Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One amazing stat for our defense

RockThatBlue

and its only gonna get better with guys like jones and hopefully butler back and our o-line getting healthy.

I do agree that the defense will be better off overall with Jones and Butler back on the field. However, as far as the third down stops are concerned, I would expect those stats to start going down some over time. I just think it is unrealistic to expect them to maintain that for much longer. I give huge props to those guys for what they've done the last three weeks, and I do expect them to continue to do well on third downs (just not to the same degree that we've been seeing). Over the past 6 games, I believe our opponents have averaged 30% on third down conversions. I'll be thrilled if we can keep it below 50% through the full course of the season.

All of this is probably obvious to most of you. I just can't help but think that when things start to even out, many people will overreact and start calling to fire the coaches again.

I do agree that the defense will be better off overall with Jones and Butler back on the field. However, as far as the third down stops are concerned, I would expect those stats to start going down some over time. I just think it is unrealistic to expect them to maintain that for much longer. I give huge props to those guys for what they've done the last three weeks, and I do expect them to continue to do well on third downs (just not to the same degree that we've been seeing). Over the past 6 games, I believe our opponents have averaged 30% on third down conversions. I'll be thrilled if we can keep it below 50% through the full course of the season.

All of this is probably obvious to most of you. I just can't help but think that when things start to even out, many people will overreact and start calling to fire the coaches again.

oh no. those stats will go up, but its just a testament to how far our defense has come. their no longer the walking mat they use to be

I can tell you right now....

The MVP of this D is the O's ability to control "time of possession" ...   the Colt O is our D's best pal right now.

Flip the script and true colors will emerge.....  Or let water find it's level..      This D is not "this" good.....

First defense since 1992 to only give up 1 first down in 3 straight games. Give it up for our defense guys, thats truly amazing.

Henne, Bortles, Whitehurst, Flacco, and Fitzpatrick....   they just don't put the fear of "anyone" in anyone.....

What was the number against Manning and Foles?     I love the way this D is playing but they are playing FRESH and RESTED.

If the O continues to "do what they do" ...    It will be GREAT ..  But the schedule ramps up starting this week.

Doesn't even seem possible.

Below 50%? Anywhere close to 50% would be awful. I will be disappointed if we end up above 40%

The aggressive play calling and blitzing has been a huge factor on 3rd down, QB's have to throw it a second or two faster then they normally do. Back shoulder fades and passes to RB's has been the only thing working and fades are difficult passes. We have great CB play, I'll take my chances blitzing and leaving Davis on an island then I will rushing just four and playing it safe.

Below 50%? Anywhere close to 50% would be awful. I will be disappointed if we end up above 40%

Yeah I was thinking the average was about 50%, but I looked it up and average is around 40%. So if we can keep it below 40% then I'll be happy. I guess I should have done some quick research before I posted. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah I was thinking the average was about 50%, but I looked it up and average is around 40%. I guess I should have done some quick research before I posted. Thanks for pointing that out.

Detroit was ranked first last year at 30.33% and they're currently in second at 31.25%. The Colts are currently at the top at 29.69% but only 10.71% in the last three, which is miles ahead of everyone else. However, that also means that they averaged 44.44% in their first three games. I guess it's possible for them to keep it down around 30% at the end of the season, but I don't think it's very likely. I like direction the defense is headed, but they're not consistent enough yet for me to believe that they can maintain those numbers. I'll be happy if they're at 40% by the end of the season, and I would be thrilled if they can manage anything below that.

The aggressive play calling and blitzing has been a huge factor on 3rd down, QB's have to throw it a second or two faster then they normally do. Back shoulder fades and passes to RB's has been the only thing working and fades are difficult passes. We have great CB play, I'll take my chances blitzing and leaving Davis on an island then I will rushing just four and playing it safe.

That's it - we have good corners and on third downs they are playing tight knowing Odds are very good that I only have to play coverage for 3 seconds so I don't have to really worry about the deep ball or the double move. I just have to give the appearance of covered to the quarterback for a split second as he rushes through his progressions because he knows he doesn't have much time at all.