Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

snap numbers for wide receivers yesterday

Stephen

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what the love affair is with Whalen.  He got late snaps when the DBs were giving away the short gains.  There is a reason he doesn't get early snaps, he can't get separation in tight coverage.

Clearly Moncrief needs more snaps in this offense.  He can stretch defense vertically and horizontally in ways that neither Nicks nor Wayne can.  

Not sure what the love affair is with Whalen.  He got late snaps when the DBs were giving away the short gains.  There is a reason he doesn't get early snaps, he can't get separation in tight coverage.

Clearly Moncrief needs more snaps in this offense.  He can stretch defense vertically and horizontally in ways that neither Nicks nor Wayne can.  

The love affair with Whalen is simple. His hands. His hands are great, and he catches nearly everything, even in tough traffic.

Whalen does not have the natural athletic ability that Nicks has, but he runs routes much better than Nicks, and he shows up on every play. You won't see Whalen giving the old alligator arm as we see with Nicks. We haven't seen Whalen off-time making a move on a comeback route. 

And to be honest, Whalen is getting more separation than Nicks is. 

He did a good job as well in last years playoffs. I have no problem with Ty, Moncrief, and Whalen as our 3 future wide outs. I just don't like him as our return man.

you kidding right what has nicks done. 18 rec for 168 yards and 2 tds in 8 games. Runs wrong routes has yet to have a 100 yard receiving game. Even whalen has gotten more separation than him while playing not just this year but last year during playoffs and at end of reg season

DHB 11 games started 29 rec 309 yards 1 td

Nicks 8 games started 18 rec 168 yards 2 tds

Moncrief 16 rec 216 yards 1 td

How do you not play moncrief more after look at these stats and he's started in no games but has more yards and nearly more rec than the two above people. If had been starting the whole year he'd probably have over 1000 yards and 8 tds and would be rookie of year

The love affair with Whalen is simple. His hands. His hands are great, and he catches nearly everything, even in tough traffic.

Whalen does not have the natural athletic ability that Nicks has, but he runs routes much better than Nicks, and he shows up on every play. You won't see Whalen giving the old alligator arm as we see with Nicks. We haven't seen Whalen off-time making a move on a comeback route. 

And to be honest, Whalen is getting more separation than Nicks is. 

Whalen and Nicks are the same type of receiver. Nicks is the better receiver but that style of receiver is completely reliant upon chemistry, of which, Whalen and Luck have oodles and Nicks and Luck have none. Nicks is the type of receiver that won't create much natural separation but excels at making tough catches in traffic. Luck tries to improvise and Nicks isn't used to that, I think Luck needs to trust Nicks to run his route, no more and no less for right now. Whalen has had ample time to figure out what Luck wants and Nicks hasn't.

Nicks needs to wake himself from the dead....that many snaps...1 catch?

He is not running the correct routes....he is not running through his routes allowing the defense a chance to have his cover go make the tackle.  He is not getting off of the line of scrimmage....He seems to not care about anything.

He is not running the correct routes....he is not running through his routes allowing the defense a chance to have his cover go make the tackle.  He is not getting off of the line of scrimmage....He seems to not care about anything.

I cannot say he does not care, because I do not know him, but I will certainly agree with everything else you said.

It is time to pull Nicks and insert more Moncrief.

We might as well play Hilton, Moncrief, and Whalen, because that is our future. We can sprinkle in some Reggie when he is ready. 

As much as Colts fans may not like this statement; Wide Receiver is not out of the picture in the first 3 rounds of 2015.

I cannot say he does not care, because I do not know him, but I will certainly agree with everything else you said.

It is time to pull Nicks and insert more Moncrief.

We might as well play Hilton, Moncrief, and Whalen, because that is our future. We can sprinkle in some Reggie when he is ready. 

As much as Colts fans may not like this statement; Wide Receiver is not out of the picture in the first 3 rounds of 2015.

I don't know him either obviously...he is always jaw-jacking with the defender...play football Hakeem!

I do like Reggie, Moncrief and TY....and the hands of Whalen although he is not the answer.  

Hakeem needs to play like he did in the preseason....get some confidence.  It would not hurt to learn the playbook too :)

Whalen and Nicks are the same type of receiver. Nicks is the better receiver but that style of receiver is completely reliant upon chemistry, of which, Whalen and Luck have oodles and Nicks and Luck have none. Nicks is the type of receiver that won't create much natural separation but excels at making tough catches in traffic. Luck tries to improvise and Nicks isn't used to that, I think Luck needs to trust Nicks to run his route, no more and no less for right now. Whalen has had ample time to figure out what Luck wants and Nicks hasn't.

you kidding me. Nicks needs to learn to run the correct routes like moncrief

Whalen basically made catches in garbage time. Moncrief needs more snaps. Nicks and Moncrief need to switch playing time. 

He is not running the correct routes....he is not running through his routes allowing the defense a chance to have his cover go make the tackle. He is not getting off of the line of scrimmage....He seems to not care about anything.

There are players that want to be great. And some who want a great paycheck.. nicks doesnt seem to play hard.. but in his defense i see lots of uncatchable balls his way.. and for people saying he runs the wrong routes.. how the hell you know?. Are you a master of the colts playbook?

In my opinion, we should increase the playing time for Moncrief and Whalen. 

I would like to see Hilton, Moncrief, and Whalen as our 3 wide sets for the next few weeks.

I said the same thing in a tread last night let Moncrief and Hilton open open the field and let Whalen run quick hitters to help keep Luck upright .

I said the same thing in a tread last night let Moncrief and Hilton open open the field and let Whalen run quick hitters to help keep Luck upright .

I agree. We can split time between Reggie and Whalen. 

I also still believe we have a problem with protection out of 11 personnel. We haven't had to use 3 wides as much because we have enjoyed the having the lead.

I believe Nicks was in at those times too but wasn't pulling down balls.

And I think people love Whalen because he's the underdog who tries hard and has made some plays in the past.  People love an underdog.

There are players that want to be great. And some who want a great paycheck.. nicks doesnt seem to play hard.. but in his defense i see lots of uncatchable balls his way.. and for people saying he runs the wrong routes.. how the hell you know?. Are you a master of the colts playbook?

He hasn't missed anyone else even a fraction of the times he has missed Nicks this year. That tells me it's probably more on Nicks.

I think that the Steelers had Nicks scouted better than Moncrief and thats why he had a bad game to a certain extent. Nicks has done some great things in the past and he garnered more attention. Moncrief had better opportunities and, to his credit, took advantage of them. Remember last year when Rogers put up the great numbers against the Bengals, the next game, the opposition scouted him and took him out of the game for the most part. So, lets see how Moncrief does once hes viewed as a legitimate threat and scouted better.

Additionally, if Nicks cant reach the balls that are thrown his way, why does he get the blame for it? Maybe Andrew saw the tighter coverage on him and made some uncatchable throws. The pick six was late to Nicks and very slow to develop. Just what occurs on normal pick sixs' in the NFL. As much as everyone seems to love Whalen, if he was the answer, NIcks wouldnt even be on the squad.

He did a good job as well in last years playoffs. I have no problem with Ty, Moncrief, and Whalen as our 3 future wide outs. I just don't like him as our return man.

I'm with you. I like Whalen as a #4 or #5 WR (though I'm unsure about him as our future #3) but I don't like him as our return man.

He hasn't missed anyone else even a fraction of the times he has missed Nicks this year. That tells me it's probably more on Nicks.

What kind of logic is that? If the quarterback misses getting the ball to the receiver, its the receivers fault? If the receiver isn't where hes supposed to be, he wont be on the team long. Maybe the chemistry isn't there. That's a leader like Lucks responsibility to demand that Nicks gets to practice with him more to get the chemistry better. Thats what great quarterbacks like Peyton Manning does. There needs to be more balance on the blame game than to make Nicks the scapegoat all the time.

I think that the Steelers had Nicks scouted better than Moncrief and thats why he had a great game to a certain extent. Nicks has done some great things in the past and he garnered more attention. Additionally, if Nicks cant reach the balls that are thrown his way, why does he get the blame for it? Maybe Andrew saw the tighter coverage on him and made some uncatchable throws. The pick six was late to Nicks and very slow to develop. Just what occurs on normal pick sixs' in the NFL. As much as everyone seems to love Whalen, if he was the answer, NIcks wouldnt even be on the squad.

I think the team is still pretty clearly trying to find there identity beyond Luck to Wayne even though Hilton has been huge for us this year so far, They know what they want to be but knowing that and knowing what they are is 2 different things or knowing how to be that.

I think that the Steelers had Nicks scouted better than Moncrief and thats why he had a bad game to a certain extent. Nicks has done some great things in the past and he garnered more attention. Moncrief had better opportunities and, to his credit, took advantage of them. Remember last year when Rogers put up the great numbers against the Bengals, the next game, the opposition scouted him and took him out of the game for the most part. So, lets see how Moncrief does once hes viewed as a legitimate threat and scouted better.

Additionally, if Nicks cant reach the balls that are thrown his way, why does he get the blame for it? Maybe Andrew saw the tighter coverage on him and made some uncatchable throws. The pick six was late to Nicks and very slow to develop. Just what occurs on normal pick sixs' in the NFL. As much as everyone seems to love Whalen, if he was the answer, NIcks wouldnt even be on the squad.

We got Nicks because he said "I would like to play with Luck or Newton" before he wasn't in the hook of Grigson(he was but i think he wasn't his first choice) i think that statement made Grigson bring him here, we were happy about that but the truth was that he was playing poorly and lazy, he has a good set of tools that's all. We should give Whalen playtime he isn't exceptional but he can catch and move the chains some throws to Nicks were high but he could reach them i mean if you don't jump or just don't try to catch it's your fault i think Luck has overthrow many passes to Wayne, but he gets those because he try to catch every ball no just the ones to his hands.

We got Nicks because he said "I would like to play with Luck or Newton" before he wasn't in the hook of Grigson(he was but i think he wasn't his first choice) i think that statement made Grigson bring him here, we were happy about that but the truth was that he was playing poorly and lazy, he has a good set of tools that's all. We should give Whalen playtime he isn't exceptional but he can catch and move the chains some throws to Nicks were high but he could reach them i mean if you don't jump or just don't try to catch it's your fault i think Luck has overthrow many passes to Wayne, but he gets those because he try to catch every ball no just the ones to his hands.

Yeah, but did you see Steeler receivers having to jump and expose themselves for passes? Look, Andrew was under duress yesterday. He had some poor throws. But, you cant always blame the receivers when its the quarterbacks responsibility to get them the ball where they need to have it. Saying that Nicks was the whole problem only half covers it.

What kind of logic is that? If the quarterback misses getting the ball to the receiver, its the receivers fault? If the receiver isn't where hes supposed to be, he wont be on the team long. Maybe the chemistry isn't there. That's a leader like Lucks responsibility to demand that Nicks gets to practice with him more to get the chemistry better. Thats what great quarterbacks like Peyton Manning does. There needs to be more balance on the blame game than to make Nicks the scapegoat all the time.

Logic in the sense that he doesn't miss anyone even close to as much as he misses Nicks. Even the rookie Moncrief is on the same page with Luck and he's been here less time than Nicks.

We really don't know what has transpired between Nicks and Luck off the field in trying to get better chemistry so that's a moot point.

you kidding me. Nicks needs to learn to run the correct routes like moncrief

Nicks was drafted in 2009 so he's a veteran so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Nicks is running the routes that are called. If he was underperforming as massively as you seem to think then he wouldn't be starting. I guarantee Moncrief has a ton to learn from Nicks and not the other way around. Luck needs to trust Nicks in tight coverage. Nicks isn't going to improvise a route like Wayne. Nicks isn't going to get uncovered from a DB like Moncrief (due to the fact I guarantee Nicks is game-planned against more than Moncrief) or Hilton (great speed). Nicks will have a defender on him and Luck needs to throw it and give Nicks a chance to make a play on the ball. Almost every time Luck throws Nicks way, its either some terrible pass that's uncatchable or he expects him to improvise and that's not Nicks' strength. Luck and Hamilton need to put Nicks in a position to succeed and thus far they haven't.

Bring back Da'Rick!!

Only kidding (kind of) -- I think we'll be just fine when Reggie comes back -- Luck was getting pressured hard all day and still managed to throw for 400 yards.  His completion percentage wasn't great which is in part due to the pressure he was getting, in part due to some miscommunication and timing issues, in part due to the Steelers playing tough coverage, and I think in part due to some poor play calling (why not dink and dunk and check down when they are blitzing like that?).

That is Luck's first time playing with that group of WR's to that extent -- we all know Reggie is Luck's sort of 'go-to' guy when he's getting crushed like that -- Moncrief showed he can be a vertical threat, Whalen played well at the end of the game, and even though TY put up big numbers, I think they were able to take him away a little bit.  Nicks needs to hone his routes and communication with Andrew, and I'd like to see him be used more in the middle of the field, as I think Moncrief has more speed for the edge.  I still think Nicks can be a decent possession WR.  I would've liked to have seen more receptions from our TE's (I think Allen and Fleener combined for 2 catches and 25 yards?), but I'd have to go back to the tape to see how the Steelers were matching up against them -- seems like we should have been able to exploit some short 3-6 yard passes to those guys.

Not our best game, but no reason to hit panic yet -- we've still got control of the division and fate is in our hands.  To me, Andrew getting hit like that is more concerning than any of the WR play -- so if we can fix some line problems, I think we'll be just fine moving on.

Whalen and Nicks are the same type of receiver. Nicks is the better receiver but that style of receiver is completely reliant upon chemistry, of which, Whalen and Luck have oodles and Nicks and Luck have none. Nicks is the type of receiver that won't create much natural separation but excels at making tough catches in traffic. Luck tries to improvise and Nicks isn't used to that, I think Luck needs to trust Nicks to run his route, no more and no less for right now. Whalen has had ample time to figure out what Luck wants and Nicks hasn't.

Lol your joking right? Whalen is more like what Wayne is now. Slower but quick and sharp cuts and great hands. Nicks is more of deep jump ball type player and he hasnt proved that with us at all

Nicks seems like Rogers, who was only good at running straight along the sidelines. 

If we are going to continue to use him, then only send him on deep straight/post routes or jump balls in the endzone. 

That said.......Moncreif should be seeing waaaaaay more snaps. 

I would rather have Rogers since he young and can potentially develop more. A veteran receiver that have been to the superbowl can't even get separation is a no no. 

Logic in the sense that he doesn't miss anyone even close to as much as he misses Nicks. Even the rookie Moncrief is on the same page with Luck and he's been here less time than Nicks.

We really don't know what has transpired between Nicks and Luck off the field in trying to get better chemistry so that's a moot point.

The comment I made about Luck demanding that Nicks gets to practice with him more has to do with how they deal with the future, going forward. That kind of leadership will reap great dividends.  If Nicks comes around as a viable third wide receiver, (Moncrief being number two if Reggie cant go), the upside can be huge. When Peyton had Marvin, Reggie AND Brandon Stokely stretching defenses back in the day, our offense was about the most dangerous at the time. Imagine if we got more production from the Nicks/Luck tandem and still getting what we're getting now from the number one offense in the league. As I said before, if Whalen was the answer, Nicks wouldnt even be on the squad. 

The comment I made about Luck demanding that Nicks gets to practice with him more has to do with how they deal with the future, going forward. That kind of leadership will reap great dividends. If Nicks comes around as a viable third wide receiver, (Moncrief being number two if Reggie cant go), the upside can be huge. When Peyton had Marvin, Reggie AND Brandon Stokely stretching defenses back in the day, our offense was about the most dangerous at the time. Imagine if we got more production from the Nicks/Luck tandem and still getting what we're getting now from the number one offense in the league. As I said before, if Whalen was the answer, Nicks wouldnt even be on the squad.

I've never said Whalen is the answer but I also don't think that it's necessarily true that Nicks wouldn't be here, regardless, since Whalen is still young and progressing. Everything else I can agree with. I'd love to see Nicks perform but I'm losing more confidence every week when he continues to be invisible. I was ecstatic when we signed him. I'm extremely surprised and disappointed at how poorly it's gone for him here thus far.