Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Chapman

lollygagger8

I really haven't heard his name mentioned this season. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? 

Has he been the 900 lb safe in the middle of the field that Pagano called him? 

Like offensive linemen, 2-gap NTs rarely get their name called unless they make an outstanding play or a monumental screw up.  So I'd say the fact we're not hearing his name much means he's doing his job.  Perhaps not going above and beyond yet, but doing his job.  

I havent seen much of him this year.  Is it because Kerr is doing so well?

From what I've noticed, Kerr seems to play mostly in sub packages.  When I've seen him in the base defense it was at either DE or DT, not NT.  Hughes is the one I've seen primarily subbing in for Chapman at NT in the base defense.

Eating up double teams and shutting down runs up the middle is disappointing? Interesting. He isn't and never will be a pass rushing threat. Although he does push the pocket time to time.

He hasn't been good in the run game. And that's where his only value is.

He hasn't been good in the run game. And that's where his only value is.

I haven't paid much attention to him, how has he not been good in the run game?  I do watch the linebackers and it seems that often times the LB is unblocked able to meet the RB at or near the LOS which usually indicates the dline is keeping the blockers occupied.

I haven't paid much attention to him, how has he not been good in the run game? I do watch the linebackers and it seems that often times the LB is unblocked able to meet the RB at or near the LOS which usually indicates the dline is keeping the blockers occupied.

He doesn't seem to hold his ground when double-teamed as well as he did last year. Also, he doesn't seem to be able to take advantage of 1 on 1 matche-ups. I wonder if he's nursing some type of injury?

He doesn't seem to hold his ground when double-teamed as well as he did last year. Also, he doesn't seem to be able to take advantage of 1 on 1 matche-ups. I wonder if he's nursing some type of injury?

I agree with that. I wouldn't call him disappointing, but he's not getting penetration and is getting pushed back a little bit, usually against double teams. There's still usually nowhere to run up the middle, so he deserves some credit for that.

Subjective PFF ratings? He has a -2.7 pass rusher grade. :)

I like alot of what PFF does, I'm not sure their NT grades are worth anything at all.

Do you know his run stopping grade by any chance?? I heard he had a bad pass rushing grade but i never knew what his run stopping grade was.

I believe you subscribe to these websites?

Do you know what his grade is against the run?

Another poster only gave his grade against the pass...........

I would prefer Zach Kerr at NT. He can pass rush and run stop better than Chapman and is a big guy (330 or 340 i believe).

What proof do you have of that?  I've seen Kerr mostly at DE/DT (not NT) or on the interior of a 4 man nickel/dime front.  Hughes is the guy I've seen mostly subbing in for Chapman at NT in the base front.

I believe you subscribe to these websites?

Do you know what his grade is against the run?

Another poster only gave his grade against the pass...........

Per PFF, Chapman is -2.2 against the run, -2.7 as a pass rusher. 

I scratch my head at some of their grades, to be honest. But I do like their charting work.

What proof do you have of that? I've seen Kerr mostly at DE/DT (not NT) or on the interior of a 4 man nickel/dime front. Hughes is the guy I've seen mostly subbing in for Chapman at NT in the base front.

Im just saying he has a better pass rush than Chapman. His run stopping is better according to PPF. Also Kerr has the size to play NT. I just want a pass rush to be going on and if Kerr could apply that in the middle then it would greatly help the team.

Thanks for the 411.

I find myself scratching my head over this..............      :scratch:

Yeah, they've gotten a lot of credit lately for having some NFL team clients and whatnot. And even Collinsworth is now a part owner, and is working with them. But I have to believe that a lot of that is for their charting and stat-keeping, and not so much their grading. Too often I look at a game or situation and have an impression, then look at PFF's grades, and find it to be completely different from what I thought I saw. Sometimes I'll go back and reconsider, and kind of see their angle, but not always. I don't dismiss their grading, as most of the time I can see what they see, and they spend a lot more time doing it than I do. They have a better grading system than I do. They presumably know the game better than I do. But sometimes, I just don't get it.

I think individual player grades are always going to be highly subjective, and when you don't know the specific assignment on a play or a situation, it's hard to give a meaningful grade. 

Im just saying he has a better pass rush than Chapman. His run stopping is better according to PPF. Also Kerr has the size to play NT. I just want a pass rush to be going on and if Kerr could apply that in the middle then it would greatly help the team.

It's a completely different job, though. Chapman faces far more double teams at NT than Kerr does at DT/DE. His better pass rush and better run stopping would be drastically reduced if he moved to the middle. 

Yes I agree he has a better pass rush, that's why they use him so much in sub packages and not Chapman, and in the base front at DE/DT instead of NT.  

It's a completely different job, though. Chapman faces far more double teams at NT than Kerr does at DT/DE. His better pass rush and better run stopping would be drastically reduced if he moved to the middle.

I agree on they are different jobs but I would like to see how Kerr would perform in that role. Maybe throw him in in a couple snaps.

Fair enough.  What do you mean by "holding his ground" when double teams?  And how does he not take advantage of 1 on 1 match-ups?  And how often is he matched-up 1 on 1?

Yes I agree he has a better pass rush, that's why they use him so much in sub packages and not Chapman, and in the base front at DE/DT instead of NT.

That is true. I just don't think it would totally hurt to try him out there for a couple snaps. See what he can do.

I agree on they are different jobs but I would like to see how Kerr would perform in that role. Maybe throw him in in a couple snaps.

chapman primarily only comes in the game when they're expecting a run.  wouldn't it be better to keep Kerr fresh for passing downs? :)

OK..... A -2.7 pass rusher grade.

But what is his grade against the run??

Sorry, yeah, I mentioned the pass rusher grade because it seems completely irrelevant to his role on the team. His "overall" rating combines the pass rusher rating with the run defense rating in a simple summation of the two, which IMHO makes the overall rating worthless for nose tackles.

They also combine DT and NT ratings on the same page for comparisons. If you look closely NTs tend to be more poorly rated across the board then DTs, and always negative as pass rushers.

Yeah, they've gotten a lot of credit lately for having some NFL team clients and whatnot. And even Collinsworth is now a part owner, and is working with them. But I have to believe that a lot of that is for their charting and stat-keeping, and not so much their grading. Too often I look at a game or situation and have an impression, then look at PFF's grades, and find it to be completely different from what I thought I saw. Sometimes I'll go back and reconsider, and kind of see their angle, but not always. I don't dismiss their grading, as most of the time I can see what they see, and they spend a lot more time doing it than I do. They have a better grading system than I do. They presumably know the game better than I do. But sometimes, I just don't get it.

I think individual player grades are always going to be highly subjective, and when you don't know the specific assignment on a play or a situation, it's hard to give a meaningful grade.

I give them my money more for what I can see them building then what they actually have at the moment. They need more signature and situational statistics to help contextualize the current ratings.

I don't have time to watch replays anymore like I'd like to. They act as kind of a cheat sheet to challenge observations from live action. That doesn't mean I'll agree with their assessment in every case.