Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FYI: Game day threads / post game threads (UPDATED Sept. 27, PLEASE READ)

Superman

http://forums.colts.com/forum-4/announcement-76-important-read-this-about-creating-threads-on-game-day-and-the-day-after/

Nadine made an announcement about this last week, but we want to make sure as many people as possible are aware of the way game day threads are going to be handled. 

During the game, there is an actual game day section, which you can find here: http://forums.colts.com/page/game_day.html It's open during the game, and the game day thread will be started already. Please post one-off thoughts and rants and vents and "What the heck was that?" and "WHAT A STUPID CALL!" and "THESE REFS SUCK!" and "YEAH!! DID YOU SEE THAT TACKLE?" and all that kind of stuff in the game thread. That's what it's for. There is a ton of discussion there. It's moderated just like the rest of the forums are.

If there's news that happens during the game, like an injury, or another significant event, feel free to make a thread in the Colts section (if duplicates are made, no worries, a mod will merge them). What we're trying to avoid is flooding the Colts section with random thoughts that could actually be discussed in the game day thread. Many of these are duplicates anyways, and if you want to discuss them, you're better off hitching your wagon to an active thread anyways.

You can also participate in the Colts chat by following this link: http://forums.colts.com/chat/ The chat section is open and moderated during the game. The same rules apply as on the forum, but the chat moderators have a lot to do in a short period of time. Please cooperate with them.

After the game, the mods will make some wide net threads for general discussion about the game. These will include offense, defense, special teams, coaching, and miscellaneous. We'll try to make them prominent so that they are easier to find. Again, the point is to avoid having the main forum overrun with threads, many of which are duplicates. We hope it will make it easier to navigate the Colts section on game day, and we hope it actually generates more discussion on the main topics that people want to discuss anyways.

None of this means that you can't discuss the game on this site. It doesn't even mean that you can't start threads, whether during the game or after. We are simply trying to centralize game day and game related discussion, in hopes that it makes the forum easier to navigate, makes topics easier to track, reduces duplicate threads, and enhances everyone's experience.

We're hoping to get everyone's cooperation on this. Come one, come all... We want as much participation on game day as the forum can handle. We just ask that everyone is respectful of the protocol, the rules, and most importantly, each other. If there are questions or comments or complaints or whatever, feel free to PM a mod. All viewpoints will be considered. 

Sincerely, thank you. 

I understand what you are trying to do, and I guess there has to be "some" rules to govern the chaos.

I have just never been a fan of organizing random thoughts from several different people on a message board. I miss the old days of one board for all topics. It was never really unorganized to begin with. Whatever was the hot topic was front and center. 

It will be done the way you have it setup, and people will criticize me on this for having an opinion, but I have always thought the micromanaging of thoughts on a message board was odd and controlling. 

Don't pay me any attention though. I am just old.

I understand what you are trying to do, and I guess there has to be "some" rules to govern the chaos.

I have just never been a fan of organizing random thoughts from several different people on a message board. I miss the old days of one board for all topics. It was never really unorganized to begin with. Whatever was the hot topic was front and center. 

It will be done the way you have it setup, and people will criticize me on this for having an opinion, but I have always thought the micromanaging of thoughts on a message board was odd and controlling. 

Great post

I think the reason most make seperate threads is cause there is sooo many people in the game day thread saying good run or good tackle nice catch ect. That the pages go up pretty fast so posts can get lost very quickly

It boils down to people being selfish. They think their opinion is so important to be heard, that they must make a seperate thread about it. 

With all due respect, it's easy for you to say that when you're not the Colts fan trying to enjoy the game and babysit hundreds of loose cannons, freaking out and making impulsive, substanceless threads. 

I will say I'm not sure about the separate threads for post game until we're allowed to create new threads. I would think a singular post game "huddle" thread would be best. Because the comments in these threads (offense, defense, coaching etc) often arc to each other, overlap and get convoluted anyway. i.e. In the post-game offense thread, we have people going into tangential defensive discussions and vice-versa. 

An example would be; In the Offensive post game thread;

"Well, Luck wouldn't have to 'X' if our defense didn't do 'Y'." Now we have a defensive discussion brewing in the offensive thread, and so on. So segregating post-game discussions is one of those things that sounds like it'll keep order, when really, it creates more chaos than necessary. 

One post-game thread for whatever the duration they decide is appropriate until thread creation is opened up. If it's about the game, it belongs there until we can open up the forums. 

It boils down to people being selfish. They think their opinion is so important to be heard, that they must make a seperate thread about it.

This is partially true but if someone wants to discuss a certain part of the game or something that has happened it's very hard to keep up with others on the same topic when 1000 other posts are rushing in left and right however some are selfish not all

With all due respect, it's easy for you to say that when you're not the Colts fan trying to enjoy the game and babysit hundreds of loose cannons, freaking out and making impulsive, substanceless threads. 

I will say I'm not sure about the separate threads for post game until we're allowed to create new threads. I would think a singular post game "huddle" thread would be best. Because the comments in these threads (offense, defense, coaching etc) often arc to each other, overlap and get convoluted anyway. i.e. In the post-game offense thread, we have people going into tangential defensive discussions and vice-versa. 

An example would be; In the Offensive post game thread;

"Well, Luck wouldn't have to 'X' if our defense didn't do 'Y'." Now we have a defensive discussion brewing in the offensive thread, and so on. So segregating post-game discussions is one of those things that sounds like it'll keep order, when really, it creates more chaos than necessary. 

One post-game thread for whatever the duration they decide is appropriate until thread creation is opened up. If it's about the game, it belongs there until we can open up the forums. 

Nah. It is not that complicated. It is a big control game, and it is not needed. 

I believe that people should post about what they want to, and the threads that fans want to talk about will make it to the top. Let popularity decide it

And let's be honest, popularity does not always equal quality discussions. That said, controlling what thread the posts go into will not change what is popular and is not popular.

This is partially true but if someone wants to discuss a certain part of the game or something that has happened it's very hard to keep up with others on the same topic when 1000 other posts are rushing in left and right however some are selfish not all

True, but a small measure of patience gives way to clarity. If someone has something to say thats truly worthy of it's own thread, it can wait. I get that the staff hates doing this, but they likely hate the chaos of trying to enjoy the game while keeping the board from turning upside down. 

Anyone that truly hates what the staff is doing should get to be an honorary mod for a day, charged with keeping the board clean during the game. I bet they'd sing a different tune real quick. 

And let's be honest, popularity does not always equal quality discussions. 

You hit it square-center. ...and that's the problem. Troll/anger/brooding threads always attract more attention than the reasonable ones. For those of us that want to discuss the team, we have to wade through a tidal wave of threads discussing firing our HC after a week 2 loss. 

I can understand your point, but could you really imagine this board without any moderation? People can't be trusted to behave and that's the sad fact of the matter. 

I can understand your point, but could you really imagine this board without any moderation? People can't be trusted to behave and that's the sad fact of the matter.

I never said to have no moderation. As long as duplicate threads were merged, I don't think the old way would be much of a problem.

I just don't see why we can't discuss the Colts game on the Colts forum while the game is going on. I have this forum bookmarked. Last Monday I was in a colts vs eagles thread in the Colts forum that was 2 pages long when I started reading it. I made a few posts and was enjoying the conversion. Then wham its closed. I had no interest in going to a different section and reading through another thread that was probably 8 pages long.

I just don't see why we can't discuss the Colts game on the Colts forum while the game is going on. I have this forum bookmarked. Last Monday I was in a colts vs eagles thread in the Colts forum that was 2 pages long when I started reading it. I made a few posts and was enjoying the conversion. Then wham its closed. I had no interest in going to a different section and reading through another thread that was probably 8 pages long. So said forget it and just watched the game and stayed off the forum. I've been at games in the los and followed Colts forum. During the kc playoff game I thought boy the firm is going to be bad. Then in the 4th quarter I had to see what people were paying about the comeback. I read a lot of it to my wife at dinner that night. That was fun.

I never said to have no moderation. As long as duplicate threads were merged, I don't think the old way would be much of a problem.

It's not unusual to see a couple dozen threads (or more) spawn during the game. Some are of validity, many are reactionary, many are duplicate. Now ....this presents the staff with only a few ways of handling this, and neither is particularly pleasant for them. They can either try to enjoy the game while merging, deleting, warning etc, or, they can wait until the game is over and begin the arduous task of fudging around with a full front page of threads and many dozens of posts (many of which will be inappropriate and require moderation). This means they have to pay for not being diligent while trying to enjoy the game and thus spending a great deal of time afterward.

They don't get paid, they volunteer. The old way, I'm sure it's too much like work. This can cause good mods to quit or just throw their hands up and maybe not provide the kind of service necessary to allow us, the members, to have a good experience here.

I'd love to help them, but I'm a bit of a wildcard, I'm afraid. www.MessenTools.com-Varios-big-183.gif

My vote goes to an open game thread/post in the regular Colts forum (since that's where we all go)

Once the game is over, it's closed maybe an hour after the game is over.

I agree there needs to be a singular thread for the hiatus period in the Colts forum. But I think it should be limited to a post-game format, as we have a running open game thread in the Game Day forum. To have 2 going in 2 different forums would be a bit redundant. As well, it would be nice to have more people in one thread congregating, as opposed to spreading our fans out too much. Bear in mind, as it is, we not only have the Game Day thread running, but an open chat as well. 

This also helps with moderation issues, as there will be times when a mod or two may have commitments in their life and may not be able to help out on game day. 

The problem with 1 thread for all post-game thoughts is that it may not be conducive to discussion.  You could very well have a trend of

Post 1: the refs are terrible

Post 2: Pep needs to go

Post 3: response to the refs post

Post 4: where's the pass rush?

Post 5: Luck needs to play better

Post 6: zomg fyre every1e now!1!!!1oneone!

Post 7: where's the pass rush? (notice how it's the exact same as a previous post, not a response to it)

Post 8: Grigson and Pagano need to be fired

Post 9: Werner is a bust

Post 10: Hilton dropped too many passes

The topics are all over the place and it's hard to follow any one discussion topic.  Now take those 10 posts and multiply it by 20 and try to follow a discussion.  There will be some overlap, of course, but that slight overlap is likely to be more conducive to discussion than having one thread with 50 different topics in it where no discussion actually occurs.

It's also not a hard rule in that there is some leniency.  For example, we did create those post-game threads and merge a lot of threads into them, but some other threads were allowed to continue as their own topics without being merged or locked.  The Art Jones injury thread stayed open because it wasn't specific to post-game thoughts.  It was about an injury to a starter, which usually results in quite a lot of discussion, so that was left open.  Our main aim with this is to prevent all of those 1 line topics people make that a) don't contribute to discussions, and b) have the same sentiment expressed in multiple other threads.  We are not trying to prevent anyone from discussing the game or voicing their opinions.

With that said, we do appreciate everyone's responses and ideas, especially pertaining to this thread.

I just don't see why we can't discuss the Colts game on the Colts forum while the game is going on. I have this forum bookmarked. Last Monday I was in a colts vs eagles thread in the Colts forum that was 2 pages long when I started reading it. I made a few posts and was enjoying the conversion. Then wham its closed. I had no interest in going to a different section and reading through another thread that was probably 8 pages long. So said forget it and just watched the game and stayed off the forum. I've been at games in the los and followed Colts forum. During the kc playoff game I thought boy the firm is going to be bad. Then in the 4th quarter I had to see what people were paying about the comeback. I read a lot of it to my wife at dinner that night. That was fun.

Honest question, does it matter what section the game discussion thread is in? It's not a different site, it's just a separate section. I put a link to where the game day threads will be in the OP.

There is a line between managing and micromanaging. We are trying to strike that balance. We appreciate your thoughts, and they are definitely under consideration.

My vote goes to an open game thread/post in the regular Colts forum (since that's where we all go)

Once the game is over, it's closed maybe an hour after the game is over.

Does it matter whether it's here, or in the game day section? I'm not being snarky, it's a serious question.

I agree there needs to be a singular thread for the hiatus period in the Colts forum. But I think it should be limited to a post-game format, as we have a running open game thread in the Game Day forum. To have 2 going in 2 different forums would be a bit redundant. As well, it would be nice to have more people in one thread congregating, as opposed to spreading our fans out too much. Bear in mind, as it is, we not only have the Game Day thread running, but an open chat as well. 

This also helps with moderation issues, as there will be times when a mod or two may have commitments in their life and may not be able to help out on game day. 

Just to be clear, the objective is not to shut down any thread making during the game. I'm not sure exactly what situations would call for separate threads on game day, other than injuries, but if that happens, that's fine. The Colts section is open for business during the game, but we expect for the main game day thread to be used for game discussion. And already existing threads are obviously still being discussed during the game. I wouldn't call it a hiatus period, at all.

Just to be clear, the objective is not to shut down any thread making during the game. I'm not sure exactly what situations would call for separate threads on game day, other than injuries, but if that happens, that's fine. The Colts section is open for business during the game, but we expect for the main game day thread to be used for game discussion. And already existing threads are obviously still being discussed during the game. I wouldn't call it a hiatus period, at all.

Wait..,..now I'm confused. Are we allowed to create threads during a game or not? 

The problem with 1 thread for all post-game thoughts is that it may not be conducive to discussion.  You could very well have a trend of

Post 1: the refs are terrible

Post 2: Pep needs to go

Post 3: response to the refs post

Post 4: where's the pass rush?

Post 5: Luck needs to play better

Post 6: zomg fyre every1e now!1!!!1oneone!

Post 7: where's the pass rush? (notice how it's the exact same as a previous post, not a response to it)

Post 8: Grigson and Pagano need to be fired

Post 9: Werner is a bust

Post 10: Hilton dropped too many passes

That's already happening though. We have the same 10 discussions going on about 10 different topics in 5 or 6 different threads that all get deleted and can have no further discussion after a short period of time. 

I'll tell ya right now, I ain't participating in these threads, I won't do it. Because there's no point to scribbling my thoughts on a wall that is about to be taken down permanently. 

I encourage everyone to abstain from posting in these threads until we can make new ones. This coming from a long time member with many posts that rarely ever makes his own thread. 

One thread for a post game huddle. Free flowing, dynamic discussion concerning all aspects. A back and forth with a member/members about a certain aspect will not be constrained by having one thread. The ebb 'n' flow of conversation could then continue for some time after new thread creation has been opened up, because we didn't create a half dozen temporary threads, we only have one going and due to it only being one thread, it can stay up and open for 24 hours (give or take) to foster on-going conversation. 

Because this website has a notification feature that alerts members that someone has responded, it makes it pretty easy to keep a back and forth focused and easy to follow. Many forums don't have this feature, and it really helps. In all the confusion and fluid posting during the Game Day thread, I find it easy to have a back 'n' forth with another member, even with all the randomness going on. Even with the game still going. 

Because this website has a notification feature that alerts members that someone has responded, it makes it pretty easy to keep a back and forth focused and easy to follow. Many forums don't have this feature, and it really helps. In all the confusion and fluid posting during the Game Day thread, I find it easy to have a back 'n' forth with another member, even with all the randomness going on. Even with the game still going. 

But given that, can't you do the same thing in its own thread?  With these post-game threads, the intent is to make things organized so everyone knows where to go if they want to post something or read the opinions other people have on something.  We are not saying people aren't allowed to make threads during the game; it just depends on the topic.

But given that, can't you do the same thing in its own thread?  With these post-game threads, the intent is to make things organized so everyone knows where to go if they want to post something or read the opinions other people have on something.  We are not saying people aren't allowed to make threads during the game; it just depends on the topic.

I don't understand. If I try to make a thread during the game, what EXACTLY happens? Does it go up and get taken down if seen as improper? Does it wait for approval?

I don't think you guys are doing a very good job explaining this. I see more effort to explain why you're doing this, as opposed to exactly what you're doing. BTW: I support this (i think), I'm just not convinced it's being implemented properly. 

In the OP here, Superman says;

None of this means that you can't discuss the game on this site. It doesn't even mean that you can't start threads, whether during the game or after.

So why not just inform people that improper/substanceless threads will be deleted and we forgo all this weird maneuvering? 

I don't understand. If I try to make a thread during the game, what EXACTLY happens? Does it go up and get taken down if seen as improper? Does it wait for approval?

I don't think you guys are doing a very good job explaining this. I see more effort to explain why you're doing this, as opposed to exactly what you're doing. BTW: I support this, I'm just not convinced it's being implemented properly. 

In the OP here, Superman says;

So why not just inform people that improper/substanceless threads will be deleted and we forgo all this weird maneuvering? 

It varies with thread.  Some will be locked.  Some will stay open.  As for informing people about improper threads, that's the whole point of this.  That's what we're trying to explain.  Some threads, like injury threads to major players, will stay open.  Others that are less substantiated and less conducive to discussion will either be locked or merged into the post-game threads.  The Art Jones injury thread was created during the game and we left it open because it didn't fit with the specific post-game threads we had.  So it doesn't mean that you can't start threads.  It just means a lot of threads could be locked or merged in an attempt to keep the forums more organized.  It's still a work in progress and we are trying to figure out some of the details as we go along.  And if our communication on it hasn't been very good, then we will strive to be clearer in that as well

It varies with thread.  Some will be locked.  Some will stay open.  As for informing people about improper threads, that's the whole point of this.  That's what we're trying to explain.  Some threads, like injury threads to major players, will stay open.  Others that are less substantiated and less conducive to discussion will either be locked or merged into the post-game threads.  The Art Jones injury thread was created during the game and we left it open because it didn't fit with the specific post-game threads we had.  So it doesn't mean that you can't start threads.  It just means a lot of threads could be locked or merged in an attempt to keep the forums more organized.  It's still a work in progress and we are trying to figure out some of the details as we go along.  And if our communication on it hasn't been very good, then we will strive to be clearer in that as well

I think I get your drift. It's a bit open-ended, but I think I get the idea.

I'll leave ya alone for now. Kick off, bro. Cya over in the GD thread!!!

I see your point and raise you a ton of threads that somehow become a discussion on everything but the actual topic raised by the OP.

I'll tell ya right now, I ain't participating in these threads, I won't do it. Because there's no point to scribbling my thoughts on a wall that is about to be taken down permanently. 

I encourage everyone to abstain from posting in these threads until we can make new ones. This coming from a long time member with many posts that rarely ever makes his own thread. 

We're not closing post game threads. The discussion that happens in those threads will continue to happen indefinitely. Those threads will die a natural death, if at all possible. 

I see your point and raise you a ton of threads that somehow become a discussion on everything but the actual topic raised by the OP.

That is the normal. We cannot realistically expect it to ever be any different. A topic is a starting point, or a guiding point, but will open up other thoughts and ideas. 

The moment message boards say that members have to stay 100% on topic, then I am out. I am not here to work that hard, unless I am in the mood to. I am not anteing up unless it is my choice to do so. No one should, because none of us are getting paid here.

That is the normal. We cannot realistically expect it to ever be any different. A topic is a starting point, or a guiding point, but will open up other thoughts and ideas. 

The moment message boards say that members have to stay 100% on topic, then I am out. I am not here to work that hard, unless I am in the mood to. Then it is my choice. But I am not anteing up. 

No one said anyone has to stay 100% on topic. The post game threads are intended to be wide net threads that will have discussion on a variety of things. We understand there will be overlap from one topic to the next. The point is that if you want to talk about the WRs or the RBs or the OL, it's all offense, so let's talk about it in that thread. 

I think the discussion would be much more fractured otherwise. You'd have a thread over here about the WRs, then a thread over here about Hakeem Nicks, and then a thread over here about Luck's weapons, "How about that throw in the 3rd quarter?," etc.... How much harder would it be to follow a topic that way, as opposed to wide net threads about general topics? 

We're not closing post game threads. The discussion that happens in those threads will continue to happen indefinitely. Those threads will die a natural death, if at all possible. 

Looks like it worked out pretty well tonight. I didn't pay much attention to the dynamic last week. Sounds like you guys have things handled, maybe a few tweaks along the way. 

The mods here do a fantastic job, just to let ya know how I (personally) feel about it.  :thmup:

No one said anyone has to stay 100% on topic. The post game threads are intended to be wide net threads that will have discussion on a variety of things. We understand there will be overlap from one topic to the next. The point is that if you want to talk about the WRs or the RBs or the OL, it's all offense, so let's talk about it in that thread. 

I think the discussion would be much more fractured otherwise. You'd have a thread over here about the WRs, then a thread over here about Hakeem Nicks, and then a thread over here about Luck's weapons, "How about that throw in the 3rd quarter?," etc.... How much harder would it be to follow a topic that way, as opposed to wide net threads about general topics? 

I believe these decisions will overall have a negative impact on this board. Fans have enough rules when they visit a message board. If we start making them have to post in certain threads, at certain times, about certain topics, then I believe it will end up impacting the overall attendance. 

Why do we need to micromanage this board so much? Just let people talk about what they want to. If they make a thread then members can decide if it is worthy of discussion. Repeat - Let the members decide what is worthy of discussion. 

I think you are making a huge mistake, and you do not fully understand the overall negative impact these decisions will have on this board, long-term. 

I believe these decisions will overall have a negative impact on this board. Fans have enough rules when they visit a message board. If we start making them have to post in certain threads, at certain times, about certain topics, then I believe it will end up impacting the overall attendance. 

Why do we need to micromanage this board so much? Just let people talk about what they want to. If they make a thread then members can decide if it is worthy of discussion. Repeat - Let the members decide what is worthy of discussion. 

I think you are making a huge mistake, and you do not fully understand the overall negative impact these decisions will have on this board, long-term. 

I believe you're entirely missing the point. Entirely.

But again, our objective is to improve the experience, not impact it negatively. 

The moment message boards say that members have to stay 100% on topic, then I am out. I am not here to work that hard, unless I am in the mood to. I am not anteing up unless it is my choice to do so. No one should, because none of us are getting paid here.

Then why the hell are you advocating specific topics?