Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to stop the Pats?

3nk1du

Denver lost largely on poor coaching IMO as well as execution.

TY did not have a TD in last year's game and of course the Pats did not have Gronk either and still rolled.

Denver was the best team in the league going into last week and while I agree about match ups, the Colts don't have as much to hurt the Pats with on either side of the ball as Denver.

And in terms of Luck, he already has 9 picks this season. He is on pace for 18. I expect a couple vs the Pats given he averages 3.5 a game when he plays them and this is a much better D than what he faced the last two years. 

I thought Hilton got in. Still, a 46 yarder, and again, 100+ yards. If that's holding him in check...

Denver didn't lose on poor coaching, IMO. They turned the ball over, made special teams mistakes, and couldn't cover Gronkowski. Plus, Brady was exceptional in the pocket. Maybe a really good coach could have come up with some ideas to avoid those on-field mistakes, but a veteran team like Denver shouldn't be making those mistakes, period. 

You keep projecting those picks for Luck. I think that's interesting, though. It's as if a young QB can't get better. It's as if he can't be expected to play better at home, vs on the road (statistically, the worst place for a QB to play in the AFC, especially in January). He can't be expected to be more efficient with better offensive talent around him... You're essentially saying that, because Luck turned the ball over in the first two games, he can be expected to turn the ball over this time. I highly doubt the Pats coaches are thinking that way. 

Also, as a point of clarification, Luck isn't on pace for 18 picks. He's on pace for 16 (unless the Colts play 18 games this year, and I don't think they do). 

We'll see about the defensive matchups. My overall point is that the Colts have a really good offense (statistically, the best offense in the league, even better than Denver's), and the Colts are at home. So as much as the Colts have to keep up with Brady, I think the Pats have to keep up with the Colts offense. Maybe moreso.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Hilton got in. Still, a 46 yarder, and again, 100+ yards. If that's holding him in check...

Denver didn't lose on poor coaching, IMO. They turned the ball over, made special teams mistakes, and couldn't cover Gronkowski. Plus, Brady was exceptional in the pocket. Maybe a really good coach could have come up with some ideas to avoid those on-field mistakes, but a veteran team like Denver shouldn't be making those mistakes, period. 

You keep projecting those picks for Luck. I think that's interesting, though. It's as if a young QB can't get better. It's as if he can't be expected to play better at home, vs on the road (statistically, the worst place for a QB to play in the AFC, especially in January). He can't be expected to be more efficient with better offensive talent around him... You're essentially saying that, because Luck turned the ball over in the first two games, he can be expected to turn the ball over this time. I highly doubt the Pats coaches are thinking that way. 

Also, as a point of clarification, Luck isn't on pace for 18 picks. He's on pace for 16 (unless the Colts play 18 games this year, and I don't think they do). 

We'll see about the defensive matchups. My overall point is that the Colts have a really good offense (statistically, the best offense in the league, even better than Denver's), and the Colts are at home. So as much as the Colts have to keep up with Brady, I think the Pats have to keep up with the Colts offense. Maybe moreso.

I think the Pats would be fine giving up to Hilton what he had last year. Maybe a few less yards. He was not even a factor until the second half. And like I said, 6 targets, a couple of big catches but no TDs. I don't think they expect to shut him out but limit him.

Denver was not prepared to play. That is on the coaching. They looked almost bad as they did in the SB with no safety this time. That was about it.

I am not sure you can discuss Luck vs the Pats without talking about TOs. He has had 7 the last two games and that was against a Pats defense that is not nearly as good this year's version especially the secondary. He has been turning it over more this year than last year so it is hard to see this progression from him. Perhaps it will come but it is not there yet. If you go back to the last two playoff games last year and the first half of this season, he has 16 INTs. That is a ton.

Your defense rankings are not good. You are susceptible over the middle which is the Pats strength. You don't have anyone that can match up Gronk one on one, no team does. So yeah, lots of optimism on both sides.

But playing in Indy won't be easy. I think it is tight early with the Pats pulling away in the second half.

T-Rich doesn't make me nervous but the other guy is a former Giant. That makes me nervous.  ;)

Vereen has me shaking in my boots... :)

Isn't the point that, the more you run, the less you pass? Your best weapon is Brady to Gronk, our best weapon is Luck to Hilton. Push comes to shove, I don't think either team can rely on solo coverage on either of those guys. So if either team says "hey, let's try to get the run game going," they are making life easier for the opposing defense. Right?

So, by all means, test our run defense. (I won't mention that our run defense has been pretty strong this year, much better than the sloppy unit we took to Foxborough last year.) That's less chances for Gronk.

I hear ya, just busting your... chops. 

Unless Butler gets abused like a rental car a week from Sunday you can rub it in. I know guys can sometimes turn it around in new places but when the Patriots finally cut him loose I did a little dance. I'm sure the things that the Patriots know about him and his tendencies will help.

Well, you guys hardly targeted him last year. And it's not just because you wanted to run. You targeted Davis 8 times, Gordy 5 times, Butler 4 times. And he only gave up 1 catch for 4 yards. 

The Pats haven't done a good job of developing corners for a while now. A couple of those guys have done better in different places. I think the Pats coaching staff, from Belichick on down, is excellent, so I'm not taking a shot, but just because he wasn't good there doesn't mean he isn't good here. He's had some stinkers, but he's mostly been good. This year, he's had an injury, but I expect him to be 100% coming off the bye. Edelman will get his, as slot receivers often do, but I think Butler will do a good job.

The Dolphins traded Davis to the Colts for a second round pick. Davis is right now one of the very best corners in the league. I don't think the Dolphins would be smiling about facing him if the two teams met in the playoffs this year. 

I think the Pats would be fine giving up to Hilton what he had last year. Maybe a few less yards. He was not even a factor until the second half. And like I said, 6 targets, a couple of big catches but no TDs. I don't think they expect to shut him out but limit him.

Denver was not prepared to play. That is on the coaching. They looked almost bad as they did in the SB with no safety this time. That was about it.

I am not sure you can discuss Luck vs the Pats without talking about TOs. He has had 7 the last two games and that was against a Pats defense that is not nearly as good this year's version especially the secondary. He has been turning it over more this year than last year so it is hard to see this progression from him. Perhaps it will come but it is not there yet. If you go back to the last two playoff games last year and the first half of this season, he has 16 INTs. That is a ton.

Your defense rankings are not good. You are susceptible over the middle which is the Pats strength. You don't have anyone that can match up Gronk one on one, no team does. So yeah, lots of optimism on both sides.

But playing in Indy won't be easy. I think it is tight early with the Pats pulling away in the second half.

How was Denver not prepared to play? I think that's one of those made up things that people say, rather than analyzing what actually happened. They didn't come out and make a bunch of mistakes early in the game. They did stupid things on the field that they normally don't do. Coaching could have been better, but they didn't lose that game because of coaching. I don't even think the coaching was a major deciding factor. They didn't look nearly as bad as they did in the Super Bowl. I think that's a gross exaggeration, to say the least.

Luck's picks in the previous games can come up. That's fine. You are projecting interceptions on that basis, and I think that's entirely different. It's like you think they're automatic or something. Again, a young player, playing from behind in both games, on the road, with a less talented supporting cast. Keep projecting them if you want, but I don't think his prior interceptions are a guarantee of interceptions in this game.

As for our defensive rankings, what stats are you looking at that make you think the Pats are such a better defense than the Colts? You're better here, we're better there... overall, I think it's a wash, statistically. And keep in mind, we've played four home games, and you've played five. 

You also keep saying that the Pats have the best defensive talent they've ever had, which I don't understand. You have some really good talent, but this defense isn't as good as the early 2000s defenses. I don't even really think it's close, so far.

Lastly, I keep saying it, we can't cover Gronk one on one, but you can't cover Hilton one on one. Both teams have their stress points. We are weak up the middle, and I'm curious how we respond. But I don't think you believe that the Colts are just going to abandon the middle of the field to Patriots, knowing that it's their strength. That's where the real fun is going to happen.

How was Denver not prepared to play? I think that's one of those made up things that people say, rather than analyzing what actually happened. They didn't come out and make a bunch of mistakes early in the game. They did stupid things on the field that they normally don't do. Coaching could have been better, but they didn't lose that game because of coaching. I don't even think the coaching was a major deciding factor. They didn't look nearly as bad as they did in the Super Bowl. I think that's a gross exaggeration, to say the least.

Luck's picks in the previous games can come up. That's fine. You are projecting interceptions on that basis, and I think that's entirely different. It's like you think they're automatic or something. Again, a young player, playing from behind in both games, on the road, with a less talented supporting cast. Keep projecting them if you want, but I don't think his prior interceptions are a guarantee of interceptions in this game.

As for our defensive rankings, what stats are you looking at that make you think the Pats are such a better defense than the Colts? You're better here, we're better there... overall, I think it's a wash, statistically. And keep in mind, we've played four home games, and you've played five. 

You also keep saying that the Pats have the best defensive talent they've ever had, which I don't understand. You have some really good talent, but this defense isn't as good as the early 2000s defenses. I don't even really think it's close, so far.

Lastly, I keep saying it, we can't cover Gronk one on one, but you can't cover Hilton one on one. Both teams have their stress points. We are weak up the middle, and I'm curious how we respond. But I don't think you believe that the Colts are just going to abandon the middle of the field to Patriots, knowing that it's their strength. That's where the real fun is going to happen.

Not prepared in terms of game plan. Their defensive plan to even stay with the Pats O was atrocious. Fox took blame for that along with Del Rio. Offensively, they seemed to have no answer once they knew they could not run which was not the case the last two times they played the Pats. Not sure if they thought they could just roll Hillman out and get out of him what Moreno did last year. And of course, Bill masterfully kept Manning off-balance with his varied defensive looks. Denver was completely outcoached on both sides.

And as I have said to you. I believe your coaching is suspect. Your plan was vs the Steelers was awful defensively and Lebeau forced mistakes from Luck. I still think he has issues when he goes up against veteran coaches who know how to confuse young QBs. Bill has done it to him twice. That is my reason for believing he will struggle in this game vs the Pats secondary and Bill's schemes.

When I talk about the Pats having a better defense, I am referring to the versatility in the secondary as well as at LB. In the champ years, they really did not have anyone like Jaime Collins or Hightower and the finesse of Revis along with the physicality of Browner. It is the complete combination that makes them so good IMO. The champ year defense was about hitting you hard and often with Law and Rodney and Tedy. This defense gives Bill more options to hit and cover given the rule changes and all. 

Not prepared in terms of game plan. Their defensive plan to even stay with the Pats O was atrocious. Fox took blame for that along with Del Rio. Offensively, they seemed to have no answer once they knew they could not run which was not the case the last two times they played the Pats. Not sure if they thought they could just roll Hillman out and get out of him what Moreno did last year. And of course, Bill masterfully kept Manning off-balance with his varied defensive looks. Denver was completely outcoached on both sides.

And as I have said to you. I believe your coaching is suspect. Your plan was vs the Steelers was awful defensively and Lebeau forced mistakes from Luck. I still think he has issues when he goes up against veteran coaches who know how to confuse young QBs. Bill has done it to him twice. That is my reason for believing he will struggle in this game vs the Pats secondary and Bill's schemes.

When I talk about the Pats having a better defense, I am referring to the versatility in the secondary as well as at LB. In the champ years, they really did not have anyone like Jaime Collins or Hightower and the finesse of Revis along with the physicality of Browner. It is the complete combination that makes them so good IMO. The champ year defense was about hitting you hard and often with Law and Rodney and Tedy. This defense gives Bill more options to hit and cover given the rule changes and all. 

I think our coaching has been very good this year. It's easy to say "but Pittsburgh" yes that is one game. Not even all of that should be blamed on the coaching staff, our players didn't execute, and I can point out plenty of just mental mistakes on the players part that has nothing to do with the coaches (Multiple by Gordy). All and all our coaching has been pretty darn good imo this season. As for the defenses I don't really think New England is any better than Indianapolis' defense, I would take our run defense over the Pats, and truth be told i'd take our secondary. Mike Adams has been very good, and Brown has played better than anyone could have anticipated. I think Davis has had the best season of anyone between the two secondaries, and Greg Toler and Browner is probably a wash. 

I think our coaching has been very good this year. It's easy to say "but Pittsburgh" yes that is one game. Not even all of that should be blamed on the coaching staff, our players didn't execute, and I can point out plenty of just mental mistakes on the players part that has nothing to do with the coaches (Multiple by Gordy). All and all our coaching has been pretty darn good imo this season. As for the defenses I don't really think New England is any better than Indianapolis' defense, I would take our run defense over the Pats, and truth be told i'd take our secondary. Mike Adams has been very good, and Brown has played better than anyone could have anticipated. I think Davis has had the best season of anyone between the two secondaries, and Greg Toler and Browner is probably a wash. 

The Pitt game seems to happen to the Colts a few times a year. Last year it was the Rams and the Cards. I also think the in game coaching has been up and down. I think there is distinct advantage for the Pats in terms of coaching as there usually is with most teams they face.

I would take Denver's D over the Colts and the Pats shredded them.

I would like for the Colts to try to pound the run, unless it's because they're milking the clock with a big lead! Every running play is one less pass that Luck will be making, and one less potential bomb to Hilton. It's not unlike the strategy the Patriots deployed with Manning and the Broncos. Stay in the sub, make it too tempting to hand it off, concede the run a little but try to limit the gains. 

I've seen a lot of suggested game plans and coverage match-ups in this thread. Everyone's got an opinion of who should be on who. But really, unless you've got a guy shadowing another guy, you know that's not how it works. You have to mix it up at least a little. I think putting your best corner on Gronk might be a mistake, because as good as Davis has been, he's giving up a lot of size, and Gronkowski does a terrific job of using his big frame to get good position on defenders. Plus he's spent a lot of time doing one-on-one drills with Revis covering him and Brady throwing him the ball. 

Part of me also thinks that, even though they've been chucking it all over the field lately, the Patriots will come out and test the Indy run D early on. You'll see it out of the 2 TE set quite a bit I think. They obviously saw that as a weakness in the playoffs last year when Blount ran for 817 yards (or whatever it was... obvious hyperbole is obvious). He's gone, of course, and Ridley's out for the year, but Vereen has been playing well and I like this kid (Jonas Gray) they have in their "big back" role at the moment. 

Yes, it's never, "Team is going to do this." and it will work for the game.  There is so much more that is determined by D&D, where on the field and game time. For that, I think the key is to mix it up.  A plan for the 1st quarter, a different plan for the 2nd quarter, etc.

And pounding the ball will open up the big passes to TY even more, especially if Revis is on him.  Revis is a lot like Davis, both are excellent CBs but their strengths lie in the ability to mirror receivers not the straight line speed.

It should be a good game.  Now the Pats have settled on an oline things have evened out a bit for them.  The big thing for the Colts will be if AL tries to do too much and if he tries to score a TD on every play.  That is when the Colts O gets into trouble.

The Pitt game seems to happen to the Colts a few times a year. Last year it was the Rams and the Cards. I also think the in game coaching has been up and down. I think there is distinct advantage for the Pats in terms of coaching as there usually is with most teams they face.

I'm not saying the Colts coaching is better than the Pats, just I don't consider it a weakness. I think the Colts defense is also better than Denver's, when healthy. They have the edge in the pass-rush department but thats about it for me. 

I'm not saying the Colts coaching is better than the Pats, just I don't consider it a weakness. I think the Colts defense is also better than Denver's, when healthy. They have the edge in the pass-rush department but thats about it for me. 

Yeah, I am not saying it is chasm but coaching will be key as it always is.

To me, the key to this game for the defense isn't stopping Gronk, it won't happen, but double him and try to limit him and win our 1 on 1 match-ups with the receivers (Basically Edelman and Lafell). I like Davis against any receiver New England can line up against him, and Toler has been solid for us. Stop the run like we have most of the year and force New England to pass. Likewise on offense, we should be able to run the ball well, and we know no defense is going to shut down our passing game, too many options to do so. 

Yeah, the Pats lost, so that means the coaches put together a bad gameplan. 

SMH

Absolutely it was the coaching. Not just the game plan but the inability of the coaching staff to have the Oline have any consistency. At that point in the season they will still mixing and matching the line after trading Mankins. They also were still tinkering with their defense having Revis in space mostly and no solid player at SS and Andy Reid absolutely torched them with a great game plan.

The mark of every Bill coached team is that they get better as the season goes along and this season has been no exception. It probably would have better for the Colts to play them back in Sept. Right now Bill has 9 games of tape on the Colts AND two weeks to prepare. His record after the bye is insanely good.

Absolutely it was the coaching. Not just the game plan but the inability of the coaching staff to have the Oline have any consistency. At that point in the season they will still mixing and matching the line after trading Mankins. They also were still tinkering with their defense having Revis in space mostly and no solid player at SS and Andy Reid absolutely torched them with a great game plan.

The mark of every Bill coached team is that they get better as the season goes along and this season has been no exception. It probably would have better for the Colts to play them back in Sept. Right now Bill has 9 games of tape on the Colts AND two weeks to prepare. His record after the bye is insanely good.

So Andy Reid outcoached Bill Belichick?

10-4 after the bye Interestingly enough out of those 10 wins 6 were against buffalo. so 4-4 after the bye when not playing the bills including a loss last year to the panthers

So Andy Reid outcoached Bill Belichick?

I think the first four weeks of the season were an extension of the preseason. Pats did not have things figured out yet which is not like tIem. But for sure Reid outcoached him in that game. How could you say he didn't? It is rare but it does happen to Bill.

You come across as a little judgmental. The Pats gave up 41 points to the Chiefs. Last year, they only scored 6 points against the Bengals. The year before, late in the year -- kind of debunking your "Bill gets better as the year goes on" theory -- 41 points to the Niners.

Moral of the story: Every team has a bad game every now and then. It doesn't mean the coaching is suspect.

You come across as a little judgmental. The Pats gave up 41 points to the Chiefs. Last year, they only scored 6 points against the Bengals. The year before, late in the year -- kind of debunking your "Bill gets better as the year goes on" theory -- 41 points to the Niners.

Moral of the story: Every team has a bad game every now and then. It doesn't mean the coaching is suspect.

How did you feel about the in game coaching in last years playoff game with the Pats? How about the game plan to stop the KC offense in the prior playoff game?

My point is the Colts have looked clueless at times in some of their games. The Rams and Cards jump out from last year and the first half vs the Texans as well until Kubiak collapsed.

Perhaps you are right and they are just hiccups. But this year's Pitt game was reminiscent to me anyways of those games last year. I think the Colts are a much better team than Pitt.

Both of those Pats game last year were one score games though at the end.

With the Colts our coaches are young and green and probably still need to figure out how to manage the team in terms of motivation and game plans .... they are doing a good job but at times the coaching is lacking in games mostly. We are trying to figure out - still - if we wan to be the Andrew Luck led Colts or have more balance. When we put it all on Luck he has turnovers which I think scares the mgmt team into going back to more balance. I do think they are all in with him at this point but still want to run to keep teams honest.

How did you feel about the in game coaching in last years playoff game with the Pats? How about the game plan to stop the KC offense in the prior playoff game?

My point is the Colts have looked clueless at times in some of their games. The Rams and Cards jump out from last year and the first half vs the Texans as well until Kubiak collapsed.

Perhaps you are right and they are just hiccups. But this year's Pitt game was reminiscent to me anyways of those games last year. I think the Colts are a much better team than Pitt.

The coaching was fine against the Pats. We were outmatched on the field, we had some turnovers, and then made a huge mistake on Blount's TD. 

And the defense against the Chiefs was an issue of getting beat on a couple of passes. The only coaching issue I had was with having Toler on the field, because it became very obvious right away that he couldn't run. We got him out of there and shut him down, and that was that.

Texans game last year wasn't bad coaching, either. Unless you think poor coverage equals bad coaching. One of Vontae's worst games as a Colt, plus two special teams mistakes. Unless the coaches failed to show McAfee how to catch a long snap before a punt, I don't see how those mistakes fall on the coaching. 

It's also strange how people suggest that Kubiak leaving that game somehow allowed the Colts to come back. As if teams haven't blown enough leads for people to realize that games aren't over at halftime...

I don't think that a bad game is automatically an indication of bad coaching, or coaching mistakes. That's what you're basically insinuating, and it's not true.

Again, every team has a bad game now and then. It doesn't mean the coaching is suspect. 

With the Colts our coaches are young and green and probably still need to figure out how to manage the team in terms of motivation and game plans .... they are doing a good job but at times the coaching is lacking in games mostly. We are trying to figure out - still - if we wan to be the Andrew Luck led Colts or have more balance. When we put it all on Luck he has turnovers which I think scares the mgmt team into going back to more balance. I do think they are all in with him at this point but still want to run to keep teams honest.

Its funny. In the week before we played the broncos you called fans allegiance into question for posting things just like this.

Still bad games for the Pats.

I disagree with you about our coaches.

Dear God...

Its funny. In the week before we played the broncos you called fans allegiance into question for posting things just like this.

I have been saying this for quite some time perhaps you only noticed it prior to the Broncos game. Our team is not perfect. I have never been afraid of admitting that although I have been quite surprised by how well we have played this year especially on defense. I do have questions about our coaching but nothing that I am overly concerned about. Pagano is a new HC and Pep a new OC so there will be issues from time to time ... I am not sure why everyone expects so much so soon to be honest. They want Luck to be perfect, the coaches perfect, the game plans perfect. It is hard to win in the NFL. I am looking forward to the Pats game as I think it will be a great litmus test for us to see where we stand against the best team in the AFC and our number one nemesis. If we do win this game, I think the confidence we will gain will be important for the rest of the season and into the post-season.

The coaching was fine against the Pats. We were outmatched on the field, we had some turnovers, and then made a huge mistake on Blount's TD. 

And the defense against the Chiefs was an issue of getting beat on a couple of passes. The only coaching issue I had was with having Toler on the field, because it became very obvious right away that he couldn't run. We got him out of there and shut him down, and that was that.

Texans game last year wasn't bad coaching, either. Unless you think poor coverage equals bad coaching. One of Vontae's worst games as a Colt, plus two special teams mistakes. Unless the coaches failed to show McAfee how to catch a long snap before a punt, I don't see how those mistakes fall on the coaching. 

It's also strange how people suggest that Kubiak leaving that game somehow allowed the Colts to come back. As if teams haven't blown enough leads for people to realize that games aren't over at halftime...

I don't think that a bad game is automatically an indication of bad coaching, or coaching mistakes. That's what you're basically insinuating, and it's not true.

Again, every team has a bad game now and then. It doesn't mean the coaching is suspect. 

So you were fine with the punt on fourth one down several scores with 10 minutes to go?

Perhaps we watched two different games but the Chiefs mauled you with Smith throwing 4 TDs and almost 400 yards with no picks. It is one thing to be overmatched or beat but your guys were not even in the picture in the pass game.

Kubiak didn't just leave the game. He collapsed on the sideline and was rushed to the hospital. Never seen anything like that in my life in an NFL game. You could hear all the sound literally get sucked out of Reliant stadium after that. I would think that would have shook up his team a bit prior to the second half.

I don't think bad games insinuate bad coaching as the Colts have lost plenty of games the last three seasons but the ones I listed along with the Pitt game this year stand out as games where the team did not look ready to play either because of game plan or just motivation or perhaps both.

If the Pats are able to stop the run in their nickel like they did vs Denver than lights out.

I have read most of your posts in this thread and while I understand a Pats fan feeling confident about your team, it seems as if you give Indy no chance to win this game which is nonsense.  The Colts are not showing up for a gun fight with a knife.  They have a few bullets of their own - some damn good ones.

I have read most of your posts in this thread and while I understand a Pats fan feeling confident about your team, it seems as if you give Indy no chance to win this game which is nonsense.  The Colts are not showing up for a gun fight with a knife.  They have a few bullets of their own - some damn good ones.

There is a chance for sure. I do feel good about it but I expect a good game with the Pats pulling away late.

I just looked up points differential and Pats are +83 and the Colts +79. Those are the top 2 differentials in the league.

Question for you - how has your STs been? I know Adam is Adam but how about your coverage teams and punt/kick returns? STs played a big role vs Denver which I accurately predicated it would.

This right here pretty much sums up the amount of time you spend watching Colts games or the amount of time spent reading anything Colts related. Adam is great and all but if he were not a former Patriot, you would have no clue who our kicker is. Our real weapon on special teams is Pat McAfee. :yes: We are 3 for 3 for onside kicks and top percentage of punts dropped within the 20. Hell, if you search NFL Onside Kicks on google, it's all Colts related. Not saying that you will see anything out of the ordinary when we play but just spreading some knowledge that you probably don't know.