Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Trent Richardson [Merge]

LordHelpOurColts

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question becomes what are fair and legal grounds for the suspension which would allow the Colts to void the contract?

A pregnant girlfriend dealing with complications over child birth may not qualify as a legit reason to suspend Trent.

I personally think that's iffy.....

But you and others may feel differently. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Yea, and you have the overweight issues, and not making himself reachable to the team the day after Bradshaw broke his leg. Etc

The point from the Colts/employer point of view isn't that he missed walk through because of the situation, it is that he didn't let them know and that it wasn't the first time he missed work without letting them know.

Bottom line, Trent acted irresponsibly multiple times. That will get you in trouble at work.

Youre telling me the colts suspended Richardson because he didn't call them when he was absent for a walkthrough concerned about his unborn child? That's pretty crappy of the colts

I was recently in a car accident where I was rear ended with both my sons, ages 6 and 2, in the car with me. The first call I made was to 911 the very next call was to my Job to let them know what happened.

He could have called a teammate, a position coach, his agent or anyone else to let someone know of his emergency. You dont just go AWOL. Unless you are incapacitated, you are obligated to maintain open lines of communication with you're employer. Especially if they pay you millions.

The union will surely fight this,  so the Colts can't count on gaining the cap space from cutting Trent.

It may happen,  but it might not.....    I wouldn't bet on it....

I think Colts can cite more than just his no contact with team before walk through as a reason for suspension.  He was 20 pounds over the weight they requested him to be at.

I was recently in a car accident where I was rear ended with both my sons, ages 6 and 2, in the car with me. The first call I made was to 911 the very next call was to my Job to let them know what happened.

He could have called a teammate, a position coach, his agent or anyone else to let someone know of his emergency. You dont just go AWOL. Unless you are incapacitated, you are obligated to maintain open lines of communication with you're employer. Especially if they pay you millions.

It's baffling to me that people genuinely don't seem to understand this.

That or they have an axe to grind...

How many here are required to at the very least let your employer know you aren't going to make it to work? Pretty standard in most situations

Anyone who works has to contact their employer or be counted as a no call no show, but as I do not know their policies or procedures concerning this kind of thing I am not going to judge Richardson.  Some companies are cool with just texting your boss and others require you to call and talk to your boss and a voicemail is not even good enough.  Who knows what the Colts policies is.  Maybe he is required to talk to someone and he just sent a text on his way to the hospital.  

Ultimately, Trent made his bed long before this situation as there are reports of him missing time before and being overweight.  I am sure the Colts just made sure he did not follow the policies to a tee and then used it to suspend him and void his contract.

I have to imagine if he was a model citizen for this team and the same situation happened with his gf and baby that the team would be understanding.  

Yea, and you have the overweight issues, and not making himself reachable to the team the day after Bradshaw broke his leg. Etc

I don't think overweight will be enough.   Otherwise,  that would happen all over the NFL all the time.

I don't recall the story about not being able to reach TRich after Bradshaw broke his leg.

The only story I know about not reaching TRich is the Saturday walk-through the day before the AFC Championship when TRich was with his girlfriend as she was having complications with her labor.     That's the only one I've heard of.

I think Colts can cite more than just his no contact with team before walk through as a reason for suspension.  He was 20 pounds over the weight they requested him to be at.

20 pounds?    I've not read that anywhere....   Can you tell me where I can read that?

But even so,  I'm not sure THAT is an offense where the team can void a contract.    As I said in another post,  if that allowed teams to void contracts without penalty,  I think teams would do that all the time.    There are lots of overweight players in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong.    I am NOT defending TRich.   I'm just thinking out loud about the Colts' ability to void a contract and gain cap relief.     We may try,  but that doesn't mean we'll win.

Yes, you caught me. I love the Patriots and come here to show my love for them.

TRich sux and most of us knew that when the trade was made. The organization will catch a lot of heat if they use this to void his contract. They shouldn't have made the trade in the first place. Just cut him and pay him what he's owed.

Why do you care? Your not a Colts fan.

20 pounds?    I've not read that anywhere....   Can you tell me where I can read that?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/9/8006605/trent-richardson-colts-suspension-contract

Per the report, the Colts are unhappy with Richardson due to "weight issues, accessibility and an absence." Richardson had significant weight gain throughout the course of the 2014-15 season, getting up to 240 pounds from 225 at the start of the year. The weight gains started after Richardson suffered a hamstring injury on Oct. 19.

That's also assuming they wanted him at 225 and not at 215 or 220. He could have been up to 25 lbs overweight. 

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/9/8006605/trent-richardson-colts-suspension-contract

Per the report, the Colts are unhappy with Richardson due to "weight issues, accessibility and an absence." Richardson had significant weight gain throughout the course of the 2014-15 season, getting up to 240 pounds from 225 at the start of the year. The weight gains started after Richardson suffered a hamstring injury on Oct. 19.

That's also assuming they wanted him at 225 and not at 215 or 220. He could have been up to 25 lbs overweight. 

Thanks.   Didn't see that before.

But if that's the case,  if TRich gained the weight after the hamstring injury,  then I think our chances of citing weight gain as a reason to void the contract are almost nil.

Guys gain weight all the time after suffering a leg injury and you can't work out or do cardio work.  

I think if we can't make the "he didn't call the team when he was at the hospital" issue stick,  then I don't think our chances are very realistic.

Heck, I've been complaining about TRich's weight since the middle of the 2013 season.   Too much baggage. 

But gaining weight after an injury is common in the NFL.    I think we'd lose that fight.....

Holder's report says his weight limit was 227.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/02/17/conduct-detrimental-colts-trent-richardson-odds/23580037/

It's not known how much Richardson was fined under this policy or how far over his 227-pound weight limit he was.

It also states that CBA stipulates fines for being overweight. That might mean that a suspension for conduct detrimental is out of compliance with CBA rules, but that's my own inference. 

Anyone who works has to contact their employer or be counted as a no call no show, but as I do not know their policies or procedures concerning this kind of thing I am not going to judge Richardson.  Some companies are cool with just texting your boss and others require you to call and talk to your boss and a voicemail is not even good enough.  Who knows what the Colts policies is.  Maybe he is required to talk to someone and he just sent a text on his way to the hospital.  

Ultimately, Trent made his bed long before this situation as there are reports of him missing time before and being overweight.  I am sure the Colts just made sure he did not follow the policies to a tee and then used it to suspend him and void his contract.

I have to imagine if he was a model citizen for this team and the same situation happened with his gf and baby that the team would be understanding.  

Especially considering the big love they gave T.Y. on his new baby girl.

This organization hasn't shown me anything that would have me doubt that someone would have said "Ok Trent, if you need anything just let us know."

For all of you that have been in the hospital with emergencies with your children you know much time is spent waiting. I call nonsense that he couldn't have sent text notifications to the team letting them know.

As a father of 2, I agree with this.  I've been there.

While I don't like to rip on a guy because I know full well how scary that moment would be for him, at the same time when stuff happens to me, I'm expected to call work and notify them if I can't show up for some reason.

He had time to notify a member of the Colts staff what was going on.  

Too much of the Trent bashing in this thread is due to him being remarkably underwhelming in his time here.  It seems to makes his lack of contact with the team during what he alledgedly went through with his girlfriend a fireable offense.  Could he have called?  Absolutely and that is on him.  But so many have cited what would have happened to them had they done the same and I have to believe that most employers, after they got they got the scoop on why they were a no show, would have completely understood and forgiven the "offense."  If this was a situation with another player who was performing better - there would have not been an issue.

I want TR gone as much as the next guy.  He has had enough time to prove his worth and it has fallen short.  But if indeed the Colts are going about getting rid of him in this manner - it just feels a little shady to me.

Thanks. Didn't see that before.

But if that's the case, if TRich gained the weight after the hamstring injury, then I think our chances of citing weight gain as a reason to void the contract are almost nil.

Guys gain weight all the time after suffering a leg injury and you can't work out or do cardio work.

I think if we can't make the "he didn't call the team when he was at the hospital" issue stick, then I don't think our chances are very realistic.

Heck, I've been complaining about TRich's weight since the middle of the 2013 season. Too much baggage.

But gaining weight after an injury is common in the NFL. I think we'd lose that fight.....

gaining 20+ pounds in three months is common? Where?

I don't think overweight will be enough. Otherwise, that would happen all over the NFL all the time.

I don't recall the story about not being able to reach TRich after Bradshaw broke his leg.

The only story I know about not reaching TRich is the Saturday walk-through the day before the AFC Championship when TRich was with his girlfriend as she was having complications with her labor. That's the only one I've heard of.

Mike Wells wrote about it like 2 weeks ago

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12300689&src=desktop

Too much of the Trent bashing in this thread is due to him being remarkably underwhelming in his time here.  It seems to makes his lack of contact with the team during what he alledgedly went through with his girlfriend a fireable offense.  Could he have called?  Absolutely and that is on him.  But so many have cited what would have happened to them had they done the same and I have to believe that most employers, after they got they got the scoop on why they were a no show, would have completely understood and forgiven the "offense."  If this was a situation with another player who was performing better - there would have not been an issue.

I want TR gone as much as the next guy.  He has had enough time to prove his worth and it has fallen short.  But if indeed the Colts are going about getting rid of him in this manner - it just feels a little shady to me.

He was already one foot out the door. The only thing that's changed is that there's a possibility for the guarantee to be voided. If this situation is at all frivolous or contrived, then he'll get his money. But they were probably going to get rid of him already.

He was already one foot out the door. The only thing that's changed is that there's a possibility for the guarantee to be voided. If this situation is at all frivolous or contrived, then he'll get his money. But they were probably going to get rid of him already.

That I completely agree with.  His time as a Colt is almost assuredly over regardless of the outcome of this.

gaining 20+ pounds in three months is common? Where?

Well...   first, we don't know if it was 20+ pounds in three months.

Second....   this is the NFL,  and if you're not working out,  odds are, you're putting on weight.

Third....   why is this even an issue?    I don't think putting on weight is enough to be able to void out a contract.

Well...   first, we don't know if it was 20+ pounds in three months.

Second....   this is the NFL,  and if you're not working out,  odds are, you're putting on weight.

Third....   why is this even an issue?    I don't think putting on weight is enough to be able to void out a contract.

A team can release a player for whatever reason they want. But I don't think failing to make weight can trigger a void of guaranteed money. It might be possible to include that kind of clause in an individual contract, but that would seem to contradict the CBA's prescribed handling of weight violations.

The suspension is the sticking point, I think.

A team can release a player for whatever reason they want. But I don't think failing to make weight can trigger a void of guaranteed money. It might be possible to include that kind of clause in an individual contract, but that would seem to contradict the CBA's prescribed handling of weight violations.

The suspension is the sticking point, I think.

Yes.....      now about that suspension....?

It's a two game suspension.    The first was the AFC Championship game.

The 2nd would be game one of the 2015 regular season.

Do we think we can't void Trent's deal until AFTER that game in September?

Does the full punishment (suspension) have to be served before any possible voiding takes place?

Yes.....      now about that suspension....?

It's a two game suspension.    The first was the AFC Championship game.

The 2nd would be game one of the 2015 regular season.

Do we think we can't void Trent's deal until AFTER that game in September?

Does the full punishment (suspension) have to be served before any possible voiding takes place?

I don't know, but I'm inclined to say that if he's released before the suspension is fully served, it doesn't make a difference. He's already been suspended. Technically, if I understand correctly, the guarantee has already been voided, whether they release him or not. They could release him five games into the season, and wouldn't have to pay the remainder of his salary (he's not a vested veteran until after he plays 6 games in 2015, is my understanding). 

Again, this is all based on my limited understanding of the rules.

Well... first, we don't know if it was 20+ pounds in three months.

Second.... this is the NFL, and if you're not working out, odds are, you're putting on weight.

Third.... why is this even an issue? I don't think putting on weight is enough to be able to void out a contract.

so if a player isn't working out they normally gain 1+ pounds a week? I have a hard time buying that. I'm sure most change their diet accordingly

so if a player isn't working out they normally gain 1+ pounds a week? I have a hard time buying that. I'm sure most change their diet accordingly

Hey, I don't know what Trent's problem's are.... 

I don't know why he gained so much weight so fast?    But that's what the Colts are now leaking to the media.

Typically,  a player like a lineman is the type who could gain a lot of weight pretty quickly.    It's less common in positions like RB's.  But everything about Trent seems strange to me.

It's a mystery.....    I wish I had better answers....   but I'm flat out for Trent...

Hey, I don't know what Trent's problem's are.... 

I don't know why he gained so much weight so fast?    But that's what the Colts are now leaking to the media.

Typically,  a player like a lineman is the type who could gain a lot of weight pretty quickly.    It's less common in positions like RB's.  But everything about Trent seems strange to me.

It's a mystery.....    I wish I had better answers....   but I'm flat out for Trent...

"I don't know why he gained so much weight so fast?"

Simple, Coaches and trainers cant babysit these guys all the time...If they could Jamarcus Russell and several other may have not ate themselves out of the league, I think some people have this allusion that these players are guarded like a hawk 24/7 and don't have a lot of time for themselves...They obviously do...Look no further then Twitter for that....At least the ones that are not busting there extra time in the gym trying to improve instead some feed there faces nonstop or ones that drink a lot and parties....Coaches put plans in place no doubt....That don't mean they are always followed

"I don't know why he gained so much weight so fast?"

Simple, Coaches and trainers cant babysit these guys all the time...If they could Jamarcus Russell and several other may have not ate themselves out of the league, I think some people have this allusion that these players are guarded like a hawk 24/7 and don't have a lot of time for themselves...They obviously do...Look no further then Twitter for that....At least the ones that are not busting there extra time in the gym trying to improve instead some feed there faces nonstop or ones that drink a lot and parties....Coaches put plans in place no doubt....That don't mean they are always followed

Respectfully,  I don't think anything with football players is as simple as you lay it out....

Players don't have much free time during the season.

It's the off-season when they tend to go crazy.

If Trent gained that much that that fast during the season,  it's yet another bad sign for him.   Even with an injury,  that's a lot of weight in a short amount of time.    That just shouldn't happen.

It takes me back to comments from Brown's players about Trent's one year in Cleveland....   one was quoted as saying...  that Trent had a lot to learn about how to be a professional.    I suspect that's just one of a number of problems with Trent.

When players don't follow the plan that is put in place for them,  they soon find themselves on a new team.......

Respectfully,  I don't think anything with football players is as simple as you lay it out....

Players don't have much free time during the season.

It's the off-season when they tend to go crazy.

If Trent gained that much that that fast during the season,  it's yet another bad sign for him.   Even with an injury,  that's a lot of weight in a short amount of time.    That just shouldn't happen.

It takes me back to comments from Brown's players about Trent's one year in Cleveland....   one was quoted as saying...  that Trent had a lot to learn about how to be a professional.    I suspect that's just one of a number of problems with Trent.

When players don't follow the plan that is put in place for them,  they soon find themselves on a new team.......

I was referring to the offseason