Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has anyone seen Josh Chapman?!? Anyone?

NewColtsFan

I've stated often that after Andrew Luck,  Josh Chapman was my favorite pick of the 2012 draft.   Not now obviously,  but back at the time of the draft,  I thought it was a seriously shrewd move and reflected well on Grigs.    The right guy at the right place in the draft.  1st pick, R5.

But -- WOW! -- has this guy simply failed to deliver anything that was promised.

Remember all those comments from Pagano about how Chapman is...  "the 800 pound safe stuck in the middle and no one is going to move him!"    Remember that?   I do. 

Well, it seems to me that everyone is moving Josh Chapman out of the way.    He appears to play softer than wet 1-play tissue paper.    He seemingly provides nothing in the middle.   And he doesn't even appear to put up much of a fight.

Honestly,  I'd be relieved if it were revealed that Chapman is either hurt or ill.   Because that's the way I think he's playing.    We were abused in the middle Sunday night.    And it's not just one play.    When teams gash us,  it's most often between the tackles.    It does not look like anyone is concerned about him being in the middle.

I don't know how he grades out via the analytics.   Watch and someone will say he's grading out terrifically!    If so,   no one will be more shocked than me.

He's my biggest disappointment.    Not Hakeem Nicks.   Not Trent Richardson.  Not Gosder Cherilus.    Not even the G/C/G trio. 

Josh was supposed to be our rock in the middle.   Our anchor.    And so far,  I've yet to see it.   Any of it.

Anyone else?    Agree?     Disagree?     Anyone?

Not a line analysis guy. But after last game I have to cut my quasi-emotional attachment to players and realize you have to be objective to be the best. I have seen no evidence of a line anchor of the sort. Or course we had a pretty decent run defense prior to last week. But I'm pretty sure Chapman gets like 12 snaps per game. Doesn't really scream dominant.

I think most of the running is done when we leave out a NT. I've noticed this in other games a lot, but wasn't really watching for it against the Pats because I was disgusted. I did see a play against the Pats where he was double teamed and came out the other side but I think he missed on the tackle of the RB. But in NT terms that was a win anyway. Derakynn is right though he doesn't get many snaps. Maybe because the coaches don't have confidence in him. This could be like the games, not as bad as you think or not as good as you think.

The majority of the time of why we kept getting whipped up the middle  wasn't Chapmans fault though he did get moved to do the Angle blocking schemed the Patriots used near to perfection. Our ILB's got caught out of position to make a play or in some cases just whiffed on the tackle. Also RJF and Redding were the worst on the D Line...There was more then a couple instances that they did not stay disciplined in there run fist and read the play but instead guessed pass only to charge up field at Brady leaving a hole up between the Guard and the Tackle

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Snap Count numbers for every player in the NFL every week

Chapman played 45 defensive snaps vs the Patriots......The last game before the Patriots he played 14 defensive snaps...His low for the season came in week 7...9 defensive snaps...All this probably has to do with the having to generate a pass rush by other means so Chapman has not been in as often because he brings little pass rush value at this stage and several others D Linemen we have obviously bring more and are more versatile

The majority of the time of why we kept getting whipped up the middle  wasn't Chapmans fault though he did get moved to do the Angle blocking schemed the Patriots used near to perfection. Our ILB's got caught out of position to make a play or in some cases just whiffed on the tackle. Also RJF and Redding were the worst on the D Line...There was more then a couple instances that they did not stay disciplined in there run fist and read the play but instead guessed pass only to charge up field at Brady leaving a hole up between the Guard and the Tackle

I'm not sure why you think the fault didn't lie with Chapman?   The guy played 45 defensive snaps and simply got abused.   45 snaps is clearly his high for the season.    And the success was either directly at him or right next to him.    They didn't run outside the tackles all that much.     Chapman had to have some responsibility in giving up 250 yards.

I appreciate that he's played fewer snaps than one might expect because we've been leading and opponents are throwing so Chapman comes out and is replaced by either Hughes or RJF.

But in a game when he plays 45 snaps,  he should be making an impact.   The Pats shouldn't be running for a monster total of 250 yards.    

Something is just not right with him........     I don't pretend to know,  but it sure feels wrong to me.....

I've stated often that after Andrew Luck,  Josh Chapman was my favorite pick of the 2012 draft.   Not now obviously,  but back at the time of the draft,  I thought it was a seriously shrewd move and reflected well on Grigs.    The right guy at the right place in the draft.  1st pick, R5.

But -- WOW! -- has this guy simply failed to deliver anything that was promised.

Remember all those comments from Pagano about how Chapman is...  "the 800 pound safe stuck in the middle and no one is going to move him!"    Remember that?   I do. 

Well, it seems to me that everyone is moving Josh Chapman out of the way.    He appears to play softer than wet 1-play tissue paper.    He seemingly provides nothing in the middle.   And he doesn't even appear to put up much of a fight.

Honestly,  I'd be relieved if it were revealed that Chapman is either hurt or ill.   Because that's the way I think he's playing.    We were abused in the middle Sunday night.    And it's not just one play.    When teams gash us,  it's most often between the tackles.    It does not look like anyone is concerned about him being in the middle.

I don't know how he grades out via the analytics.   Watch and someone will say he's grading out terrifically!    If so,   no one will be more shocked than me.

He's my biggest disappointment.    Not Hakeem Nicks.   Not Trent Richardson.  Not Gosder Cherilus.    Not even the G/C/G trio. 

Josh was supposed to be our rock in the middle.   Our anchor.    And so far,  I've yet to see it.   Any of it.

Anyone else?    Agree?     Disagree?     Anyone?

Yeah, I remember when Grigs said those words about Chapman like it was yesterday NCF. I even called him our road grader & INDY's version of Vince Wilfork hopefully. 

He sure looked awful against NE. It wasn't pretty at all. I have no answers other than to say I agree 100% that Chapman is clearly not what I thought he was gonna be for us.

You get bonus points BTW for the 1986 "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" film reference in your title thread NCF. I had a good laugh over that one. Bravo!  :thmup:

"Chapman Chapman...Anyone? Anyone?" Like a teacher attendance student roll call, he is nowhere to be found.

I'm not sure why you think the fault didn't lie with Chapman?   The guy played 45 defensive snaps and simply got abused.   45 snaps is clearly his high for the season.    And the success was either directly at him or right next to him.    They didn't run outside the tackles all that much.     Chapman had to have some responsibility in giving up 250 yards.

I appreciate that he's played fewer snaps than one might expect because we've been leading and opponents are throwing so Chapman comes out and is replaced by either Hughes or RJF.

But in a game when he plays 45 snaps,  he should be making an impact.   The Pats shouldn't be running for a monster total of 250 yards.    

Something is just not right with him........     I don't pretend to know,  but it sure feels wrong to me.....

That post was late at night, I meant to say some of it was Chapmans fault HE DID get moved by the Angle Blocking but he wasn't the BIGGEST reason....well he was in girth but ya know what I mean

I haven't re-watched the game yet... dont know if I can stomach it... but I was at the game and noticed that Chapman did get double teamed a lot... which is supposed to help the ILBs get to the ball carrier.  I remember yelling "someone needs to fill their gap" during the game as the ILBs were no where to be seen. 

I don't know if Chapman has played to what the Colts hoped he would be but I wouldnt say he has been terrible.  But remember, the NT is supposed to eat up blocks and help the ILB run free.  I don't think Chapman was brought in to rush the passer or collapse the pocket.

Just my observations.

I was watching the dline play during the Pats game and I agree with Gavin.  I think Chapman got pushed to the side, or shielded often, but wasn't really moved a lot.  For the most part, I think he did his job.

#95 Hughes, got pushed back frequently like he's a 250 lber.  He made the play on Brady and caused the interception, but except for that play, he wasn't very helpful.

#94 Kerr got pushed back often too.

About every play that I watched where Gray was breaking into the second level, it was either #95 or #94 getting pushed out to create the hole. 

Can't say that I noticed RJF or Redding

I've always noticed Chapman hold is ground for the most part. His job is to take up double teams to free the linebackers...New England found a blocking scheme that worked but it required an extra lineman and keeping Gronk in to block too. This was the first game all season where a team ran over the Colts D all game. 

Well need to look at the defensive line coach he job is to teach the techniques, He obviously did not teach the defensive players on how to split a double team or even  look for the double team which NE did all night, Everyone wants to blame the players but it starts with the coach not just head coach but all the coaches involved, I am not the coaches or pretend to be so I do not watch practice or watch the same game film. But as a OLC and DLC you are supposed to break down the blocking schemes and or the defensive schemes of the next team you are supposed to face, Therefore you relay this to the OL and DL and adjust your scheme IMO

Ehhh i beg to differ. he has done his job for the most part when he is in and that is eat up blocks. he pretty much gets double teamed each and every down now and he does split time with Hughes every game.  in the beginning of the season he def showed much more flashes making more plays but that's because he Had Jones next to him in the lineup getting double teamed as well. 

He's doing his job, he's not excelling at it but he's taking up space. A lot of the runs are more between the tackle and guard than anything. I saw Redding getting pancaked a few times last week, also saw I think Hughes where right when the ball was snapped two lineman just shoved him to the ground and there was a giant hole. 

Watching live it seemed like the majority of runs were between the OT/OG...which is not Chapman's domain.  His area is the 2 A gaps.  If a run is busted through a B or C gap that doesn't fall on him.  I'm not saying he was perfect against the Pats, but I don't think he was one of the major problems either.  I still think we need upgrades at the ILB positions and obviously at safety as well.

I've stated often that after Andrew Luck, Josh Chapman was my favorite pick of the 2012 draft. Not now obviously, but back at the time of the draft, I thought it was a seriously shrewd move and reflected well on Grigs. The right guy at the right place in the draft. 1st pick, R5.

Remember all those comments from Pagano about how Chapman is... "the 800 pound safe stuck in the middle and no one is going to move him!" Remember that? I do.

Well, it seems to me that everyone is moving Josh Chapman out of the way. He appears to play softer than wet 1-play tissue paper. He seemingly provides nothing in the middle. And he doesn't even appear to put up much of a fight.

Honestly, I'd be relieved if it were revealed that Chapman is either hurt or ill. Because that's the way I think he's playing. We were abused in the middle Sunday night. And it's not just one play. When teams gash us, it's most often between the tackles. It does not look like anyone is concerned about him being in the middle.

I don't know how he grades out via the analytics. Watch and someone will say he's grading out terrifically! If so, no one will be more shocked than me.

He's my biggest disappointment. Not Hakeem Nicks. Not Trent Richardson. Not Gosder Cherilus. Not even the G/C/G trio.

Josh was supposed to be our rock in the middle. Our anchor. And so far, I've yet to see it. Any of it.

Anyone else? Agree? Disagree? Anyone?

Have you not noticed a trend with Pagano? He's in over his head. He Overhypes EVERYBODY. Trent was also supposed to be our rolling ball of butcher knives. Landry was supposed to be our "Enforcer" that put fear in people...lol.

I don't think this guy knows how to evaluate real talent. I think he just looks at body types and looks at other elite players with the same body types and thinks we have us a future HOFer on our hands.

I'm done with this staff

Call me crazy, but I think Redding is a liability at this point. Good at times against the pass, but disappears oftentimes in games and is a liability against the run.

I hate saying this because I love Redding, but he hasn't played well since the Cincinnati game. He looked really good earlier in the year, not sure what's up with him.

Watching live it seemed like the majority of runs were between the OT/OG...which is not Chapman's domain.  His area is the 2 A gaps.  If a run is busted through a B or C gap that doesn't fall on him.  I'm not saying he was perfect against the Pats, but I don't think he was one of the major problems either.  I still think we need upgrades at the ILB positions and obviously at safety as well.

You may be right....    maybe.    But since Chapman's snap counts have been low all-year,  I've been watching for his big round 96, and  I noticed he played a lot Sunday.     Turns out 45 snaps.    And he whether he was double teamed (which seemed to happen a fair amount)  or just played straight up,   he seemed to get pushed around considerably.    I thought the point of having a guy like him was supposed to be his ability to eat-up blockers so the ILB's are free and clean to make tackles.     That didn't seem to happen much.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong.    I'd like nothing more than to read he graded out well Sunday and has been grading out well all season.

Honestly,  at this point, I'd love to know our season-long grades for all of our defensive players.....

Curiosity is strong in me.....

You may be right....    maybe.    But since Chapman's snap counts have been low all-year,  I've been watching for his big round 96, and  I noticed he played a lot Sunday.     Turns out 45 snaps.    And he whether he was double teamed (which seemed to happen a fair amount)  or just played straight up,   he seemed to get pushed around considerably.    I thought the point of having a guy like him was supposed to be his ability to eat-up blockers so the ILB's are free and clean to make tackles.     That didn't seem to happen much.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong.    I'd like nothing more than to read he graded out well Sunday and has been grading out well all season.

Honestly,  at this point, I'd love to know our season-long grades for all of our defensive players.....

Curiosity is strong in me.....

A NT can demand 60+ double teams a game(Most don't play that much obviously)...But if your ILB's are over aggressive or DE's  don't stay in there run fits (Neither happened very well vs the Pats)then there is nothing your NT can do, But as to if a NT is single covered then I would expect my NT to be able to SHED that block, hold his run fit and make the tackle if the run came right at him which Chapman has shown some ability to do this year with 3 Stuffs...

2nd to RJF who has 4 on the DL who I also think could be argued as our best D Linemen to this point this year despite playing 85 less snaps then Redding who leads our D Linemen in that category but both were bad vs the Pats....He was responsible for a td given up at the goal line

NT is not the problem. You're not gonna find many Dontari Poes or Kris Kenkins, be lucky to find many Ted Washingtons. Problem is DEs and LBs not making plays. Redding too inconsistent against the run. RJF disappears in many games. ILBs not particularly good in coverage or run defense. OLBs have no sure-thing pass rusher.

The D-Line, at least at NT is not being blown off the ball; last game, we expected to defend the pass a lot, overpursued, and ended up leaving huge running gaps. Players seemed very confused at times as to where the offensive attack was coming.

Have you not noticed a trend with Pagano? He's in over his head. He Overhypes EVERYBODY. Trent was also supposed to be our rolling ball of butcher knives. Landry was supposed to be our "Enforcer" that put fear in people...lol.

I don't think this guy knows how to evaluate real talent. I think he

I'm done with this staff

Actually, that appears to be how many on this forum evaluate the Colts roster talent...

I've since learned that OverHyped type chatter about one of our guys means he just might stick to the 53 man roster, and possibly even be serviceable in a game situation at times.

We run the Nickel Formation too much. Chapman is a goal line & base defense guy. He's not gonna generate a rush

If he was able to get quicker he could be a poor man's Vince Wilfork for us

But we still should use him in passing downs cause it takes 2 people to block him. Someone will be one on one in that case

Kerr is what Chapman should be if he was quicker. Kerr is a big dude but he's quicker than Chapman

We run the Nickel Formation too much. Chapman is a goal line & base defense guy. He's not gonna generate a rush

If he was able to get quicker he could be a poor man's Vince Wilfork for us

But we still should use him in passing downs cause it takes 2 people to block him. Someone will be one on one in that case

Kerr is what Chapman should be if he was quicker. Kerr is a big dude but he's quicker than Chapman

To add to that......Wilfork has played 243 more defensive snaps, Kerr has the same number of TFL's as Wilfork........1.

Kerr has 3 more sacks and only 13 less tackles with Wilfork playing 243 more defensive snaps. Kerrs played pretty well for sure and hopefully stays away from any serious injury...He could develop into a real force......Ill leave ya with this as well....

Haloti Ngata......443 Defensive Snaps

Zach Kerr....243 Defensive Snaps

Ngata tackles- 28

Kerr Tackles-14

Ngata TFL's-0

Kerr TFL's-1

Ngata has gotten a tackle every 15.8 snaps this year....Basically 16 snaps

Kerr has gotten a tackle every 17.3 snaps....basically 17

I think the biggest difference is right now I think Kerr could be tiring out quicker...He has to lose some of his gut in my opinion

To add to that......Wilfork has played 243 more defensive snaps, Kerr has the same number of TFL's as Wilfork........1.

Kerr has 3 more sacks and only 13 less tackles with Wilfork playing 243 more defensive snaps. Kerrs played pretty well for sure and hopefully stays away from any serious injury...He could develop into a real force......Ill leave ya with this as well....

Haloti Ngata......443 Defensive Snaps

Zach Kerr....243 Defensive Snaps

Ngata tackles- 28

Kerr Tackles-14

Ngata TFL's-0

Kerr TFL's-1

Ngata has gotten a tackle every 15.8 snaps this year....Basically 16 snaps

Kerr has gotten a tackle every 17.3 snaps....basically 17

I think the biggest difference is right now I think Kerr could be tiring out quicker...He has to lose some of his gut in my opinion

Kerr could be the steal of the UDFA class..........just wait a couple years as he continues to develope his game and conditioning.