Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning

CjMcGirt23

I was just reading the article on Peyton's status on ESPN and noticed something. It talked about us likely getting the first pick yada yada yada etc. It said that Polian said we could have two QB's on the roster (nothing new) but then it said "and team owner Jim Irsay has said he believes the two sides could work out a new contract that would make it less costly to keep Manning." When has Jim Irsay said this just wondering. I've never seen that.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7304392/peyton-manning-doctor-says-fusion-healed-firmly

I was just reading the article on Peyton's status on ESPN and noticed something. It talked about us likely getting the first pick yada yada yada etc. It said that Polian said we could have two QB's on the roster (nothing new) but then it said "and team owner Jim Irsay has said he believes the two sides could work out a new contract that would make it less costly to keep Manning." When has Jim Irsay said this just wondering. I've never seen that.

http://espn.go.com/n...n-healed-firmly

Manning healthy and on the roster this "up coming" season will be a 35 million D hit, along with Luck's rookie wage.

It is totally possible. But, I must admit.... I don't see it.

If Manning is healthy...... I am trading the #1 pick for a bounty of picks. (spent all on OL and D)

And this team is dancing again.. Next Year.

I personally think Manning will retire. I just can't see him playing anymore after the seriousness of his nerve issues.

Reworking Manning's contract is the "HUGE ISSUE"... nobody on Indy radio can get a definite answer. IF... Indy and Manning could "restructure" a deal... That is nearly a best case scenario for the Colts.

Even if Manning comes back I'm not confident he will play that long. We need our franchise QB of the future.

Assuming Peyton comes back healthy and plays out his contract at a high level, i would feel fine trading the pick this year in return for multiple picks/players to solidify the rest of the team around him. While i dont think our front office will trade the pick, in that situation, it would greatly help the team over the next 4yrs...

I think that Luck will be a good NFL QB, but the fact is, we dont really know...and i dont think he's the last good QB that will come out in the next 5yrs. With that said, if we can take Luck #1 and he is our back up for the remainder of Peyton's career...and we're still able to correctly address other areas of need and get better in the off season, then I would be fine with that.

There are several players on the team now that need to either restructure their deals or be traded, and some that should be released before next season. We simply cant afford to pay Freeney what his contract will pay him next season...he will count for over $12mil vs the cap next season...and Brackett around $6mil...while I'd like to keep Freeney, it would help the team out in a HUGE way if he would restructure his deal.

All that said, I'm one of the seemingly few people that still feel like with a healthy Manning, we're not too many pieces away from being serious contenders again. With a full season of a healthy Castonzo, Ijilana and Nevis, i think both lines are greatly improved.

I think even if its still unknown how well manning will be able to play by draft day we should still trade the pick. we could get a healthy deal for that 1st overall pick. Alot of teams will want Luck, we could still get a very high caliber QB in the second round. Look at Andy Dalton and the other 2nd round QB's that came out last year there just as good as the ones that got picked in the 1st (besides Cam Newton). Theres going to be about 4 QBs in this years draft that aren't far behind Lucks potentials.

I was just reading the article on Peyton's status on ESPN and noticed something. It talked about us likely getting the first pick yada yada yada etc. It said that Polian said we could have two QB's on the roster (nothing new) but then it said {snipped}

I beg to differ, I saw something new, this-

"Polian said Monday the Colts could keep Manning and draft Luck and still remain competitive under the salary cap"

I have never seen Luck's name mentioned directly as the draft pick by Polian before. Interesting.

"Polian said Monday the Colts could keep Manning and draft Luck and still remain competitive under the salary cap"

I have never seen Luck's name mentioned directly as the draft pick by Polian before. Interesting.

That is an article quote not a Polian Quote

HERE IS POLIAN from the Polian corner this Monday , Now written in 2 parts & this is from part 2 written on Wed Nov 30th but saame interview I believe

Q: What is the future of the quarterback situation with the team in terms of the draft?

A: Well first of all, we’re not ready to make any decision on who we take until April. All of the results from all of the testing and examining that we do will not be in until around the first of April. It’s very, very premature to even mention player’s names. Now, there are a number of players whose names who are being bandied about. Andrew Luck is one of them. (He) can go back to school if he wishes. Those fellows have until January 15 to declare (for the draft), so they’re not even part of the equation at this point.

That said, I have said publicly on a number of occasions that if a quarterback, who is the right person was there, we would not hesitate to make that pick. We were prepared to do that last year and came awfully close to doing it. This year I think there is no question that if the right person were there, we would make the pick. Now who is the right person? I can’t tell you now. I’ll able to tell you in late April.

Where might that person, or persons be drafted? I don’t know. I’ll leave that projecting to the people who project for a living and don’t have to answer for their projections. The bottom line is if the right person is there, at the right time, we wouldn’t hesitate to take a quarterback. Beyond that, see me on draft day. We haven’t even heard from most of the counties, much less all the precincts at this point.

OK, I give. What potential Colt quarterback of the future that Polian wanted was available in the bottom 10 of the first round of last year's draft? Mallet or Dalton perhaps?

I may be wrong but thought Peyton liked Ponder as well as others

That is an article quote not a Polian Quote

HERE IS POLIAN from the Polian corner this Monday , Now written in 2 parts & this is from part 2 written on Wed Nov 30th but saame interview I believe

Q: What is the future of the quarterback situation with the team in terms of the draft?

A: Well first of all, we’re not ready to make any decision on who we take until April. All of the results from all of the testing and examining that we do will not be in until around the first of April. It’s very, very premature to even mention player’s names. Now, there are a number of players whose names who are being bandied about. Andrew Luck is one of them. (He) can go back to school if he wishes. Those fellows have until January 15 to declare (for the draft), so they’re not even part of the equation at this point.

That said, I have said publicly on a number of occasions that if a quarterback, who is the right person was there, we would not hesitate to make that pick. We were prepared to do that last year and came awfully close to doing it. This year I think there is no question that if the right person were there, we would make the pick. Now who is the right person? I can’t tell you now. I’ll able to tell you in late April.

Where might that person, or persons be drafted? I don’t know. I’ll leave that projecting to the people who project for a living and don’t have to answer for their projections. The bottom line is if the right person is there, at the right time, we wouldn’t hesitate to take a quarterback. Beyond that, see me on draft day. We haven’t even heard from most of the counties, much less all the precincts at this point.

sorry forgot , all of above from 1 question in

http://www.colts.com...a0-11a0c6e3f397

He also said in the next ? , his answer on how can afford 2 QBs Peyton & another draftee

First of all, the payment to first-round draft choices, if you assume that he’s taken in the first round, is far less than it was under the old agreement. You could afford that. I’m perfectly fine with that approach and don’t think it would be a problem at all if the right person were there. Just look to the Green Bay Packers.

It makes no sense for Polian to mention a player by name. I would suspect that was a writer adding their opinion to the story.

It was Dalton that they said the Colts were gonna grab.

Yea, and now Dalton is looking at beating Cam for Rookie of the Year honors! We really dropped the ball on not grabbing him. Very smart kid who has overcome all challenges, despite having a new OC, the lockout issues, and new receivers. Kudos to Dalton.

It makes no sense for Polian to mention a player by name. I would suspect that was a writer adding their opinion to the story.

Yes, it was the writer adding that to the story, to make it more interesting i would guess...

as a matter of fact, Bill goes out of his way EVERY time he's asked, to point out that he is not allowed to talk about/mention college players that have not yet declared for the draft etc...

Assuming Peyton comes back healthy and plays out his contract at a high level, i would feel fine trading the pick this year in return for multiple picks/players to solidify the rest of the team around him.

I agree with everything you said except this assumption. I don't think Peyton will have more than 2-3 years at a high level left. I think expecting 4-5 is unrealistic. So if it is only 2 years then if we wait to get the QB it might be a mistake.

I think that is the difficulty of these decisions. Nobody knows the future and you have the make your decision with the info available. It's so easy to look back and say "we should have let Sanders go sooner" or "I knew Hughes would be a bust" or whatever. But I think these decisions will be tough.

I am one of those who said is either PM or Luck. I still dont believe that you can manage to have a talentend team sb contender team with so much money tied to 1 position(2 players but at the end of the day only one plays). Of course my theory went to drain when Polliand said that it can happen, silly me ;)...

anyways bkravitz summed it best:

bkravitz Bob Kravitz

OK, 1 more time: If Peyton stays 1 yr, the next yr Colts take $35+ cap hit. If he stays 2 yrs, Luck ain't comin. Dont think w/your heart.

bkravitz Bob Kravitz

IF PM stays, Colts gotta spend big $$ to retain vets Wayne, Saturday, etc to go for it now. That kills ability to build for future w/Luck.

30 Nov

Regarding Poiian naming Luck by name, in a past Polian's corner BP said there is a rule that prevents NFL team personnel from specifically naming or dealing with underclassmen until such time that they officially declare for the draft. This is why you will not hear Polian or Irsay or any other team official specifically addressing Andrew Luck.

As a big Belichick fan I like to sometimes evoke some of his one-liners:

"Never make a tough decision until you have to."

I don't think even Irsay knows what the Colts are going to do. Wait it out. Manning could make some strides in his recovery. Luck could get his knee blown out this weekend. Still too many variables to have a clear path here. Let it ride until your hand is forced either way.

Manning healthy and on the roster this "up coming" season will be a 35 million D hit, along with Luck's rookie wage.

I know he has a roster bonus due, but I'm not sure that entire amount hits the cap in one year.

Even if it does, the #1 pick would be due about $5 or $6 million a year, with probably a $4 million cap hit in 2012. If we traded down and took another quarterback in the first round, we're still talking about a $3 million cap hit. So, things being whatever they're going to be with Manning's contract, taking a quarterback, even with the first pick, is not an issue of affordability.

The rookie wage for the first pick is no where near what it used to be it's chump change compared to the 72 million and such that bradford got and everything. If they rework manning's deal i believe it will be to make room for luck or some defensive players we could possibly sign.

If Manning is healthy...... I am trading the #1 pick for a bounty of picks. (spent all on OL and D)

And this team is dancing again.. Next Year.

I personally think Manning will retire. I just can't see him playing anymore after the seriousness of his nerve issues.

By "dancing" do you mean super bowl? Manning coming off a major procedure and rehab and not playing in a game for 21 months is going to lead his team to a SB with this bounty of rookies and whatever is left of a team that just went 0-16 the previous year?

And this humdinger, Manning is done for good and retiring, despite the fact that he is moving forward with his rehab and has stated that he hopes to play this year. I don't think he should or will play this year, but it sounds like you think you have some kind of exclusive insight into Manning's future. What the heck are you smoking? Both of these takes are ridiculous. The Eagles have proven this year that talent doesn't always equate to wins. Only time will tell if Manning will regain his strength in his arm. Listen to his doctors and the opinions of other doctors familiar with this procedure....he is expected to recover. It really bugs me when people shoot from the hip and spew nonsense like this so matter of factly. None of it makes a lick of sense.

there is no way the colts can keep both QB's and be competitive.. idc what BP says... irsay said himself there is no way you can pay QB's on your roster 20mil and still be competitive... and the colts are just that with peyton, collins, painter and orlovsky on the roster just under 20mil.... Now they will have to try to resign wayne, garcon and mathis and not to mention maybe saturday.

the best thing to do is trade down, trade luck... or release manning.

By "dancing" do you mean super bowl? Manning coming off a major procedure and rehab and not playing in a game for 21 months is going to lead his team to a SB with this bounty of rookies and whatever is left of a team that just went 0-16 the previous year?

And this humdinger, Manning is done for good and retiring, despite the fact that he is moving forward with his rehab and has stated that he hopes to play this year. I don't think he should or will play this year, but it sounds like you think you have some kind of exclusive insight into Manning's future. What the heck are you smoking? Both of these takes are ridiculous. The Eagles have proven this year that talent doesn't always equate to wins. Only time will tell if Manning will regain his strength in his arm. Listen to his doctors and the opinions of other doctors familiar with this procedure....he is expected to recover. It really bugs me when people shoot from the hip and spew nonsense like this so matter of factly. None of it makes a lick of sense.

we were just in the sb two years ago. Every year we went to the playoffs was b/c of manning so why would next year be different.

Also we are the opposite of the eagles lack of talent is our problem. I think most fans at this point just want better role players than superstars. We need to try to be like the patriots.

WE need to try to be like the Colts were for 10 years...

...but as fast as our D used to be..its not now..

We need premier atheletes on defense and a philosophical change to attack rather than bend-and-dont-break

JeffDarlington Jeff Darlington

Peyton Manning: "I don't know when the checkpoint is. I just hope for progress."

3 minutes ago

Peyton Manning: "I've been in a three-month holding pattern. I have some questions I need to answer for myself (related to pain, soreness)."

5 minutes ago

Will Peyton play this year? "It's hard to say. I have to practice first."

7 minutes ago

Peyton Manning at his locker: "Throwing will be part of this next progression. I will be throwing."

7 minutes ago

Peyton Manning: "It's nice to have the reigns taken off. The worst news I could have heard would have been you're not where you need to be."

WE need to try to be like the Colts were for 10 years...

...but as fast as our D used to be..its not now..

We need premier atheletes on defense and a philosophical change to attack rather than bend-and-dont-break

small, undersized poor tacklers? we need bigger, more physical players. Agree with you in that philosophical change. We don't need premier athletes just guys who do their job on a consistent basis and can make real plays every now and then. Everyone criticizes the patriots defense, but they don't let the other team score. 11th in scoring defense and that's what matters. They may give up yards, but after the catch, they tackle. Most of the yards they give up too is after the game is already over. Really no one on the patriots d is a superstar, but they do their job, and buy into the system. They're successful like that mainly because of the coaching. Maybe when we get better coaching, our players wiil succeed better. Our cornerback play is horrible right now except for powers, the others shouldn't even be in the league.

JasonSpells Jason Spells

Peyton Manning says he's been running, throwing "some" and now he'll begin weight lifting.

brittanydiehl Brittany Diehl

Manning says he has not had a conversation with Bill Polian in the past few weeks about the 2012 draft and the possibility of selecting a QB

jakequery Jake Query

#PeytonManning said he hasn't considered coaching after his playing career is over.

pwilson24 Phillip B Wilson

#Colts QB Peyton Manning still hopes to practice, has been throwing, will throw more, "it's too early" to tell on velocity, strength.

8 minutes ago

IMG-20111124-00404_normal.jpg

jakequery Jake Query

#PeytonManning says he has not had any recent conversation with Bill Polian regarding drafting a QB: "I'm not in personnel".

mgrex03 Matt Grecco

So Manning says nobody has talked to him about '12 draft, but Polian said he got Manning's OK to draft a QB? Something doesn't add up here..

hope PM is just trying to dismiss all that and avoid all the questions and that there really isnt any conflict PM-Pollian

That's not what Peyton Manning said, and that's not what Bill Polian said.

that wasnt my quote, it was from matt greco just for clarifications purposes :)

And Pollian did say that on a bill pollian show i think? i cant remember when was it but i do recall saying him something like "Me and Peyton have talked about taking a future qb next draft...blah blah we were close to take one last year"

bkravitz Bob Kravitz

Nothing new from Peyton, but he's not happy BPolian went on his show and said, "Yeah, Peyton and I have talked about drafting a QB.''

bkravitz Bob Kravitz

I can promise you, Peyton is not happy with the way the Polians have disseminated info on his health situation. Remember the JMV tweet?

bkravitz Bob Kravitz

PM said private talks should not be shared, then said they haven't had that talk. Asked him if Bill was not being truthful, he stammered.

bkravitz Bob Kravitz

Got to say, Peyton's really been upbeat, and not just today after the good news. Showed up the other day with his baby boy. Kids change you.

that wasnt my quote, it was from matt greco just for clarifications purposes :)

Yeah, I know.

And Pollian did say that on a bill pollian show i think? i cant remember when was it but i do recall saying him something like "Me and Peyton have talked about taking a future qb next draft...blah blah we were close to take one last year"

He didn't say he had Peyton's okay to draft a quarterback. He said he had talked with him about. I don't think the front office needs a player's approval to do anything, even if the player is Peyton Manning. If they want to take a quarterback, that's what they should do.

I commented on your post because the guy -- a Stampede Blue guy -- is misconstruing comments by both Manning and Polian in order to further the Stampede Blue agenda of "bash Polian at every turn."

End of the day, Manning didn't say that no one has talked to him about drafting a quarterback, and Polian didn't say he has Manning's OK to draft a quarterback.