Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 Year Intrim Coach Thoughts Anyone?

ace_6900

If i were in Irsay's shoes I would hire Jim Tressel as HC with the understanding that the job is Peytons if he wants it after he retires. At this point Peyton just wants to play football i do not think he has even considered coaching. BUT Come on i think Peyton could be one of the greatest offensive minds in the game the way he studies film and reads defenses. If he hired a good defensive coordinator and special teams coach and he ran the offenese i think he would be really succesful. So, as i said hire Tressel now with the understanding that the job is Peyton's if and when he wants it.

It's mostly not having Peyton Manning. Give this team him even with all the other injuries and they are probably 7-4 and people are signing a different tune.

I say 8-3 at the worst, with losses to Houston week 1, possibly the Saints and possibly Atlanta. A good coach is able to overcome injuries.

I say 8-3 at the worst, with losses to Houston week 1, possibly the Saints and possibly Atlanta. A good coach is able to overcome injuries.

There is over coming injuries and there is over coming Peyton Manning. That is different than your normal injury. If it were an injury to anyone else on the team then yes I would say they would over come it just fine as they have in the past. Losing Peyton Manning is just the one guy they couldn't lose.

Apparently Houston has figured out how to win with a third string QB. So 8818, you are saying we can't manage even one single victory, considering the playoff caliber teams we've played such as Carolina, Jax, Kansas City, Browns, etc, etc. This goes far beyond the loss of Peyton, and it should be obvious to anyone who knows the game.

As to making Peyton a coach, if it's something he wants to do, he'll do well, no matter what.

Apparently Houston has figured out how to win with a third string QB. So 8818, you are saying we can't manage even one single victory, considering the playoff caliber teams we've played such as Carolina, Jax, Kansas City, Browns, etc, etc. This goes far beyond the loss of Peyton, and it should be obvious to anyone who knows the game.

As to making Peyton a coach, if it's something he wants to do, he'll do well, no matter what.

Didn't Houston already have 20 points before he got hurt?

Let's see how they finish the season.

Also the Texans didn't build their team around their QB like we did ours. If anything they have been trying to build to become a running team, notice the huge o-line and running game they have there. They would much rather run on you than thrown you although they can throw if needed. Also I don't think many would say Matt Schaub ment to the Texans what Peyton Manning ment to the Colts.

Also notice I didn't say we couldn't get one win, in fact I think I said in one of these threads I don't think any coach can last after an 0-16 season. I also don't think not having Peyton Manning is our only problem. I just think it's the biggest problem and it's the main reason we are losing.

They got those twenty points with a backup QB, did they not? If we could get a win, we should have done so by now, don't you think? I'm predicting 0-16.

Maybe, teams have been 0-11 before and won a game late.

Good for the Texans they have a better back up QB than us. I still wouldn't trade our past 14 years for theirs and it doesn't make me feel any less that our biggest problem is that we don't have Peyton Manning. I think that's a much bigger issue than the coaching. That's my opinion if you disagree with it you are more than welcome too.

I know, neither of us are going to sway the other, but it's interesting digging around for different view points anyway. I would say that we aren't exactly not built around the run, as Joe Addai, when healthy, is not exactly chopped liver. Point is, a competent coaching staff / front office should have been able to field a team that would have several wins this season, but it hasn't happend. That is not on the back of injuries, it's ineptness of the folks in charge.

I know, neither of us are going to sway the other, but it's interesting digging around for different view points anyway. I would say that we aren't exactly not built around the run, as Joe Addai, when healthy, is not exactly chopped liver. Point is, a competent coaching staff / front office should have been able to field a team that would have several wins this season, but it hasn't happend. That is not on the back of injuries, it's ineptness of the folks in charge.

No but we aren't a running team either. I think we are an improving running team but we are still a passing team first.

I think the front office and coaching staff did field a team that would have won several games this season. Then the player they spent 14 years building around got hurt at the last minute and the whole thing went to heck. I would say this team would have over come just about any injury except for an injury to Peyton Manning, he's the one guy they couldn't lose. They lost him and now they are deep in trouble. I am not shocked by that. In fact I've said this for years if we lost Peyton Manning it was season over. The good news is hopefully next year we'll have a healthy Peyton Manning back and hopefully Andrew Luck and if we lose Peyton Manning again it might not be season over.

I'm fine with keeping Polian. All this mess is mostly Caldwell's fault. Actually, no, it's all Caldwell's fault, but I digress.

i blame alot of it on caldwell but seriously you do not give any blame to polian at all? give me a legit starter to replace Gonzalez, Hughes, Ugoh, and Brown which first rounders are supposed to and we would not be 0-11 even without PM.

i blame alot of it on caldwell but seriously you do not give any blame to polian at all? give me a legit starter to replace Gonzalez, Hughes, Ugoh, and Brown which first rounders are supposed to and we would not be 0-11 even without PM.

Brown has been our best running back this season and seems to have finally figured it out.

Gonzo was done in by injuries and he had no history of injuries in college.

Without questions the two picks the hurt the most are Ugoh and namely Hughes. Every GM has misses with that said though yes Polian shares in the blame for this season. No one person is the only reason we are struggling. I know I am the one who says Peyton being hurt is the biggest reason and he is but I know he's not the only reason for this season.

Brown has been our best running back this season and seems to have finally figured it out.

Gonzo was done in by injuries and he had no history of injuries in college.

Without questions the two picks the hurt the most are Ugoh and namely Hughes. Every GM has misses with that said though yes Polian shares in the blame for this season. No one person is the only reason we are struggling. I know I am the one who says Peyton being hurt is the biggest reason and he is but I know he's not the only reason for this season.

I agree no one person is resposible but Caldwell gets the lions share followed by Polian in my opinion. I don't know i just think it is time to do something Polian doeasn not beleive in hit free agency as hard as our cap will allow along with trading down to give PM one more chance at a SB.To many people discount him being one of the greatest ever because he only has 1 ring.

I think peyton would make an excellent offensive coordinator.

A position he ALREADY does on this team.

If Peyton cant play.......(Realistically a 50/50 chance)

Maybe less when you think about having 3 surgeries with 2 not

Working out.

I would say

Try Tressel at HC

Manning at OC

Tutoring Andrew Luck

A NEW DC...... With new ideas.....

Since the Dungy days, which were the best years, The defensive philosophy, player sizes and playbook has remained unchanged for the most part. A lot of coaching talent has been lost. We are not batting 1000% on our first round picks. Special teams on kickoffs and punts represent a drop in extra talent. Next man up only works with talented 2nd tier players. In a nut shell, we have been too good during the regular season for too long. The last time the colts went went 1-15 they drafted Manning. The next year they went 3-13 and drafted Edge and they were on thier way. Bottom line the "Polians" are not performing, Offensive coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, are both trying to run systems that are out of date and will not hold up in the near future if not now. Players are getting bigger and are just as fast as our guys are. Tampa two worked for tampa. We have never come close to being on that level ever. Sapp, Lynch,Brooks ect.

I agree no one person is resposible but Caldwell gets the lions share followed by Polian in my opinion. I don't know i just think it is time to do something Polian doeasn not beleive in hit free agency as hard as our cap will allow along with trading down to give PM one more chance at a SB.To many people discount him being one of the greatest ever because he only has 1 ring.

I think the biggest problem is we don't have a QB. That's where I put the most blame. From there I think this team has a lack of talent at other key areas so that goes more on Polian than it does Caldwell but I also don't think Polian is going to get fired at the end of the season.

Since the Dungy days, which were the best years, The defensive philosophy, player sizes and playbook has remained unchanged for the most part. A lot of coaching talent has been lost. We are not batting 1000% on our first round picks. Special teams on kickoffs and punts represent a drop in extra talent. Next man up only works with talented 2nd tier players. In a nut shell, we have been too good during the regular season for too long. The last time the colts went went 1-15 they drafted Manning. The next year they went 3-13 and drafted Edge and they were on thier way. Bottom line the "Polians" are not performing, Offensive coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, are both trying to run systems that are out of date and will not hold up in the near future if not now. Players are getting bigger and are just as fast as our guys are. Tampa two worked for tampa. We have never come close to being on that level ever. Sapp, Lynch,Brooks ect.

i agree but i have always liked the tampa 2 with one exception 2 huge DT'S or at least one of them a huge run stopper.