Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tv Coverage Of Colts/panthers Game

shecolt

I was very disappointed to find out that I would not be able to watch the game today. Since I live near Ft. Wayne, this has never happened to me before during the regular season.

When I looked at the coverage map, I saw that the game was televised in North Carolina and South Carolina and in the Indy and Evansville viewing areas.

Now, I know that some may consider not being able to watch a Colt's game this year to be a blessing. But, I was very sad. :( I wanted to watch this game.

Just wondering if anyone knows why this game wasn't available to a larger portion of the Indiana viewing area. And, if this may mean that I will not be able to watch any further games.

Although, missing the Colts/Patriots game would probably be a blessing.

I was very disappointed to find out that I would not be able to watch the game today. Since I live near Ft. Wayne, this has never happened to me before during the regular season.

When I looked at the coverage map, I saw that the game was televised in North Carolina and South Carolina and in the Indy and Evansville viewing areas.

Now, I know that some may consider not being able to watch a Colt's game this year to be a blessing. But, I was very sad. :( I wanted to watch this game.

Just wondering if anyone knows why this game wasn't available to a larger portion of the Indiana viewing area. And, if this may mean that I will not be able to watch any further games.

This is probably because Indy was on FOX and Ft. Wayne is probably considered to be in the Chicago market. CBS had the double header today so FOX was only able to show one game and that was most likely the Bears game at 4.

This is probably because Indy was on FOX and Ft. Wayne is probably considered to be in the Chicago market. CBS had the double header today so FOX was only able to show one game and that was most likely the Bears game at 4.

That makes sense. Thank you.

Usually the Colts get favored over the Bears in the Fort Wayne market, but I could understand why they wouldn't this time.

The league decides what markets get which games. Clearly they try to serve the whole area the best they can I don't think anyone would question this and pretty much they have to deal with the fact that Indiana (especially outside of Indianapolis) is also Bears country and today was a single game day on Fox so they could either air the Colts game or the Bears game but not both. Since the Colts are pretty much done and the Bears are fighting for a playoff birth the league sent the rest of the state the Bears game. Just another sign of what a long year this has been for the boys in blue. Bummer I know but that would be the reason.

Don't live in the country, but I can tell you this. You can go to some local hangouts/bars if they dont show the game, cause they're bound to show it at the places i mentioned.

That's true, Andy. But, I was stuck in an emergency room with my mother (who seems to be OK now). The one bright spot was that there was a TV in that room. So, I was really hoping to watch the Colt's game. Not being able to do so just made my day even more depressing.

But, I do understand now why the game wasn't shown. As GoColts said, "Bummer".

That's true, Andy. But, I was stuck in an emergency room with my mother (who seems to be OK now). The one bright spot was that there was a TV in that room. So, I was really hoping to watch the Colt's game. Not being able to do so just made my day even more depressing.

But, I do understand now why the game wasn't shown. As GoColts said, "Bummer".

Good to hear that your mother's doing fine. Why wasn't it shown?

2000th post

That's not true. While the league does have rules on when a game must be shown, there are many scenarios where it is up to CBS/Fox or the local affiliate on which game they show.

Right. The league only requires the network (FOX) televising the game to show the game in the visiting team home and certain seconday markets and also in the home team's market and certain secondary markets provided the game is a sellout and meets the league's blackout rules for a home telecast. Ft Wayne is a Colts secondary market but isn't required to show Colts games so they are free to show another game of their choosing from the same network (but not in the same time slot as the Colts home game).

The only exception to this rule I have seen in the past forty years is this weeks Broncos at Vikings game. The visiting team will be the Broncos (CBS televises the game when a AFC team is the visitor and FOX televises the game when a NFC team is the visitor), FOX will televise the game even though an AFC team (Broncos) is the visitor because, ironically enough, the Colts at Pats game has been moved from Sunday Night to Sunday afternoon necessitating that change.

Me,too...she....We get Colts games out of SB ..and they both gave us the NY state civil war: Buffalo-Jets

..which was only slightly more interesting than reruns of Kojak on the oldies channell..

I didnt like it but it was 2-8 v. 0-10....and they put on the game they feel most will watch..

TV folks still dont consider Northern Indiana real Colts country.....

Where were are..an 0-10 Bears game gets on.....

http://profootballta...-plug-on-colts/

sorta made some waves. They're saying it was a middle finger of sorts to the team for this seasons performance. I dunno about that.

Thanks Fish.....

It wasnt CBS /.it was FOX..and UP HERE THEY'RE ALWAYS GOING TO CHOOSE THE BEAS OVER THE COLTS.

Its 'wonderful' to see the Colts will be back on the next two weeks on CBS...for must carry beatdowns at NE and

..at Baltimore :sad:

coltsNoAirShow.jpg

Found a Yahoo article attesting to the same thing. It is currently on the front page of Yahoo news. How embarrassing for the TV station!

http://sports.yahoo....urn=nfl-wp12732

---------

"The Fox channel had the rights to the Colts' home game, but it could only broadcast one game because CBS had the doubleheader Sunday. Indiana's NewsCenter chose the late-afternoon Chicago Bears game at Oakland over the Colts' 27-19 loss that dropped them to 0-11.

"The buck stops with me," Jerry Giesler, president and general manager of Indiana's NewsCenter, said in a telephone interview."We talked a lot about it internally. Of course, the year in, year out logical choice would be the Colts. Absolutely, no question. The reason we went with the Bears was to follow the compelling story, their (playoff) hopes alive, a new quarterback."

---------

So basically, they admitted we suck. We suck so bad, we're not even fit to be on television. The question that begs to be asked is will we not be able to watch the next Colts game?...

I expected that there would be a lot of Colt's fans who would be upset about this, but I didn't think it would draw the attention of the national media.

Although the "Fort Worth" comment has now been edited, that made me laugh as I was referring to the city as "Fort Worthless" or "Fort Lame" last Sunday.

Some of the comments that were made to these articles are so off base. Those who said this area has more Bear's fans are wrong. Yes, there are a lot of Bear's fans; but I would guess that Colt's fans outnumber them 10-l.

The most disturbing comments are the ones that blame the fans for this. Don't people read? The fans had no say. They weren't given a choice.

Even though the decision not to air this game in the Fort Wayne market was a just another negative in a season full of negatives and gave the Colts another "black eye", I am glad that this has drawn so much attention. Maybe FOX and CBS will not be so quick to pull the plug on future Colt's games.

The Colts broke into an already saturated NFL market back in 84. Lions, Bears, Browns, Bengals, and Packers all in a very tight radius.

It took Peyton Manning and a lot of winning to win the favor of the FW market.... but they never took it over. Loyalties in this sport are tough to break. FW was "Never" a "Colt" market.......

And this is a reason Irsay will not pizz around about correcting this mess.