Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lsu Fans Chanting "we Want Green Bay"

cmgww

At the end of the SEC Championship game, there were LSU fans chanting "we want Green Bay"....ok we all know the difference between the NFL and college...and we all know GB would smoke LSU...(cocky Tigers fans, I hope they lose the BCS Title game)

That said, could LSU hang with this year's Colts?? (I hate to say it, but we've been THAT BAD at times). Or what about the 0-16 Lions from a few years back? It seems blasphemous to even ask...I personally think that even the worst NFL team would steamroll even the best college team every time. The NFL is made up of about the top 1% of all college players, and even though the Colts have been terrible (as have other teams in the past...Bengals, Bucs, Lions) they are still pros. Even the best college teams in recent memory that were loaded with NFL talent (2005 USC for example) still don't have the collection of talent that even a bad pro team has. Combine that with the experience of seasoned NFL players, the speed of the game, etc, and I think you have your answer. BUT.....

Please don't kill me on this one...just bored and wanted to get some thoughts on this one...could it ever happen?

Could LSU hang with the Colts... I think so, but I think we would sneak out the win. Remember, they're best part of their team is their D, and our offense is made up of old college superstars like Wayne, Brown, Addai and Castonzo. I don't know, they could hang with us. They have no chance against the Packers.

I agree that the an NFL team would most likely dominate even the most superior college team. In the case of the Colts, I am till not convinced that Painter could have a good game against a fast LSU defense. There have been times when he's missed wide open receivers. I trust the Colts as a whole, but think that if we played LSU with Painter as the QB, we may be in trouble. I've lost any hope for Painter.

Packers would win 73-0, I'm serious. NFL athletes are just bigger, faster, stronger and smarter than college athletes. The Colts would win fairly easily, maybe 34-3. LSU has maybe 4 or 5 NFL players while obviously every one on an NFL team is an NFL player. They would be physically and mentally exhausted very quickly.

I suppose that a college team with a ridiculously high percentage of NFL caliber talent and a pro style offense with a superstar QB might have a small chance against a lousy NFL team, but an NFL team can win a game just by exploiting one weakness. It's all about individual matchups and big plays. There are just too many individuals on any college team who would simply lose virtually every battle to an NFL player.

What college team is going to stop Freeney and Mathis? There would be a ridiculous amount of sacks, and probably many turnovers. Unless all the DTs and LBs are draft material, the running game is probably going to average 5+ yards per carry. Unless every single DB is draft material, somebody is going to be open on every play. The NFL team would have to be not only freakishly bad, but totally devoid of pride or passion. Despite the appalling record, that doesn't describe the Colts at all.

It would be a difficult game. Painter, Orlovsky and Caldwell level the field against us. LSU defense is hands down better than the Colts defense. Their secondary is much better than ours and could pose problems for our current quarterbacks. I don't see Orlovsky and Painter doing well against that defense. Caldwell doesn't have a good record coaching against NCAA competition. Colts would pretty much have to run all day and see if their NFL caliber O-line can blow the LSU defense off the line of scrimmage consistently. If they do that Colts win but if they can't dominate with the run, I think LSU could win. Special Teams is LSU all day.

Green Bay takes LSU behind the woodshed. No contest.

Packers would win 73-0, I'm serious. NFL athletes are just bigger, faster, stronger and smarter than college athletes. The Colts would win fairly easily, maybe 34-3. LSU has maybe 4 or 5 NFL players while obviously every one on an NFL team is an NFL player. They would be physically and mentally exhausted very quickly.

Exactly it wouldn't even be close

I can't believe people actually here think a college team can beat an NFL team

it will never happen, NFL teams are superior in every way even the worst NFL teams.

LSUs O-line is not filled with NFL caliber talent and would get destroyed by Mathis and Freeney alone. Wayne, Clark, Collie, and Garcon would make the defense look like a high school defense. That 0-16 Lions team had Calvin Johnson who had 1300 yards receiving. There are great players even on the worst teams.

The only team that comes in mind that could have a chance is either the 2000 or 2001 Miami Hurricanes but even then the odds are extremely small.

I don't think LSU could hang around even with the Colts. LSU might have a defense in college, but against pros, it would be second rate at best. The talent, skill, and schemes are just so much better at the NFL level compared to college.

This. It doesn't matter how talented some of the players on even the best college team are, they don't have a full roster of players who's bodies are matured and prepared enough to go against an NFL team. No way a college team vs. NFL team ever happens. It would be a PR and insurance/liability nightmare. Players would be injured and careers would be ended. What do people think would really happen if an 18 year old freshman receiver ran across the middle and got hit by Bethea?

the only possible match I could see is a senior all star team vs. the worst NFL team. At least then the college team is made up only of all star Seniors (or possibly declared underclassmen) who would likely be playing in the NFL the following year anyway. However even then, none of those college players would have been through an NFL training camp, an NFL strength and conditioning program etc. I have a hard time believing that even the worst team in NFL history wouldn't smoke the best team in college history for the simple fact that physically, the college team would not be a match for the NFL team.

Now if you want to have some non-contact or light-contact passing drills where Painter or Orlovsky try to throw into LSU's coverage then that would be a different story.

Whenever this conversation about the best college football team playing the worst NFL team comes up people always forget that college teams are not that deep. Yes, LSU has some great talent at positions, but they are not great at everything position. Even the worst NFL team is the cream of the crop when it comes to college players. There will be guys even on LSU's team that will never play football again after they graduate.

I was laughing my butt off at the Tiger fans chanting we want Green Bay. BJ Raji would eat their center alive every single play. The Packers would embarrass LSU.

Like Jason said maybe an all start team of college players versus the worst team in NFL might work, but they would need a while to gameplan and gell together.

At the end of the SEC Championship game, there were LSU fans chanting "we want Green Bay"....ok we all know the difference between the NFL and college...and we all know GB would smoke LSU...(cocky Tigers fans, I hope they lose the BCS Title game)

That said, could LSU hang with this year's Colts?? (I hate to say it, but we've been THAT BAD at times). Or what about the 0-16 Lions from a few years back? It seems blasphemous to even ask...I personally think that even the worst NFL team would steamroll even the best college team every time. The NFL is made up of about the top 1% of all college players, and even though the Colts have been terrible (as have other teams in the past...Bengals, Bucs, Lions) they are still pros. Even the best college teams in recent memory that were loaded with NFL talent (2005 USC for example) still don't have the collection of talent that even a bad pro team has. Combine that with the experience of seasoned NFL players, the speed of the game, etc, and I think you have your answer. BUT.....

Please don't kill me on this one...just bored and wanted to get some thoughts on this one...could it ever happen?

Are LSU fans cocky? Sure, just like fans of any other college team when they win. It's like when you see a team with a 5-5 record leading in a game against a 7-3 team and all their fans are chanting we're #1 with their finger pointing upward. It's what college kids do; it's just that right now LSU has a lot to be cocky about. On the other hand, I think Bama can beat them.

OP here- I was just wanting some thoughts on this...if you read my original post you'll see I don't think it would happen. Just wanted some thoughts on it...

I do like the idea of a college All Star team playing a bad NFL team, but I still think the NFL team would win. Experience, development time (weights, conditioning, etc...) play into that. I think it could be close for a bit, but the (insert bad NFL team here) would win in the end by wearing down the All Star team.

I remember some time ago (don't know if it still happens), in college hoops, the college all stars would take on NBA players. Again that's a totally different sport. I can't remember when it used to happen, or even if it still does. I DO think a team of college all star basketball players could play with a bad NBA team, as so many guys are "one and done" and come in as rookies and make big impacts. That said, it's a totally different sport.

As for the Colts, I think yesterday proved the point. A team, 0-11 at the time, starting a QB for the first time all season, gave one of the best teams in the AFC a good game. And the Colts also nearly beat the 9-3 Steelers early in the season. Even without Manning, the Colts would roll LSU. The window for receivers in the NFL is very small, the pass rush is much faster, the lines are bigger (well except Wisconsin, their O-Line outweighs several NFL lines but it doesn't make them better), and the separation WRs get against college defensive secondaries is bigger. We see WRs in college catch 15 yard passes and take it for TDs a lot. You don't see a lot of that in the NFL. Except for long bombs or blown coverages, most NFL WRs are caught from behind (with a few exceptions) I was just wanting a debate for the sake of debate...that's all.

Are LSU fans cocky? Sure, just like fans of any other college team when they win. It's like when you see a team with a 5-5 record leading in a game against a 7-3 team and all their fans are chanting we're #1 with their finger pointing upward. It's what college kids do; it's just that right now LSU has a lot to be cocky about. On the other hand, I think Bama can beat them.

I agree. I think that LSU chanting "we want GB" was a bit much....GB would decimate them. heck, the Colts would as well, now that Dan O is in the lineup. Imagine if Manning was playing...It would be 85-0, or more if time would allow. Again I was just starting a debate to see what would happen.

This debate surfaces every so often...above poster mentioned the Miami team of 2001. I distinctly remember Jim Rome joking about how the 'Canes might be able to beat the Bengals (TERRIBLE at the time)....That team produced a LOT of NFL players, and I think with the ineptitude of the Bengals under Dick LeBeau...side note, LeBeau is one of the best DCs in the game, I don't blame his HC record as much on him as the Bengals...

LOL at people thinking Colts defense is clearly superior simply because they are in the NFL. You guys do realize that several of our players are undrafted free agents that wouldn't be playing on any other NFL team? LSU's defense is FULL of NFL-caliber studs that could easily play in the NFL right now. Michael Brockers and Anthony Johnson are two of the top defensive tackles in the country, and could start for almost any NFL team right now, and Tyran Matheiu, Eric Reid, and Morris Clayborne are certainly better than any of the Colts defensive backs, save maybe Bethea.

Painter and Orlovski are absoloute jokes. Neither have won even a game at the professional level, and I see nothing from either one that would indicate they will any time soon.

Colts special teams is an absoloute joke, I could see Honey Badger taking one to the house or at least getting substantial field position.

The way the Colts secondary has looked this year I don't know if they could stop anybody. I could even see Ruben Randel making some big plays if their offensive line could hold up.