Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time to give AC some recognition

backshoulderfade

We have had a multitude of threads praising of players on stepping up their game this year. One player who hasn't been getting nearly enough praise as he deserves.

He has barely stepped a foot wrong all year and looks every bit the franchise tackle that we need to protect Luck. I know this is a contract year but he is playing his best football ever.

Long may it continue.

We have had a multitude of threads praising of players on stepping up their game this year. One player who hasn't been getting nearly enough praise as he deserves.

He has barely stepped a foot wrong all year and looks every bit the franchise tackle that we need to protect Luck. I know this is a contract year but he is playing his best football ever.

Long may it continue.

Everyone should read Ben Gundy's weekly Oline analysis on Colts Acadamy. AC is developing into a premier LT.

I think Gundy said something like, he's almost boring in his consistency.

Long may it continue.

This should also be a great lesson for draft time. When it comes to offensive lineman in the draft; listen to Brian Baldinger and not Mike Mayock. It sounds like a no-brainer, right? Especially since Baldinger played on the offensive line. However, during draft time people forget about those little important things.

Baldinger and Mayock had a huge disagreement about Anthony Castonzo before the draft. Baldinger said that whoever drafts Castonzo will solidify the LT position for the next 10-15 years. Mayock strongly disagreed; so much so that he stated Castonzo would not make it as an NFL LT at all. Who did Mayock believe would be the best LT in the 2011 NFL draft? Nate Solder.

The Patriots took Solder at #17.

The Colts took Castonzo at #22.

An extra nugget is that Tyron Smith went to the Cowboys at #11. 2011 was the perfect year for the tackles to fall, and they should not have fallen at all. All three of the top offensive tackles picked have been huge successes. James Carpenter was a surprise pick by the Seahawks at #25, and he too has played outstanding. 

Plain and simple; The top 3 tackles in the 2011 draft should have all went in the top 15. Heavy talent at many other position dropped the tackles further than any normal draft, and the Colts were extremely fortunate. We ended up with a top 10 pick using the 22nd pick in the draft. 

And he's only getting better. Most of the leagues premier pass rushers seem to be pretty quiet when they play the Colts. That's not to say he won't give up the occasional sack here and there, but he's gone from up and down, to solid, and he's still improving. By the team he reaches his 6th year, I'm sure he'll be a top 5 LT in the league.

yeah this will be the offseason we see exactly how well Grigs can budget the payroll.... Half of the team is up for extensions. 

well the big names are reggie nicks redding and butler. 

reggie I can see us letting go unfortunately. do we rreally wanna resign a 37 year old wr? nicks while not as productive is still young and can showcase his talent these next couple of games with reggie out. something like 2 year 5 million. redding is a mystery because he can still play at a high level, but there were rumors of him retiring. butler is gonna be 30 so I dont know about giving him a long-term contract. maybe something like 2 year 10 million 

reggie I can see us letting go unfortunately. do we rreally wanna resign a 37 year old wr? nicks while not as productive is still young and can showcase his talent these next couple of games with reggie out. something like 2 year 5 million. redding is a mystery because he can still play at a high level, but there were rumors of him retiring. butler is gonna be 30 so I dont know about giving him a long-term contract. maybe something like 2 year 10 million

Be excited if Butler signed the same 2 year $4 million, $2 million guaranteed contract as he did in 2013

He's not in a contract year, they picked up his 5th year option

Although you are not quoting me, I would like to chime in.

Technically you are correct; however, I understand BT's point too. It is not ideal for us to let Castonzo play out his 5th year option. If we do then we could pay for it BIG Time when he becomes a free agent. Our best choice is to sign him long term in the next off-season. 

Now what BT eluded to is that Castonzo has steadily improved every year, and that is a very true statement. 

I believe that if we plan on keeping Castonzo for the long haul (and we should) then we need to get a new deal done, and not go with the 5th year option. 

Just my two cents.

They will prob also resign Luck this offseason, Making him the highest paid player in the league... 

Although you are not quoting me, I would like to chime in.

Technically you are correct; however, I understand BT's point too. It is not ideal for us to let Castonzo play out his 5th year option. If we do then we could pay for it BIG Time when he becomes a free agent. Our best choice is to sign him long term in the next off-season.

Now what BT eluded to is that Castonzo has steadily improved every year, and that is a very true statement.

I believe that if we plan on keeping Castonzo for the long haul (and we should) then we need to get a new deal done, and not go with the 5th year option.

Just my two cents.

5th year option is only $7mil so that's a steal for a LT playing at his level, I'm just saying it also gives the Colts some extra time to structure other people's future contracts and then worry about Castonzo. Basically gives your a better way to play with the salary cap. Luck will probably play under that 5th year option as well just like Cam Newton is before cashing in huge

They will prob also resign Luck this offseason, Making him the highest paid player in the league... 

Not yet. But we are getting closer. I would not be surprised if we signed him long-term instead of giving him the 5th year deal though. Obviously we will slap the option on him when the time comes, but I doubt we will let it play out.

5th year option is only $7mil so that's a steal for a LT playing at his level, I'm just saying it also gives the Colts some extra time to structure other people's future contracts and then worry about Castonzo. Basically gives your a better way to play with the salary cap. Luck will probably play under that 5th year option as well just like Cam Newton is before cashing in huge

The problem with steals like this is the team will pay for it later. Do not think Castonzo and his agent will forget about it. In my mind, the players career is much more important than "a good deal" for just one season. Watch New England if you want to see how to do it the wrong way.

We need to get Castonzo locked up for the long haul this upcoming off-season. Give him a fair offer, and I don't see any reason why he would not take it. That is where the real steal is in this deal. 

If we get too greedy, I promise you that it will backfire on us. 

The problem with steals like this is the team will pay for it later. Do not think Castonzo and his agent will forget about it. In my mind, the players career is much more important than just one season, at a good deal. Watch New England if you want to see how to do it the wrong way.

We need to get Castonzo locked up for the long haul this upcoming off-season. Give him a fair offer, and I don't see any reason why he would not take it. That is where the real steal is in this deal.

If we get too greedy, I promise you that it will backfire on us.

You gotta work your salary cap, and if you can get your LT for $7million next year you do it and let some of the front loaded contracts get off the books(don't know who has front loaded contracts at the moment but I'm sure it's a couple) leaves money to resign other players. His time will come trust me they aren't letting him get away

You gotta work your salary cap, and if you can get your LT for $7million next year you do it and let some of the front loaded contracts get off the books(don't know who has front loaded contracts at the moment but I'm sure it's a couple) leaves money to resign other players. His time will come trust me they aren't letting him get away

This is not about letting him get away. If it gets that far then we have totally mismanaged the situation. It is about a contract not becoming the primary focus between the payer and the team. We cannot let that happen, and Grigson is too smart to allow that to happen. 

I have no doubt in my mind that Grigson will do this the right way, and give Castonzo a new deal this upcoming off season. I see no reason why Castonzo will ever cash a check from the 5th year option. Instead, he will get a long-term deal to cash in on. Everybody wins. Everybody is happy.

oh man forgot freeman. hes gonna want a big pay day. my guess 10 a year. 

He may want that much, but I doubt he gets it, especially at his age. In my opinion, Freeman will get around 7 million a year, and likely on a 3 to 4 year deal. 

See the Karlos Dansby deal and that is likely (close to) what we are going to see with Freeman. Freeman is a few years younger so it will be slightly more.

This is not about letting him get away. If it gets that far then we have totally mismanaged the situation. It is about a contract not becoming the primary focus between the payer and the team. We cannot let that happen, and Grigson is too smart to allow that to happen.

I have no doubt in my mind that Grigson will do this the right way, and give Castonzo a new deal this upcoming off season. I see no reason why Castonzo will ever cash a check from the 5th year option. Instead, he will get a long-term deal to cash in on. Everybody wins. Everybody is happy.

We differ there, If I'm Grigson I am going to enjoy this 5th year option on Castonzo while I can

We differ there, If I'm Grigson I am going to enjoy this 5th year option on Castonzo while I can

Look up Tyron Smith's new deal. The Dallas Cowboys are doing this the right way, and we will be very smart to follow suite. 

That 5th year option should NEVER hit Castonzo's checking account. 

In the words of Deion Sanders, "Pay the man!" He has surely earned it. We are not the New England Patriots, and we do not want that kind of stain with player relationships.

This is one of those times when an organization needs to set the tone, and just do the right thing. In the long run it will pay off for the Colts and for Castonzo. 

8 years, 90 million, with 20 million guaranteed. 

Look up Tyron Smith's new deal. The Dallas Cowboys are doing this the right way, and we will be very smart to follow suite.

That 5th year option should NEVER hit Castonzo's checking account.

In the words of Deion Sanders, "Pay the man!" He has surely earned it. We are not the New England Patriots, and we do not want that kind of stain with player relationships.

This is one of those times when an organization needs to set the tone, and just do the right thing. In the long run it will pay off for the Colts and for Castonzo.

8 years, 90 million, with 20 million guaranteed.

How is a 5th year option a stain with player relationships? The 5th year option is part of the contract he signed as a rookie. He signed the deal with full knowledge of the option so how will that be a negative between them?

I'm not getting your Patriots reference? What player did they exercise a 5th year option on? I don't follow the patriots contracts/personnel like that

you think canstanzo should get tyron smith money?

Close to it, but not quite. Tyron Smith got 8 years at 97 million.

Castonzo should get 8 years at 90 million. If we offer him that deal this upcoming off-season then he is more likely to take it. If we wait until his 5th year option expires then we can stick our heads between legs and kiss our butts, because we put our selves in the poo. We will have no one else to blame when we are left without a LT to protect Luck. And that 8 year deal, we can kiss that opportunity good-bye. 

It is not worth saving a few bucks for only one year.

How is a 5th year option a stain with player relationships? The 5th year option is part of the contract he signed as a rookie. He signed the deal with full knowledge of the option so how will that be a negative between them?

I'm not getting your Patriots reference? What player did they exercise a 5th year option on? I don't follow the patriots contracts/personnel like that

Let's start with the first part of your question.

Imagine that Castonzo's 5th option has played out. Fast forward in your mind to the end of 2015. 

Now what do we do? What does Castonzo want? How has the salary game changed? Who has the upper hand? How do you think Castonzo feels about a franchise tag? Where do these roads usually lead?

Those are the types of questions that you have to ask yourself. Think like a GM and the player. 

This is why the Dallas Cowboys are going to have a great LT for the next 10 years. They thought ahead, and they made the correct choices. 

Let's start with the first part of your question.

Imagine that Castonzo's 5th option has played out. Fast forward in your mind to the end of 2015.

Now what do we do? What does Castonzo want? How has the salary game changed? Who has the upper hand? How do you think Castonzo feels about a franchise tag? Where do these roads usually lead?

Those are the types of questions that you have to ask yourself. Think like a GM and the player.

This is why the Dallas Cowboys are going to have a great LT for the next 10 years. They thought ahead, and they made the correct choices.

End of 2015 if he hasn't got a new deal, franchise him continue negotiations until you come to an agreement, pretty typical for upscale players

End of 2015 if he hasn't got a new deal, franchise him continue negotiations until you come to an agreement, pretty typical for upscale players

Now you are walking down a slippery slope.

So let's play this out. You are the GM and I am the players agent. 

Offer me the franchise deal. How much is that for a LT in 2016?

Now you are walking down a slippery slope.

So let's play this out. You are the GM and I am the players agent.

Offer me the franchise deal. How much is that for a LT in 2016?

You only franchise him so no one else can sign him you don't really have any intentions of him playing on the franchise tag deal, and it gives you more time to continue negotiations for a new deal. Which will most certainly get done

You only franchise him so no one else can sign him you don't really have any intentions of him playing on the franchise tag deal, and it gives you more time to continue negotiations for a new deal. Which will most certainly get done

My client wants 6 years 100 million with 35 million guaranteed.

Your move.

Hahahahahahaha

That is the game you are playing my friend. We do not want to go there. 

This is why Dallas paid Tyron Smith. 

When you get a good LT, you lock him up. We have a good one. No need for the games. 

This is a no-brainer.

By the way, my client did not like that you laughed at our offer. He does not feel that the organization trust in his abilities. Our next move is to ask for a trade. ;)

That is the game you are playing my friend. We do not want to go there.

This is why Dallas paid Tyron Smith.

When you get a good LT, you lock him up. We have a good one. No need for the games.

This is a no-brainer.

By the way, my client did not like that you laughed at our offer. He does not feel that the organization trust in his abilities. Our next move is to ask for a trade. ;)

No that contract isn't even believable for a LT, a QB yea

Long may it continue.

I posted a little something about AC a few weeks back.. He's been our anchor on the line all season.