Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

breakdown of Richardson and run game as a whole.

Narcosys

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent breakdown as usual by Kyle, Glad he also mentioned Thorntons key block on that play as well, if Thornton misses that block then it doesn't matter what Allen and Doyle are doing because Richardson does not get anywhere close to that far, But excellent use of getting Doyle and Allen up to the second level, Also in my opinion I'd consider throwing 1 more wrinkle in that play design....If Cherilus is physically capable of reaching that Linebacker comes across his vision like he did (#95) then Im telling Cherilus....go up and get that Linebacker if he cross your line of vision or actually that goes for any other player that crosses his line of vision...He got caught ball watching on that play

" I didn't see any real improvements from Richardson in the areas that plagued him most last season: vision, instinct in using his blockers' momentum and burst through creases. For the most part, Richardson simply took what the offensive line gave him and left yards on the field by making his cuts a half-second too slowly. "

I always wonder when analysts say a RB lacks vision are we talking strictly straight ahead tunnel vision with no peripheral awareness at all or just not letting the line in front of you create holes so you can run to the daylight? 

How's a guy make it to the NFL who can't freaking see the field out of the corner of his eyes? You can't teach vision; either you have it or you don't. 

" I didn't see any real improvements from Richardson in the areas that plagued him most last season: vision, instinct in using his blockers' momentum and burst through creases. For the most part, Richardson simply took what the offensive line gave him and left yards on the field by making his cuts a half-second too slowly. "

I always wonder when analysts say a RB lacks vision are we talking strictly straight ahead tunnel with no peripheral awareness at all or just not letting the line in front of you create holes so you can run to the daylight?

Ib think it's a combo of both. Tunnel visioning to what's straight ahead and missing what is to the sides. Of course instinct could also play a role in the "seeing" the holes developing before they actual happen. He's more reactive than proactive so he hits the holes 'late'.

" I didn't see any real improvements from Richardson in the areas that plagued him most last season: vision, instinct in using his blockers' momentum and burst through creases. For the most part, Richardson simply took what the offensive line gave him and left yards on the field by making his cuts a half-second too slowly. "

I always wonder when analysts say a RB lacks vision are we talking strictly straight ahead tunnel vision with no peripheral awareness at all or just not letting the line in front of you create holes so you can run to the daylight?

How's a guy make it to the NFL who can't freaking see the field out of the corner of his eyes? You can't teach vision; either you have it or you don't.

Well, the Alabama offensive line can make any RB look good.

Mark Ingram struggled too, he's finally having a good year (even though it's his contract year so it's no surprise)

And if not for Lacy dropping his weight and getting in shape, he probably wouldn't be rookie of the year or doing good in his 2nd year now

Well, the Alabama offensive line can make any RB look good.

Mark Ingram struggled too, he's finally having a good year (even though it's his contract year so it's no surprise)

And if not for Lacy dropping his weight and getting in shape, he probably wouldn't be rookie of the year or doing good in his 2nd year now

I will concede that point TK. HC Nick Saban can hide a lot of problems or make a RBs decision making very simple based on the penetration created in front of you. but how does TR go from a highly coveted draft pick to  "2.92 yards per carry?" That's just pathetic. Yes, I know a back is only as good as the lanes created ahead of him. I get that. But, Bradshaw chews up chucks of yards all TR does is collide with LBs, get tackled, & fall down. I will give TR 4-6 games to improve, however I don't feel overly optimistic right now. 

From IndyStar: 

"Say this about Richardson: He stands up the questions. People said last week was one of my best games, but I fumbled twice," he said. 'Me running hard; that's me. People didn't get to see that last year because ... I was confused. I didn't know (the Colts' system). Now I do."

Therein lies my problem: TR says all the right things, works his tail off, never hides from public scrutiny, but right now he just continues to struggle." Swell guy vs lackluster production. Sigh...

For me, I think the point here is the Colts don't need to have a kiler run game.  They just need to have a run game that can get them around 4 yards per carry consistently.  That way it makes 2nd and 3rd downs manageable and opens up options for play action passing and what not.  The run game just needs to compliment the passing game enough to keep defenses honest.  The Eagles were daring us to run in the first half and we did, with great success.  the second half they clamped down on it and Pep didn't adjust his gameplan so it was less effective.  If we are going to have this "score first" offense then Pep (or Luck) needs to do a better job adjusting to the defense.

For me, I think the point here is the Colts don't need to have a kiler run game.  They just need to have a run game that can get them around 4 yards per carry consistently.  That way it makes 2nd and 3rd downs manageable and opens up options for play action passing and what not.  The run game just needs to compliment the passing game enough to keep defenses honest.  The Eagles were daring us to run in the first half and we did, with great success.  the second half they clamped down on it and Pep didn't adjust his gameplan so it was less effective.  If we are going to have this "score first" offense then Pep (or Luck) needs to do a better job adjusting to the defense.

Yes, the average yards per carry in the NFL last year was 4.1-4.2. If we get just the average, we would think we had found gold. Our RBs, other than TRich got above this by a solid amount. Bradshaw is 5.3 ypc this season and last year he aveaged 4.5 ypc. Ballard had 4.8 ypc and Donald Brown had 5.3 ypc. 

I was Happy with what i saw out of Richardson. I thought he did a good job of getting tough yards. Im looking for him to build off of this game. I just hope Pep understands that this Power formation should NOT be run the entire game. he limited the offense against philly and we paid for it in the end. Like the writer said, that formation should be brought out sparingly throughout the game. There are too many Offensive weapons to not use them. 

This is exactly what I posted a few days ago. I'm not sure why everyone on here keeps thinking that if Richardson doesn't consistently break-off 20 plus clips that he stinks. He and Bradshaw aren't those types of backs unless the opponent gives them opportunity as we did Blount in playoff game last year. That hardly ever happens. So I agree with you, if Colts can get 4 yards a clip we are gold. Anything after the fact is bonus, anything under 4 yards consistently we have issues as we did last year

For me, I think the point here is the Colts don't need to have a kiler run game. They just need to have a run game that can get them around 4 yards per carry consistently. That way it makes 2nd and 3rd downs manageable and opens up options for play action passing and what not. The run game just needs to compliment the passing game enough to keep defenses honest. The Eagles were daring us to run in the first half and we did, with great success. the second half they clamped down on it and Pep didn't adjust his gameplan so it was less effective. If we are going to have this "score first" offense then Pep (or Luck) needs to do a better job adjusting to the defense.

We are currently averaging 4.3 average, same as last year. There were also only 10 teams that had 4 or less last year.

Yes, the average yards per carry in the NFL last year was 4.1-4.2. If we get just the average, we would think we had found gold. Our RBs, other than TRich got above this by a solid amount. Bradshaw is 5.3 ypc this season and last year he aveaged 4.5 ypc. Ballard had 4.8 ypc and Donald Brown had 5.3 ypc. 

Do you realize Bradshaw has about the same YPC minus his big 29 yard run against the Eagles?  Trent is running well and so is Ahmad, but both of them get handoffs up the middle when it's obvious and they get stuffed in the backfield.  I think that is the main reason for the YPC not being what most people want. 

Do you realize Bradshaw has about the same YPC minus his big 29 yard run against the Eagles? Trent is running well and so is Ahmad, but both of them get handoffs up the middle when it's obvious and they get stuffed in the backfield. I think that is the main reason for the YPC not being what most people want.

You can tell who truly watches and understands and who doesn't. Trent had a ton of runs for 5 yards are greater. The problem is that occaisionally the OL just gets wrecked and the RB has no chance. If someone gets 3 runs of 6 yards they are averaging 6 ypc. If they get blown up on the 4th run for -2 yards then the average drops to 4 in a single run. And there are a couple of blown up plays per game that damage the average. Nobody ever takes that into account. Stats are contextual.

Excellent breakdown as usual by Kyle, Glad he also mentioned Thorntons key block on that play as well, if Thornton misses that block then it doesn't matter what Allen and Doyle are doing because Richardson does not get anywhere close to that far, But excellent use of getting Doyle and Allen up to the second level, Also in my opinion I'd consider throwing 1 more wrinkle in that play design....If Cherilus is physically capable of reaching that Linebacker comes across his vision like he did (#95) then Im telling Cherilus....go up and get that Linebacker if he cross your line of vision or actually that goes for any other player that crosses his line of vision...He got caught ball watching on that play

Cherilus ball watches every play. Its really frustrating watching him block someone well then just stop because he figures the play is over only to have the person he was blocking make the tackle.

You can tell who truly watches and understands and who doesn't. Trent had a ton of runs for 5 yards are greater. The problem is that occaisionally the OL just gets wrecked and the RB has no chance. If someone gets 3 runs of 6 yards they are averaging 6 ypc. If they get blown up on the 4th run for -2 yards then the average drops to 4 in a single run. And there are a couple of blown up plays per game that damage the average. Nobody ever takes that into account. Stats are contextual.

Thats exactly the difference maker!  There are so many "stat guys"/"put up or shut up" type of fans on this forum that cant see that.  It's easy to type into Trent Richardson stats then copy and paste, and do the same for Ahmad Bradshaw (or any other comparison for that matter) and use that as your arguement.  For real fans you actually see in depth anaylsis, noticing that on 3 & 1 pep calls a run up the gut or consistently running instead of passing on obvious running situations where defense blowsup the middle.  Some people just dont understand... I also havent heard 1 compliment from anybody on how well Trent picks up blitzes or caught passes out of the backfield!!  Alot of fans are so narrow minded who think all a RB is good for is an impressive YPC.

Thats exactly the difference maker! There are so many "stat guys"/"put up or shut up" type of fans on this forum that cant see that. It's easy to type into Trent Richardson stats then copy and paste, and do the same for Ahmad Bradshaw (or any other comparison for that matter) and use that as your arguement. For real fans you actually see in depth anaylsis, noticing that on 3 & 1 pep calls a run up the gut or consistently running instead of passing on obvious running situations where defense blowsup the middle. Some people just dont understand... I also havent heard 1 compliment from anybody on how well Trent picks up blitzes or caught passes out of the backfield!! Alot of fans are so narrow minded who think all a RB is good for is an impressive YPC.

I blame fantasy football. Seems like ever since it got big it's been more of a stat driven league. That's one reason I don't play and can't stand that crap. I enjoy the game more than dissecting everyone's stats. I also can't root for other players or teams. I'm all Colts 24/7/365

I blame fantasy football. Seems like ever since it got big it's been more of a stat driven league. That's one reason I don't play and can't stand that crap. I enjoy the game more than dissecting everyone's stats. I also can't root for other players or teams. I'm all Colts 24/7/365

I never thought of it that way, but it kinda makes sense.  That may be a valid explanation for why so many people care about stats more than the game itself.  Also people who love the game (players included) don't care about stats, its all about the W.

The offensive line as a whole received largely negative feedback in run blocking from Pro Football Focus, grading at negative-3.3 cumulatively. Allen and Doyle, however, combined for a positive-2.3 mark in run blocking. wow thought we did pretty good guess we didnt lol

The Colts ran for about 150 yards and out-gained the Eagles, the NFL's best running team, on the ground.

And the OL had a negative grade according to PFF??

I wasn't wild about the pass blocking,  and I think Pep went to the well too many times on certain runs,  but a negative grade?

If that's the case,  then I'd like more negative grades please......   (smh)

So if stats mean nothing then I guess Trent did pretty well last season ...

His best game to date in a Colts uniform was average yards with 2 fumbles. Maybe fumbling the ball is also just a meaningless stat. Yards don't matter, fumbles don't matter, what matters ? TD's ? Trent doesn't really get those either plus they are stats.

Tell me a player who has bad stats that is any good. That's like saying "my child only gets F's and D's on their report card, but should still be in the running for an academic scholarship ". It don't work that way.

We are all graded on our performances one way or another.

His best game to date in a Colts uniform was average yards with 2 fumbles. Maybe fumbling the ball is also just a meaningless stat. Yards don't matter, fumbles don't matter, what matters ? TD's ? Trent doesn't really get those either plus they are stats.

Tell me a player who has bad stats that is any good. That's like saying "my child only gets F's and D's on their report card, but should still be in the running for an academic scholarship ". It don't work that way.

True enough in a sense. But stats aren't as important to the coaches. The players are graded when the coaches break down film and see who executed plays properly. 

C'mon man, you rely on facts and stats way too much. You gotta subtract 29 yard runs by Bradshaw before comparing him to TRich or you really aren't watching the game. 

" I didn't see any real improvements from Richardson in the areas that plagued him most last season: vision, instinct in using his blockers' momentum and burst through creases. For the most part, Richardson simply took what the offensive line gave him and left yards on the field by making his cuts a half-second too slowly. "

I always wonder when analysts say a RB lacks vision are we talking strictly straight ahead tunnel vision with no peripheral awareness at all or just not letting the line in front of you create holes so you can run to the daylight? 

Using Trich as the example. There ARE holes for him to run to, he doesn`t appear to look for ones to his left as he misses so many.

At a pathetic level, IMO. Throw in his mental and physical slowness and you have a ... less than #1 draft pick.

From IndyStar: 

"Say this about Richardson: He stands up the questions. People said last week was one of my best games, but I fumbled twice," he said. 'Me running hard; that's me. People didn't get to see that last year because ... I was confused. I didn't know (the Colts' system). Now I do."

Therein lies my problem: TR says all the right things, works his tail off, never hides from public scrutiny, but right now he just continues to struggle." Swell guy vs lackluster production. Sigh...

Great blocking opened up to runs for 15+ yards each. He cut the wrong way on both or they would have been longer.

And 2 fumbles. That was his best game. Ugh!

C'mon man, you rely on facts and stats way too much. You gotta subtract 29 yard runs by Bradshaw before comparing him to TRich or you really aren't watching the game.

I don't understand this reasoning at all. Bradshaw used his ability to get that 29 yard run and somehow now we take that from him so we can compare to trent? Trent had literally the same chances as Bradshaw to get that same 29 yard run. He was getting runs of 5 a carry as well. We don't penalize Bradshaw for being able to create longer runs out of 5 yards.

I don't understand this reasoning at all. Bradshaw used his ability to get that 29 yard run and somehow now we take that from him so we can compare to trent? Trent had literally the same chances as Bradshaw to get that same 29 yard run. He was getting runs of 5 a carry as well. We don't penalize Bradshaw for being able to create longer runs out of 5 yards.

You would be right, my friend. I was lending a little sarcasm. Taking away a 29 yard run is a huge stretch to say Bradshaw didn't have a better game. 

The thing about averages is that it takes the larger runs to boost your average. The average running back on the average team is going to take 15-20 hand offs a game. A certain % are going to be poorly blocked and go for negative yards, many are going to be "average" and go for 4-6. Great running backs 1-2 times a game make someone miss and take a 4 yard run into a 20 yard run.

When they talk about TRich they are correct his vision is not great and he does not have much "wiggle". Great running backs use there vision to start a run to the inside and bate players into a hole before bouncing a run outside. (It does not always work) Great running backs get a feel for a way a defence is playing and exploit this.

Other then raw numbers Bradshaw is better then trich because he is a larger home run threat. This is a latent effect of a great running back, they draw heavier run stopping formations and free up more opportunities in the passing game. TRich does not scare many defences as a runner or a catcher out of the backfield. Sure he will run though tackles but someone else will clean it up.

Bradshaw took a terrible pounding in NY over the years, indy is using him more wisely as a WR, catching passes and limiting the heavy contact he takes. But a big part of Bradshaw's his long term health will be trich handling ~10-15 carries a game.

The good news for TRich is that him and bradshaw make a good 1-2 combo. Most teams need two guys in today's NFL, and they two of them play well together. They have contrasting styles and body types. TRich can bruise and beat up defenders, and if a defender gets used to the straight line approach of trich, a guy like bradshaw coming in and bouncing one is even more effective. Same is true the other way chasing brashaw could get defences gassed and flat footted trich and he can pound out some extra yards.

Im not going to get on trich too much but him putting that ball on the floor ended up costing the colts the game. It was a decent example of where he is kinda inept. You know the eagles are capable of scoring points fast, you know you have a lead, ball security is the most important thing. He has to accept and understand his role, he is there to take some load of bradshaw, (even if he is still the "starter" that is pretty much my opinion of the situation.) You are in to eat clock and not mess up. He could easily lose the carries he has now if he botches one like that again. That situation your dream RB is bettis, you want to get some first downs and eat clock. Even a 7 minute FG drive is not bad at that point, but you can't suddenly get stuffed for 2 ypc and then cough it up in crunch time.