Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive Line Grading

Gavin

I found this below  link wrote out by former offensive lineman Ross Tucker to be excellent insight into how some coaches grade an offensive lineman. Tucker played for 3 teams in the NFL There is a quote or two in there that would SURPRISE some/many fans.

Very interesting and informative read for those who take the time to read it

http://mmqb.si.com/2...linemen-grades/

I enjoyed the read.  Thanks for posting.  The line that really stuck out to me was how left guards typically grade out higher than right guards because of how teams scheme to protect the blindside.  While that may be obvious, I suppose I never really connected the dots that it woudl result in a left guard grading out higher.

Did our GM use PFF to base how much he was willing to pay Gosder I wonder? ;-)

Situational signing. We needed a RT. Even an average RT would have improved the team. Gosder was the best on the market, and in my opinion was an important signing.

I can also understand why some people are not happy, but the reality is, who do we have on the team that could have done better? Who do we have that can/could play close to the level of Cherilus?

One other note is teams usually do not draft right tackles. They draft left tackles, and if the player cannot play on the left side then they are moved to the right side.

One could certainly argue what we paid too much, and it is a plausible argument. That said, we got a proven player at a position that we needed, and Cherilus was the highest rated (by the so called experts in the media) right guard on the market. 

Situational signing. We needed a RT. Even an average RT would have improved the team. Gosder was the best on the market, and in my opinion was an important signing.

I can also understand why some people are not happy, but the reality is, who do we have on the team that could have done better? Who do we have that can/could play close to the level of Cherilus?

One other note is teams usually do not draft right tackles. They draft left tackles, and if the player cannot play on the left side then they are moved to the right side.

One could certainly argue what we paid too much, and it is a plausible argument. That said, we got a proven player at a position that we needed, and Cherilus was the highest rated (by the so called experts in the media) right guard on the market.

Gosder was absolutely not the best on the market. He was a very good player tho.

Once we reduce his 2016 and 2017 base salaries to market value of around $3M/yr. his total contract will average $5.3M/yr.  That will turn out to be a square deal on a solid player, and won't be the premium cost everyone thinks we are paying for him.

I don't know, but what's the issue?

Gosder turned out to be a very good signing.    He's played well for us for 20 games......

Gosder was not good as a pass blocker last season and is if anything worse this season.

He graded well last season as a run blocker based on about 40 running plays of which one Great cut/run by Bradshaw and a couple good longer runs by D Brown Distorted the ypc he was given credit for.

His run blocking this season so far has been very mediocre.

The guy graded high his contract year and this is what WE Got. Not a good buy at all.

I remember that FA class and I wanted Vollmer over Cherilus. After watching the Patriots play these past few weeks im glad we stuck with Cherilus lol

I remember that FA class and I wanted Vollmer over Cherilus. After watching the Patriots play these past few weeks im glad we stuck with Cherilus lol

Vollmer is the one guy that hasn't been a problem for them. I think he's been better than Cherilus this year, for less money. But still, Vollmer was unlikely to leave New England, and had serious injury concerns. It's kind of a shrug all the way around, IMO.

Vollmer is the one guy that hasn't been a problem for them. I think he's been better than Cherilus this year, for less money. But still, Vollmer was unlikely to leave New England, and had serious injury concerns. It's kind of a shrug all the way around, IMO.

Idk if he was like this any other game but Houston and Hali last week work him over. He eventually got benched for Marcus Cannon. You are right i don't think he would have left. Plus I heard Cherilus was Grigsons number one right tackle that offseason.

Idk if he was like this any other game but Houston and Hali last week work him over. He eventually got benched for Marcus Cannon. You are right i don't think he would have left. Plus I heard Cherilus was Grigsons number one right tackle that offseason.

Cannon came in on the left side.  I didn't finish that game play by play, so not sure it stayed that way, but he came in for Solder.

i highly doubt it

You can highly doubt whatever you want.

From Chris Collinsworth

"The deal came together in a couple of months this summer, culminating last week. “What really impressed me,’’ said Collinsworth, “is the fact that 13 NFL teams have contracted with Pro Football Focus for their data. I mean, I have been around the NFL for over 30 years, I know how hard it is to get behind the wall of those teams. And they’ve got 13 teams to trust their data. That’s huge.’’

So, like I said, I would not be surprised if Grigson and his staff look at PFF or some other analytics but I guarantee you the player agents do.

You can highly doubt whatever you want.

From Chris Collinsworth

"The deal came together in a couple of months this summer, culminating last week. “What really impressed me,’’ said Collinsworth, “is the fact that 13 NFL teams have contracted with Pro Football Focus for their data. I mean, I have been around the NFL for over 30 years, I know how hard it is to get behind the wall of those teams. And they’ve got 13 teams to trust their data. That’s huge.’’

So, like I said, I would not be surprised if Grigson and his staff look at PFF or some other analytics but I guarantee you the player agents do.

I am sure they have useful data. Just not their gradings