Detroit (+7_) @ New Eangland (11-23-14)

oldunclemark

FOX - 1 p.m. EST

upper 30s....no snow

\over-under - 48.....

pivotal game for both sides

NE is up 1 game on KC in the AFC overall but KC beat NE

Lions and Green Bay are tied for first but Packers will smoke Minnesota

WR Calvin Johnson - probable..HB Reggie Bush doubtful ()again)

Lions only have 800 yards rushing all season..but Pats defense allows 350 total yards per game

Tom Brady 24 TDs, 5 interceptions...64%

48 is too high for the over-under here

I see the Patriots winning 27-17 or close to that, so I agree 48 is a tad too high here. But the Falcons did put up 21 pts in London before they went cold for an entire half.

I'd take the +7 since I doubt the Lions' offense will make a dent vs Revis and Browner.

FOX - 1 p.m. EST

upper 30s....no snow

\over-under - 48.....

pivotal game for both sides

NE is up 1 game on KC in the AFC overall but KC beat NE

Lions and Green Bay are tied for first but Packers will smoke Minnesota

WR Calvin Johnson - probable..HB Reggie Bush doubtful ()again)

Lions only have 800 yards rushing all season..but Pats defense allows 350 total yards per game

Tom Brady 24 TDs, 5 interceptions...64%

48 is too high for the over-under here

If New England loses they are still in first. Denver leads the west. The list to KC has no impact to New England, currently.

Wrong/ The west is tied...7-3...there are no tiebreakers until after al1 16 games..

....so NE has concerns with KC..If KC finishes first, NE has to finish a game ahead of them. Denver doesn't,.I know you know that.

In the context of the No. 1 seed, NE has less to fear from Denver than they do with KC...

I see the Patriots winning 27-17 or close to that, so I agree 48 is a tad too high here. But the Falcons did put up 21 pts in London before they went cold for an entire half.

I'd take the +7 since I doubt the Lions' offense will make a dent vs Revis and Browner.

That's the biggest factor here....How do the Lions score points?

Another blowout. This pass defense is suffocating. Browner was big time against Johnson today. Brady picked them apart as well. Was not sacked once. The Online is really dominating now. STs are making 1-2 huge plays a game too. Great punt by Allen early to flip position and then a huge return by Amendola on a kickoff to set up a TD. This team is as dialed in as I have ever seen a Pats team. Even their mistakes don't affect the game because they make so many positive plays everywhere on the field.

wow- Stafford tied the record for the lowest QB rating,39% in 45 pass attempts, since the AFL merger.

He was 18 out of 45.  To be fair his receivers were horrible for the most part.

Stafford has a little jay Cutler in him..some days..he cant throw straight and he always seems to hold the ball to long...and then some days hes just different

The Pats' secondary is really clicking at this point. They'll still give up some yards at times but it was a very solid performance yesterday. (Albeit aided by some key Detroit drops...) 

Defense - They've shored up their run D and, as usual, they find a way to put a pass rush together. Picking up Akeem Ayers at the deadline wasn't a high-profile move but he's been huge for them. Another castoff player, Alan Branch, was part of a 700-pound wall up front with Wilfork yesterday. The defensive backfield has been the key though. The past few weeks we've seen Manning, Luck, and now Stafford holding the ball and holding the ball, waiting for anyone to come free. 

Offense - Detroit slowed them down in the second half but overall a very good performance again. This was classic Brady, three step drops and BOOM, ball is out. Don't give them a chance to get a lot of pressure. They didn't really try to run the ball much against that Lions' D. More than 50 pass attempts, and Brady was only hit four times (though I remember all of them and they were all good shots). Since the KC game he's been pressured less often than any other QB. They've figured out the line and everything else has sort of followed. 

Side notes:

- Another game where they really racked up the penalties. I like the aggressiveness, but they've got to watch out for the careless ones (false starts, etc). They got kind of jobbed on a couple of plays, including Brady's INT (clear hold on Gronk, who was the intended target). People are always crying about the Patriots getting preferential treatment from the refs, but you can't complain about that THIS year! If they're not leading the league in accepted penalties after yesterday, they're in the top three.

- The Miami-Denver game was a bonus... Patriots fans couldn't lose in that one either way. Since Denver won the Patriots got some more AFC East breathing room. The only real concern there is that Miami already beat NE once, and they play again... if they stay close and manage to upset the Patriots in Foxboro, that could have gotten uncomfortable. I would have just as soon taken another game on Denver but the results would have been good enough either way. 

- They've now knocked off several teams that were or are in first place in their divisions, including all other leaders in the AFC (Bengals, Broncos, Colts). With the Packers winning yesterday, they'll be playing the NFC North leader for the second week in a row. This is obviously the toughest game left on the schedule, and it's very possible that the Packers take them down. But they've got some critical breathing room now, so we'll have to see how it all hashes out these last five weeks.

The Pats' secondary is really clicking at this point. They'll still give up some yards at times but it was a very solid performance yesterday. (Albeit aided by some key Detroit drops...) 

Defense - They've shored up their run D and, as usual, they find a way to put a pass rush together. Picking up Akeem Ayers at the deadline wasn't a high-profile move but he's been huge for them. Another castoff player, Alan Branch, was part of a 700-pound wall up front with Wilfork yesterday. The defensive backfield has been the key though. The past few weeks we've seen Manning, Luck, and now Stafford holding the ball and holding the ball, waiting for anyone to come free. 

Offense - Detroit slowed them down in the second half but overall a very good performance again. This was classic Brady, three step drops and BOOM, ball is out. Don't give them a chance to get a lot of pressure. They didn't really try to run the ball much against that Lions' D. More than 50 pass attempts, and Brady was only hit four times (though I remember all of them and they were all good shots). Since the KC game he's been pressured less often than any other QB. They've figured out the line and everything else has sort of followed. 

Side notes:

- Another game where they really racked up the penalties. I like the aggressiveness, but they've got to watch out for the careless ones (false starts, etc). They got kind of jobbed on a couple of plays, including Brady's INT (clear hold on Gronk, who was the intended target). People are always crying about the Patriots getting preferential treatment from the refs, but you can't complain about that THIS year! If they're not leading the league in accepted penalties after yesterday, they're in the top three.

- The Miami-Denver game was a bonus... Patriots fans couldn't lose in that one either way. Since Denver won the Patriots got some more AFC East breathing room. The only real concern there is that Miami already beat NE once, and they play again... if they stay close and manage to upset the Patriots in Foxboro, that could have gotten uncomfortable. I would have just as soon taken another game on Denver but the results would have been good enough either way. 

- They've now knocked off several teams that were or are in first place in their divisions, including all other leaders in the AFC (Bengals, Broncos, Colts). With the Packers winning yesterday, they'll be playing the NFC North leader for the second week in a row. This is obviously the toughest game left on the schedule, and it's very possible that the Packers take them down. But they've got some critical breathing room now, so we'll have to see how it all hashes out these last five weeks.

Not sure if you knew this but both Seattle and Baltimore led the league in penalties during their SB wins the last two years. 

They are now 4-0 on the tough 6 game stretch that was going to bring them down. And they are beating these division leaders like a red headed stepchild along the way. Another division leader will go down to the Patriots next week as well. Looks like they'll have to get back to the AFC East for some good competition.  

Not sure if you knew this but both Seattle and Baltimore led the league in penalties during their SB wins the last two years. 

Yes and I like the aggressiveness, like I said. But I'd like to see them avoid: 1) the penalties that DON'T have anything to do with tone or physicality (like false starts), and 2) the untimely ones that are stopping drives and/or continuing them for the opposition (lots of blocks in the back and holding calls on their return units also). 

Yes and I like the aggressiveness, like I said. But I'd like to see them avoid: 1) the penalties that DON'T have anything to do with tone or physicality (like false starts), and 2) the untimely ones that are stopping drives and/or continuing them for the opposition (lots of blocks in the back and holding calls on their return units also). 

Sure. You want to eliminate the mental ones. I was more just correlating the last two SB winners and their penalties with the Patriots who are playing similar physical football. And this year you have the emphasis on the rules too to deal with. Personally, I think the officiating has been awful this year with the flags flying over contact or plays having nothing to do with the outcome of the play. No fan wants to see flags for actions that have no bearing.

Sure. You want to eliminate the mental ones. I was more just correlating the last two SB winners and their penalties with the Patriots who are playing similar physical football. And this year you have the emphasis on the rules too to deal with. Personally, I think the officiating has been awful this year with the flags flying over contact or plays having nothing to do with the outcome of the play. No fan wants to see flags for actions that have no bearing.

So with you on that. Whether it's a Pats game or not, a big play happens either way and there's a delay before you can react to it because you're waiting to see if a flag flies! 

Some of the crews seem to have a good handle on letting them play. Others, like the one who did the Pats-Lions game yesterday... a little too flag-happy for me. 

So with you on that. Whether it's a Pats game or not, a big play happens either way and there's a delay before you can react to it because you're waiting to see if a flag flies! 

Some of the crews seem to have a good handle on letting them play. Others, like the one who did the Pats-Lions game yesterday... a little too flag-happy for me. 

I like the crew that did the Pats/Colts game. But I am a fan of letting the players play unless it is an obvious call. And of course consistent calls on both teams. I feel like when crews do that everyone is happy. But some crews like to earn their paychecks I guess.

They are now 4-0 on the tough 6 game stretch that was going to bring them down. And they are beating these division leaders like a red headed stepchild along the way. Another division leader will go down to the Patriots next week as well. Looks like they'll have to get back to the AFC East for some good competition.  

haha thats the truth... outside of Kansas City, the AFC East are the only ones that have provided a high level of competition for the Patriots.

and earlier in the year everyone was saying the Patriots only go to the playoffs because of their "weak" division haha:)

I'm loving this year!

haha thats the truth... outside of Kansas City, the AFC East are the only ones that have provided a high level of competition for the Patriots.

and earlier in the year everyone was saying the Patriots only go to the playoffs because of their "weak" division haha:)

I'm loving this year!

You were right on that one. The South is certainly the toilet of the AFC this year....though I think it's a given the NFC South is the toilet of the league.  4-6 in first place lmao...

I thought for sure it was the East outside NE, but the South has played that much worse. NE is better than Indy and the Fins are better than the Texans. Buffalo/TEN/Jax/NYJ are all a wash of irrelevance.

I'm loving this year!

It's the 3rd weakest division after NFC South and AFC South.

Other than the Patriots the teams are 13-18 with one more intra-division game tonight so they will be 14-19

There are 3 potential playoff teams from the AFC East... thats not a weak division.

There are 3 potential playoff teams from every AFC division except the South.

The East has one near lock in at 9-2 and two long shots at 6-5

The North has 4 contenders at 7-3-1, 7-4, 7-4,and 7-4

The West has 3 contenders at 8-3, 7-4, and 7-4

So. it is the weakest division of these 3 exactly as I said.