Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some interesting (random) stats

Dustin

* Luck is the 4th least pressured QB this season. Compared to being the 10th most pressured last season. 

* Vontae Davis is giving up a league best 22.6 passer rating. 3rd? Greg Toler with a 38.3.

* Anthony Costanzo is currently the 2nd highest graded pass blocking tackle in the NFL (PFF). Surrendering just 4 hurries (0 hits, 0 sacks) in 150 pass blocks. 

*Ahmad Bradshaw is 4th in the league in yards after contact. TRich is 14th.

*AQ Shipley has given up 1 QB hit (0 hurries, 0 hits) it 150 pass blocks. 

*Luck has the highest deep accuracy% in the NFL (7 of 12 (1 drop) for 180 yards - 66.7%). Yet only 9.5% of his throws are deep (20th in the NFL). 

*Colts are 25th in % of play action passes. 

Well I guess Vontae and Greg have been doing well preparing for Tom Brady (sorry had to get that in somehow), where does that rank them amongst the CBs ( I think I saw Joe Haden was like 93rd out of 95!)

Vontae is 13th and Toler is 55th. Butler is 26th. 

Well I guess Vontae and Greg have been doing well preparing for Tom Brady (sorry had to get that in somehow), where does that rank them amongst the CBs ( I think I saw Joe Haden was like 93rd out of 95!)

As a tandem? It means they are currently the best tandem in the NFL. You can't really beat #1 and #3. Throw in Butler as the nickel corner, and the Colts strongest position defensively could easily be CB. 

Oh what could have been if not for an injured Mathis....

edit: I misread how you posted that with QB rating specifically. Still, it's impressive considering the complete lack of real pass rush.

Thanks Dustin, Im actually a little surprised they arent a little bit higher, is it due to penalties or another reason?

Toler has gotten beat a couple times, but the ball never got to the receiver for whatever reason. Drops/overthrows/ect... it affects his grade, but not his stats.

We had better than Polamalu in his prime. We had Bob Sanders.

The legend himself, who dare not play in pithy games, only when he is most needed will he show. Like a geist rising in the night from the backfield. Few remember the poweful hits levied by this god among men, who's blows were so mighty, they even injured him.

Bob Sanders. Actual Legend.

Next year we really need a safety who can roam the field, and excel in pass coverage. I always wished the colts had a Polamalu in his prime.

30 other teams would love to have either Reed or Polamalu in their prime. We had one in Bob, big difference was he couldn't stay healthy. Just saying it's not as easy as people think to just get a safety. We are never going to have the top player at every position. We have to pick and choose. By upgrading one position could mean downgrading another. You have to find a good balance of players that complement each other. I think Landry and Adams are doing a good job. If they improve their tackling they can be that much better.

The legend himself, who dare not play in pithy games, only when he is most needed will he show. Like a geist rising in the night from the backfield. Few remember the poweful hits levied by this god among men, who's blows were so mighty, they even injured him.

Bob Sanders. Actual Legend.

Good one . . . 

Frank-Underwood-Eye-roll-GIF.gif

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Football Outsiders have the Colts listed as #15 in Run Blocking and #10 in Pass Protection.

P.S.  Our next game is against Tennessee. They're #6 in Run Blocking and while Running to the Left End they're #1 in the NFL. 

I wonder if we will flip positions with Walden & Werner. Walden going to the WILL and Werner going to SAM?

Walden is better at stopping the Run and setting the Edge.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Football Outsiders have the Colts listed as #15 in Run Blocking and #10 in Pass Protection.

P.S. Our next game is against Tennessee. They're #6 in Run Blocking and while Running to the Left End they're #1 in the NFL.

I wonder if we will flip positions with Walden & Werner. Walden going to the WILL and Werner going to SAM?

Walden is better at stopping the Run and setting the Edge.

I was down in tenn a few weeks ago and had to watch them play the Cowboys. Honestly, they looked like the jags against us. They got their head beat in bad. Cowboys ran at will against them. They were some what effective putting pressure on Romo, but who doesn't. They also made the Cowboys defense look like the 2000 Ravens.

Colts Cornerbacks in Coverage, Weeks 1-3 Player Targets Catches Yards TD INT Passer Rating PFF Grade Vontae Davis 15 6 54 0 1 22.6 +2.8 Greg Toler 22 10 108 1 0 82.3 +1.1 Darius Butler 16 6 111 1 2 38.3 -2.3

Pro Football Focus

The trio has been very effective as a whole limiting the effectiveness of opposing quarterbacks. The difference between the corners and the rest of the defense is stark: Opposing quarterbacks have a passer rating of just 47.1 when throwing at the starting three cornerbacks, but 139.6 when throwing at the rest of the defense. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2207835-indianapolis-colts-cornerbacks-start-the-season-strong-but-questions-remain nice read says more about the CBs aswell

I was down in tenn a few weeks ago and had to watch them play the Cowboys. Honestly, they looked like the jags against us. They got their head beat in bad. Cowboys ran at will against them. They were some what effective putting pressure on Romo, but who doesn't. They also made the Cowboys defense look like the 2000 Ravens.

Their defense apparently sucks, but I was giving stats about their offensive running. I'm just wondering out loud if it would be better to bring Walden over to the Will LB spot on certain downs to stop the Run.

* Vontae Davis is giving up a league best 22.6 passer rating. 3rd? Greg Toler with a 38.3.

I'm guessing this is why teams are passing at our LB's a lot .

*AQ Shipley has given up 1 QB hit (0 hurries, 0 hits) it 150 pass blocks. 

Has givin 1 hit then 0 hits 0 hurries hold on here is it 1 or none

*Ahmad Bradshaw is 4th in the league in yards after contact. TRich is 14th

Love having Bradshaw on the team loved watching him and Nicks as giants

*Luck has the highest deep accuracy% in the NFL (7 of 12 (1 drop) for 180 yards - 66.7%). Yet only 9.5% of his throws are deep (20th in the NFL). 

I hope Pep sees this . Is it me or is something wrong here ...

*Colts are 25th in % of play action passes. 

Wasn't this where Luck had his highest completion percentage the last 2 seasons ?

Some very nice stats there ty for posting this

I guess my definition of "deep" is different than the creator of these stats.

180 yards on 7 receptions is only an average of 25.7 yards per.    So given the fact that some were more than 25 yards, some would have been less than 25 yards.    Is a 20 yard pass considered a "deep" pass?

Still, 66.7% on 20 yard passes is pretty impressive.

I guess my definition of "deep" is different than the creator of these stats.

180 yards on 7 receptions is only an average of 25.7 yards per. So given the fact that some were more than 25 yards, some would have been less than 25 yards. Is a 20 yard pass considered a "deep" pass?

Still, 66.7% on 20 yard passes is pretty impressive.

By any used metric, deep pass is defined as anything 20 yards or more in the air. Luck actually is actually the first guy since at least 2006 to attempt more than 5 deep passes without an incompletion in a single game (6/6) according to ESPN stats and info.

Passer rating, combined, against our top three CBs (Davis, Toler, Butler): 64.4

A total of 53 targets, 28 catches, 273 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs. Aside from some penalties, the corners have been very, very good. 

The LBs and the safeties have been getting exposed (mostly by Julius Thomas, Darren Sproles and Zach Ertz). 

Passer rating, combined, against our top three CBs (Davis, Toler, Butler): 64.4

A total of 53 targets, 28 catches, 273 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs. Aside from some penalties, the corners have been very, very good. 

The LBs and the safeties have been getting exposed (mostly by Julius Thomas, Darren Sproles and Zach Ertz). 

So what you're saying is players that expose basically every teams backer coverage also exposed the Colts backers? Madness and slander, oh the fails!

So what you're saying is players that expose basically every teams backer coverage also exposed the Colts backers? Madness and slander, oh the fails!

I get where you're going, but that's not what I'm saying.

Julius Thomas hurt backers and safeties, alike. Same with Ertz. Sproles, yeah, he pretty much exclusively ate up Josh McNary. 

I get where you're going, but that's not what I'm saying.

Julius Thomas hurt backers and safeties, alike. Same with Ertz. Sproles, yeah, he pretty much exclusively ate up Josh McNary. 

I know, I just don't think those guys beating linebackers is that egregious a statement on our Linebackers. The Safetys are another matter entirely but we can all agree that is a weakness of the Indy defense. I'm just advocating not hitting the panic button on the defense just yet, and Manusky irks me more than anyone else on the coaching staff.