Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drafted players switching positions.

Bravo

The Colts and other NFL lately have drafted a couple of players who play a certain position all/most season in college and then they then switch to a different position when they come into the NFL.

For the Colts in the past two drafts it has been Bjeorn Werner and Jack Mewhort. I'm sure there are others.

I like Werner, I have his Jersey actually! He was a stud in college at FSU. But then we switched him from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB! He for sure hasn't played to his greatest potential!

With Jack Mewhort offensive line is a little different and possibly a little easier than other posistion changes. He played all posistions for Ohio State but really played well at Tackle for them. We then switched him to guard because of need.

I really don't like how NFL teams do this. I feel that most players don't progress as fast and ever reach their highest level. What is your take? Would you pass on a good player just becuase he doesn't play the posistion you want or would you draft good players that fit your scheme?

I would rather draft a scheme fit as long as good players were still available.

Mewhort would not make it as a full time starting LT in the NFL, Also Werner had some experience at Florida State as a rush Linebacker...He actually dropped back once in a while to but that's just not a good idea in the NFL I don't think....Coaches disagree however

Urlacher switched from S to LB and it worked out pretty well.  A lot of players switch from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE or vice versa.  It's all about whether the guy fits into your system or not.  Frankly, I was hoping we would pick up Denicos Allen from MSU who is 5'11", 225 lbs.  If you have him lose some weight and gain some speed and better movement, the potential for him to be a good safety is there.

Urlacher switched from S to LB and it worked out pretty well.  A lot of players switch from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE or vice versa.  It's all about whether the guy fits into your system or not.  Frankly, I was hoping we would pick up Denicos Allen from MSU who is 5'11", 225 lbs.  If you have him lose some weight and gain some speed and better movement, the potential for him to be a good safety is there.

I am a big MSU guy and I was actually hoping the Colts took a look at a number of the MSU defensive players in last year's draft. Besides Dennard the Colts could have had their choice. Allen or Isaiah Lewis could have both really helped the Colts IMO. Lewis was already a safety at MSU.

Im not a fan of players being made to change positions but it can work if its the right position or a coach is creative enough to exploit that players strengths in that scheme, I also absolutely dislike coaches (the coach not the person) who flat refuse to exploit the players strengths that he does have to that teams advantage, ya draft a non mobile guard? Don't ask him to pull.......ya see a LT in college who clearly has no business playing LT in the NFL? Don't ask him to play LT unless its absolutely necessary in the NFL, There are many players who get drafted into a team whos coach wont take advantage of said players strengths

Moving from offensive tackle to guard is considered by NFL types as one of the easier moves to make.   In fact, many teams prefer to draft a tackle and move him to guard,  rather than drafting a pure guard and playing him at that spot in the pros.

Tackles are typically the best OL on any team.    So, one can often find a college tackle that you believe likely can't be an NFL tackle, but might make a very good guard on the pro level.

Besides....   it's not unclear that a few years from now Mewhort might be able to replace Cherlus at Right Tackle.   It may not be likely,   but I think it's possible and shouldn't be ruled out for now.

As for moving from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB,  depending on how a college team used that DE and how the NFL wants to use the player as an OLB,  it's not uncommon for this to happen in the NFL.   It's happened before.

Both Grigson and Pagano worked Werner out privately.   If memory serves, they might've worked him out more than once?

If your top people think he can make the conversion than you've got to give them the leeway to do it.   I thought Werner looked decent today.    Not great,  but not bad.     He forced the fumble that was almost turned into a safety in the 3rd quarter.   That was a nice move by him....     I suspect he graded out OK.....