Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should we re-sign Nicks this off-season?

JoshPhilpot

We signed Nicks to a one year prove it deal during the off-season while he hasn't produced for our team as much as I had hoped for in our crowded receiving core I still think he is very good. Also I would be surprised if Reggie doesn't retire after this season. And because of his lack of production I think we could get Nicks on a cheap long term deal and he would make a good second reciever or great third receiver (depending on how well Moncrief develops) for many years to come. What do you guys think? Should we resign him after this season?

We have to consider it now that we've lost Brazil and Rogers. Otherwise we could be going into next year with only TY, Moncrief, and Griff for next season if Reggie retires.. another thing to consider is if Nicks would resign with us at all next year. I think the only way he does is if we can increase his role next year.

Can't hurt -- he is solid depth and I think has the ability to come in as a #2 or #3 if needed.  He'll know the offense more and have another year to heal up from nagging injuries he's dealt with the past couple of years.  His lack of production this season should make him relatively cheap and he is still pretty young (26) -- since we have more pressing needs on our team (S and LB), I'd like to see us focus on defense in this draft and think Nicks may be a better option than going with a rookie WR for our 3rd/4th stringer next year.

I think Reggie has at least 2 more years after this left in him.... if nothing else he might want to play to solidify his spot in the HOF -- he has a very good shot at passing James Lofton and Marvin Harrison this season to move up to 7 all time on receiving yards and should pass Terrell Owens and come very close to Tim Brown after this season to put him at 5th or 6th for total receptions.  If he comes back and has 1 more below average year he'll most likely move past Cris Carter and Marvin to put himself at 3rd all time in receptions and past Issac Bruce, Tim Brown, Tony Gonzalez and Randy Moss to put him in 3rd all time in receiving yards.  If he has 2 more average years, he'll put himself behind on Jerry Rice for receiving yards and probably behind Rice and Gonzalez for total receptions.

Reggie seems to be a student of the game and as long as he is healthy and these milestones are within reach, I can't see him hanging them up.  Especially on our current team where he has a very legitimate opportunity to win another ring or 2 if he sticks around for 2-3 more years.

Maybe for the league min.  But Moncrief should surpass him by next season.

And honestly I'm not 100% confident that Reggie Wayne will retire.  And if he doesn't we should bring him back.

I'm hesitant to make big changes with this group because of how well things are working.  

We have to consider it now that we've lost Brazil and Rogers. Otherwise we could be going into next year with only TY, Moncrief, and Griff for next season if Reggie retires.. another thing to consider is if Nicks would resign with us at all next year. I think the only way he does is if we can increase his role next year.

You must've forgot who the :colts: GM is........

Doubt Grigson would set us up like that and almost 10000% positive that Reggie Wayne would give us a heads up before he retires and not pull a Phil Costa on us

1)  As some have said, he is on a one year prove it deal.  What has he proved?  They can get a rookie who does not cost what he does to be targeted one time in a game like he was yesterday.

2) To those suggesting he is struggling because he does not know the offense - really?  You honestly think that is the reason? 

3) If they do bring him back, and why would they and especially why would they offer him a long-term deal as some have suggested? 

The answer is clear at this point.  Your #14 Nicks Colts jersey will be a collector's item in 2015.

You must've forgot who the :colts: GM is........

Doubt Grigson would set us up like that and almost 10000% positive that Reggie Wayne would give us a heads up before he retires and not pull a Phil Costa on us

He'll likely let us know at the end of the season.  If he decides to give it another go, I assume we re-sign him short term for maybe 4 or 5 mil.  

With 7 games into the season, has Nicks proven anything yet? I was very excited about this signing because Nicks had the ability to take a 5-yard route and turn it into a 60-yard touchdown. But we've seen nothing of the sort.

So far, of our 1-year journeymen which included Avery, DHB, and now Nicks, Avery had contributed the most and we let him walk. I think the same will happen with Nicks, unless he gives the Colts a reason to stay. So far, there's been no reason to keep him around longer than his 1-year contract.

Kinda hard to prove your good when you never targeted.. nicks is a last resort for luck.. luck stares t.y and reggie down every play. If theyre not open then he checks it down to rbs or TEs.. people say nicks doesnt get open.. but with his size he is open more often then not. Throw it up and let him make a play

Nicks has been the biggest dissapoint to me for the Colts so far this year. I was really excited at his potential with Luck throwing to him.

At this point, the only ways I see us re-signing him is if he has a resurrection in the second half of the season or we can re-sign him really, really cheap.

As usual, Nicks goes to those who don't like him and stays to those who do. I don't think Nicks has had much of a chance to show what he can do. When he has been called upon he has produced. I don't see Luck looking his way much. Nick's don't have a case of the dropsies. He runs good routes. I think the Colts will keep him as long as he don't demand a big contract.

As usual, Nicks goes to those who don't like him and stays to those who do. I don't think Nicks has had much of a chance to show what he can do. When he has been called upon he has produced. I don't see Luck looking his way much. Nick's don't have a case of the dropsies. He runs good routes. I think the Colts will keep him as long as he don't demand a big contract.

Really coming here didn't make a lot of sense for him if he was trying to resurrect his career.  I mean he has the bonus of having Luck throwing to him but with TY and Reggie in the mix as well as Allen and Fleener, guy's Luck's been throwing to for 2 years (or in Fleener's case more) now, he's very much an afterthought.  

The targets that have gone his way often havn't been that great of throws.  I don't know if they are just desperation throws or if Luck's timing with him is off.  

Honestly I doubt that Nicks will want to stay with us unless he's left with no other choice.  

Plenty of teams out there that could use a veteran WR and he'd be no worse then the #2 option.  

Really coming here didn't make a lot of sense for him if he was trying to resurrect his career.  I mean he has the bonus of having Luck throwing to him but with TY and Reggie in the mix as well as Allen and Fleener, guy's Luck's been throwing to for 2 years (or in Fleener's case more) now, he's very much an afterthought.  

The targets that have gone his way often havn't been that great of throws.  I don't know if they are just desperation throws or if Luck's timing with him is off.  

Honestly I doubt that Nicks will want to stay with us unless he's left with no other choice.  

Plenty of teams out there that could use a veteran WR and he'd be no worse then the #2 option.  

You are right I think. Anything can happen though. He might be an injury away from making a difference.

That ain't it.

Why he signed with the Colts because we had a great QB in hopes of having a big year to so could get paid . Why would he resign to only get a few targets a game at most ? He's already voiced his frustration with his limited use in Indy .

I doubt he resigns with the Colts even if we want him too . He's going to find a team that will give him more playing time in hopes of being able to cash in on his next deal .

Why he signed with the Colts because we had a great QB in hopes of having a big year to so could get paid . Why would he resign to only get a few targets a game at most ? He's already voiced his frustration with his limited use in Indy .

My point is that there will be no cashing in on his next deal.  He has proven that even when healthy, he cannot run nor get separation any longer.  He is not the player he used to be.  Anyone else who signs him after the season will be doing so at the team's price, which will likely mean vet min or slightly above and a one year deal. 

Depends on what the price tag is as well as Grigson's draft strategy.  I thnk it will take until next season for Nicks to get integrated into the offensive flow.  I just don't see Nicks being very patient and I expect that he wants a bigger pay day.  Although his lack of production, will make for a weak market for him.  I would iike to see Grigson draft another young WR.  Reggie can't last forever and you have to keep the cupboard full of weapons for Luck.  While I like Griff Whalen as a utility guy, the more I see him returning kicks, the less I like him taking a roster spot.  

My point is that there will be no cashing in on his next deal.  He has proven that even when healthy, he cannot run nor get separation any longer.  He is not the player he used to be.  Anyone else who signs him after the season will be doing so at the team's price, which will likely mean vet min or slightly above and a one year deal. 

I agree his value has not increased here in Indy but would bet a team will give him plenty more than the vet min . He'll get something like Carolina offered him before he came to Indy .

I agree his value has not increased here in Indy but would bet a team will give him plenty more than the vet min . He'll get something like Carolina offered him before he came to Indy .

Based on what? What has a team seen from him to suggest he has something left?

Right now he probably doesn't want to re-sign here. He was clearly frustrated on the sidelines yesterday.

I'd re-sign him for the depth if affordable.  If Wayne retires, I am not at all comfortable with TY, Whalen and Moncrief.  But no way does he chose to re-sign.  Just too many targets (right now) here.

If Reggie Retires then he should resign. Honestly, I know I'm gonna get hate for this, but I kinda want Reggie to Retire after this year. The best case scenario is: We win the superbowl, Reggie rides off into the sunset, and we move forward with Hilton, Nicks and Moncrief.