Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts make practice squad moves

MTC

It was part of the CBA, every small shifty runner must be labelled the new Darren Sproles. 

Ahh, I missed that!  It must be right after "Every small white possession receiver must be labelled the new Wes Welker."

I think we've had two of them so far, Sam Giguere and Griff Whalen.

Are we gonna waive Jamon Meredith to bring Demps up to the active 53? Meredith is really the only guy I can see us waiving. I don't believe the coaches will go with 4 WR's and still have Whalen bringing the kicks back.

Or do we keep Whalen at returner and just bring up another WR like Lenz?

I'm expecting one of these scenarios to happen today or tomorrow

Where was Demps before being signed to the PS? his name sounds so familiar for some reason. idk why but i feel like he was apart of the team before. 

Demps has been kicked around the league for a couple years.  I think he's only been active in two games.  I believe he was injured when the Pats had him.  Then he was traded to the Bucs, and I think he was either cut or put on their PS.

Hasn't exactly set the league on fire, but it could be due to injuries rather than lack of talent.  A lot of these track guys just don't work out in the NFL.  No one tackles you when you're running the 400m relay.  At least, not on purpose.

Are we gonna waive Jamon Meredith to bring Demps up to the active 53? Meredith is really the only guy I can see us waiving. I don't believe the coaches will go with 4 WR's and still have Whalen bringing the kicks back.

Or do we keep Whalen at returner and just bring up another WR like Lenz?

I'm expecting one of these scenarios to happen today or tomorrow

Why?  If that were the case, wouldn't they have just signed him to the active roster?  I'm just curious if you heard something that I missed?

Ahh, I missed that! It must be right after "Every small white possession receiver must be labelled the new Wes Welker."

I think we've had two of them so far, Sam Giguere and Griff Whalen.

Dang I was always referring to whalen as austin collie..

I think that we should use Whalen as our 4th receiver this week and bring up Lenz from the PS so that we have 5 receivers for the game. I also think we should bring up Demps for the game so that he will be our return man instead of Whalen who can be used as one of our receivers.

I think that we should use Whalen as our 4th receiver this week and bring up Lenz from the PS so that we have 5 receivers for the game. I also think we should bring up Demps for the game so that he will be our return man instead of Whalen who can be used as one of our receivers.

So, who are the two guys you want to release?  You do realize that we don't have 53 active for the game, right?

We don't need 5 active WRs, especially since it should only be a couple weeks. And Whalen being our number 4 WR for a few weeks doesn't affect his return duties (though his poor returns might).

We don't need 5 active WRs, especially since it should only be a couple weeks. And Whalen being our number 4 WR for a few weeks doesn't affect his return duties (though his poor returns might).

Griff isn't too bad, except for the muff. He'd be amongst the leaders in KO returns if he had one more. Not so great in PRs, but how many are called back because of penalties?

It's interesting that he may be leading the league in the number of punt returns. That says a lot for our D, and for our return team setting him up to field instead of fair catch.

These days ya basically just need a receiver with reliable hands to catch and down the ball, Would a dynamic returner be great? Sure....I think Grigson has been trying to get one lately but its not needed, Our blocking on Returns is not very consistent so that don't help and bringing in a potentially better Returner wont help that

It's possible Demps is being used as a Dri Archer stand-in on special teams to get the team used to that kind of speed. Not necessarily JUST for that, though.

If that was the case they could have signed Trindon Holiday for something like that if you just want to immitate someone in practice.

Griff isn't too bad, except for the muff. He'd be amongst the leaders in KO returns if he had one more. Not so great in PRs, but how many are called back because of penalties?

It's interesting that he may be leading the league in the number of punt returns. That says a lot for our D, and for our return team setting him up to field instead of fair catch.

I think our PR blocking has been great and Griff has made pretty much the least out of it, even on his better returns he has left yards on the field. Same with KRs, really.

My suspicions are we will keep Demps for a nice little while.  He's got something we are missing as far as being a home run hitter in the running and passing game, plus he brings an added bonus on special teams.  At least I'm hoping we keep him around although I do realize we have a crowd of running backs on this team between Bradshaw, Richardsons, Herron, Tipton, and Demps.  I'd hate it if we released him.  You think we are leading the league in time of possession now, wait until you put a little guy like this in the short passing game. He would pick up first down yardage very quickly plus extra chunk yardage.  Hope this isn't just another Dion Lewis type of signing.  I think this kid could help us become just plain unstoppable.

I remember Jeff Demps now. He played for the Patriots. And ya like 1959Colts mentioned, the Pats wanted to bring him back, but the Colts jumped on him. It sounds to me like Jeff Demps could have played for the Pats, but chose not to.
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20141022-patriots-showed-interest-in-bringing-back-jeff-demps-before-he-signed-with-colts.ece

I remember Jeff Demps now. He played for the Patriots. And ya like 1959Colts mentioned, the Pats wanted to bring him back, but the Colts jumped on him. It sounds to me like Jeff Demps could have played for the Pats, but chose not to.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20141022-patriots-showed-interest-in-bringing-back-jeff-demps-before-he-signed-with-colts.ece

They know they would have been looking good adding Demps in the backfield with Vereen, plus having Gronk and Wright. The problem is Demps was no fool.  He knows who the better team is right now!

I thought there was a qb on practice squad?

We just released a QB ( D Davis) from the practice squad. But are you thinking of Jeff Mathews who played at Cornell  ? He was released by the Falcons and dined to the Cots PS in early September. I looked for him a while ago and see that he was released about 8-9 days after we signed him.

We just released a QB ( D Davis) from the practice squad. But are you thinking of Jeff Mathews who played at Cornell ? He was released by the Falcons and dined to the Cots PS in early September. I looked for him a while ago and see that he was released about 8-9 days after we signed him.

Yea thats who I was thinking of, never heard we released him. Guess we have faith Im hassleback coming back next year

I think our PR blocking has been great and Griff has made pretty much the least out of it, even on his better returns he has left yards on the field. Same with KRs, really.

I'll take your word for it, to me it looks like he's made some bad decisions taking KO's from 5 yards deep.  He ends up at the 20 anyway.

I don't know if Demps can do any better if they bring him up.  I guess they'll see how he does in practice.  If they do bring him up, is there a real need for Griff anymore?  Possession receivers who get a few plays a game are a dime a dozen.

I'll take your word for it, to me it looks like he's made some bad decisions taking KO's from 5 yards deep. He ends up at the 20 anyway.

I don't know if Demps can do any better if they bring him up. I guess they'll see how he does in practice. If they do bring him up, is there a real need for Griff anymore? Possession receivers who get a few plays a game are a dime a dozen.

Well hes like number 5 in the league for returns... im not against bringing somwone new in I just hate people down playing him so much. And we only have 5wr on the team now (not including practice of course)

Well hes like number 5 in the league for returns... im not against bringing somwone new in I just hate people down playing him so much. And we only have 5wr on the team now (not including practice of course)

If you go back and look at post #53, that's pretty much what I said.  But if you're averaging 27 yds per KO return and you're only getting to the 22, you might be making some bad decisions.  Of course, if the blocking isn't there you can't do much.

I have nothing against Griff, I think he's a solid possession guy.  He may be a better returner than Demps because you have to get 5 yards before you get 50.  Griff is pretty good about getting away from the first few guys.  But we know his ceiling.

Two WRs eh? Probably not good news regarding Wayne. 

edit: nvm, thought we signed two WRs.

after the MRI, Pagano said the results were not so bad (or something like that). Which means there was damage but just not that severe.  I'd say 4 to 5 weeks unless someone knows different.