Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oline, Secondary, and Pass Rushers NEEDS in the draft.

I dont know if it was play calling due to how quick we fell behind. But we should've use half back screens and draws to slow the pass rush.

Or was it our Oline just horrible? Maybe a combination of both? Who's a take in the 1st as far as Oline goes (value wise/best player available?).

We definitely need another CB on the outside. Vontae's injury killed the whole scheme which say's a lot. Who's a take at CB in the 1st (value wise/best player available?).

To help out the secondary we need a pass rush. Something that was evidently missing in today's game. Dick brought the blitz all night long. Manusky needs to take a page out his book. Stop being pretty with the disguise of the blitz. And just bring it like they did. Who's a take in the front 7 (value wise/best player available?).

The rest of the way will be interesting. *Sips Tea*

I dont know if it was play calling due to how quick we fell behind. But we should've used half back screens and draws to slow the pass rush. I was hoping to see this early in the game when Pitt decided they was going to blitz all day long.

Or was it our Oline just horrible? Maybe a combination of both? Who's a take in the 1st as far as Oline goes (value wise/best player available?).

We definitely need another CB on the outside. Vontae's injury killed the whole scheme which say's a lot. Who's a take at CB in the 1st (value wise/best player available?).

To help out the secondary we need a pass rush. Something that was evidently missing in today's game. Dick brought the blitz all night long. Manusky needs to take a page out his book. Stop being pretty with the disguise of the blitz. And just bring it like they did. Who's a take in the front 7 (value wise/best player available?).

The rest of the way will be interesting. *Sips Tea*

We need pass rusher, and o-line, secondary is fine. 

That isn't even close to true.  The secondary got torched all game.  That is what happens when Davis goes down.

I agree with the latter. We need someone on the outside. We've got good Nickel corners in Butler and Gordy. But we need someone solid on the outside. It also didn't help the secondary that the pass str8 disappeared this game. Even with the blitz we could get no pass rush. We try too hard to disguise the blitz. When you play a team like Pitt, Ariz, St Louis etc. Who like to get rid of the ball quick you have to disrupt the passing lanes, pressure the qb, and re route wr's. We did none of that tonight.

So I'd go with either a pass rusher or db depending on who's available.

Vontae is really the glue that holds that secondary together. Without him, the only person that looked half way decent was Toler. I think safety and CB HAVE to be a priority at this point. Not just in terms of starters, but also for depth. Even though he sorta killed his own teammate, Bucannon had an outstanding game for the Cardinals today and even when he left, the secondary held. A tough safety can really set the tone for the secondary. I think that's what we need after seeing the game today. CB moreso for depth, but the safety position needs to be upgraded.

IDK what was up with the pass rush today. They got shut down today.

Just throwing out a name: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000407673/article/report-missouri-de-shane-ray-shoots-up-draft-boards

He's moving up draft boards, so he might be out of our range, but there are questions about his size. If he drops to the end of the first, he'd be a great pick. 

And of course, I still love Denzel Perryman at ILB. Would be a good second or third round pick.

Just throwing out a name: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000407673/article/report-missouri-de-shane-ray-shoots-up-draft-boards

He's moving up draft boards, so he might be out of our range, but there are questions about his size. If he drops to the end of the first, he'd be a great pick. 

And of course, I still love Denzel Perryman at ILB. Would be a good second or third round pick.

When I watch Ray I see a guy who has 1st round acceleration off the ball and 3rd or 4th round strength  and size, I think he can fit as a rotational pass rusher but even for that I think he will need to sit a year to gain strength, He does however have experience dropping back in a zone from his hand in the dirt

When I watch Ray I see a guy who has 1st round acceleration off the ball and 3rd or 4th round strength  and size, I think he can fit as a rotational pass rusher but even for that I think he will need to sit a year to gain strength, He does however have experience dropping back in a zone from his hand in the dirt

When you put him at Rush backer, behind Mathis, his lack of strength is okay. I think his size is fine. He's the same size as Mathis and Newsome. And Newsome lacks strength, but that doesn't prevent him from rushing the passer, and he's done a decent job setting the edge on the strongside. 

Perryman is being projected as a 1st round pick. I hope for our sake that means late 1st. I think the second round is where we get our safety. Given the fact that Grigson has said Pagano likes the safeties interchangeable (not true free, and no true strong) I think a guy like Anthony Harris or Cody Prewitt is a guy he'd look at.

Perryman is being projected as a 1st round pick. I hope for our sake that means late 1st. I think the second round is where we get our safety. Given the fact that Grigson has said Pagano likes the safeties interchangeable (not true free, and no true strong) I think a guy like Anthony Harris or Cody Prewitt is a guy he'd look at.

I'm always cautious whenever I see an inside linebacker or a guard projected as a first round pick.

Many years,  not one goes in the first round.

And in the years where one does -- it typically is ONLY one.     Most go in R's 2/3/4 and so on.......

And since it's still well early in the process,  my skepticism meter continues to run high....

Just sayin.....

I'm always cautious whenever I see an inside linebacker or a guard projected as a first round pick.

Many years,  not one goes in the first round.

And in the years where one does -- it typically is ONLY one.     Most go in R's 2/3/4 and so on.......

And since it's still well early in the process,  my skepticism meter continues to run high....

Just sayin.....

Perryman could be that one. He was being talked about last year as a 2nd-3rd round pick before he decided to stay. But not to mention bottom of the first round is basically equivalent to a early second round pick anyways. But players can get drafted a lot higher than expected depending on team needs and grades.

I've seen him anywhere between 20 and 60. With the new rookie contracts, the cost matrix is continually changing. We'll have to see what this draft class looks like at the very top with QBs and other typical top ten kind of guys before we really have an idea. It's still October. But it's very possible that Perryman is the first ILB off the board.

As for safeties, I just want a rangy guy who can cover. 

Unfortunately, I feel like we have the same defensive needs as we did going into last year's draft. I like Mewhort and Moncrief, but we need to add some young defensive playmakers, particularly up the middle of the field. 

Perryman could be that one. He was being talked about last year as a 2nd-3rd round pick before he decided to stay. But not to mention bottom of the first round is basically equivalent to a early second round pick anyways. But players can get drafted a lot higher than expected depending on team needs and grades.

I've done a little looking at him in the last few hours....

He's barely over 5'11",   so his height will likely work against him making the first round.    He's got the weight,  nearly 250, so he's big enough.     But Chris Borland was roughly this size and he eventually went in the third round.

Not predicting that yet for Perryman,  just offering a note of caution.

1. Pass Rush for obvious reasons! At some point we need someone to replace Mathis long term

2. Safety because we don't have much talent or depth at this position. We need a young talented guy who can contribute for years. Adams is decent but nothing more than serviceable, Landry is a waste of money and Brown is a good special teamer but just an average Safety. Upgrade needed

3. Cornerback because we saw what happens if our Nr. 1 Corner is out

4. Offensive Tackle because Cherilus has a bad year and cost's a lot of money.

5. Wide Receiver because Reggie is getting old and our one year proof it WR didn't work out. We are fine with Hilton and Moncrief but need an option in case Wayne retires

I've done a little looking at him in the last few hours....

He's barely over 5'11",   so his height will likely work against him making the first round.    He's got the weight,  nearly 250, so he's big enough.     But Chris Borland was roughly this size and he eventually went in the third round.

Not predicting that yet for Perryman,  just offering a note of caution.

Yeah but he's also a lot more athletic than Borland was. We'll have to see at the combine, but word is he runs a 4.5(probably more like a 4.6 when you talk game speed) and has like a 36 inch vertical. If so, that's insane for an ILB. We'll see though. I have to start looking at Benardrick McKinney now.

When you put him at Rush backer, behind Mathis, his lack of strength is okay. I think his size is fine. He's the same size as Mathis and Newsome. And Newsome lacks strength, but that doesn't prevent him from rushing the passer, and he's done a decent job setting the edge on the strongside. 

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/hauoli-kikaha-vs-hawaii-2014/

This is the dude I have my eye on at the bottom of the 2nd or trade down into the top of the 2nd

Anthony Harris for UVA is a good player. Ball hawk in the back end. Been watching him for a while since he plays my hurricanes every year.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/hauoli-kikaha-vs-hawaii-2014/

This is the dude I have my eye on at the bottom of the 2nd or trade down into the top of the 2nd

?

He seems slow and weak, based on that one tape. Mostly disciplined, but no closing speed, no speed to power, not great change of direction... I'll pass. I don't know why he'd even be drafted, based off of that tape. Let me know if there's a different tape that makes him look better.

?

He seems slow and weak, based on that one tape. Mostly disciplined, but no closing speed, no speed to power, not great change of direction... I'll pass. I don't know why he'd even be drafted, based off of that tape. Let me know if there's a different tape that makes him look better.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/hauoli-kikaha/

8 different game films on him, Granted he does not have Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis or Jerry Hughes acceleration but I think he has at least Bjoern Werner type acceleration and is at least as strong as Werner, I think a more natural fit coming out actually then Werner, What I think he will need the most work in is play recognition and strength but almost all rush linebackers need to work on those categories coming out, 

I actually am leaning towards him in terms of liking him more then Vic Beasley do to the size concerns of Beasley and strength issues

I do think we could land B. Orakpo ( he's coming from another pectoral torn i think, so he would be cheap 1 year deal), then we can draft.

1.- CB/S/OLB/DE best available

2.- CB/S/OLB/DE depends on 1st.

3.- RT? i think Xavier Nixon was doing well, and Jack M. can play RT so OL would be nice but i do think we draft OLB or DL(raw but promising talent) or if TY Montgomery fall then we get him

4.- RB there should be a couple of good RB and Bradshaw is a beast but he isn't getting younger and after this season he is gonna ask 3yrd 12m or something.

5.- QB Matt H. could retire after this season(i don't think so) so we need a backup QB

6/7.- well these picks are longshots so nobody can predict these.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/hauoli-kikaha/

8 different game films on him, Granted he does not have Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis or Jerry Hughes acceleration but I think he has at least Bjoern Werner type acceleration and is at least as strong as Werner, I think a more natural fit coming out actually then Werner, What I think he will need the most work in is play recognition and strength but almost all rush linebackers need to work on those categories coming out, 

I actually am leaning towards him in terms of liking him more then Vic Beasley do to the size concerns of Beasley and strength issues

When you uncover a good tape, let me know. I didn't see any pass rush moves, very little ability to shed blocks, no acceleration... I don't know if you ever watched any Werner tape from FSU, but he played a lot faster and stronger than Kikaha, at least on this tape (and this is against Hawaii, so...)

Cornerback - Marcus Peters Washington: He is perhaps the best corner in the draft although concern over his attitude. I read that the coach doesn't like him, and one scout feels he will be fine in the pros. He is in the Desmond Trufant mold.

Safety - Shaq Thompson Washington: He is currently playing linebacker but is the definition of playmaker. You could play this guy at running back or receiver and he would be productive. He is 6'1" and about 230 lbs. He may not be a possibility for us.

OLB - Alvin Dupree Kentucky: Good pass rusher who could add some pop at the weakside linebacker spot.

We need a solid DE to follow behind Cory Redding if we sign him for one more year. Cory would be the perfect mentor for a young rook beast. 

For DE I like:

Oakman at Baylor 6'8 275lbs

Mauldin at Louisville 6'4 243lbs

Fowler at Florida 6'2 26llbs

Armstead at Oregon 6'7 296lbs

We might be able to get quality DE's in the 2nd round also.

As much as I believe most of the moves will and should come on the defensive side of the ball this season, if we could get a difference maker on the right side of the O-line that would go a long way in making our team really have teeth in the running game. Our passing attack is obviously great, but I believe having a great running attack to compliment that may push our offense into the territory of the Greatest Show On Turf, which I believe to be the greatest offense of all time.

We need a solid DE to follow behind Cory Redding if we sign him for one more year. Cory would be the perfect mentor for a young rook beast. 

you mean like Montori Hughes, Zach Kerr and RJF? ;)  Unless someone suffers a career threatening injury, I don't think DL will be a focus in the coming draft, unless somehow a Ngata type player somehow slips to the end of the first round.  At this point I'd have to say the most likely position to be addressed in the first round is safety.  

you mean like Montori Hughes, Zach Kerr and RJF? ;)  Unless someone suffers a career threatening injury, I don't think DL will be a focus in the coming draft, unless somehow a Ngata type player somehow slips to the end of the first round.  At this point I'd have to say the most likely position to be addressed in the first round is safety.  

The development of our D-Line, without any high picks, is a really good under the radar type of story.  I always thought we'd need to invest a couple of high picks, and that doesn't look like case now - even if Redding retires.  

The development of our D-Line, without any high picks, is a really good under the radar type of story.  I always thought we'd need to invest a couple of high picks, and that doesn't look like case now - even if Redding retires.  

very much agreed.  

For DE I like:

Oakman at Baylor 6'8 275lbs

Mauldin at Louisville 6'4 243lbs

Fowler at Florida 6'2 26llbs

Armstead at Oregon 6'7 296lbs

We might be able to get quality DE's in the 2nd round also.

You forget that there is Zach Kerr, Montori Hughes, and now even Quarles. All of those guys are pretty young. I'd take one of those guys if they slipped to the 3rd or 4th round though.

I do think we could land B. Orakpo ( he's coming from another pectoral torn i think, so he would be cheap 1 year deal), then we can draft.

1.- CB/S/OLB/DE best available

2.- CB/S/OLB/DE depends on 1st.

3.- RT? i think Xavier Nixon was doing well, and Jack M. can play RT so OL would be nice but i do think we draft OLB or DL(raw but promising talent) or if TY Montgomery fall then we get him

4.- RB there should be a couple of good RB and Bradshaw is a beast but he isn't getting younger and after this season he is gonna ask 3yrd 12m or something.

5.- QB Matt H. could retire after this season(i don't think so) so we need a backup QB

6/7.- well these picks are longshots so nobody can predict these.

Orakpo spends a lot of time on IR

You forget that there is Zach Kerr, Montori Hughes, and now even Quarles. All of those guys are pretty young. I'd take one of those guys if they slipped to the 3rd or 4th round though.

Quarles is a guy I am interested to see what we can do with a full year of camp. That kid can get off the ball. His aggressiveness gets him caught up in screens and draws but with some coaching I think he could be a player. The D Line looks pretty good going forward to me. Don't forget Chapman he has had some moments all young guys should just get better.

I think we need more speed at LB and some help on the back end of course. We have some young guys there as well in Purifoy and McDonald. Let's not forget what Sergio has been showing us this year.

Newsome is looking like a good find and Werner is coming along. 

I think we are in a great position to pick the best available player with every pick. We have a young team with some young talented guys on the roster already. I am really excited about what we have going forward.

I said it last year and I will say it again this year I would not be surprised to see our first pick be an offensive lineman. Cherilus has not looked good lately and Thorton missing a meeting and a game with alcohol rumored as part of the problem doesn't sit well.  I think contract wise we would eat a lot of money if we didn't keep Cherilus around another year but I am not sure on that. Ulrich John didn't look bad in the preseason but we need to keep getting stronger on the O Line. RT is next I would guess.  

Quarles is a guy I am interested to see what we can do with a full year of camp. That kid can get off the ball. His aggressiveness gets him caught up in screens and draws but with some coaching I think he could be a player. The D Line looks pretty good going forward to me. Don't forget Chapman he has had some moments all young guys should just get better.

I think we need more speed at LB and some help on the back end of course. We have some young guys there as well in Purifoy and McDonald. Let's not forget what Sergio has been showing us this year.

Newsome is looking like a good find and Werner is coming along. 

I think we are in a great position to pick the best available player with every pick. We have a young team with some young talented guys on the roster already. I am really excited about what we have going forward.

I said it last year and I will say it again this year I would not be surprised to see our first pick be an offensive lineman. Cherilus has not looked good lately and Thorton missing a meeting and a game with alcohol rumored as part of the problem doesn't sit well.  I think contract wise we would eat a lot of money if we didn't keep Cherilus around another year but I am not sure on that. Ulrich John didn't look bad in the preseason but we need to keep getting stronger on the O Line. RT is next I would guess.  

How good are the OL prospects after Scherff though? He is the one O-lineman who I think is a guaranteed 1st rounder, and probably the best player in the draft, regardless of position.

How good are the OL prospects after Scherff though? He is the one O-lineman who I think is a guaranteed 1st rounder, and probably the best player in the draft, regardless of position.

I feel like Stanford is our farm team but I like that kid Andrus Peat from Stanford.  The kid with the  best shot at being around is probably La'el Collins from LSU. Sambrailo will probably go late in the first too.

Who knows maybe Ogbuehi falls it would be a long fall. He is probably the first O Lineman to go or even Scherff could slip. We are in the first round this year and with Grig's who knows what he will do.

Who knows what direction we will go in. I think we are sitting in a great position where we really can take the best available player. I would not rule out anything but QB TE RB WR in the first round.  Even then if someone falls you gotta make a move.

I feel like Stanford is our farm team but I like that kid Andrus Peat from Stanford.  The kid with the  best shot at being around is probably La'el Collins from LSU. Sambrailo will probably go late in the first too.

Who knows maybe Ogbuehi falls it would be a long fall. He is probably the first O Lineman to go or even Scherff could slip. We are in the first round this year and with Grig's who knows what he will do.

Who knows what direction we will go in. I think we are sitting in a great position where we really can take the best available player. I would not rule out anything but QB TE RB WR in the first round.  Even then if someone falls you gotta make a move.

I have a feeling it might just end up being the BA Defensive player unless one of those elite tackles are there. You can see anyone from Shilique Calhoun, to Shaq Thompson, to a guy like Denzel Perryman.