Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to stop the Pats?

3nk1du

Well here are few stats:

53 passes(333 yards, 4 to, 1 int), 25 rushes ( 66 yards).

The biggest threat was Gronk 9 rec, 105 yards, 1td.

The Pats knew that Broncos Defense were #1 against the rush so they run the ball to kept them true but Colts defense isn't as talented as the Broncos, we don't have V.Miller, D.Ware to pressure the QB, against Pitt we weren't able to pressure the QB i don't see us pressuring Brady to make him take bad decisions, so any ideas how to stop them??

I just have one idea and that idea is "Score more than them and keep the Pats offense out of the field" because i don't see our defense stop the pats every 2-3 series, i do see them just giving 3 points(a couple of times).

I think TY can burn Browner again and if they put Davis against TY(he is faster than Davis and they are gonna double team TY) then we have Reggie against Browner and Allen/Moncrief/Fleener making plays.

I made his thread before the game against Giants because if we won that game and the defense looks good then we may be on a state were we think our Defense is good  enough to take Brady.

Sorry if it's a early to make this topic but after i saw Pats offense taking apart Broncos defense i couldn't stop think about how to stop them.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to disrupt passing lanes and timing without giving up the deep ball. This task was much easier before the emergence of Gronk and LaFell. I think this will get our pass rush going.

Hopefully Vontae puts a lick or two on Vareen out of the backfield similar to Gio. We need to get our defensive intensity back.

Honestly, no solution yet. Its all up to the defense up to this point. The performance against the Steelers is just unacceptable. Even the Jags defense couldve atleast stopped them in a couple drives.

The fact that the defense cannot get to the quarterback is a huge problem at this point...

Management shouldve traded for or picked up someone already from free agency...

One game at a time... Lets get past the G-men first then worry about the Pats!  LOL.  Sorry, had to say it.

The Pats are certainly going to give the Colts D trouble.  I would say you have to play tight man coverage on the outside and find a way to cover the TEs running slants in the middle.  I would say bracket Gronk with a LB and Safety every time he is on the field.  I am confident that Davis and Toler can handle their men one on one.  But they have to find a way to get in Brady's face and disrupt his rythm.  Once the Pats get in that rythm its over, you might as well let them score to save clock. 

On the Offense... No stinkin turnovers!  Use hot reads to eliminate the effectiveness of their blitzes... something they didnt do at all against the Steelers.  If they want to blitz dump it off to a RB or TE.  The Pats are great at that so the D is going to have to be on their game.  In the end it will be a shootout most likely.  We have the advantage that we are at home.

Should be a fun game!

No turnovers and develop a pass rush. The two games New England lost were to Miami and Kansas City, both on the road. Oakland lost, but they only allowed NE to score 16 points. If other teams can do that, so can the Colts. The Jets lost by only two points. NE doesn't always win by such large margins. If the Jets and Oakland can keep it close....

Let's get past the Giants first, though. They are the first concern, and that team will be wanting a win.

Honestly, no solution yet. Its all up to the defense up to this point. The performance against the Steelers is just unacceptable. Even the Jags defense couldve atleast stopped them in a couple drives.

The fact that the defense cannot get to the quarterback is a huge problem at this point...

Management shouldve traded for or picked up someone already from free agency...

So the Colts lost games to other playoff teams and now you are pointing fingers?  If you would check the other AFC teams you will see there are 8 other teams with a record as good or better than the Colts. Trades and free agents in general is not how to build a lasting team.

We have to bring our A+ game in each of our phases - offense, defense, special teams. I feel like our defense is like Jekyll & Hyde, couple games are great and then a couple games are like having completely different players out there. We also have to play physical like how Pitt played us last week. If we play scared like Denver did last night, there's no chance in hell we will make it through that game.

Pay the officials more than they do.

the sad thing is this rings more true than one would think...especially in games played in Gillette.......but the game is in Indy so that should make a huuuuuge difference.

my worry is that it seems that the Brady Great Wall of O Line seems to be coming back, so getting to him will be tough. However, when Denver blitzed yesterday they seemed to get to Brady and was effective, just never did it much.

Playing our game and not bowing down to them. You still have to play the game simple as that. A lot of people including myself thought we were gonna beat the Steelers. That didn't happen obviously and we lost in the worst way.  Who's to say that we can't beat New England. 

Yup. I hate how everyone thinks they are going to lose to the Patriots. Teams playing scared. REALLY? Play physical hard hitting football and that's what it takes to beat great teams.

Gronk has lasted more games than I thought he would. 

We can't cover tight ends, so we will have to rely on that manufactured pass rush and hope that we can rattle Brady if we have a shot at beating them. 

I wonder if we shouldn't stick with a four man rush most of this game, play single high, and bracket Gronk with a safety and a linebacker. Butler does a good job on Welker/Edelman kind of receivers, generally. Davis and Toler can handle Amendola and LaFell. And our front is generally pretty good against traditional rushing attacks. I think I'd hold back on the blitz for this game, and let everything else sort itself out.

I wonder if we shouldn't stick with a four man rush most of this game, play single high, and bracket Gronk with a safety and a linebacker. Butler does a good job on Welker/Edelman kind of receivers, generally. Davis and Toler can handle Amendola and LaFell. And our front is generally pretty good against traditional rushing attacks. I think I'd hold back on the blitz for this game, and let everything else sort itself out.

4 man rush is the prototype approach for statues like Brady and Manning - no argument, but I don't like our chances with it for this game.  We've gotten very little pressure with 4, and it seems unlikely to start to work against Brady.  I think we'll have to blitz and try to re-create the timing disruptions that the Jets do when they give Brady problems.  Vanilla won't cut it.

4 man rush is the prototype approach for statues like Brady and Manning - no argument, but I don't like our chances with it for this game.  We've gotten very little pressure with 4, and it seems unlikely to start to work against Brady.  I think we'll have to blitz and try to re-create the timing disruptions that the Jets do when they give Brady problems.  Vanilla won't cut it.

I counter with the issues that will create for coverage, especially in the middle of the field, where we're weakest and they're strongest. Blitzing like we normally do just increases the advantage they already have against us.

I counter with the issues that will create for coverage, especially in the middle of the field, where we're weakest and they're strongest. Blitzing like we normally do just increases the advantage they already have against us.

Classical match-up give and take.  We don't have the resources to take it all away...so we'll probably give up some points.  I guess I'd rather give up those points being aggressive rather than setting back in coverage - especially against a rhythm thrower like Brady.  

I know you are talking sound football strategy, but for my money, I'll take my chances blitzing Brady at this point in his career than giving him time and clear lines of site.

Yup. I hate how everyone thinks they are going to lose to the Patriots. Teams playing scared. REALLY? Play physical hard hitting football and that's what it takes to beat great teams.

People were acting the same last year with the Seattle and Denver games.

I didn't see too many people say we even had a chance in those.

Our offense is better than the Pats. All we need is our defense to play like we know they can and it won't even be close.

I also looked at the Steelers boards before our game and everyone was saying the steelers were going to get slaughtered.

Any given Sunday, folks.

I was disappointed in how the Denver defense didn't even hardly press their WR's and Gronk....I remember a game, where Tony Gonzales was killing NE.  You know what Belicheck did?  He put two guys on the line of scrimmage and both of them stopped him from even getting to his route.  That is what teams need to do for Gronk.  Quit putting one man on him.  You knew he was going to him on that 1 yard TD.  Put two guys out there.  Take him out of the game and make Brady beat you with the other guys.

Press their guys at the line.  Don't give them cushions, this allows for more time for our line to get to Brady.  Brady's line isn't as good as it has been in the past.  You beat Brady by pressuring both the WR's/TE's and getting pressure on him.

People were acting the same last year with the Seattle and Denver games.

I didn't see too many people say we even had a chance in those.

Our offense is better than the Pats. All we need is our defense to play like we know they can and it won't even be close.

I also looked at the Steelers boards before our game and everyone was saying the steelers were going to get slaughtered.

Any given Sunday, folks.

Yes - I checked the steeler's board and they were all doubting pulling it off. Then BAM, Colts smacked in the damn mouth. We can definitely beat the Patriots. Step up, play physical, and play smart.

What's going to be rough is Gronk. Lets face it...we can't stop him. We couldn't contain heath Miller, who, while no slouch, is no where close to the weapon Gronk is. That's what scares me most about this matchup.

We also left Heath Miller wide open during a couple of his catches. One play our corners were on the same receiver and then Ben threw to the other receiver and torched us because he was wide open. Ouch. That's just bad football.

What's going to be rough is Gronk. Lets face it...we can't stop him. We couldn't contain heath Miller, who, while no slouch, is no where close to the weapon Gronk is. That's what scares me most about this matchup.

Make a trade for Bernard Pollard from the Titans before the Patriots game.:)

Classical match-up give and take.  We don't have the resources to take it all away...so we'll probably give up some points.  I guess I'd rather give up those points being aggressive rather than setting back in coverage - especially against a rhythm thrower like Brady.  

I know you are talking sound football strategy, but for my money, I'll take my chances blitzing Brady at this point in his career than giving him time and clear lines of site.

Brady looks like 2010-2011 Brady right now, mostly because Gronk looks like 2010-2011 Gronk. Blitz him and it makes it easier for him to find Gronk across the middle. Not to mention Edelman. And we're already weak across the middle.

I just think our coverage is good enough on the outside that we can leave those guys mostly in one on one, try to neutralize Brady's favorite target, and force him to go through his reads until he finds a throw he wants to try. He's a "take what they give" kind of QB, so if we bracket Gronk, he'll come off of him and look elsewhere. Generally speaking.

I'm not afraid of their run game. So they'd have to beat Davis, Toler and Butler on the outside, with one pretty good inside guy, and two average outside guys. I like our coverage in that situation. 

To me, if we lessen Gronk's impact, Brady goes back to looking like he did most of last season, and the early part of this season: still a great QB, but someone who has to be at his best for his receivers to make plays, and is generally more of a 60%, 225 yard/game kind of player, who is too risk-averse to throw the ball deep to well covered receivers. The Chiefs blitzed him 7 times, and he completed 71% of his passes and had a passer rating of 95.5. The rest of the time, he was 56% with a rating of 56.8. Gronk probably wasn't as healthy as he is now, but they still devoted a lot of attention to him, and he was a nonfactor. 

Would be similar to our gameplan against the Broncos last year. Very little blitzing, tight coverage, and that's against better outside receivers. Not quite as good at slot and TE, but still dang good. 

Good football head talk. I'm curious to see what we do. Still two weeks away...

Brady looks like 2010-2011 Brady right now, mostly because Gronk looks like 2010-2011 Gronk. Blitz him and it makes it easier for him to find Gronk across the middle. Not to mention Edelman. And we're already weak across the middle.

I just think our coverage is good enough on the outside that we can leave those guys mostly in one on one, try to neutralize Brady's favorite target, and force him to go through his reads until he finds a throw he wants to try. He's a "take what they give" kind of QB, so if we bracket Gronk, he'll come off of him and look elsewhere. Generally speaking.

I'm not afraid of their run game. So they'd have to beat Davis, Toler and Butler on the outside, with one pretty good inside guy, and two average outside guys. I like our coverage in that situation. 

To me, if we lessen Gronk's impact, Brady goes back to looking like he did most of last season, and the early part of this season: still a great QB, but someone who has to be at his best for his receivers to make plays, and is generally more of a 60%, 225 yard/game kind of player, who is too risk-averse to throw the ball deep to well covered receivers. The Chiefs blitzed him 7 times, and he completed 71% of his passes and had a passer rating of 95.5. The rest of the time, he was 56% with a rating of 56.8. Gronk probably wasn't as healthy as he is now, but they still devoted a lot of attention to him, and he was a nonfactor. 

Would be similar to our gameplan against the Broncos last year. Very little blitzing, tight coverage, and that's against better outside receivers. Not quite as good at slot and TE, but still dang good. 

Good football head talk. I'm curious to see what we do. Still two weeks away...

Really good analysis.  I guess I'm saying that I don't trust our ability to do as much with 4 as the Chiefs did with Hali/Houston - especially now that Gronk seems to be himself, and with the emergence of LaFell.  We don't have as much base pass rush to offer, and the Pats are offering way more as an offense to defend than they were against the Chiefs.

This is a movie that I feel like I've seen before...and I want to watch something different, even if it's just as bad.

We also left Heath Miller wide open during a couple of his catches. One play our corners were on the same receiver and then Ben threw to the other receiver and torched us because he was wide open. Ouch. That's just bad football.

Yeah I agree that's part of it. I guess my point is that we've made every tight end look like gronk...and now we are playing him lol