Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The next breakout Colt

BlueShoe

I am rewatching the Colts/Bengals game.

Something that has stood out the past few weeks is just how well Jonathan Newsome fits in this Colts defense. Even before Walden was tossed, Newsome played a lot in our nickel packages (has seen a lot of situational action this season), and he is really impressing me. He is starting to really come on and I believe he is going to breakout real soon. 

There is a lot of Robert Mathis in Jonathan Newsome, and we can certainly see the mentor shining through. 

The growth of Newsome each week is awesome to witness. 

I've been trying to be reserved in my projections for Newsome, because he is only a rookie, and he has to work on some things before he's really able to make a his mark. But I think he's really, really good, as a pure pass rusher. One of the best in the draft. I think he's going to be a really good player.

I've been trying to be reserved in my projections for Newsome, because he is only a rookie, and he has to work on some things before he's really able to make a his mark. But I think he's really, really good, as a pure pass rusher. One of the best in the draft. I think he's going to be a really good player.

Really ? 

Yeah, great first step and first move. He might be able to get by a few times against LTs but eventually, he will need a second or third move. Since his strength is not up there, the bull rush is probably not as much of an option right now. He has more of a stunt pass rush move and maybe a bit of a dip move (nothing even close to what Mathis brings) but that is the extent of it right now, IMO, for range of pass rush moves.

Yeah, great first step and first move. He might be able to get by a few times against LTs but eventually, he will need a second or third move. Since his strength is not up there, the bull rush is probably not as much of an option right now. He has more of a stunt pass rush move and maybe a bit of a dip move (nothing even close to what Mathis brings) but that is the extent of it right now, IMO, for range of pass rush moves.

You just described Mathis when he came into the league who was also a 5th rd draft pick .

Something that has stood out the past few weeks is just how well Jonathan Newsome fits in this Colts defense. Even before Walden was tossed, Newsome played a lot in our nickel packages (has seen a lot of situational action this season), and he is really impressing me. He is starting to really come on and I believe he is going to breakout real soon. 

There is a lot of Robert Mathis in Jonathan Newsome, and we can certainly see the mentor shining through. 

I thought I was the only one that seen that.  Newsome got a few pressures, nice size good speed.  Newsome is just raw, once he knocks off the ruff edges he will be something to deal with.  Go Colts

I have loved what I have seen out of Newsome so far, but to be truthful if we are talking about the next breakout player to me its Moncrief. We see it everytime he steps in the game. Plus with Reggie out for 1 to 2 weeks we will see Moncrief's role increase and at the momment with less playing time then Nicks, Moncrief has looked better between the two. After Moncief I'd go Kerr at #2 and Newsome #3  with center J Harrison right behind at #4.

I don't see it, because of our 3-4 scheme, one olb should be a pass rusher, the other an "edge setter"..

Newsome and werner look to be too similar, both clear pass rushers..

But a nice rotation in the future..

P.s. where's our other lb draft pick, a. jackson? Is he still on the team?

Werner has showed potential setting the edge. He was the left DE at FSU if I am not mistaken.

I don't see it, because of our 3-4 scheme, one olb should be a pass rusher, the other an "edge setter"..

Newsome is a clear Rush linebacker to me.  However Werner can play either position and be productive.  

If Newsome turns out to be the better of the two at getting to the QB, then I think Werner can be moved

to the Sam backer and be a good fit.  Walden plays the Sam and he's still getting to the QB so I don't think

it means you restrict your opportunities to get the sack.

I'm still waiting to see what Victor Butler can add to this defense.  Potential wise we may have a really good mix right now with V. Butler, Newsome, Werner, and Walden.  Grigson has done a really good job getting talent for this team, even in the face of injuries and other types of loss.

Newsome is a clear Rush linebacker to me. However Werner can play either position and be productive.

If Newsome turns out to be the better of the two at getting to the QB, then I think Werner can be moved

to the Sam backer and be a good fit. Walden plays the Sam and he's still getting to the QB so I don't think

it means you restrict your opportunities to get the sack.

Fair enough..

I noticed too. Walden got tossed and then like a play or too later he's creating pressure and all around Dalton. Caught me off guard for a minute. Man Grigson has really reversed a lot of early criticism about his 2014 draft. I thought he had a fine draft but there was a lot of doubt, and a lot of "We should've gotten ______ instead". Still waiting to see what A. Jackson brings to the table.

But Mewhort, Moncrief, and Newsome have all flashed enormous potential.

Jackson is on special teams right now. 

I thought hes looked good too. Looks better than Werner did in his first year IMO.

Werner played with bad DE`s who are Long Gone.

And without Mathis our run D is better so we are in 3rd and Long - all day long. Huh! 

My how that helps the pass rush. Who would think? Not so many here!!!!

I was thinking "Jonathan Newsome" when I saw the title of the thread lol I agree and hope to see more of him on the field

I noticed too. Walden got tossed and then like a play or too later he's creating pressure and all around Dalton. Caught me off guard for a minute. Man Grigson has really reversed a lot of early criticism about his 2014 draft. I thought he had a fine draft but there was a lot of doubt, and a lot of "We should've gotten ______ instead". Still waiting to see what A. Jackson brings to the table.

But Mewhort, Moncrief, and Newsome have all flashed enormous potential.

How early was this 2014 draft criticism? Before the season?