Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why the hate on Whalen?

camcolts2621

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think its so much hate as it is disappointment. Whalen is ok and serviceable. I like the kid but i honestly prefer someone with more speed on KR atleast field position is EVERYTHING. he can return the PR duties but atleast on KR id like someone faster out there. 

Griff Whalen is very sure handed and should absolutely be our punt returner. The fumble was actually surprising to me. I doubt we see him fumble again this year, because it is just not like him to fumble the ball. He also has a lot of good field awareness, knowing when to call a fair catch, let the ball go past him, or field it and take off. 

Some may call Whalen serviceable, but I call him safe. Most of the flashy return men have a tendency to turn the ball over.

If we are in a pinch and need a big return, or a spark, then we can always drop TY to return a punt. It will certainly get the (home) crowd into the game - see Garcon (Colts days). 

I will agree with you on kickoff returns. I believe Boom is our best kickoff return man, and I have no idea why he is not out there returning every kickoff. 

I think Whalen has been fine, a couple questionable decisions in one game doesn't make him bad.  

I don't really care as much about how explosive he is.  Just secure the ball and get positive yards.  The offense can take care of the rest.

Trindon Holiday had some huge returns, but also coughed it up.  Id rather have a normally sure handed guy that is less likely to break one than a shifty guy who every so often coughs it up. 

Clearly a situation where stats don't tell the whole story.

His ceiling is limited. But his MO is not making mistakes. Well he's had a game which he made two huge ones. And he has a tendency to run back kicks too deep in the end zone.

Thus people are mad. Maybe overboard in a manner, but it's hard to be happy about a high risk low reward player., when Griff is making questionable decisions.

So Griff makes a couple of bad plays and you judge him to be a bad player? I guess when Luck throws a pick does that same mentality follow? I guess when a lineman misses a block he is no good? When a RB does have a fumble he is no good? Maybe you see my point?

Average yards per kickoff return is a terrible stat. Technically, a 29 yard return can put you at the 20 yard line, and while that's "good" yardage, it's a bad return. So let's not prop up unwashed return yards as the measure of what makes a good return man.

Whalen typically makes good decisions. He's made some bad decisions recently, but overall, he's reliable. That's why he's the return man. I'm fine with that.

But he has practically zero ability to make people miss, he has only so-so change of direction ability, and his breakaway speed isn't threatening at all. He's looked downright slow on some returns. It's not strange to think that someone else might bring more to the table as a return man. It's actually likely, given Whalen's mediocre athleticism, compared with other guys on the roster. We have a good offense, so I'm fine sticking with Whalen because he's "safe," so long as he continues to be safe. But he's definitely not untouchable.

So Griff makes a couple of bad plays and you judge him to be a bad player? I guess when Luck throws a pick does that same mentality follow? I guess when a lineman misses a block he is no good? When a RB does have a fumble he is no good? Maybe you see my point?

Maybe you missed the point?

Where did I say he was a bad player?

But yes. When people screw up, fans get mad at a player, happens literally every game. That's why big critics of Whalen weren't around at the beginning of the year, but he's made some questionable decisions lately and people aren't happy with him.

I never threw him under the bus. I was just responding to the OP.

Average yards per kickoff return is a terrible stat. Technically, a 29 yard return can put you at the 20 yard line, and while that's "good" yardage, it's a bad return. So let's not prop up unwashed return yards as the measure of what makes a good return man.

Whalen typically makes good decisions. He's made some bad decisions recently, but overall, he's reliable. That's why he's the return man. I'm fine with that.

But he has practically zero ability to make people miss, he has only so-so change of direction ability, and his breakaway speed isn't threatening at all. He's looked downright slow on some returns. It's not strange to think that someone else might bring more to the table as a return man. It's actually likely, given Whalen's mediocre athleticism, compared with other guys on the roster. We have a good offense, so I'm fine sticking with Whalen because he's "safe," so long as he continues to be safe. But he's definitely not untouchable.

Oh boy you're going to be in trouble for this post.

His ceiling is limited. But his MO is not making mistakes. Well he's had a game which he made two huge ones. And he has a tendency to run back kicks too deep in the end zone.

Thus people are mad. Maybe overboard in a manner, but it's hard to be happy about a high risk low reward player., when Griff is making questionable decisions.

The two huge mistakes your talking about were mistakes but should be put in perspective. The first half of that game the roof was open and the wind was swirling. Their kick returner had a muff that we recovered. Whalen got away from a punt that bounced several yards past him. Fans in the punt catching contest at halftime never caught a punt and were misjudging them by 5' or more yards.They closed the roof at halftime I believe for that reason although they said it was threatening rain but it never rained. The fumbled punt in that game could have and from my vantage point at the game should have not been ruled a fumble as it appeared his knee was down. I agree he would have been wiser to call for a fair catch.

For those reason i don't consider them huge mistakes. I guess I see those two plays much different than you and personaly feel he is doing a very commendable job.

The two huge mistakes your talking about were mistakes but should be put in perspective. The first half of that game the roof was open and the wind was swirling. Their kick returner had a muff that we recovered. Whalen got away from a punt that bounced several yards past him. Fans in the punt catching contest at halftime never caught a punt and were misjudging them by 5' or more yards.They closed the roof at halftime I believe for that reason although they said it was threatening rain but it never rained. The fumbled punt in that game could have and from my vantage point at the game should have not been ruled a fumble as it appeared his knee was down. I agree he would have been wiser to call for a fair catch.

For those reason i don't consider them huge mistakes. I guess I see those two plays much different than you and personaly feel he is doing a very commendable job.

Whether his knee is down or not, it was a mistake to not fair catch that ball. Even if we retained possession, it was a mistake.

And the conditions weren't that rough, he made an honest mistake and misjudged the ball. It happens. But when you're out there for being the safe choice, you have to show better judgement then he has.

I don't knock his effort or his want to help the team, but his decision making has been questionable at times this year.

The two huge mistakes your talking about were mistakes but should be put in perspective. The first half of that game the roof was open and the wind was swirling. Their kick returner had a muff that we recovered. Whalen got away from a punt that bounced several yards past him. Fans in the punt catching contest at halftime never caught a punt and were misjudging them by 5' or more yards.They closed the roof at halftime I believe for that reason although they said it was threatening rain but it never rained. The fumbled punt in that game could have and from my vantage point at the game should have not been ruled a fumble as it appeared his knee was down. I agree he would have been wiser to call for a fair catch.

For those reason i don't consider them huge mistakes. I guess I see those two plays much different than you and personaly feel he is doing a very commendable job.

I've noticed in the chat rooms on Gameday that everyone is dissing Griff Whalen on his return abilities... If you ask me...

Whalen is not only a solid returner (both punt and kick off), but he is there whenever you need him if someone (like Reggie Wayne) gets hurt. He's Mr. reliable in my opinion. Think of another guy that you would want to return.....Think about it. That other guy is going to be there for just those things (KR & PR). When you have a guy like Whalen, you have a guy that is reliable and that can step up at any time. He's also fifth in the league in KR yards... not bad for a guy that most consider "slow" 

Just from what i've seen in the last 7 games... yeah there's that one fumble, but he made it up the following week and you could tell he was much improved. In my opinion, we keep him there, he's going to break one soon, I can sense it.

He doesn't have the speed to get the chunks of yardage. Watch you can see the lane he just can't get there. It would be nice to have a threat in the return game to be able to flip field position maybe even score a touchdown on a return. It seemed the staff looked high and low during the preseason but couldn't find anyone they felt comfortable with. I think Rainy might have had a real shot if he wasn't well Rainy.

The most important thing is to gain possession of the ball and until the Colts find someone they feel confident can gain possession of the ball and be explosive. It is Griff as our primary returner. I have no problem with it after the D get off the field the last thing you want is the PR to put them back out there.

I would bet if you looked at average yard per return Griff would not fair so well I think he gets a lot of opportunities because the D is providing a lot of opportunities resulting in total return yards...that's what I am talking about build the monster. 

If our biggest problem is we don't have an explosive KR we are doing pretty good.

The two huge mistakes your talking about were mistakes but should be put in perspective. The first half of that game the roof was open and the wind was swirling. Their kick returner had a muff that we recovered. Whalen got away from a punt that bounced several yards past him. Fans in the punt catching contest at halftime never caught a punt and were misjudging them by 5' or more yards.They closed the roof at halftime I believe for that reason although they said it was threatening rain but it never rained. The fumbled punt in that game could have and from my vantage point at the game should have not been ruled a fumble as it appeared his knee was down. I agree he would have been wiser to call for a fair catch.

For those reason i don't consider them huge mistakes. I guess I see those two plays much different than you and personaly feel he is doing a very commendable job.

You liked your response so much you posted it twice lol?

Look....its cool that the originator of this post seems to only see what he wants to see and just seems to be a Whalen fan, but a return man should bring more positives to the position than negatives and Whalen just hasn't done that. Look at it rationally and not emotionally and you'll see the simple truth. What has he done to put us in position to actually WIN a game this season? And then, on the flip side, what has he done that almost actually cost a game? (i.e.  Ravens game) Not much else needs to be said. 

I've noticed in the chat rooms on Gameday that everyone is dissing Griff Whalen on his return abilities... If you ask me...

Whalen is not only a solid returner (both punt and kick off), but he is there whenever you need him if someone (like Reggie Wayne) gets hurt. He's Mr. reliable in my opinion. Think of another guy that you would want to return.....Think about it. That other guy is going to be there for just those things (KR & PR). When you have a guy like Whalen, you have a guy that is reliable and that can step up at any time. He's also fifth in the league in KR yards... not bad for a guy that most consider "slow" 

Just from what i've seen in the last 7 games... yeah there's that one fumble, but he made it up the following week and you could tell he was much improved. In my opinion, we keep him there, he's going to break one soon, I can sense it.

Whalen is solid -- like you said, he made those 2 poor decisions (and I sometimes question his decision to run the ball out from deep in the end zone, but he is taking it back to right around the 20, so as long as he holds on to the ball and nobody gets injured, that's fine), but overall he is a very solid fundamental FB player and one of his biggest strengths is that he is sure-handed.  I do not think Whalen will ever break one, he is not fast or quick enough -- the only way that would happen is if he had something similar to what happened in the Rams-Seahawks game and magically gets a wide-open field.  However, besides the fumble, he does have strong hands and I don't think fumbling is a concern for him. 

The questions now are -- do we have any one on our team that has big play punt/kick return potential? If so, how big is this potential and how consistent would it be (i.e., is it going to force serious fear into other teams every week)? If another player has better return capabilities than Griff, is he going to be as reliable in fielding the ball cleanly and holding onto it?  If another player has better return capabilities than Griff, do the risks of injury outweigh the benefits of return ability?

I think quickness and elusiveness are more important than straight line speed for the first 5 or so seconds after receiving the punt to find open space, and then if open space is found, straight line speed becomes more important to outrun tacklers.  On kickoffs, straight line speed is necessary right of the bat, and in most cases returns are a byproduct of excellent blocking and large gaps.

My answers to the questions are -- TY probably has more big play punt return potential as he is quicker and faster than Griff.  TY also has not had any fumbling problems and has pretty good hands.  However, he is (IMO) too valuable and too small for the coaches to risk getting him hit any more than he does as a WR.  Purifoy, I think has some quickness and elusiveness, but am not sure if he has any more speed than Whalen and don't know about his hands/ball security.  Moncrief doesn't seem to have much elusiveness but has straight line speed, so I could see him being another option as KR, but don't know much about his hands either.  Other than that, the only guys on our roster that I could see as options are Toler or Davis, who are both too valuable to risk injury.  Boom could potentially take kicks, too, but not sure he's got any more play-making ability than Griff (other than he is more of a tackle-breaking threat).  At this point, I am fine with Whalen taking our kicks as I'm not sure we have any better options on our roster (other than TY, who I would rather see avoid taking any extra hits and focusing on WR).  We've got a great offense, so ball security at this point is probably more important than big returns, especially given that we don't have a really viable option for a homerun threat to replace Griff.

He's solid. He's reliable, as return men go. He has also flashed a few great returns that were called back, either due to penalty, or his knee grazing the ground while spinning away. He made a few bad judgements several weeks ago, but seemed to respond to the errors well. 

Here's the facts;

Whalen has only had 8 returns. 

His average KO Return (27.6) would be ranked about #5 among players with 8 or more returns

Only 1 player has a kickoff return for a TD in 2014 that I'm aware of (C.J. Spiller). 

Only 4 players have punt returns for a TD in 2014. 

Whalen has the most punt returns (20) in 2014 with a low average of only 6.7. This is a testament to our defense forcing punts (league high btw), as well as a poor reflection on our punt return blocking. This is reflected dually by his high amount of fair catches (14). 

The numbers reflect a great Colts defense, solid kickoff returning by Whalen and poor punt return squad performance. 

He'll bust one before the years out, I betcha. 

References;

NFL Punt

NFL Kickoff

His fair catches are not taken into account on his average.  He has returned 20 punts, but we've forced 39 punts -- punts that go out of bounds or are fair caught are not included in their equation here.  So yes, 6.7 yards is pretty poor for a return average.  This is certainly an area on our team that could be improved, but given how well our team is playing in other aspects of the game it doesn't have to be our top priority.

I think the problem is that he's solid but not spectacular. People are looking for highlight reel type of returns and he's not that type of player.

Right!  At this point, I'm not sure we have a highlight reel return option, so having a guy that can hold onto the ball is probably a better option than trying to replace him with someone with more unsure hands.

Reed was absolutely ignorant as a kick returner.  He would bring it out from the back and rarely make it to the 10 or 12.  OH...that IS a 20 yard return :)

We did not sign Holliday, so coach McMahon and Pags must like Griff's judgement.  That is all that matters.  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Holliday has major fumbling problems.  Griff has fumbled once.  Holliday was a dangerous weapon but he is by no means what Dante Hall was or what Hester is -- his fumbling risk does not outweigh his threat of hitting a home run.

I must admit there is not much in this post that I agree with.

• Hester et al may be faster than Whalen but their decision making is not any faster.
  • It's because the ball didn't hit at the 17ish yard line it hit at about the 10 yard line, that is not a punt that should be fielded.
  • A return for a TD is not any more back breaking to a team than any other TD.  Look at the Colts SB win, Hester took the opening kickoff for a TD.  that did not quite break the back of the Colts in that game, as just one example.
  • Whalen is not a below average cog.  He is an above average cog.  If a chance to upgrade the position happens then by all means the Colts should take it but an upgrade has to be in decision making and ball security not just speed.

A return for a TD can be more back breaking, depending on when it happens.  Your example is an opening TD, which didn't switch momentum or come at a critical time in the game.  Sure, it may have given the Bears a little early momentum but it didn't switch the momentum.  In a hard fought game where teams are beating the crap out of each other to a stalemate on offense and defense and fighting field position battles and punting back and forth, a return TD late in the game can be back breaking, demoralizing, and critical to the outcome of the game.

A return for a TD can be more back breaking, depending on when it happens.  Your example is an opening TD, which didn't switch momentum or come at a critical time in the game.  Sure, it may have given the Bears a little early momentum but it didn't switch the momentum.  In a hard fought game where teams are beating the crap out of each other to a stalemate on offense and defense and fighting field position battles and punting back and forth, a return TD late in the game can be back breaking, demoralizing, and critical to the outcome of the game.

What type of TD in that situation would not be back breaking, demoralizing and critical to the outcome of the game?

Maybe you missed the point?

Where did I say he was a bad player?

But yes. When people screw up, fans get mad at a player, happens literally every game. That's why big critics of Whalen weren't around at the beginning of the year, but he's made some questionable decisions lately and people aren't happy with him.

I never threw him under the bus. I was just responding to the OP.

Your comment was over two plays. That was my point. If we all disliked or thought negative about one player over two plays there is not a player on the roster who wouldn't face negative comments. But it's more fun to pick one player out a week and single them out. If it's not Griff it's TRich. If not him it's Fleener. After week two it was a whole bunch that needed to be let go and was a waist of money. Grigs didn't know what he was doing. The coaching staff did a terrible job. My point being football is not a game of total perfection. If it was it wouldn't be near as fun to watch. The very thing as to why football is watched is you never know or can tell what is going to happen. It does get real tiresome reading all the negative comments like these player were robots and we are playing X-Box or something.

BINGO

Look....its cool that the originator of this post seems to only see what he wants to see and just seems to be a Whalen fan, but a return man should bring more positives to the position than negatives and Whalen just hasn't done that. Look at it rationally and not emotionally and you'll see the simple truth. What has he done to put us in position to actually WIN a game this season? And then, on the flip side, what has he done that almost actually cost a game? (i.e.  Ravens game) Not much else needs to be said. 

So when he fumbles he almost costs the Colts the game, But when he does his job he doesn't put the Colts in position to win the game?

Seems the OP is not only one who is guilty of seeing what he wants to see.

Your comment was over two plays. That was my point. If we all disliked or thought negative about one player over two plays there is not a player on the roster who wouldn't face negative comments. But it's more fun to pick one player out a week and single them out. If it's not Griff it's TRich. If not him it's Fleener. After week two it was a whole bunch that needed to be let go and was a waist of money. Grigs didn't know what he was doing. The coaching staff did a terrible job. My point being football is not a game of total perfection. If it was it wouldn't be near as fun to watch. The very thing as to why football is watched is you never know or can tell what is going to happen. It does get real tiresome reading all the negative comments like these player were robots and we are playing X-Box or something.

My comment was about 2 plays and questionable decision making yes. Those are things that make up how he's played this year believe it or not. When you're a low ceiling player, those mistakes do count against you to a lot of fans.

You seem to have an issue with the thread. I just responded to the OP on why people aren't giddy over Whalen these days. You're trying to take my post into a bigger rant, and it doesn't really fit.

Looking at the player and stat only is not good but considering all KR in the league are in the same situation having the 5th highest KO return average is the 5th highest.

Looking at the player and stat only is not good but considering all KR in the league are in the same situation having the 5th highest KO return average is the 5th highest.

They aren't all in the same situation. One returner might get 25 yards per return, but he's fielding higher, shorter kicks from 2 yards deep in the end zone. He's getting to the 23, on average, and he's making a guy miss almost every time. The other guy is getting 27 yards per return, but he's getting line drive kicks 7 yards into the end zone, he's getting to the 20, and he's not making anyone miss.

An unwashed yards per return stat is pretty pointless. Whalen's average is what it is, but I don't think anyone would argue that he's the fifth best or fifth most effective returner in the league. So why are we promoting that stat?

Edit: Let me put this another way. I don't think Whalen would be fifth in net yards per kickoff return. And I think that's a more meaningful stat.

He is very average returning kicks and also can be replaced. We do have the number one offense in the league, but it would be nice to give the offense some good field position off a return once in a while.

He's 5th in return yards. The Colts have started around the 30 yard line many, many times this year.

So when he fumbles he almost costs the Colts the game, But when he does his job he doesn't put the Colts in position to win the game?

Seems the OP is not only one who is guilty of seeing what he wants to see.

Ok, so it seems to me that you are at best, saying that this guy is mediocre when he simply "does his job". I dont think a prospective Championship team should settle for mediocrity. Do you?

Ok, so it seems to me that you are at best, saying that this guy is mediocre when he simply "does his job". I dont think a prospective Championship team should settle for mediocrity. Do you?

no but our return game isn't a problem either and he is probably our best option at the moment.

That's stats are a mirage basically. That's our defense giving him all of those oppurtunities.

has he hurt the team with those opportunities? Whalen is a very safe player.

Reed was like 8th in KR average.

Are you really trying to say Griff is as bad at returning kicks as David Reed was?

I know Griff isn't the second coming of Hester, but to act like hes as bad as Reed was (the dude who barely made it passed the ten yard line) is just laughable at best. I would take Griff all day over David Reed.

Are you really trying to say Griff is as bad at returning kicks as David Reed was?

I know Griff isn't the second coming of Hester, but to act like hes as bad as Reed was (the dude who barely made it passed the ten yard line) is just laughable at best. I would take Griff all day over David Reed.

Not his point at all.

I've always said I like Whalen for the most part, but I'd be lying if I said we couldn't do much better than just being safe at fielding punt returns.  If Demps can do the job without turning the ball over I'd love to have him back there for sure.   Seems he had a good workout with Grigs which led to signing him over Holiday so I am going to make a small assumption that he's shown he can secure the ball. If this turns out to be true then we've got to replace the Griffer back there because Demps would be a clear upgrade.   I don't know about you, but I'd love to have a speed demon like Demps on punt return. 

It would make us so much more dangerous and complete than we already are!  If for some reason it doesn't work out I've been wondering if the coaching staff has given Josh Lenz any consideration?  I mean the guy runs a 4.3 so he's got the speed, and from everything I've seen he's got good hands although returning punts is a bit of a different animal. Even at the receiver position I think the potential is there for him to be a possible upgrade over Griff if given a chance.  I could be wrong though.

Some of ya all should watch the Return units a little closer, Many times 7-8 opposing special team players come down the field untouched like our special team players are scared to block...Im all for getting a more explosive returner if it would help.......It would not however  until some of our special teamers on Return Game find there Man Cards