. Remember Brady struggled even when Plummer was the QB in Denver?! LOL! And the AFC Championship last year.

They should just meet halfway in Indy...lol

Those darn refs allowed Jonas Ray to get 201 yards against that pathetic front 7!

Dang those refs!  Dang those Patriots!  We'll get them next time when the refs aren't in their pockets!!!!

Sounds like LOSER talk.

I saw many penalties and still see them every game they play. The refs act like they are blind. Even my brother is a Patriots fan and he starts laughing and says, "If it helps the Pats win, i dont care"

Yup, and New England is mentally weak in Denver. Remember Brady struggled even when Plummer was the QB in Denver?! LOL! And the AFC Championship last year.

They should just meet halfway in Indy...lol

Yes NE does struggle in Denver except in 2011 with Tebow. The difference with the two teams is coaching ,when things go south for NE they still respond with attitude and swagger . With Denver it's like they get punched in the mouth and all goes down hill . Did you se coach Fox in the Super Bowl ?! . I hate to say it but NE will always have the coaching advantage over DEN

They got exposed in that SB, you were all too busy starring at Tecmo Super Bowl stat numbers to realize it, then turned around and acted like it never happened (kinda like the 2009 pick 6 never happened and now has the boogie man of bounty gate as a scapegoat)

Beating Manning is not rocket science. Teams have been showing how it's done for what, 8 years now?

Say what you want and throw your team under the bus in praise of him in Denver, but he does not have the same offensive line he was pampered with his entire career in Indy. I shouldn't have to say this, what other QB in the league was pampered and spoiled with so many weapons and such a solid offensive line and gets so many excuses for poor play in the post season?

He can't handle a pass rush. That's been his problem his entire career. Normally this is the downfall of the pocket quarterbacks who don't have to scramble and run for their life from time to time. Manning, Brees, Rivers, these guys would not like playing in Aaron Rodgers shoes or Russel Wilson, guys that have to run around and take punishment regardless if it's their fault or that their o-line collapsed.

Denver is not winning anything as long as they have a one dimensional offense that is centered around the pass. I had like 8 replies from when I said it the other day that they cashed their chips in to get him another spoiled wide receiver instead of a running back, so feel free to remind me how crazy I am for saying it again, I don't care, I'm not going to read them. He's never liked running the ball, ever. Addai ripped the Saints to pieces in the Super Bowl and rushed close to 100 yards and he abandoned the run when it was working. They took signing another pampered wide receiver over finding a run game. They made their bed and will lay it come January.

Do you see these old QB's ever winning Super Bowls? The only reason Elway has 2 rings is because of Terrell Davis. Elway was just there for the ride to hand the ball off to him. Exactly why I bash and beat the Saints to pieces for having 3 running backs and worrying more about silly stats than actually running it and forming the entire offense around it. I don't like the Patriots, but at least they actually run the ball and dedicate themselves to it. Brady gets all the credit, but lately, he hasn't had to do much, which is great for him, cause running the ball actually helps you win a lot more than shooting up passing stats.

Before Denver played New England, teams were averaging around 120-150 rushing yards a game on their defense. They have trouble against the run (Jets rushed over 200 on them), what does Denver do? They don't run the ball, in a windy game and get blown out from bad turnovers and a bad game plan alone.

Pats didn't expose Denver, they did that themselves last year in the SB when they expected Seattle to lay down and let them run that same offense they ran all year long shooting up the stats all day to stroke their super inflated egos.

......, but he does not have the same offensive line he was pampered with his entire career in Indy.

Apparently you never saw Peyton and Luck running for their lives between 2007-2013 nearly every game. Our pass blocking has been absolutely terrible in that stretch. It's a little better this year since it's sporadic now instead out flat out almost always bad.

We haven't been able to run consistently since 2007, either. We were one dimensional often and yet still made the Superbowl in spite of other issues such as horrendous special teams and a conservative coach. At least our special teams are good these days.

If you want to argue Manning had a great line 2000-2006 he most certainly did. The line Peyton  has now in Denver, even though they can't run block reliably, is better than what he had in Indy from 2007 until he went to Den. They pass protect very well which is more than I can say for ours in his later years here.

They got exposed in that SB, you were all too busy starring at Tecmo Super Bowl stat numbers to realize it, then turned around and acted like it never happened (kinda like the 2009 pick 6 never happened and now has the boogie man of bounty gate as a scapegoat)

Beating Manning is not rocket science. Teams have been showing how it's done for what, 8 years now?

Say what you want and throw your team under the bus in praise of him in Denver, but he does not have the same offensive line he was pampered with his entire career in Indy. I shouldn't have to say this, what other QB in the league was pampered and spoiled with so many weapons and such a solid offensive line and gets so many excuses for poor play in the post season?

He can't handle a pass rush. That's been his problem his entire career. Normally this is the downfall of the pocket quarterbacks who don't have to scramble and run for their life from time to time. Manning, Brees, Rivers, these guys would not like playing in Aaron Rodgers shoes or Russel Wilson, guys that have to run around and take punishment regardless if it's their fault or that their o-line collapsed.

Denver is not winning anything as long as they have a one dimensional offense that is centered around the pass. I had like 8 replies from when I said it the other day that they cashed their chips in to get him another spoiled wide receiver instead of a running back, so feel free to remind me how crazy I am for saying it again, I don't care, I'm not going to read them. He's never liked running the ball, ever. Addai ripped the Saints to pieces in the Super Bowl and rushed close to 100 yards and he abandoned the run when it was working. They took signing another pampered wide receiver over finding a run game. They made their bed and will lay it come January.

Do you see these old QB's ever winning Super Bowls? The only reason Elway has 2 rings is because of Terrell Davis. Elway was just there for the ride to hand the ball off to him. Exactly why I bash and beat the Saints to pieces for having 3 running backs and worrying more about silly stats than actually running it and forming the entire offense around it. I don't like the Patriots, but at least they actually run the ball and dedicate themselves to it. Brady gets all the credit, but lately, he hasn't had to do much, which is great for him, cause running the ball actually helps you win a lot more than shooting up passing stats.

Before Denver played New England, teams were averaging around 120-150 rushing yards a game on their defense. They have trouble against the run (Jets rushed over 200 on them), what does Denver do? They don't run the ball, in a windy game and get blown out from bad turnovers and a bad game plan alone.

Pats didn't expose Denver, they did that themselves last year in the SB when they expected Seattle to lay down and let them run that same offense they ran all year long shooting up the stats all day to stroke their super inflated egos.

Don't disagree with too much you have here especially about having a run game for an aging QB but somehow even with the top FA additions, the Denver defense seems worse than last year. That falls on Del Rio. And now they have injuries. They also have no kicker and are reportedly finally looking at replacing McManus with Feeley. They have many issues to try to fix these next 5 weeks and two teams in KC and SD that are only one game behind them and each of them have games vs Denver at home. The West will be the most interesting division to watch along with the North where all four teams are only separated by a half game from being in first place.

The 2009 pick 6 was completely irrelevant because the Colt defense folded after Freeney left the game.  The Saints scored on every possession so there is no reason whatsoever to believe they would not have driven and kicked a field goal had the Colts managed to score a touchdown..  Brees talks about that in their "America's Game" episode.

The 2009 pick 6 was completely irrelevant because the Colt defense folded after Freeney left the game.  The Saints scored on every possession so there is no reason whatsoever to believe they would not have driven and kicked a field goal had the Colts managed to score a touchdown..  Brees talks about that in their "America's Game" episode.

Wow. That is quite the defeatist attitude.

Did a Saints fan just accuse another fanbase of pretending something didn't happen? Something in 2009 no less???

Beautiful post!!

Most Manning worshippers love to focus on the gaudy numbers after they go out and pamper him with weapons, but never went to acknowledge the other areas that are weakened by coddling Manning more than any other QB in the history of the game.

They don't like to admit this, to them it's all 100% Manning and his greatness that put up those numbers. . Everyone else arounder him are just no name chumps along for the ride.

That is of course until they lose a big game, then it's because he just doesn't have a well rounded TEAM.. but they wouldnt be able to mentally handle it if he had a well rounded team, because to have a balanced team, you can't stack talent on offense which means Manning wouldn't be putting up such big numbers anymore.

Lower numbers for Manning would be a NIGHTMARE for most of the Manning worshippers.

THis is true of any QB, but you'll constantly hear it about Brady from the PM worshippers as if it's unique to him

Denver is not winning anything as long as they have a one dimensional offense that is centered around the pass.

Hey as long as he keeps putting up those meaningless numbers in the stats column, they can just blame everyone else for not winning a Championship.

430 yards against New England, wooaaahhh!! Such an awesome game!! That's so many yards to get while being BLOWN OUT in a LOSS

I had like 8 replies from when I said it the other day that they cashed their chips in to get him another spoiled wide receiver instead of a running back, so feel free to remind me how crazy I am for saying it again, I don't care, I'm not going to read them. He's never liked running the ball, ever. Addai ripped the Saints to pieces in the Super Bowl and rushed close to 100 yards and he abandoned the run when it was working. They took signing another pampered wide receiver over finding a run game. They made their bed and will lay it come January.

But if they run the ball more, what would people think if Manning threw for fewer yards and touchdowns? My god... they might not give him an MVP award if he was sharing the production on offense with the RBs!

NIGHTMARE SCENARIO!

Bingo. .. in the words of herm edEdwards. . "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"

but Manning wants to throw for gaudy numbers and put everything on him because of his ENORMOUS ego.

But he had 430 yards passing Bogie!!! Didn't you see the stat sheet!? 430 yards omggggg he's so good and handsome! !

Beautiful stuff!

I hope Manning never changes his ways, because that means continued disappointment in the post season

Beautiful post!!

Most Manning worshippers love to focus on the gaudy numbers after they go out and pamper him with weapons, but never went to acknowledge the other areas that are weakened by coddling Manning more than any other QB in the history of the game.

They don't like to admit this, to them it's all 100% Manning and his greatness that put up those numbers. . Everyone else arounder him are just no name chumps along for the ride.

That is of course until they lose a big game, then it's because he just doesn't have a well rounded TEAM.. but they wouldnt be able to mentally handle it if he had a well rounded team, because to have a balanced team, you can't stack talent on offense which means Manning wouldn't be putting up such big numbers anymore.

Lower numbers for Manning would be a NIGHTMARE for most of the Manning worshippers.

THis is true of any QB, but you'll constantly hear it about Brady from the PM worshippers as if it's unique to him

Denver is not winning anything as long as they have a one dimensional offense that is centered around the pass.

Hey as long as he keeps putting up those meaningless numbers in the stats column, they can just blame everyone else for not winning a Championship.

430 yards against New England, wooaaahhh!! Such an awesome game!! That's so many yards to get while being BLOWN OUT in a LOSS

I had like 8 replies from when I said it the other day that they cashed their chips in to get him another spoiled wide receiver instead of a running back, so feel free to remind me how crazy I am for saying it again, I don't care, I'm not going to read them. He's never liked running the ball, ever. Addai ripped the Saints to pieces in the Super Bowl and rushed close to 100 yards and he abandoned the run when it was working. They took signing another pampered wide receiver over finding a run game. They made their bed and will lay it come January.

But if they run the ball more, what would people think if Manning threw for fewer yards and touchdowns? My god... they might not give him an MVP award if he was sharing the production on offense with the RBs!

NIGHTMARE SCENARIO!

Bingo. .. in the words of herm edEdwards. . "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"

but Manning wants to throw for gaudy numbers and put everything on him because of his ENORMOUS ego.

But he had 430 yards passing Bogie!!! Didn't you see the stat sheet!? 430 yards omggggg he's so good and handsome! !

Beautiful stuff!

I hope Manning never changes his ways, because that means continued disappointment in the post season