Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Vontae (Mega Merge)

keverton

That's Dolphins' problem... They had problem with his work-ethic. I daresay the 'climate' is far better for Vontae in Indianapolis, plus Pags was DB coach first. Everything was here to capitalize his talent. 

Yes, good find by Grigson.  Davis always had talent, but showed up at Dolphins camp out of shape and lost his starting job to a free agent signing.  He had scuffle with Brandon Marshall and was suspended a game while there, and reportedly took ill advised breaks at practice.  He was still immature, but quite talented. Philbon was in a house cleaning mode too.

Grigson and Pagano cut and polished him into one fine gemstone.  Getting him to re-sign and stay was a no brainer.

Yes, good find by Grigson.  Davis always had talent, but showed up at Dolphins camp out of shape and lost his starting job to a free agent signing.  He had scuffle with Brandon Marshall and was suspended a game while there, and reportedly took ill advised breaks at practice.  He was still immature, but quite talented. Philbon was in a house cleaning mode too.

Grigson and Pagano cut and polished him into one fine gemstone.  Getting him to re-sign and stay was a no brainer.

I remember that general opinion was that Colts overpaid him. I think he serves every cent of his contract.

Best deal this off season he's gona be all pro this year what a player

If you want a good laugh, go back in the forum and read all the posts from people who didn't want to re-sign him. 

Then read the "Fire Grigson/Pagano now!" posts when you stop rolling your eyes.

If you want a good laugh, go back in the forum and read all the posts from people who didn't want to re-sign him. 

Then read the "Fire Grigson/Pagano now!" posts when you stop rolling your eyes.

To be slightly fair to some posters it was a weird CB market this offseason with quite a few deals getting done and the bar getting set higher and higher. Quite a few talking heads were saying Davis got (slightly) overpaid in that he had the talent but not the consistency/durability which at the time was somewhat fair comment.

Personally I was happy at the time we locked him up and I'm ever happier now :)

Yea your right but carn't belive dolphins let him. Go in first place

I'm sure they had a chance, and he was ready to leave that team... and he got out right before all the crap went down.

3846351601_OMG20The20British20R20Coming_

This forum has a great group of members from overseas. I must say that is great to see.

I remember that general opinion was that Colts overpaid him. I think he serves every cent of his contract.

Yes, most were unimpressed with giving away a second rounder (and I think a 2013 conditional?) for a first round guy that fell out of favor on his club.  The hard knocks show didn't paint a pretty picture so there were valid concerns from many here.  However, I thought if Pagano could get through, it was a fantastic deal.  He did, and it was. Now Toler is beginning to pay off as well.  And I have been trying stay low on their drafts and signees, and try to see the plans.  Sometimes it's hard, as in - the ' Kurious Kase of Khaled '

Yes, most were unimpressed with giving away a second rounder (and I think a 2013 conditional?) for a first round guy that fell out of favor on his club.  The hard knocks show didn't paint a pretty picture so there were valid concerns from many here.  However, I thought if Pagano could get through, it was a fantastic deal.  He did, and it was. Now Toler is beginning to pay off as well.  And I have been trying stay low on their drafts and signees, and try to see the plans.  Sometimes it's hard, as in - the ' Kurious Kase of Khaled '

I was thining about expert at nfl.com and ESPN, who thought we overpaid Vontae when resigned.

Acquiring Vontae didn't seem a high risk move to me, he clearly had the talent, he only was at wrong place. 

Holmes' case...well. I'm confused about it. It is clear that Harrison grabbed the opportunity and now coaching staff believes he would be the answer for the position.

I was thining about expert at nfl.com and ESPN, who thought we overpaid Vontae when resigned.

Acquiring Vontae didn't seem a high risk move to me, he clearly had the talent, he only was at wrong place. 

Holmes' case...well. I'm confused about it. It is clear that Harrison grabbed the opportunity and now coaching staff believes he would be the answer for the position.

It wasn't that Vontae was risky, although he was, to a degree. It was that the Colts were still a "bad team," and were giving up a second round pick for a corner. It was viewed as a "win now" kind of move for a team that had no shot at making the playoffs and would probably be picking high in the draft again. Many people suggested it was like giving up a late first rounder (which is silly, but whatever). 'This team shouldn't be giving away high draft picks for marginal talent. It's not like we're going to win any games right now anyways.'

Things didn't turn out that way. We went 11-5 and that practical "late first rounder" wound up being an actual late second rounder. Two years later, Vontae Davis is one of the very best corners in the league, if not THE best, at least so far this year.

Even last year, when we re-signed him, he was a guy who gave up 8 TDs last year. He wasn't seen as a top notch, shutdown corner. Well, he is now.

It wasn't that Vontae was risky, although he was, to a degree. It was that the Colts were still a "bad team," and were giving up a second round pick for a corner. It was viewed as a "win now" kind of move for a team that had no shot at making the playoffs and would probably be picking high in the draft again. Many people suggested it was like giving up a late first rounder (which is silly, but whatever). 'This team shouldn't be giving away high draft picks for marginal talent. It's not like we're going to win any games right now anyways.'

Things didn't turn out that way. We went 11-5 and that practical "late first rounder" wound up being an actual late second rounder. Two years later, Vontae Davis is one of the very best corners in the league, if not THE best, at least so far this year.

Even last year, when we re-signed him, he was a guy who gave up 8 TDs last year. He wasn't seen as a top notch, shutdown corner. Well, he is now.

In my book Vontae is clearly on the top. IF he increases the number of INTs he obviously will be the best CB in the game.

In my book Vontae is clearly on the top. IF he increases the number of INTs he obviously will be the best CB in the game.

Gotta make room in the discussion for Chris Harris and Jimmy Smith. And none of these guys are going to have a lot of picks, because they don't get targeted. Especially Vontae, because the Colts' defense is spending just 2 minutes on the field per possession. Not a lot of chances for interceptions.

Yes, that too. Experts were seeing super high contracts on DB's in free agency and thought most all were overpaid, especially Vontae.  Then a couple smart ones got on TV  and said, that is new market reality. revenue is going up, and cap space is going up.  Teams have cap spending minimums so new market numbers are going to rise for highly sought skill players.  Others pointed out how Grigson structured the contract and next thing you know, and then even people were more on board. Even though Vontae was still 'inconsistent'.

So some did think if Vontae continued his improvement path as he had it would all be fine for us and the new contract.  And those few smart guys seem to be right.  But others thought we overpaid, both times.  I think we did just fine both times. And Davis is still here and Powers is not.  Hopefully Toler can keep improving and stay on the field as well.  He's quite good at times himself.

I think we can all agree Vontae's deal is a great one now. Especially considering we have him locked up for 5 years, and what great DB's will be going for in one to two years when the cap continues up. Vontae proved himself though in one way I just love, and lets you know about a player, and how much he wants it. A lot of players in their contract year play much harder, and many times get paid for it, and then go back to an average effort. This is what separates good from great. He continues to only get better, even after signing for the big bucks. That says a lot to me.

Now I was going to post this on a separate thread, but since this is a Vontae thread, I will post it here. CBS Sportsline has a issue every week called Coach Killers. This week one of the topics was the Cincinatti Bengals. They have a great video of when Bradshaw ran for a touchdown, Terence Newman had a clear shot at him, and basically said, no I don't want a piece of that, and decided to play matador. In contrast to that is the video of Vontae hitting Giovanni. It shows two angles, which I had not seen the second angle, which shows even more of what a perfect, and I do mean could not draw it up better in the league of fines, perfect tackle. It was such a wonderful hit. Look at Newman, look at Vontae, and it shows how good he has become, and wants to be great. Link is provided below, check it out!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24762261/coach-killers-week-7-the-falcons-are-bad-and-getting-worse

I think we can all agree Vontae's deal is a great one now. Especially considering we have him locked up for 5 years, and what great DB's will be going for in one to two years when the cap continues up. Vontae proved himself though in one way I just love, and lets you know about a player, and how much he wants it. A lot of players in their contract year play much harder, and many times get paid for it, and then go back to an average effort. This is what separates good from great. He continues to only get better, even after signing for the big bucks. That says a lot to me.

Now I was going to post this on a separate thread, but since this is a Vontae thread, I will post it here. CBS Sportsline has a issue every week called Coach Killers. This week one of the topics was the Cincinatti Bengals. They have a great video of when Bradshaw ran for a touchdown, Terence Newman had a clear shot at him, and basically said, no I don't want a piece of that, and decided to play matador. In contrast to that is the video of Vontae hitting Giovanni. It shows two angles, which I had not seen the second angle, which shows even more of what a perfect, and I do mean could not draw it up better in the league of fines, perfect tackle. It was such a wonderful hit. Look at Newman, look at Vontae, and it shows how good he has become, and wants to be great. Link is provided below, check it out!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24762261/coach-killers-week-7-the-falcons-are-bad-and-getting-worse

Nice post!  Don't forget his all out hustle to help secure the fumble recovery with DJax and the win on the Strip/Sack of Fitzpatrick at Houston!  Pix here-

http://forums.colts.com/topic/31865-who-won/#entry908185

This week is going to be his hardest test all year. Antonio Brown is the best WR in the game right now, and his style is that which Vontae has seemed to struggle with more in the past; light/quick rather than big/physical. I hope Pitt lines him up on the left more than the right so Vontae can end his streak.

Vontae seems to play the position the right way. That hit on Bernard was textbook on how to cause an incomplete pass. Also, when Dalton went at Davis a few times at the end off the Cincinnati game, Vontae stepped up and showed why he's the best corner in the game, right now.