Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Decker Catches Flak for Tweet to Engage with Jets Fans

OffensivelyPC

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/11792493/tweets-eric-decker-new-york-jets-lead-inadvertent-social-media-spat

This is really a non-story, but one that got a reaction out of me nonetheless.  I just don't understand how people can criticize, derogate, or call a tweet a publicity stunt such as this harmless one.  The guy simply just tries to interact with Jets fans and it blows up in his face.  It's like when a player, team, or the league (or anyone for that matter) donates something to a charity - and perhaps my disdain for people's reaction to this tweet stems from people criticizing donations.  But it really grinds my gears when someone donates something and people get upset because they have so much money that they could have donated more (as if to donate nothing at all would have been best), or they donated money to feed their ego, or for the tax benfit.  Unbelievable to me.  Some people just suck.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/11792493/tweets-eric-decker-new-york-jets-lead-inadvertent-social-media-spat

This is really a non-story, but one that got a reaction out of me nonetheless. I just don't understand how people can criticize, derogate, or call a tweet a publicity stunt such as this harmless one. The guy simply just tries to interact with Jets fans and it blows up in his face. It's like when a player, team, or the league (or anyone for that matter) donates something to a charity - and perhaps my disdain for people's reaction to this tweet stems from people criticizing donations. But it really grinds my gears when someone donates something and people get upset because they have so much money that they could have donated more (as if to donate nothing at all would have been best), or they donated money to feed their ego, or for the tax benfit. Unbelievable to me. Some people just suck.

The only reason this made headlines is because his wife fired back at those giving Decker a hardtime on twitter. She has to be smarter than that

fans say awful things to teams and to other fans..........most days

non story in my opinion

social media brings out the worst in people

That said, the reaction could have been predicted and should have been ignored.  you cannot win a social fight.  they just get worse

his wife really wan't thinking

Stunning. The team is 1-7. There is talk that the GM and coach will be fired before seasons end. It has been acknowledged that Geno Smith is a bust and the Jets will be looking for a new Qb in next years draft and Decker seriously asks the fanbase why they love the Jets? I mean that is just about the dumbest thing I have read but then again it is the Jets ...

Stunning. The team is 1-7. There is talk that the GM and coach will be fired before seasons end. It has been acknowledged that Geno Smith is a bust and the Jets will be looking for a new Qb in next years draft and Decker seriously asks the fanbase why they love the Jets? I mean that is just about the dumbest thing I have read but then again it is the Jets ...

Its easy when you have a winning team/culture to interact with the fans. Of course they adore you. Teams with losing cultures/teams have to work harder to show the fan base that they are interested in their support and thank them. You have to work harder to give them something to be a fan about...and if it isn't happening on the field you reach out in the community or try to be more open and inviting. When your on top you can get away with crappy post game commentary...or calling out a scoreboard operator (wink wink) because you have built up good will with the fan base...but a sour faced coach that is losing wouldn't last long nor would an ocd qb. I haven't read the tweets etc because I am almost certain its a bunch of stupidity. Sounds like the guy is just trying to build report with his new team/fanbase and give back a bit instead of taking his money and not caring about the fans. The best thing to do when people start being jerks is kill them with kindness or ignore the negativity....feeding the trolls like it sounds like his wife did is not going to engratiate yourself to anyone.

non story in my opinion

That said, the reaction could have been predicted and should have been ignored.  you cannot win a social fight.  they just get worse

While I agree with your comment I must say the whole mental attitude of a lot of people in N.Y. and the east coast are all the same. Arrogant and self loathing is the norm there. I used to spend a lot of time there in N.Y. and the surrounding areas and it took me a lot of time to get used to the mentality and foul mouths that seem to be everywhere. Yelling and cussing at each other is very common. There seems to be absolutely no respect shown to each other. I ask the few that I did know about that and they all said that's the way it is and not to pay any attention to it. It's kind of hard when you wasn't raised that way I guess.

Is your comment about Decker some left over hatred because he left the Pats? I read his comments and it wasn't at all out of line. It wasn't him at all, it was his wife that made it bad or did you bother to really know what happened before drawing the conclusion that you think Decker is dumb? If my memory serves me correct you and a few other Pats fans seem to have this hate thing for Decker going on.

Is your comment about Decker some left over hatred because he left the Pats? I read his comments and it wasn't at all out of line. It wasn't him at all, it was his wife that made it bad or did you bother to really know what happened before drawing the conclusion that you think Decker is dumb? If my memory serves me correct you and a few other Pats fans seem to have this hate thing for Decker going on.

when did Decker play for the pats?

The only reason this made headlines is because his wife fired back at those giving Decker a hardtime on twitter. She has to be smarter than that

Yeah, I don't disagree with that.  But if it were me, and my wife did something like that, of course I'm going to wnat to come to her defense.  I can get behind wanting to defend your spouse, even if her execution of it was in poor taste.  Probably could have chosen something better to say in rebuttal though.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. But if it were me, and my wife did something like that, of course I'm going to wnat to come to her defense. I can get behind wanting to defend your spouse, even if her execution of it was in poor taste. Probably could have chosen something better to say in rebuttal though.

Just goes to show....... Women ruin EVERYTHING!!!!

haha

non story in my opinion

It is a non-story. I won't dispute that.  His wife went about defending her husband the wrong way.  I wont' dispute that either. 

You cannot win the social fight.  Also not disputable, but when you walk around and among these people every day.  People that, whether you realize it or not, you rely upon in some regard to, at bare minimum, honor the most basic of human rules and laws. Part of that is expecting a little bit of decency from others and extent the same courtesy that others extend to them.  So when you see stories like this, as predictable and unimportant as it might be, it's the kind of thing that just keeps you from having faith in humanity.  Of course we can ignore it.  But just because you ignore the troll doesn't mean it goes away. 

Wait......are you telling me that people on the internet are outraged over something silly? How could this be? 

Not that I expect better, but it still doesn't keep me from being all wth about it.  No matter how many times it happens and how stupid and indefensible the public reaction might be, I'm reminded of how pathetic human beings can be.  And no one can really get used to that (or shouldn't have to, for that matter). 

Is your comment about Decker some left over hatred because he left the Pats? I read his comments and it wasn't at all out of line. It wasn't him at all, it was his wife that made it bad or did you bother to really know what happened before drawing the conclusion that you think Decker is dumb? If my memory serves me correct you and a few other Pats fans seem to have this hate thing for Decker going on.

My bad, I was thinking of Welker! I always get those 2 mixed up for some dumb reason I guess.

It is a non-story. I won't dispute that.  His wife went about defending her husband the wrong way.  I wont' dispute that either. 

You cannot win the social fight.  Also not disputable, but when you walk around and among these people every day.  People that, whether you realize it or not, you rely upon in some regard to, at bare minimum, honor the most basic of human rules and laws. Part of that is expecting a little bit of decency from others and extent the same courtesy that others extend to them.  So when you see stories like this, as predictable and unimportant as it might be, it's the kind of thing that just keeps you from having faith in humanity.  Of course we can ignore it.  But just because you ignore the troll doesn't mean it goes away. 

Not that I expect better, but it still doesn't keep me from being all wth about it.  No matter how many times it happens and how stupid and indefensible the public reaction might be, I'm reminded of how pathetic human beings can be.  And no one can really get used to that (or shouldn't have to, for that matter). 

yep

some people are just awful on the internet

If they are like that in real lift..........I doubt they have friends.........which is not helping their social skills

I miss the way colts fans were when we never won

we were resilient and ever hopeful

no more

yep

If they are like that in real lift..........I doubt they have friends.........which is not helping their social skills

no more

I was only a kid, but I do remember it.  They're still a generally nice fanbase.  Unfortunately, every fanbase has its *s.

yep

no more

So true

I read down and realized you confused Decker with Welker so I won't comment on that part. But in terms of my bewilderment. It has more to with my PR background than my football rooting interests. It does not take much to understand the frustration level for Jets fans. They have suffered as a franchise through some rare cases of buffoonery for pretty much their entire history save for 1969 and Broadway Joe. Think about this for a minute. You are Decker. You have come to NY on a huge contract that was earned in large part due to your two years playing with Manning in a historic offense. You are the default number one receiver and number one guy on offense in NY. Geno Smith is your QB and has stunk up the joint and you have also been injured and unavailable to play which has not helped your case that you can be soft. The state of the team might be the worst in all of football because the GM and coach don't like each other and really the HC should have been fired last year. You reached big time on taking Geno in the second round because you originally thought Mark Sanchez was the guy and then Tim Tebow. Not you have to admit that Geno is a bust as you start Vick for the first time this season on the road vs KC.

Now, do you think this is good time to tweet to the fans ask them why they LOVE the Jets?

Public outrage, or more appropriately described...fake outrage, often has very little to do with the issue at hand. The event is usually just an excuse to vent about something that bothers a person more deeply.

People can focus on Mrs Decker's tweet now...but the truth is...she was responding to many people who expressed hatred over Mr Decker's original tweet.

So the question is...why did THEY express hatred towards Mr. Decker after he tweeted.

I doubt that it has much to do with what Mr. Decker originally tweeted, but has to do more with whatever hatred they harbor or view of the world they have in the first place, for which Mr. Decker's tweet provided a convenient excuse to vent rage.

Public outrage, or more appropriately described...fake outrage, often has very little to do with the issue at hand. The event is usually just an excuse to vent about something that bothers a person more deeply.

People can focus on Mrs Decker's tweet now...but the truth is...she was responding to many people who expressed hatred over Mr Decker's original tweet.

So the question is...why did THEY express hatred towards Mr. Decker after he tweeted.

I doubt that it has much to do with what Mr. Decker originally tweeted, but has to do more with whatever hatred they harbor or view of the world they have in the first place, for which Mr. Decker's tweet provided a convenient excuse to vent rage.

It is simple. Jets fans don't have one reason they love the Jets right now. Would you?

Man, I can't believe I am defending Jets fans. :yuk:

I read down and realized you confused Decker with Welker so I won't comment on that part. But in terms of my bewilderment. It has more to with my PR background than my football rooting interests. It does not take much to understand the frustration level for Jets fans. They have suffered as a franchise through some rare cases of buffoonery for pretty much their entire history save for 1969 and Broadway Joe. Think about this for a minute. You are Decker. You have come to NY on a huge contract that was earned in large part due to your two years playing with Manning in a historic offense. You are the default number one receiver and number one guy on offense in NY. Geno Smith is your QB and has stunk up the joint and you have also been injured and unavailable to play which has not helped your case that you can be soft. The state of the team might be the worst in all of football because the GM and coach don't like each other and really the HC should have been fired last year. You reached big time on taking Geno in the second round because you originally thought Mark Sanchez was the guy and then Tim Tebow. Not you have to admit that Geno is a bust as you start Vick for the first time this season on the road vs KC.

Now, do you think this is good time to tweet to the fans ask them why they LOVE the Jets?

That is a fair assessment. I still don't believe Decker had any disrespect in his tweet. All he was doing is trying to reach out to the Jet fans. No doubt everything you said is true as far as the front office and coaching is concerned. Timing may have been wrong but to call him dumb is a little extreme IMO.

It is simple. Jets fans don't have one reason they love the Jets right now. Would you?

Man, I can't believe I am defending Jets fans. :yuk:

I suppose its possible. IMO, I think the media pointing out the history of jets fans, and the teams lack of success, is a backhanded way of circling the wagons...protecting a bunch of twitter twits who have exposed themselves as being close minded bitter people. Trying to promote the idea that the team's lack of success as the reason they hate Decker. Now its his wife that has done something stupid. The haters are just never the ones at fault.

That is a fair assessment. I still don't believe Decker had any disrespect in his tweet. All he was doing is trying to reach out to the Jet fans. No doubt everything you said is true as far as the front office and coaching is concerned. Timing may have been wrong but to call him dumb is a little extreme IMO.

Yes. Dumb may be a bit harsh. But honestly if I was a pro athlete, I would not have a twitter account. It is by far the worst social media app for vile communications. I know Decker's intent was good and it is a shame for him. Perhaps he will have learned to just stay away.

it's never good when an athlete's wife defends her husband through any form of media

darren sproles wife made an *** of herself & her husband when he was traded from the saints

giselle looked foolish defending tom after they lost the superbowl

this stuff never works out well. it's sort of like arguing with trolls on a message board

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 2, 2014 - skirting the filter
Hidden by Nadine, November 2, 2014 - skirting the filter

This is really a non-story, but one that got a reaction out of me nonetheless.  I just don't understand how people can criticize, derogate, or call a tweet a publicity stunt such as this harmless one.  The guy simply just tries to interact with Jets fans and it blows up in his face.  It's like when a player, team, or the league (or anyone for that matter) donates something to a charity - and perhaps my disdain for people's reaction to this tweet stems from people criticizing donations.  But it really grinds my gears when someone donates something and people get upset because they have so much money that they could have donated more (as if to donate nothing at all would have been best), or they donated money to feed their ego, or for the tax benfit.  Unbelievable to me.  Some people just suck.

The fact that NY fans demand performance, and rightfully castigate a player for wanting to go-all-midwest on them, should not surprise any NFL fan.  Decker came off as a jacka** who thinks he's in the midwest.  Life on the east coast is too tough buddy?  Then you shoulda stayed in Denver!

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 2, 2014 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, November 2, 2014 - quoting removed post

His wife's tweet makes her to be an arrogant pompous b**ch. We have lots of money, life is good here, sorry for your average lives haters.

Yeah their reaction was poor, but I think she made it worse.

Yes. Dumb may be a bit harsh. But honestly if I was a pro athlete, I would not have a twitter account. It is by far the worst social media app for vile communications. I know Decker's intent was good and it is a shame for him. Perhaps he will have learned to just stay away.

I thought what Decker did was alright but I agree with you here about the twitter account.  It's just asking people to send you angry messages about your play or something like that. 

Shoot even if you are a great player you are gonna have your share of haters who are gonna send you terrible messages. 

I'm actually surprised how many pro-athletes do have twitter accounts. 

The fact that NY fans demand performance, and rightfully castigate a player for wanting to go-all-midwest on them, should not surprise any NFL fan. Decker came off as a jacka** who thinks he's in the midwest. Life on the east coast is too tough buddy? Then you shoulda stayed in Denver!

this is a joke right?

The fact that NY fans demand performance, and rightfully castigate a player for wanting to go-all-midwest on them, should not surprise any NFL fan.  Decker came off as a jacka** who thinks he's in the midwest.  Life on the east coast is too tough buddy?  Then you shoulda stayed in Denver!

....the hell you talkin' about? 

So you're saying, people in NY suck and Eric should've known they suck, so Eric sucks for not realizing that New Yorkers suck? 

You post sucked. 

How come players never consider the team they'd be leaving from and to and free agency?

"Hm, I've really blossomed out in Denver thanks to Peyton throwing to me. Made it to the playoffs twice and even to a Super Bowl. I can go places out in Denver. But you know, I'm going to take more money from a team whose QB gets benched week in and week out, may only win a couple of games this year, and the entire season with them will likely be a long, miserable one! Yeah! That'll show those Broncos to not pay me top dollar. Either that or I want to start going through a process of torturing myself every week. Geno Smith throwing to me couldn't possibly be any different than Peyton, right?"

How come players never consider the team they'd be leaving from and to and free agency?

"Hm, I've really blossomed out in Denver thanks to Peyton throwing to me. Made it to the playoffs twice and even to a Super Bowl. I can go places out in Denver. But you know, I'm going to take more money from a team whose QB gets benched week in and week out, may only win a couple of games this year, and the entire season with them will likely be a long, miserable one! Yeah! That'll show those Broncos to not pay me top dollar. Either that or I want to start going through a process of torturing myself every week. Geno Smith throwing to me couldn't possibly be any different than Peyton, right?"

You answered your own question. They want to get paid. Hard to blame the guy. That was his first pay day

this is a joke right?

He may be joking, but a lot of people in NY..Philly, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh, think that way. Its the kind of thing I was alluding to in my two posts. Decker's tweet never had a chance. A lot of people in NY hated him before he even played his first game.

Frankly, I think Mrs. Decker seems like an intelligent, perceptive person....who understands that there is no point being nice to those kinds of people, because they will always hate her husband for who he is anyway.