Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Andrew Luck nitpicked to death by certain fans?

RockThatBlue

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The expectations. You hear the comparisons to great QBs. People are impatient and expect greatness immediately. It's the nature of the beast.

I for one think he is doing great. He's clearly progressed and is still figuring it out. But he's in year 3. There's going to be mistakes.

The expectations. You hear the comparisons to great QBs. People are impatient and expect greatness immediately. It's the nature of the beast.

I for one think he is doing great. He's clearly progressed and is still figuring it out. But he's in year 3. There's going to be mistakes.

I agree with all of this. But it drives me nuts how some people would rather whine about a few bad passes, rather than talk about how good most of his throws are.

If the poor decisions didn't cost us, wouldn't need to complain.

Every QB makes mistakes, but for some reason Andrew's really come back to bite.

Whether it's locking on Reggie Wayne & missing a wide open WR due to locking on Wayne or a bad overthrow that gets picked. Never fails they come at the worst time or just hurt us the most

Because this forum becomes pretty platitudinous if every single thread is some form of praise and happiness that reeks of homerism. You have to have diversity to generate interest, and part of analyzing a football team is the mistakes that are made, because in the end, that is all this whole thing is about.

Edit: Hey, this was my 666th post. My life is complete. 

People do this to everyone, especially QBs.  Everyone has flaws in their game, so some fans point them out.  Peyton Manning's arm strength isn't that great.  Nick Foles' footwork has been inconsistent.  TY Hilton had a few too many drops to start the year.  DeMarco Murray has a fumbling problem.  I don't see what the problem is.  That's just the nature of pro sports.  If anything, I think Luck wants to hear those criticisms more (though, from the coaches, not the media or fans) so he can work on them and improve to be better

People do this to everyone, especially QBs. Everyone has flaws in their game, so some fans point them out. Peyton Manning's arm strength isn't that great. Nick Foles' footwork has been inconsistent. TY Hilton had a few too many drops to start the year. DeMarco Murray has a fumbling problem. I don't see what the problem is. That's just the nature of pro sports. If anything, I think Luck wants to hear those criticisms more (though, from the coaches, not the media or fans) so he can work on them and improve to be better

I agree. But it seems like people are overly critical of him at times. JMO though

Cheese is right..Its his curse.....He was the Bo.1 overall pick..

He gets the ultimate scrutiny...just like the guy he replaced

We, as a fan base, are extremely spoiled when it comes to qb play. We had Peyton for years, so long that we don't remember what he looked like in his early years and now Luck, who has broken pretty much every record possible at this stage in his career. The level of talent the Colts have enjoyed at the qb position since 1998, forgetting the one awful year in 2011, makes it very easy to have expectations out of wack for a third year qb, even one with Luck's talents.

I agree. But it seems like people are overly critical of him at times. JMO though

I don't think we are.  Ask Luck and he'll probably want more criticism and more things to grow on.  I've heard that sentiment from multiple people in the NFL.  It's hard to say what is overly critical, if you ask me.  On one hand, we won in a convincing fashion.  On the other, Luck missed a handful of throws.  Do you want the win regardless of how it looks or do you want the guys to play their best on each play?  So are you being overly critical because the point is that we won and that's all that matters, or is the criticism justified because we left some plays out there?  There's no wrong answer and I get what you're saying, but I don't think the criticism (in general) is that bad on these forums.  The unwarranted criticism, in my opinion, is when people say things like "Russell Wilson has already won a Super Bowl, but Luck hasn't" or "RG3 won rookie of the year, but Luck didn't".  Those criticisms are ridiculous.  But being critical of Luck's accuracy or his tendency to just throw the ball when he's about to take a sack (which drives me bonkers) is fine, in my opinion.

I feel that Peyton set the peak of what a QB can be.  It'll be very tough for anyone to match it, but if anyone can, it'll be Luck.  I shudder when I think of what could have very well been.  We could have had Ryan Leaf, and we easily could have had RGIII.  

You'll not find me criticizing Luck for an occasional brain fart.  It could be much much worse.

Peyton has always hated being touched and is fortunate he isn't playing behind this line. I tend to overlook Luck's mistakes considering he is hammered on at least half of his throws. Even though he seems to relish some contact, the constant pressure can't do much for his accuracy or his ability to find second and third receiver options. Imagine how good he can be if he ever has consistently good blocking.

Peyton has always hated being touched and is fortunate he isn't playing behind this line. I tend to overlook Luck's mistakes considering he is hammered on at least half of his throws. Even though he seems to relish some contact, the constant pressure can't do much for his accuracy or his ability to find second and third receiver options. Imagine how good he can be if he ever has consistently good blocking.

This x 1000! :thmup:

Because they want him to be better than peyton

I think part of it is that some people already think Luck is better than Peyton and no, no he's not.  And there's nothing wrong with that at all.  He may wind up as good or even better than Peyton some day.  We'll just have to wait and see.  Even if that never happens, 1) there's nothing at all wrong with that and 2) we're still really lucky to have him as our QB. :)

Whether it's locking on Reggie Wayne & missing a wide open WR due to locking on Wayne or a bad overthrow that gets picked. Never fails they come at the worst time or just hurt us the most

Really.....every QB makes mistakes but Andrew's are worse and come at the worst times ???    Jesus....

Kinda makes him sound like a choker and that really doesn't match up with all those 4th quarter comebacks (2012&2013)  playing on teams with a horrible O line and bad D's. I guess you could say the int in the Philly game was a choke and cost us that game but IMO there was obvious PI on Hilton. 

actually I would say it's the complete opposite of that.  Most of his mistakes come early enough that the team can come back from them.  Very seldom does he make that kind of mistake in crunch time.

And there are some who can't stand the fact that he may be just as good as Peyton. But in truth, the majority are pointing out obvious flaws, but not balancing them against the fantastic work he does.

And often, people tend to ignore the pressure he is under on most of his throws.

I think most of those people went to the Broncos board a couple of years ago, but there may be a few stragglers leftover.  :)

Because they want him to be better than peyton

I actually think it's the opposite. 

Certain people want Peyton to remain the best Colts QB ever. They are stuck on him forever. So they nitpick Luck "to death" as the OP says.

Even after wins I see posts complaining about some of his throws. Why is this? Sure he makes a few bad throws a game but what qb doesn't? Hes an amazing qb and yet hes always under a microscope to some people. Why?

It is one thing when such criticism is creative vs. when it is out of anger, spite, or just to cause problems which I see a lot more of on this forum than any another I've been a part of over the years. There is a troll problem on here... and there were a few silly threads that popped up today on this very subject. All one has to do is look at who started the thread to know when to avoid it like the plague, or dare I say ebola.  

I think it's because Luck has spoiled us with great performances and then everyone expects the same level  he has ups and downs like everybody but he's a human being.

Also i just looked that the new thread at NFL page and there are many people who just hate Luck.

Even after wins I see posts complaining about some of his throws. Why is this? Sure he makes a few bad throws a game but what qb doesn't? Hes an amazing qb and yet hes always under a microscope to some people. Why?

Because that's what fans do!

Not just Colts fans.   But fans of all teams in all sports.

On the New England board,  there are fans who complain about Bellicheck, Brady and Gronk.

On the Denver board,  there are fans who complain about Peyton and all his receivers and Von Miller.

It's the nature of the beast in sports.    There are some fans who complain even during the best of times.     Just learn to accept it,  because you're never ever going to change it.

Really.....every QB makes mistakes but Andrew's are worse and come at the worst times ??? Jesus....

Kinda makes him sound like a choker and that really doesn't match up with all those 4th quarter comebacks (2012&2013) playing on teams with a horrible O line and bad D's. I guess you could say the int in the Philly game was a choke and cost us that game but IMO there was obvious PI on Hilton.

My thoughts exactly. That response is exactly why I made this thread.

Because people in general aren't very appreciative for what they've got.

I think this fan base itself is also spoiled having the Manning years. Don't feel bad, Saints fans are no different. They appreciate absolutely nothing except for the recent years (oh yeah and the weird sad Jim Mora fetish that makes me really hate my fan base).

I love Andrew Luck, but he can be a very frustrating player to watch. He needs to simply be smarter with the ball and not force the issue. Take a sack and if the pocket starts to collapse and there are no options available; run. I miss his scrambling ability, which seems to be nonexistent this year or at least held to a minimum.

I love Andrew Luck, but he can be a very frustrating player to watch. He needs to simply be smarter with the ball and not force the issue. Take a sack and if the pocket starts to collapse and there are no options available; run. I miss his scrambling ability, which seems to be nonexistent this year or at least held to a minimum.

I think it'll come with time. I mean, he has to be used to coming back from multiple scores down in the 4th quarter. And Aside from this year, playing with a lead is new to our gunslinger haha

Because some people are never happy and consider themselves coaches having to breakdown every single thing and criticize someone for every little mistake

This. 100 times this. Personally, I've enjoyed these forums and learned quite a bit by reading threads here but lately the number of  posts by some of the guys who "break down film" in their basement has become a bit much.  I've grown pretty tired of coming here on gameday to see threads calling out Colt players (the vast majority of whom are playing well).  Honestly, I just come here less and have found other sites I enjoy more.  

simple as that, huh? :D

you do realize if he'd eat the ball and take a sack or run whenever there's pressure he wouldn't be making amazing plays that he does, since he's almost always under pressure...

let the kid play!

Because we had this guy named Manning and he spoiled us.  But even when he was here, he was critiqued heavily.  We've had two qb's in like 17 years (not including the 2-14 year), we get to eventually know everything about them, and little mini-faults are found and discussed.  Just the way it is.

It's not the few bad throws, it's the inexplicable same horrible throws every game for a supposed elite qb.

You can count on throwing over and behind, and in the dirt every game, several times. Just cause your a fan doesn't mean you give passes.

It's not the few bad throws, it's the inexplicable same horrible throws every game for a supposed elite qb.

You can count on throwing over and behind, and in the dirt every game, several times. Just cause your a fan doesn't mean you give passes.

well, i'm not giving you a pass on your grammar :P

oh, and we do have an already elite passer.

All QB's get nitpicked especially the good ones.  

I've heard a long time ago that you shouldn't worry if your coach is telling you how to improve you should worry when he stops because at that point he's given up on you.

I think it's sort of the same way with fans.  If the fans are nitpicking your flaws then they think your a good player but you have some flaws.  Fans don't nitpick players they have given up on. . . they just outright say "that guy sucks"

I mean no one on here ever nitpicked on Satele or Olsen or McGlynn.  We never talked about the little things those guys could do to get better?  Why because they where so darn terrible that we just gave up on them, said they sucked and left it at that.  

Luck get's nitpicked in part because he's a QB and they get more attention then anyone else in football and in part because he's a good player and we know it.