Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colin Kapernick fined for inappropriate language

Valpo2004

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-francisco-49ers-colin-kaepernick-fined-offensive-language-091714

Interesting case here.  Colin Kapernick was flagged for inappropriate language and later drew a fine for it.  The person who he allegedly said in inappropriate words to says he didn't say anything.

I really don't like the idea of flagging and fining players for language on the field.  The biggest problem with this is that it's likely to be unevenly disciplined based on what each refs see's as offensive.

I remember in high school I used to have a couple of teachers who thought the word "suck" was a cuss word and would hand out detentions for it's usage.  One of my 2 detentions ever that I received in high school was because I let that word slip in the wrong class.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-francisco-49ers-colin-kaepernick-fined-offensive-language-091714

Interesting case here.  Colin Kapernick was flagged for inappropriate language and later drew a fine for it.  The person who he allegedly said in inappropriate words to says he didn't say anything.

I really don't like the idea of flagging and fining players for language on the field.  The biggest problem with this is that it's likely to be unevenly disciplined based on what each refs see's as offensive.

I remember in high school I used to have a couple of teachers who thought the word "suck" was a cuss word and would hand out detentions for it's usage.  One of my 2 detentions ever that I received in high school was because I let that word slip in the wrong class.

It's not supposed to be subjective, nor arbitrary.  Refs were instructed only to intervene if they are right be side the 2 players in violation, and the language essentially has to be racially and/or sexually oriented.  Here's what teams were warned with-

"Zero tolerance on verbal abuse – Players will be flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct if they verbally abuse an opponent in any way, even in a joking manner. Specifically, the officials will be looking for any inappropriate racial or sexual-orientation comments.

“It needs to be directed specifically at a player or an official, particularly any derogatory, personal statements that are made toward players, those kinds of things,” Waggoner said. “We won’t have rabbit ears. If it is a in-your-face, one-on-one type of thing we are trying prevent.”

They did get rid of the throat slash and group end zone celebrations a long while back. That brought on the No Fun League chants. I've seen that one on one verbal slugfest lead to someone throwing a punch on TV before.

It's not supposed to be subjective, nor arbitrary.  Refs were instructed only to intervene if they are right be side the 2 players in violation, and the language essentially has to be racially and/or sexually oriented.  Here's what teams were warned with-

"Zero tolerance on verbal abuse – Players will be flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct if they verbally abuse an opponent in any way, even in a joking manner. Specifically, the officials will be looking for any inappropriate racial or sexual-orientation comments.

“It needs to be directed specifically at a player or an official, particularly any derogatory, personal statements that are made toward players, those kinds of things,” Waggoner said. “We won’t have rabbit ears. If it is a in-your-face, one-on-one type of thing we are trying prevent.”

They did get rid of the throat slash and group end zone celebrations a long while back. That brought on the No Fun League chants. I've seen that one on one verbal slugfest lead to someone throwing a punch on TV before.

It says they will be looking for racial or sexual orientation comments. . . it doesn't limit it to those.

What constitutes verbal abuse is subjective.  Especially when you can flag them for doing so even in a joking manner.

You cant be on the field sayin * this * that. There is to many cameras and microphones to be sayin anything vulgar.. American media is just waiting for any tinnie tiny thing that looks bad for the nfl. God for bid a grown man uses foul language in this so called free country

Maybe the NFL should start at the coaching level? All through Jr. High and High School the coaches used that type of talk non stop. I don't recall anyone getting bent out of shape over it. It was just considered part of the game on the mental side of it. If you could make a player lose his cool over some words then more power to you. I wish I had a hundred dollars for every time I heard words about my mother or my sister. Plus another hundred for my sexual preference. It was all forgotten about when the game was over and we all shook hands. End of deal. All this political correctness crap is slowly taking what is known as a mans world away. Men's locker rooms now gone. Men cant cuss. Men cant fart. Men cant act like men. I think there is way too much sensitivity. And I use that word lightly.

It says they will be looking for racial or sexual orientation comments. . . it doesn't limit it to those.

What constitutes verbal abuse is subjective.  Especially when you can flag them for doing so even in a joking manner.

I guess. So.  I t seems like it falls under "fightin' words" up in each others grill. They can't really define it, they 'just know it when I hear it"'

Already it's afasilure. I hear Kaep and the victim both deny it . LOL

It wasn't to long ago (like...Peyton was playing in a SB before this changed) that everybody thought Goodell was a tyrant who dished out to many and to harsh in nature penalties. Now he's suddenly not just lenient, but overprotective to the point of corruption. Look for the next fine to be when a player looks at another player wrong to smooth this image over before we're on to the next one...

I guess. So.  I t seems like it falls under "fightin' words" up in each others grill. They can't really define it, they 'just know it when I hear it"'

Already it's afasilure. I hear Kaep and the victim both deny it . LOL

I don't mind if they ban racial and sexual orientation comments as long as they can explicitly define what they are.  

Otherwise every Ref is going to be making his own rules as to what constitutes "inappropriate language"  

And maybe they should consider having the refs report the language to the head office somehow so the player can be fined without having an in-game penalty.  That way it doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the game from the fans.  I understand for some offenses you have to have an in game penalty. . . unnecessary roughness, fighting, late hits, etc.  Because those things are important to the safety of the game and players need to know that doing stuff like that is going to jeopardize their career.  If for no other reason then coaches hate 15 yard penalties.

But the language thing is not harmful directly harmful to anyone's safety.  If you want to get rid of racial and sexual orientation remarks, I don't have a huge problem with that, but fine players separately from in-game penalties.

And please start fining based on percentage of salary or cap hit or something like that.   

Its time for NFL players to stop whining about rule breaking .......

....Just pay the fine...and play the game

..and again..Kap should be fined for giving that game to the Bears. he should have been cussing himself out.

He probably did curse himself out lol. Dude looked like he was about to cry at the end of the game.