Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any chance 'Boom' supplants T-Rich? (Merge)

LordHelpOurColts

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's more explosive than T Rich, but I don't think they will give him more carries than T Rich unless he's got the hot hand in a game. I do think he may get more carries than Bradshaw did because you don't have to limit Herrons carries like we did with Bradshaw.

With this coaching staff I wouldn't be surprised to see T Rich get 27 carries and Herron 3.  Or just a complete abandonment of the running game in total.

I think he's more explosive than T Rich, but I don't think they will give him more carries than T Rich unless he's got the hot hand in a game. I do think he may get more carries than Bradshaw did because you don't have to limit Herrons carries like we did with Bradshaw.

With this coaching staff I wouldn't be surprised to see T Rich get 27 carries and Herron 3. Or just a complete abandonment of the running game in total.

Spent 15mins squinting to read this. You're paying for my next eye doctor visit!!!

haha

They are desperate for him to succeed and they are giving him every opportunity. You don't want one of the biggest busts of all time hanging over your head. I think they know he's terrible like the rest of us.

If that's true, then they're putting their ego ahead of the team.  I don't know if that's the case, but I can't think of any reason why Richardson should remain the starter.  Boom runs with anger while Richardson looks terrified

If that's true, then they're putting their ego ahead of the team.  I don't know if that's the case.

Of course that is the case. If Richardson had been a 6th-round draft pick last year he would have been out of the starting line-up halfway through 2013 and probably on a different roster (or in Canada) this year.

The Front Office are under immense pressure to make this work after what they gave up for him, make no mistake about it.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 22, 2014 - shot at moderation
Hidden by Nadine, November 22, 2014 - shot at moderation

This is really one of the lamest threads we've had here in some time.

I was wondering why a moderator hasn't closed it....     then I realized a moderator is part of the ridiculous discussion....

Oh well......         :facepalm:

Richardson looks terrified? Not sure how you could come to that conclusion. I think Boom Herron is falling into John Chick/Caesar Rayford/Mike Hart territory. I haven't seen anything from him during the regular season that suggests he'd be this huge upgrade.

I agree. Richardson does not look terified and while I'd love to see what Boom has he wasn't a first round pick for a reason :-).

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 22, 2014 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, November 22, 2014 - quoting removed post

This is really one of the lamest threads we've had here in some time.

I was wondering why a moderator hasn't closed it....     then I realized a moderator is part of the ridiculous discussion....

Oh well......         :facepalm:

So you want regulated discussion?

Good to know

8cb0b2c4164ed69f874f63c67dbdd439.jpg

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 22, 2014 - removed discussion
Hidden by Nadine, November 22, 2014 - removed discussion

So you want regulated discussion?

Good to know

8cb0b2c4164ed69f874f63c67dbdd439.jpg

No.    I want intelligent discussion.     And this thread is badly lacking.  

The idea that the coaches are playing Trent to save face -- as opposed to playing him because they think he gives them a better chance to win then playing Boom gives them -- is simply laughable.     That's a nonsensical fan's perspective.

Boom will become the #1 RB when he earns it on the field in games.  

Maybe that comes this week, or next week or sometime down the stretch.   But he hasn't earned it yet.

And I like Boom and think he's got a future with the Colts.    But he's got to earn it, as opposed to be anointed by fans on a message board.

No. I want intelligent discussion. And this thread is badly lacking.

The idea that the coaches are playing Trent to save face -- as opposed to playing him because they think he gives them a better chance to win then playing Boom gives them -- is simply laughable. That's a nonsensical fan's perspective.

While I agree with you that saving face is most likely not the case, you cannot dismiss this coaching staff to seemingly either play favorites or refuse to change personnel. So I wouldn't say this exchange is unintelligent as it does have the actions of our coaches to fuel it.

While I agree with you that saving face is most likely not the case, you cannot dismiss this coaching staff to seemingly either play favorites or refuse to change personnel. So I wouldn't say this exchange is unintelligent as it does have the actions of our coaches to fuel it.

Not really, because "playing favorites" falls right in there with trying to save face.  The coaches will play the players they feel have the best chance of helping to win the game.  Their careers literally depend on wins and losses...not by playing their buddies or trying to help their GM save face.  Whatever their reasons are in specific cases will never be truly divulged, but it's possible that they see things that fans don't and they have different priorities in determining who gives the team the best chance to win than we fans do.  

Refusal to change personnel doesn't apply either.  DHB was benched last year, and Satele was on his way to being benched until yet another OL got hurt...can't remember offhand who it was at the moment.  David Reed was benched and then cut.  Cassius Vaughn was benched and not brought back.  Trent was benched last year due to being ineffective at the time.  

Now a lot of people think that some of these changes could have and should have been made sooner, and I can somewhat agree with that, especially in the cases of DHB, Reed and Vaughn. 

Not really, because "playing favorites" falls right in there with trying to save face. The coaches will play the players they feel have the best chance of helping to win the game. Their careers literally depend on wins and losses...not by playing their buddies or trying to help their GM save face. Whatever their reasons are in specific cases will never be truly divulged, but it's possible that they see things that fans don't and they have different priorities in determining who gives the team the best chance to win than we fans do.

Refusal to change personnel doesn't apply either. DHB was benched last year, and Satele was on his way to being benched until yet another OL got hurt...can't remember offhand who it was at the moment. David Reed was benched and then cut. Cassius Vaughn was benched and not brought back. Trent was benched last year due to being ineffective at the time.

Now a lot of people think that some of these changes could have and should have been made sooner, and I can somewhat agree with that, especially in the cases of DHB, Reed and Vaughn.

Right I agree I don't think that is what's going on but as I said (and you mentioned) the coach's have a history of either not making a change or prolonging a change in personnel. Reasons aside that alone gives some fuel to the fire that thread is started in and that's all I'm saying. It's not exactly an unintelligent thread if there is in fact a reason for the conversation to take place. Maybe not a great reason or some reaching but too dismiss completely would be foolish as well.

We honestly don't know what this staff might do and maybe will completely surprise us and refuse to play Boom with Richardson getting all of the carries. I hope not but never know lol.

Here is a plan!!  Why don't all you haters start a new thread and keep all of opinions in there.  It bogs down real fans morale.  It can be labeled.  "Ungrateful Fan Club"  You can all hangout and share unrealistic expectations of players/staff and how you know best.  Then every other thread wouldn't be filled with garbage!

Here is a plan!!  Why don't all you haters start a new thread and keep all of opinions in there.  It bogs down real fans morale.  It can be labeled.  "Ungrateful Fan Club"  You can all hangout and share unrealistic expectations of players/staff and how you know best.  Then every other thread wouldn't be filled with garbage!

What constitutes a "real fan"..? 

"I care about a team more than you! Take that as an insult!" 

No.    I want intelligent discussion.     And this thread is badly lacking.  

The idea that the coaches are playing Trent to save face -- as opposed to playing him because they think he gives them a better chance to win

If this weren't in reference or comparison to Boom, I'd say that's exactly what is going on.  If the guy weren't a # 1 pick... had a # 1 pick not been spent on him, no way would they still handing him the ball.  No way.  Had the guy not been a # 1 pick - based on his performance through three years - he would already be out of the league. Yet, he's still our staring RB.

If this weren't in reference or comparison to Boom, I'd say that's exactly what is going on.  If the guy weren't a # 1 pick... had a # 1 pick not been spent on him, no way would they still handing him the ball.  No way.  Had the guy not been a # 1 pick - based on his performance through three years - he would already be out of the league. Yet, he's still our staring RB.

If you honestly think Trent Richardson would be out of the league if he weren't a #1 pick,  then you simply don't know much about football.     I'm sorry,  I don't mean this in a mean-spirited kind of way.

But stop focusing on the fact that he was a #1.     Seriously.

If he were a 5th round pick,  he'd still be on someone roster and likely getting meaningful carries.

Your view of Trent (and the view of most around here)  is colored by the fact that we gave up a #1 for him.

If we had traded a #5 for him, people wouldn't care all that much.    We would only have a fraction of the talk about him.

The outrage is over what we spent,  not over what he actually is.

Trent Richardson is a serviceable NFL running back.   He runs the ball OK.   He catches the ball really well.   He blocks for his QB really well.     His lack of production is colored in part by an offensive line that has not blocked all that well in many games for the running game.    And he's not as good as Ahmad Bradshaw who clearly is better.

But Trent is easily good enough to have a decent NFL career,  even if he wasn't a #1.    Sorry,  but there it is.

The question yet to be answered is can Boom block and or catch passes out of the backfield. Everyone seems to rag on TRich because of his lack of production but he does block and make plays in the passing game.

Yeah, he hasn't gotten enough playing time for us to determine whether or not he can do those.

Richardson looks terrified?  Not sure how you could come to that conclusion.  I think Boom Herron is falling into John Chick/Caesar Rayford/Mike Hart territory.  I haven't seen anything from him during the regular season that suggests he'd be this huge upgrade.  

Richardson is always hesitating.  He doesn't hit any holes the OL gets for him, he doesn't put his shoulders down and try to bulldoze defenders, he dances around trying to juke guys.  He shies away from contact despite being big and strong enough to be able to bulldoze many defenders.  I'm not saying Boom would be a huge upgrade, but give him a shot to see what he can do.  He can't do any worse than Richardson

If you honestly think Trent Richardson would be out of the league if he weren't a #1 pick,  then you simply don't know much about football.     I'm sorry,  I don't mean this in a mean-spirited kind of way.

But stop focusing on the fact that he was a #1.     Seriously.

If he were a 5th round pick,  he'd still be on someone roster and likely getting meaningful carries.

Your view of Trent (and the view of most around here)  is colored by the fact that we gave up a #1 for him.

If we had traded a #5 for him, people wouldn't care all that much.    We would only have a fraction of the talk about him.

The outrage is over what we spent,  not over what he actually is.

Trent Richardson is a serviceable NFL running back.   He runs the ball OK.   He catches the ball really well.   He blocks for his QB really well.     His lack of production is colored in part by an offensive line that has not blocked all that well in many games for the running game.    And he's not as good as Ahmad Bradshaw who clearly is better.

But Trent is easily good enough to have a decent NFL career,  even if he wasn't a #1.    Sorry,  but there it is.

Isn't that the whole definition of a bust?  If JaMarcus Russell was a 7th round pick, no one would care.  But he was a first rounder and set the Raiders back a few years.  You could make the case that Trent was a first round pick twice, seeing as how Cleveland took him 3rd overall (in fact, they traded up from 4 to 3 to draft him), and we gave up a 1st for him.  You give up a first, you expect to see results.  RG3 cost the Redskins many draft picks, so they should be fine with it if he develops into an average starter or very good backup?  When you invest a lot into a player, you will have high expectations in return.  I don't think that's absurd.  He and Bradshaw run behind the same line, so to blame the OL doesn't justify it, in my opinion.  Simply put, Richardson is an average to below average RB in the NFL, and a bust of a draft pick.  He was starting to look decent at points during the year, but he's lately reverted back to the same old Trent.  He has everything going for him now; he's been in the offensive system for quite some time and the guy ahead of him is now injured.  It's his chance to show everyone what he's made of