Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning And The Beat Goes On.

King Colt

I think Peyton Manning should never be allowe to go near water. It would only prove that he can walk on it! Another record yesterday as he just does not know how to stop being great.  Whoever said "records are meant to be broken" may want to reconsider after Manning hangs it up. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest threats to his records, especially the touchdown record, are the increasingly unbalanced rules favoring the passing game and the possible expansion of the season to 18 or more games.

Having said that I think it is going to be a challenge for anyone to reach him because I would not be at all surprised to see him raise the record to well above 600.

He certainly is like a fine wine but there is NO doubt in my mind all his records get broken in the near future...this league has changed mightily...and he has benefited too but more so in the later stages of his career. Heck Luck may even be the one to break them...but certainly Brady and Brees will be close behind him if not eclipse him as well. That said he made some beautiful passes yesterday.

He certainly is like a fine wine but there is NO doubt in my mind all his records get broken in the near future...this league has changed mightily...and he has benefited too but more so in the later stages of his career. Heck Luck may even be the one to break them...but certainly Brady and Brees will be close behind him if not eclipse him as well. That said he made some beautiful passes yesterday.

Brady being 1 year younger than Manning will be really challenged to come anywhere close to Manning . Figuring Manning plays one more year and they both throw the same amount of TD's , that would leave Brady to make up around 135 TD's after playing his season at 38 years old. Brees at 35 could possibly approach Manning.

Brady being 1 year younger than Manning will be really challenged to come anywhere close to Manning . Figuring Manning plays one more year and they both throw the same amount of TD's , that would leave Brady to make up around 135 TD's after playing his season at 38 years old. Brees at 35 could possibly approach Manning.

The biggest obstacle for Brady is that he is a full three seasons behind Manning. Manning came into the league in 1998 as a rookie starter. Brady did not become a starter until he was 24 in 2001. Both missed one entire season due to injury which leaves Manning still three seasons ahead. If Brady ever gets a chance to recoup those seasons, he has a chance to surpass Manning but I think both may go out around the same time.

The biggest obstacle for Brady is that he is a full three seasons behind Manning. Manning came into the league in 1998 as a rookie starter. Brady did not become a starter until he was 24 in 2001. Both missed one entire season due to injury which leaves Manning still three seasons ahead. If Brady ever gets a chance to recoup those seasons, he has a chance to surpass Manning but I think both may go out around the same time.

There is a reason he was holding clip boards. So there is nothing to recoup.

Thats pretty rough....although Tom Brady starting as a rookie and not getting the chance to sit and learn could very well have turned out like many other qbs when pressed to action too soon...struggled, developed bad habits, lost confidence. That said doubting Tom Brady is pretty foolish it seems...no matter how much people around here like to do it. He probably would have stepped right in and played just like Russell Wilson. No matter Tom has some very very impressive stats like his TD to INT ratio that imo are just as impressive if not more as well.

One year of holding a clip board but he also was in college an extra year too. It is what it is but Manning's numbers do reflect three more seasons of games played and it is amazing that Brady is as close as he given NE was not an offensive focused team from '01-06. Maybe he will get a chance to recoup those 3 seasons. We'll see.

One year of holding a clip board but he also was in college an extra year too. It is what it is but Manning's numbers do reflect three more seasons of games played and it is amazing that Brady is as close as he given NE was not an offensive focused team from '01-06. Maybe he will get a chance to recoup those 3 seasons. We'll see.

It's two seasons to recoup not three. He is a year younger... You can count the extra year in college and the year on the bench , how you are adding the 3rd year is beyond me.

Brady averages 28 TD per season and Peyton 33 if that helps any. I did throw the TDs in 2014 into those #'s so not exact.

Thats pretty rough....although Tom Brady starting as a rookie and not getting the chance to sit and learn could very well have turned out like many other qbs when pressed to action too soon...struggled, developed bad habits, lost confidence. That said doubting Tom Brady is pretty foolish it seems...no matter how much people around here like to do it. He probably would have stepped right in and played just like Russell Wilson. No matter Tom has some very very impressive stats like his TD to INT ratio that imo are just as impressive if not more as well.

I have said this before but Brady defies all logic. He was not just the best draft steal of all time, he is an enigma as well. No one saw him coming. Manning with the football pedigree was supposed to achieve all that he has the number one overall pick. Brady was supposed to hold a clip board his entire career. I think that is why he gets doubted so often because people still don't believe a sixth round pick with his combine numbers and scouting report has achieved what he has.

It's two seasons to recoup not three. He is a year younger... You can count the extra year in college and the year on the bench , how you are adding the 3rd year is beyond me.

'98, '99, 2000 are three years. Brady started in 2001. He was drafted in 2000. He did have the extra year in college and I believe Manning was starter at age 21 right, not 22?

'98, '99, 2000 are three years. Brady started in 2001. He was drafted in 2000. He did have the extra year in college and I believe Manning was starter at age 21 right, not 22?

No Peyton 22 years and 5 months. Brady 23 years and 1 month. So 8 months difference in age when had first start.

No Peyton 22 years and 5 months. Brady 23 years and 1 month.

I am not sure then where the other year is from but Peyton has played three more seasons, 98, 99 00. It might be that they are closer to 18 months apart which is two football seasons (Peyton was drafted in '98 and Brady in '00). And then you have the fact that Brady was not a starter until his second season which was '01. That equals three seasons.

I am not sure then where the other year is from but Peyton has played three more seasons, 98, 99 00. It might be that they are closer to 18 months apart which is two football seasons (Peyton was drafted in '98 and Brady in '00). And then you have the fact that Brady was not a starter until his second season which was '01. That equals three seasons.

One season cause Peyton played as a rookie. I season as Brady was in college 5 years and Peyton 4. One season cause Peyton is 38 and Bray 37. That's your 3 seasons. What I'm saying is that you don't count the years or year in this case that a player is older and call it a "lost season." If Brady retires in the same year that Peyton does , that does't mean that Brady was "slighted" in any way. It just means that Manning had more "longevity." When you compare records like this how long a player stays good is always a factor. An exception I can think of might be Ted Williams. 

Anyway ... Brady will not catch Manning nor will he ever make up the 5 TD's less per year he has averaged up to this point. You can spin it anyway you like , but your not going to win this one with crazy logic.

I have said this before but Brady defies all logic. He was not just the best draft steal of all time, he is an enigma as well. No one saw him coming. Manning with the football pedigree was supposed to achieve all that he has the number one overall pick. Brady was supposed to hold a clip board his entire career. I think that is why he gets doubted so often because people still don't believe a sixth round pick with his combine numbers and scouting report has achieved what he has.

Equally impressive if you ask me....the pressure that Peyton plays under could have been just as hard to overcome as Tom having no expectations and achieving so much. These two are simply just special players that mirror each other in more ways then people believe. They may play totally differently etc but deep inside is the same thing that makes them both great....its impressive!

One season cause Peyton played as a rookie. I season as Brady was in college 5 years and Peyton 4. One season cause Peyton is 38 and Bray 37. That's your 3 seasons. What I'm saying is that you don't count the years or year in this case that a player is older and call it a "lost season." If Brady retires in the same year that Peyton does , that does't mean that Brady was "slighted" in any way. It just means that Manning had more "longevity." When you compare records like this how long a player stays good is always a factor. An exception I can think of might be Ted Williams. 

Anyway ... Brady will not catch Manning nor will he ever make up the 5 TD's less per year he has averaged up to this point. You can spin it anyway you like , but your not going to win this one with crazy logic.

I agree with you...whether someone became good enough to start faster than someone else or remained competitive longer etc this is a career record...you can't discount Peyton because he was talented enough to start right away....fought through those young learning years and has now also seen a boost at the end with a rejuvination of sorts changing team. Toms numbers though are incredibly incredibly impressive. Especially the 06/07/08 years etc he was clearly top qb in the league. Who knows...Tom may play 4 or 5 more season longer than Peyton and break his records or imo Drew will likely catch Peyton. Nobody is saying well Brett Farve had an extra 50 some odd games to throw his TDs so Peyton is more deserving etc....this is just a pure number...however long it takes to get there doesn't matter...its a testiment to a career...nor does it mean the player holding it was the greatest qb or anything...

I was not making excuses. It is what it is. All time numbers are generally achieved by playing for a long time. Favre played for 20 years and he began late as a starter as well. Brady wants to play well into his 40's. We will see if he does and how long Manning's health holds as well as I think he would play into his 40's as well. But I brought up the three seasons as most think it is only one season that separates them because of their ages. Like I said, it is amazing Brady is as close as he is given his late start and the fact that the Pats were not an offensively focused team from 01-06.

It's two seasons to recoup not three. 

Not following you.

1. 1998

2. 1999

3. 2000

Manning was the Colts' starter in all three of those seasons, correct?

Brady took over for Bledsoe and started the third game of the 2001 season.

They've each missed one full year (well, Brady played about half a quarter in 2008) to injury. 

So... 3 seasons, no?

Brady is 150-45 as a starter (.769 winning percentage). Manning is 170-74 (.697) with Indy/Denver. So Brady's played 195 career games, Manning has played 244, for a difference of 49 games. That's 3+ regular seasons. 

It doesn't matter either way. Brady isn't breaking any of Manning's career passing records. 

I'm gonna be honest here. It was cool to see Manning get over 500 TDs in his illustrious career, but I would liked to see him do it without any picks, but the Broncos did win the game & I really don't like Brett Favre so I want to see that that record obliterated. Favre who? Oh, you mean Mr. training camp crybaby & the interception king.  :lol:

I know I'm hard on Peyton sometimes, but that's only because I know how great he really is. It was cool to see 18 do that remarkable feat yesterday. Bravo Manning! 

They better get that running game fixed before the playoffs

Absolutely right BOTT. Start Hillman & Anderson & put RB Ball on 3rd string. I know 18 likes Montee on pass protection, but he continues to under impress me in the running game. 

Peyton needs a decent running game to take pressure off him & keep him healthy avoiding unnecessary hits. Yes, I know 18 has a fast ball release, but given his age, Peyton needs 4-6 yards per carry in late Nov. & early Dec. Yes Manning can still win, but with a up & down ground game, you're not doing Manning any favors. 

Absolutely right BOTT. Start Hillman & Anderson & put RB Ball on 3rd string. I know 18 likes Montee on pass protection, but he continues to under impress me in the running game.

Peyton needs a decent running game to take pressure off him & keep him healthy avoiding unnecessary hits. Yes, I know 18 has a fast ball release, but given his age, Peyton needs 4-6 yards per carry in late Nov. & early Dec. Yes Manning can still win, but with a up & down ground game, you're not doing Manning any favors.

I think ball is injured, so you might get your wish

Not following you.

1. 1998

2. 1999

3. 2000

Manning was the Colts' starter in all three of those seasons, correct?

Brady took over for Bledsoe and started the third game of the 2001 season.

They've each missed one full year (well, Brady played about half a quarter in 2008) to injury.

So... 3 seasons, no?

Brady is 150-45 as a starter (.769 winning percentage). Manning is 170-74 (.697) with Indy/Denver. So Brady's played 195 career games, Manning has played 244, for a difference of 49 games. That's 3+ regular seasons.

It doesn't matter either way. Brady isn't breaking any of Manning's career passing records.

Manning is a year older. So Brady has to make up that season on the back end. So its two seasons

Manning is a year older. So Brady has to make up that season on the back end. So its two seasons

I'm not talking about their ages... age is kind of irrelevant in this scenario. Guys retire at whatever age they're at. Manning could retire at 40 and Brady could play until he's 43, or vice-versa. 

I'm talking about the number of games/seasons they've played. It's not really a matter of debate - we're talking about numbers here. Manning has started 49 more regular season games than Brady. Which translates to three full seasons plus one game. 

I'm not talking about their ages... age is kind of irrelevant in this scenario. Guys retire at whatever age they're at. Manning could retire at 40 and Brady could play until he's 43, or vice-versa.

I'm talking about the number of games/seasons they've played. It's not really a matter of debate - we're talking about numbers here. Manning has started 49 more regular season games than Brady. Which translates to three full seasons plus one game.

i think the point that was being made was the two years of games came because of staying an extra year of school and sitting behind bleadsoe. If peyton plays till 40 and brady plays till 40 then peyton will have two years of extra games

Speaking of Brady, congratulations on joining the 50,000 club too. I have mutual respect for Tom. When he gets ticked off, he's a machine man. Where are all the Brady washed up nay sayers now? He looked spectacular last night against that primer Bengals D. 

You just know BB wanted to rub the media's nose in the dominating blowout last night & I don't blame him. He didn't because he's above such pettiness. The mastermind reminds the NFL why he's coached in 5 SBs & won 3 of them. He doesn't panic & that why I admire him so much. Over a decade of team domination in Foxboro doesn't just fall from the sky. It's all about calmness & the ability to adapt & make adjustments. 

I doubt he gets to recoup those seasons.  

The team around him is getting worse, not better which doesn't bode well for him playing for a really long time.

At the same time Peyton's team around him has gotten better and while I don't expect him to throw TD's at the clip he did last season, he's still going to be throwing TD's at a pretty good clip that is going to be hard for Brady to match.

Add that to the fact that Peyton's given about much indication of wanting to retire as Brady has.  (Peyton said that he thought Brady's quote of "I'll play until I suck" was a pretty good way of determining when to retire.  

Honestly I can't think of anyone who might be able to break Peyton's career TD record anytime soon.  Brees maybe, he sat for 1 season (Manning was injured for 1) but Brees first 2 seasons that he started he threw for under 20 TD's.  He's currently at 372 and is 131 TD's behind Manning while being 3 years younger.  To catch up he'd have to throw 43.666 each season for the next 3 seasons just to catch up to where Manning is now.

Rodgers sat for 3 seasons is currently at 200.  He is 7 seasons behind Manning and would have to throw an average of 43.29 over the next 7 seasons to catch up where Manning is now.

Brady is at 365 and he would have to play several years longer then Manning.

The young QB's all have a chance. But I don't see any of his contemporaries (Brady, Brees, Rodgers) being able to catch that mark, unless somehow they are able to play 2 to 3 more years min then he's played.

And remember he's not done and he's gonna be throwing TD's at a good clip from now until retirement.   

I don't see where you are coming from with the comment that he gets doubted so often. I cant recall anyone who talks the NFL has any doubts that Brady is a great QB. Even the Patriot fans had doubt he would be any good when he took Bledsoe's place when he did. But other than that your kinda off base in your assessment.

Bart Starr is the biggest draft steal of all time.

i think the point that was being made was the two years of games came because of staying an extra year of school and sitting behind bleadsoe. If peyton plays till 40 and brady plays till 40 then peyton will have two years of extra games

Gotcha. 

Gotcha. 

Just got back online and Ivan pretty much answered for me. Yeah... I mean if you want to say Ted Wiliams spent 4 years serving his country while some of the other guys of the same era spent 1 or 2 (today's players... none), I'm all ears. But If manning can play till he's 40 and Brady can play till he's 39 , that can't (IMO) be used for an argument favoring Brady.

I was not making excuses. It is what it is. All time numbers are generally achieved by playing for a long time. Favre played for 20 years and he began late as a starter as well. Brady wants to play well into his 40's. We will see if he does and how long Manning's health holds as well as I think he would play into his 40's as well. But I brought up the three seasons as most think it is only one season that separates them because of their ages. Like I said, it is amazing Brady is as close as he is given his late start and the fact that the Pats were not an offensively focused team from 01-06.

And I agree that there is a two year swing . Although the extra year of maturity  should have maybe given Brady a shot to start in year 1. It's not Manning's fault that Brady never really won the job in college and that he never hit the weight room then and he was a 6th round pick. Yes Manning had an advantage in his rookie year as he was picked 1.1. If he achieved the same thing as Brady did in college and was scrawny looking , he wouldn't have started as a rookie either. But I'm willing to give you the two years , just think it's a little lame to add a "lost year" to his stats as you did because he's a year younger. If he can't make up that year , it will be because he doesn't have the skill to play at the same age as PM did or he didn't have the same drive , desire and love for the game. 

I don't see where you are coming from with the comment that he gets doubted so often. I cant recall anyone who talks the NFL has any doubts that Brady is a great QB. Even the Patriot fans had doubt he would be any good when he took Bledsoe's place when he did. But other than that your kinda off base in your assessment.

Read any of the Boston media this past week or listen to any of the sports talk shows ... :(

And I agree that there is a two year swing . Although the extra year of maturity  should have maybe given Brady a shot to start in year 1. It's not Manning's fault that Brady never really won the job in college and that he never hit the weight room then and he was a 6th round pick. Yes Manning had an advantage in his rookie year as he was picked 1.1. If he achieved the same thing as Brady did in college and was scrawny looking , he wouldn't have started as a rookie either. But I'm willing to give you the two years , just think it's a little lame to add a "lost year" to his stats as you did because he's a year younger. If he can't make up that year , it will be because he doesn't have the skill to play at the same age as PM did or he didn't have the same drive , desire and love for the game. 

I am not making some excuse for Brady other than to say Manning has played 3 more seasons which is why there is such a gap in their stats. Most think there is only a one year difference.

I really think Luck will probably have the best chance at catching Manning barring injury.

Read any of the Boston media this past week or listen to any of the sports talk shows ... :(

That was just a knee jerk reaction to the loss. The media just looks and brews anything it can to keep the fans in an uproar. I have no clue on how the Pats will do the rest of the season. They play in a pretty poor division so they should take care of business as far as that goes. The Pats right along with the larger part of the AFC are really close in records so anything is possible. Sometimes I feel the media is worse than two old jags gossiping across the fence.