Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Walden out

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of whether he had any intent to hit a ref or whatever the case, the rule says any contact with an official is an automatic ejection.  Furthermore, this isn't the first time he has had this happen to him in his career, so he should know better.  Regardless of what his intent was, he absolutely deserved to be ejected.  Gotta play smart and don't let your frustration get the best of you

Regardless of whether he had any intent to hit a ref or whatever the case, the rule says any contact with an official is an automatic ejection.  Furthermore, this isn't the first time he has had this happen to him in his career, so he should know better.  Regardless of what his intent was, he absolutely deserved to be ejected.  Gotta play smart and don't let your frustration get the best of you

Then start ejecting every player every time they touch an official regardless of what the intent was, if thats how it should be called then a lot of guys will start getting ejected soon. 

Then start ejecting every player every time they touch an official regardless of what the intent was, if thats how it should be called then a lot of guys will start getting ejected soon. 

He slapped the official's arm off of his shoulder.  I don't want to see him ejected, but he deserved it

No, he clearly had no idea who was hanging all over him, and assumed it was an opposing player. Thats how I'd react. If the ref doesn't want to be touched he shouldn't grab players from behind.

The Walden thing was ridiculous too. Power trip.

He does, and he did get ejected too. These players aren't supposed to be engaged in that behavior with an opponent, let alone an official.  penalties or ejections deserved, depending upon who was touched.

NO neither Walden or Kuechly deserved to be ejected. If the ref's are deemed "untouchable" then take a couple steps back and don't try to manhandle the players. This is a grown mans game with big guys and lots of testosterone. If you're going to jump in the middle and put your hands on them in the heat of the moment, then don't cry if you accidentally get pushed or shrugged off. It's a completely different story if a player intentionally goes after a ref but that was not the case in either situation. POOR CALLS!

No, he clearly had no idea who was hanging all over him, and assumed it was an opposing player. Thats how I'd react. If the ref doesn't want to be touched he shouldn't grab players from behind.

The Walden thing was ridiculous too. Power trip.

He shouldn't be acting like that anyway.  I don't agree with the rule, but if it's there, the players should be aware of it and adjust to it

Regardless of whether he had any intent to hit a ref or whatever the case, the rule says any contact with an official is an automatic ejection.

This isn't accurate. Unnecessary contact with an official is a personal foul. It's not an automatic ejection. The official may, at their discretion, eject the player if the circumstances warrant it. It didn't really look like Walden had much contact with the official but at this point it is what it is.

He touched a ref so by the rule he has to be ejected however I do not agree with the rule and think it should be amended.

IMO the players are not supposed to touch refs and it should be the other way around too .... refs should NOT be allowed to touch players!   IF they do, then the resulting contact should be excused if its not excessive!

As it is now, he should know better and never put himself into those situations.

(g) Unnecessary physical contact with a game official.

(g) above may result in disqualification and also will include discipline by the Commissioner. An official must see the entire action for a player to be disqualified.

"Under no condition is an official to allow a player to shove, push, or strike him in an offensive, disrespectful, or unsportsmanlike manner. Any such action must be reported to the Commissioner."

Penalty: (for a through h): Loss of 15 yards from the succeeding spot or whatever spot the Referee, after consulting with the crew, deems equitable. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2013%20-%20Rule%20Book.pdf

NO neither Walden or Kuechly deserved to be ejected. If the ref's are deemed "untouchable" then take a couple steps back and don't try to manhandle the players. This is a grown mans game with big guys and lots of testosterone. If you're going to jump in the middle and put your hands on them in the heat of the moment, then don't cry if you accidentally get pushed or shrugged off. It's a completely different story if a player intentionally goes after a ref but that was not the case in either situation. POOR CALLS!

This 100%

This isn't accurate. Unnecessary contact with an official is a personal foul. It's not an automatic ejection. The official may, at their discretion, eject the player if the circumstances warrant it. It didn't really look like Walden had much contact with the official but at this point it is what it is.

The rulebook states:

Any violation of (g) above may result in disqualification and also will include discipline by the Commissioner. An official must see the entire action for a player to be disqualified.

(g) being "Unnecessary physical contact with a game official"

So it sounds like it's more of a judgement call.  If a guy accidentally walks into the ref, that could be considered unnecessary contact, but the ref won't disqualify or penalize him. 

The rulebook also states:

Note 1: Under no condition is an official to allow a player to shove, push, or strike him in an offensive, disrespectful, or unsportsmanlike manner

So what Walden or Kuechly did can be considered shoving or acting disrespectful or unsportsmanlike.  Again, I don't agree with the rule, but if it's there, you have to be aware of it

If the ref doesnt want a heated up, blood pumping, behemoth to slap his arm away then keep your skrawny hands off of the physical specimens!

The refs are authority figures. They are effectively 'police' on the field. You don't touch a cop, ever, or you get ejected from society. 

In the Walden one, I believe the ref was trying to step in between Walden and Gresham to break them up, but Walden smacked the ref's hand off of his shoulder.  So he wasn't just jumping in the middle of a dogpile, he was trying to do his job and prevent a fight.

After looking at the Kuechly situation a few more times, I agree that it may have been harder for him to know whether it was an official or a player who was grabbing him, especially since a Packers player had just throw him one way.  So that one is more difficult to determine, but the Walden one is no question in my opinion

Like I mentioned in the game day thread. I agree with the ruling/ejection. My problem comes with the consistency of the call. How many time in a loose ball pile do you see players pulling and tugging on the officials? Often...by rule they should be ejected as well...

That said, Walden isn't the cleanest player out there

If that's the rule then he deserved to be thrown out.  My point is they don't call that consistent at all, so it's very unfair to penalize Walden, when he wasn't immediately threatening any1.  Then Gresham gets away with his antics with the refs right there taunting him... SMH, if Walden gets suspended instead of just a fine my head will be rolling after what we all saw Burfict do last week, and no suspension.

just like a cop has no right to touch you unless you are doing something unlawful. And there was,nothing seen of walden doing anything unlawful

He was engaging an opposing player after the play was over. That will have refs getting between them physically every time. Walden is known for his extracurricular activities. 

Walden deserved what he got. I'm happy, excited actually, that he got tossed. Hopefully this may prevent a more serious penalty in the late/post season. 

So it sounds like it's more of a judgement call.

Correct, ejection is a judgement call.

The rulebook also states:

Note 1: Under no condition is an official to allow a player to shove, push, or strike him in an offensive, disrespectful, or unsportsmanlike manner

So what Walden or Kuechly did can be considered shoving or acting disrespectful or unsportsmanlike. Again, I don't agree with the rule, but if it's there, you have to be aware of it

That note ends by saying any such action should be reported to the commissioner. It doesn't state that such action warrants an automatic ejection. So again this is a judgment call. The rule is there, but it is definitely up to the discretion of the official whether or not Walden should have been ejected.

Correct, ejection is a judgement call.

That note ends by saying any such action should be reported to the commissioner. It doesn't state that such action warrants an automatic ejection. So again this is a judgment call. The rule is there, but it is definitely up to the discretion of the official whether or not Walden should have been ejected.

True.  That's my mistake.  I thought it was an automatic ejection

True.  That's my mistake.  I thought it was an automatic ejection

Then again, ya know why Werner didn't get ejected?

He didn't touch a ref. Don't touch the ref. A particularly easy rule to obey. I have this very tiny violin I was gonna play for Walden, but I simply cannot seem to find it. 

music-smiley-019.gif