Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning

CjMcGirt23

Yeah, I know.

He didn't say he had Peyton's okay to draft a quarterback. He said he had talked with him about. I don't think the front office needs a player's approval to do anything, even if the player is Peyton Manning. If they want to take a quarterback, that's what they should do.

I commented on your post because the guy -- a Stampede Blue guy -- is misconstruing comments by both Manning and Polian in order to further the Stampede Blue agenda of "bash Polian at every turn."

End of the day, Manning didn't say that no one has talked to him about drafting a quarterback, and Polian didn't say he has Manning's OK to draft a quarterback.

Lol BP did say him an peyton talked... BP knows peyton can make it very hard for them when it comes to his contract.... it not like its really his decision anyway since he isnt the GM

Yeah, I know.

He didn't say he had Peyton's okay to draft a quarterback. He said he had talked with him about. I don't think the front office needs a player's approval to do anything, even if the player is Peyton Manning. If they want to take a quarterback, that's what they should do.

I commented on your post because the guy -- a Stampede Blue guy -- is misconstruing comments by both Manning and Polian in order to further the Stampede Blue agenda of "bash Polian at every turn."

End of the day, Manning didn't say that no one has talked to him about drafting a quarterback, and Polian didn't say he has Manning's OK to draft a quarterback.

i wont argue that... BBS, and stampedeblue are fond of creating troubles out of anything :)

Lol BP did say him an peyton talked... BP knows peyton can make it very hard for them when it comes to his contract.... it not like its really his decision anyway since he isnt the GM

That's not what grex is saying. He's saying Polian said Manning gave Polian his okay to draft a quarterback in the 2012 draft. Not that they simply talked about the possibility of drafting a quarterback.

Polian's comment was essentially 'we talked about maybe drafting a quarterback, and we almost did last year. Peyton's close to the end of his career, and he understands what we're doing.'

That's not what grex is saying. He's saying Polian said Manning gave Polian his okay to draft a quarterback in the 2012 draft. Not that they simply talked about the possibility of drafting a quarterback.

Polian's comment was essentially 'we talked about maybe drafting a quarterback, and we almost did last year. Peyton's close to the end of his career, and he understands what we're doing.'

the fact that peyton said he did not discuss anything of the kind with BP says that BP is lying... he doesnt need peytons consent but he didnt need to mention the OK of peyton either if it wasnt true

the fact that peyton said he did not discuss anything of the kind with BP says that BP is lying... he doesnt need peytons consent but he didnt need to mention the OK of peyton either if it wasnt true

That's not what Peyton said.

Manning says he has not had a conversation with Bill Polian in the past few weeks about the 2012 draft and the possibility of selecting a QB

That's not what Peyton said.

Lol dude you just quote what he said... meaning he did not discuss anything of that kind with BP... you do realize that BP said he and peyton talked about it like two weeks ago right?.. if peyton even had a conversation like that with BP at anytime he wouldnt have said that

I think the conversation that Polian had with Peyton about his 'replacement' took place back when they were negotiating his new contract. There was something about it at the time.

People are talking as if this conversation took place very recently.

If your about to sign a contract the last thing you would wanna hear is about a player in next years draft, so i highly doubt the talked about it here.. and his quote here makes you believe that even more.

"On an edition of "The Bill Polian Show" in November, the Colts Vice Chairman said that he spoke to Manning about drafting a quarterback and said of Manning "he's fine with it."

Friday Manning denied that he has had such a conversation with Polian and says he will try to stay out of the entire draft process.

"Bill keeps a lot of the players informed on different things but I've never known who we're going to draft in year's past," said Manning. "I'm not in personnel,I don't do personnel. So I've had no conversation about the 2012 draft especially because I think that's inappropriate to think that I would have during the 2011 season while we're playing."

Lol dude you just quote what he said... meaning he did not discuss anything of that kind with BP... you do realize that BP said he and peyton talked about it like two weeks ago right?.. if peyton even had a conversation like that with BP at anytime he wouldnt have said that

If your about to sign a contract the last thing you would wanna hear is about a player in next years draft, so i highly doubt the talked about it here.. and his quote here makes you believe that even more.

"On an edition of "The Bill Polian Show" in November, the Colts Vice Chairman said that he spoke to Manning about drafting a quarterback and said of Manning "he's fine with it."

Friday Manning denied that he has had such a conversation with Polian and says he will try to stay out of the entire draft process.

"Bill keeps a lot of the players informed on different things but I've never known who we're going to draft in year's past," said Manning. "I'm not in personnel,I don't do personnel. So I've had no conversation about the 2012 draft especially because I think that's inappropriate to think that I would have during the 2011 season while we're playing."

http://www.wsbt.com/...0,7287851.story

I think maybe you're being overly dogmatic about what Polian said and what Manning said. I quoted what someone tweeted about Manning's comments -- a paraphrase -- and it does not mean that they have not talked about the possibility of drafting a quarterback at any point in time. Manning said 'we haven't talked about it in recent weeks.' Polian said two weeks ago 'we talked about it before.' He didn't say "we just got through talking about us drafting a quarterback last night on the phone," which is what you're making it seem like Polian said. Polian's comments were very general.

September 2011: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6963159/bill-polian-expects-peyton-manning-back-says-time-find-heir

"You look at every position, and
Peyton and I did talk when we did his last contract
that the time is approaching to look at new quarterbacks and we have to evaluate whether they could be starting quarterbacks for the
Indianapolis Colts
," Polian said.

"We took a look at a couple of quarterbacks last year, they didn't fall to us. But had they, we may have taken them. We're going to scout them (quarterbacks) as if we will take them, but that's a long process between now and then (the draft)."

November 14: http://www.colts.com/news-and-events/article-1/THE-POLIAN-CORNER/b7a1ea01-38c5-4097-8c8f-db47091cfb38

Q: What are the chances of going after Andrew Luck in the draft so he can be molded?

A: I’m not going to mention any particular player because we haven’t made any decision on who that player might be. I’m around the country scouting this week. I will finish up, ironically enough, at Stanford, but only because it’s the most convenient thing to do on a bye week. It has nothing to do with any choice that we’ve made at this point in time, or would make at any time until April. I have said this in numerous inquiries, I guess it’s from people in the media more than fans, the bottom line is if the right person is there, and it has to be the right person, now is the time to consider that.
Peyton and I have spoken about that, and he’s fine with it

To me, those two comments are related. Polian didn't say that Manning has given his blessing to draft a quarterback in the 2012 draft, which is what people are saying Polian said. In fact, what Polian said is that he and Manning have talked, even while they were in the process of doing the last contract, about drafting a quarterback.

Now, what Manning said was the following: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57335886/encouraged-manning-still-hopes-to-play-in-2011/

"He (Bill Polian) and I have not had a conversation
about the 2012 draft
," Manning said, referring to the Colts' vice chairman. "Bill keeps the players informed on a lot of things, but I've never been informed about who we're going to draft and I think that would be inappropriate."

So again, going back to mgrex's original comment, that's not what Bill Polian said, and that's not what Peyton Manning said. If you're going to call a person a liar over a general comment he made three months ago, and another he made two weeks ago, at least put his comments into context.

I think maybe you're being overly dogmatic about what Polian said and what Manning said. I quoted what someone tweeted about Manning's comments -- a paraphrase -- and it does not mean that they have not talked about the possibility of drafting a quarterback at any point in time. Manning said 'we haven't talked about it in recent weeks.' Polian said two weeks ago 'we talked about it before.' He didn't say "we just got through talking about us drafting a quarterback last night on the phone," which is what you're making it seem like Polian said. Polian's comments were very general.

September 2011: http://espn.go.com/n...-time-find-heir

"You look at every position, and
Peyton and I did talk when we did his last contract
that the time is approaching to look at new quarterbacks and we have to evaluate whether they could be starting quarterbacks for the
," Polian said.

"We took a look at a couple of quarterbacks last year, they didn't fall to us. But had they, we may have taken them. We're going to scout them (quarterbacks) as if we will take them, but that's a long process between now and then (the draft)."

November 14: http://www.colts.com...8f-db47091cfb38

Q: What are the chances of going after Andrew Luck in the draft so he can be molded?

A: I’m not going to mention any particular player because we haven’t made any decision on who that player might be. I’m around the country scouting this week. I will finish up, ironically enough, at Stanford, but only because it’s the most convenient thing to do on a bye week. It has nothing to do with any choice that we’ve made at this point in time, or would make at any time until April. I have said this in numerous inquiries, I guess it’s from people in the media more than fans, the bottom line is if the right person is there, and it has to be the right person, now is the time to consider that.
Peyton and I have spoken about that, and he’s fine with it

To me, those two comments are related. Polian didn't say that Manning has given his blessing to draft a quarterback in the 2012 draft, which is what people are saying Polian said. In fact, what Polian said is that he and Manning have talked, even while they were in the process of doing the last contract, about drafting a quarterback.

Now, what Manning said was the following: http://www.cbsnews.c...o-play-in-2011/

"He (Bill Polian) and I have not had a conversation
about the 2012 draft
," Manning said, referring to the Colts' vice chairman. "Bill keeps the players informed on a lot of things, but I've never been informed about who we're going to draft and I think that would be inappropriate."

So again, going back to mgrex's original comment, that's not what Bill Polian said, and that's not what Peyton Manning said. If you're going to call a person a liar over a general comment he made three months ago, and another he made two weeks ago, at least put his comments into context.

"He (Bill Polian) and I have not had a conversation about the 2012 draft," Manning said"

That is from your last link....im not talking about previous years because im quite sure the colts did give peyton the heads up that they are looking at QB's ever since Mark Sanchez BUT as of 2012 draft peyton has not talked about that with polian... that last quote is as plain as its gonna get... but looking at Polians comment about peyton being ok with drating a QB he could be talking about PAST talks with peyton

to be honest it really doesnt matter to me.

Even if Manning comes back I'm not confident he will play that long. We need our franchise QB of the future.

I hear ya, but I have soooo many unanswered questions. For example, could PM take THIS Colts team to the playoffs? Was it JUST him that brought us the promised land for all those years. I need those questions answered. Even if we suck for years after, I NEED 2~3 more Peyton years.........please!

I know he has a roster bonus due, but I'm not sure that entire amount hits the cap in one year.

Even if it does, the #1 pick would be due about $5 or $6 million a year, with probably a $4 million cap hit in 2012. If we traded down and took another quarterback in the first round, we're still talking about a $3 million cap hit. So, things being whatever they're going to be with Manning's contract, taking a quarterback, even with the first pick, is not an issue of affordability.

If Peyton is traded on or before March 1st... the Colts get stuck with all of his 28 m dollar "balloon" payment. 7 m per knocks off every year he is "with" the team.. So if in the 12 season the Colts trade Manning.... they are still hit with a 21 m dollar cap hit.

And non of this accounts for his "salary" .... this balloon payment is a one time signing bonus.

Trading Manning only makes sense at year 3 of his contract.