Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

'Mr. 500'

oldunclemark

Peyton needs 3 to get to 500 at Seattle..

....and he averages 3 a game

all-time NFL TD passes (after 2 weeks of 2014)

1. Brett Favre (retired) 508

2. Peyton Manning - 497

3. Dan Marino (retired) 420

4. Drew Brees - 366

5. Tom Brady - 361

I'm going to the jets game.  I would love to see Peyton tie and break the record that day.  But I realize it's a long shot.  He needs 12 more TDs to break, so that's an average of 4 a game.  I'm thinking his best bet is 5 TDs against the jets, and 7 between the Cardinals and Seahawks.  Whenever Peyton retires, I think his total TD count at that point will remain the best ever for a long, long time.  Only guy who could possibly break it is Brees.  If Brees doesn't, I don't know if any QB currently in the league will come close to breaking it.

Time to drool at stats boys and girls.

It's actually funny how Peyton's career totally mirrors that of Favre.

Only Favre still to this day gets bashed for not winning more than 1 SB.

Players get knocked for lack of production..

...Cant knock 'em for extreme production...

500 TDs with a year off for injury.. Farve never missed time.

Peyton will be Mr. 500 Sunday. It speaks for itself

Well Favre didn't play his rookie year in Atlanta, he only threw like 4-5 passes

Not really. Favre put up those career totals because he played for an extremely long time, Manning averages a lot more TDs and Yards per year than Favre did. And Peyton gets a ton of criticism for only having one ring, probably more than Favre ever did.

Not really. Favre put up those career totals because he played for an extremely long time, Manning averages a lot more TDs and Yards per year than Favre did. And Peyton gets a ton of criticism for only having one ring, probably more than Favre ever did.

Yeah but Brett played 10 years in an era where you could be physical with wr's....very physical I might add.....Peyton played 4....'98-'02....Favre '92(his first start came that year) to 2002....That certainly don't take away anything either has done but its not a fair comparison

Yeah but Brett played 10 years in an era where you could be physical with wr's....very physical I might add.....Peyton played 4....'98-'02....Favre '92(his first start came that year) to 2002....That certainly don't take away anything either has done but its not a fair comparison

Yeah, Manning played in an entirely different era to Favre. There's also a reason he's known as "the Ol' Gunslinger." Dude loved to just chuck it up and hope his guy grabbed it. Brett had no fear of going downfield or taking risks, and he certainly had the INT numbers to show for that, on top of the astronomically high production for the era he played in. Overall, a very different player from the relatively safe play of Peyton, who plays a more intellectual game of attempting to manipulate playcalls to always take advantage of holes in coverage.

Polar opposites who achieved similar results. There is a Yin and Yang quality to the Favre/Manning comparison, and imo, it just makes it all the more fun.

Yeah it has gotten so much more watered down. I am more impressed with the past guys then the current/new ones really.......

Yes Farve never missed time but there was quite a few times he should have. There was a spell when all he did was hurt the Packers by being on the field. The coach didn't have the nerve to bench him. Farve was a gunslinger for sure but his ego was bigger.

I'm going to the jets game.  I would love to see Peyton tie and break the record that day.  But I realize it's a long shot.  He needs 12 more TDs to break, so that's an average of 4 a game.  I'm thinking his best bet is 5 TDs against the jets, and 7 between the Cardinals and Seahawks.  Whenever Peyton retires, I think his total TD count at that point will remain the best ever for a long, long time.  Only guy who could possibly break it is Brees.  If Brees doesn't, I don't know if any QB currently in the league will come close to breaking it.

That would be pretty cool if you get the chance to be there when he breaks the record.

However, I hope he breaks it on Sunday.

Not Drool......   Admire and Appreciate.

and as for the 2nd bolded comment,  So does Peyton (by those who love to Bash him)

The era might affect yards but it wouldn't change TD passes.....you stull have to get the bal into the edn zone before you throw it away or run out of downs.

That's why 2 none of the five players began their careers recently..and no young players are on line to break this record

3 TDs against the Seahawks in Seattle is a tall order. Don't think he'll hit 500 until week 4. 

Favre holds this record mainly out of longevity... if you go by the TDs/game and yards/game stats, Manning wins easily. I'm not a huge fan of the current era where defenses aren't allowed to play defense, but his production and consistency are unmatched.

All records are broken, eventually. I don't think anything current is going to hold up forever. Not with the way the game has changed, and continues to change. 

3 TDs against the Seahawks in Seattle is a tall order. Don't think he'll hit 500 until week 4. 

Favre holds this record mainly out of longevity... if you go by the TDs/game and yards/game stats, Manning wins easily. I'm not a huge fan of the current era where defenses aren't allowed to play defense, but his production and consistency are unmatched.

All records are broken, eventually. I don't think anything current is going to hold up forever. Not with the way the game has changed, and continues to change.

3 is a lot, GoP...

But for Denver to win....he has to throw 3 or more...

But Phil Rivers did well vs. Seattle using Denver's offense. right?

Seattle dares you to beat them in the secondary..what if you do?

I dont think Manning's record will be broken by anyone young coming up...

I dont see that player..and I see more foolishly mobile QBs getting season ending hurts

The only reason Peyton is doing this in less time than Favre is because it's just easier to do since Favre. Besides, it's not like he's beating Favre to 500 by 10 years or something.

Brees isn't even in the same universe as these 2. Peyton was out there since 1998. Regardless of the few breaks he'll get towards the end, his stats are legit. Brees couldn't even stay on the field until this era.

Marino is still the king in my book when it comes to passing. Yds/Tds he was a great qb. His numbers (especially his 84 campaign) are just crazy in a different era. I love the game. Different qbs did it differently...watching Peyton play chess out there is so exciting and fun to watch. Watching Favre make crazy throws with guys drapped on him or off the wrong foot was amazing....the classic no..no..no..no..yes guy! Marino with his arm and mechanics and the beauty of his throws...just majestic. Add in guys like Montana with his cool under pressure, Brady with the ease of how he manipulates a defense and disects them...Brees and his airel displays down the field...I've seen some beautiful football...and hope to see it a little while longer...and perhaps we will be singing the praises of Andrew soon. I noticed last night that Matt Ryan was on pace with Peyton and Marino in yds and tds too....so there will be plenty of young guns there to break the record some day...ESPECIALLY the yardage ones....and Peyton will graciously congratulate them I'm sure.

LOL

Did you just suggest Favre gets more flack for one SB than Peyton does? lmao

Seriously. . . I'm sitting D Thomas for Kelvin Benjamin and Keenan Allen in Fantasy because I have a feeling Seattle might shut him down.  

Seriously. . . I'm sitting D Thomas for Kelvin Benjamin and Keenan Allen in Fantasy because I have a feeling Seattle might shut him down.  

Smart. If you've got other viable guys I'd do the same. I always try to avoid picking up guys from any teams in the NFC West besides Seattle... because they have to play Seattle. Twice. Actually all of the defenses in that division are tough. 

Yes, absolutely. I think it impacted the NFCCG in 2009.

I'm trying to remember the details... Favre got a high-low hit... came out for a play or two, right? 

Was that the game he ended with that God-awful, thrown across his body, on the run INT when he could have run for the first down and a FG attempt?

I'm trying to remember the details... Favre got a high-low hit... came out for a play or two, right? 

Was that the game he ended with that God-awful, thrown across his body, on the run INT when he could have run for the first down and a FG attempt?

Yup.

Imagine that, a 40 year old QB gets knocked out of the game on a high-low hit -- illegal, by the way -- and later in the game, he declines an opportunity to run for a first down... I wonder what that was about... Later on, we find out there was a cash bounty on knocking him out of the game.

Your question was whether it impacted games. You didn't say it had to be the single most important and ultimately deciding factor.

Smart. If you've got other viable guys I'd do the same. I always try to avoid picking up guys from any teams in the NFC West besides Seattle... because they have to play Seattle. Twice. Actually all of the defenses in that division are tough. 

Of course on the other side for defenses I always just go to the waiver wire and look up what team's playing Jacksonville or Oakland or the Giants or some team like that.  

The Saints also knocked Kurt Warner out of the game the previous week. While the play was legal, it was a cheap shot and only had one purpose.

No, that was the game that ended in OT after when he never set foot (broken foot that is) on the field after a bogus PI penalty against the Vikings and this. But I suppose it's still either A) Favre's fault or B) A completely untainted win in the end by the Saints.

bounty-overshadows-this_a_GIFSoupcom.gif