Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

9/17 Practice Report

HtownColt

@gmbremer: No sign of Jerrell Freeman as practice begins. Rest day for Reggie Wayne, possibly Ahmad Bradshaw. #Colts

@gmbremer: Looks like a rest day as well for D'Qwell Jackson. #Colts

@gmbremer: Greg Toler comes out with a red jersey. Limited participation? #Colts

@gmbremer: Pagano said Tuesday some players were banged up and might miss practice. Would play Sunday. #Colts

@KBowenColts: Chuck Pagano lists the following players who didn’t practice: Butler (neck), Freeman (hamstring), RJF (ankle), Jones (ankle), Reitz (ankle)

@gmbremer: RJF missed practice today with an ankle injury. Khaled Holmes was full participant. #Colts

@gmbremer: Holmes took "lion's share" of first-team reps today. Will be monitored throughout week. #Colts

@KBowenColts: One addition to the @Colts injury report that Chuck Pagano gave earlier today was T.Y. Hilton (groin) as a limited participant.

@mchappell51: #colts rookie LB Jonathan Newsome fined $22,050 by NFL for blind-side hit on Eagles Chris Polk. He will appeal. @rtv6

22 G's????!!!!

Does he even have that kind of money?! He's a ROOKIE!!!!

:scorebad:

I thought that too. He's on a 4 year contract @ $2.4 Mil. His sign on bonus is $178k. So hopefully he hasn't spent all of that! lol!

I wish I could be a rookie and get a nice sign on bonus.

EDIT:

"I was just trying to make a play," Newsome said Wednesday. "Man, $22,000, that’s a lot.

"They got me for a blind-side hit. You can't hit a guy from the blind side."

Newsome plans to appeal the fine. If it stands, it nearly will represent a game check. Newsome's $420,000 base salary calculates to $24,705 per week. Players are paid over 17 weeks during the regular season.

Did Newsome even get that much of a signing bonus?

$178K signing bonus. His weekly check -- if he opted to be paid on a 17 week schedule -- is $24,705, before taxes.

He's appealing the fine, and it's likely that it will be reduced, based on his contract status. That's happened before.

$178K signing bonus. His weekly check -- if he opted to be paid on a 17 week schedule -- is $24,705, before taxes.

He's appealing the fine, and it's likely that it will be reduced, based on his contract status. That's happened before.

Correct.

The comment was made in jest.

Good to hear Holmes is back at it, Hope he continues to progress, Hopefully Hilton will be a go by game time, Having him out on the field with his speed can cause the defense to bracket him and open up plays for someone else to make plus it give the team the chance to be more versatile on offense because you always have to account for him wherever he lines up on the field from any distance, I'd like for Pep to get more creative getting the ball in his hands

the refs have to be wrong on newsome. I watched the game, didn't see any colts defenders hit anyone. he may have hit someone in the fist with his face, but I didn't see it.

Lol no he clearly Destroyed Polk on that return. I thought it was a clean shot but then again you cant hit anyone now a days in the NFL without being flagged. 

I often wonder what players like Dick Butkus, Earl Campbell, Jack Lambert, etc the old school guys think when they see an injury report and a player missed practice for "rest".

Well Earl Campbell might like what he sees.  His body and mind have been ravaged by the game.  The others have to be disgusted with what they see.

Lol no he clearly Destroyed Polk on that return. I thought it was a clean shot but then again you cant hit anyone now a days in the NFL without being flagged. 

I thought it was borderline call at best.  Since the refs were missing so many calls, I can understand them throwing the flag.  But to be fined that much?  Ridiculous.

ITS TIME FOR THE NFL TO START ADMITTING THAT REFS MAKE MISTAKES...

I'm not saying that this is a mistake but the NFL does need to admitting it.

This could be a good thing and a bad thing but it would put more pressure on the refs to make the correct calls.

ITS TIME FOR THE NFL TO START ADMITTING THAT REFS MAKE MISTAKES...

I'm not saying that this is a mistake but the NFL does need to admitting it.

This could be a good thing and a bad thing but it would put more pressure on the refs to make the correct calls.

The NFL admits officiating mistakes all the time. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11527265/replay-officials-miss-seattle-seahawks-percy-harvin-stepping-bounds-51-yard-td-run

Not penalty calls wise though... I know they aren't perfect but they need to make sure refs get penalties right also! Not just rulings!

Only time I say penalties being talked about by the NFL was when they had replacement refs.

Well Earl Campbell might like what he sees.  His body and mind have been ravaged by the game.  The others have to be disgusted with what they see.

That's a common misconception. Campbell hurt his back working on his ranch and a doctor wrecked it even further by putting three screws in his spine. That condition, along with an addiction to pain killers and alcohol put him in a wheelchair. His back was later fixed by another doctor who figured out that Campbell suffered from spinal stenosis and probably should never have been playing football in the first place.

Yeah but it's like " yeah we were wrong, too bad for you* shoulder shrugs "

What else are they gonna do? Replay the end of the game?

To be honest, I watch a lot of NBA and NFL, and the NFL isn't nearly as bad. There's a ton of ego with NBA officials, and a lot of their calls are subjective. At least the NFL has tried to reduce the amount of subjectivity for officials. And there are a ton of them, and they confer before almost every call, and there's replay for a lot of situations. 

To be honest, I watch a lot of NBA and NFL, and the NFL isn't nearly as bad. There's a ton of ego with NBA officials, and a lot of their calls are subjective. At least the NFL has tried to reduce the amount of subjectivity for officials. And there are a ton of them, and they confer before almost every call, and there's replay for a lot of situations.

If a call dictates the outcome of the game like the Fail Mary from Seattle & GB, the NFL should label the game a draw. Give both teams a tie on their records

I don't know what they could do, hopefully they can " motivate " officials to make the right calls or review turnovers, make penalty calls in those reviews.

What if that play happens at the end of the first half?

If it happens at the end of the first half the New York crew should spend halftime reviewing it until they're 100% convinced the right call was made. Then make the call before the teams come back out and have 2 officials go to each locker room and let the teams know the verdict

I don't know what they could do, hopefully they can " motivate " officials to make the right calls or review turnovers, make penalty calls in those reviews.

There was an article on MMQB last year where Peter King got some inside access with one of the crews. I wanna say it's Steratore's crew. It highlights how the league office rates crews through the season, how they all know what calls weren't handled correctly, etc. Sometimes you'll hear commentators say that the refs should just err on the side of caution with turnovers and TDs, since they are going to be reviewed anyway, but the league grades officials on those plays as well. If they call a TD, but the call is incorrect, they get a bad mark. Doesn't matter that they only called it a TD so that they could fall back on the review to make sure the call is right.

King was with the crew chief when the news came that the league had downgraded his crew, and he got really depressed. His response was "well, there goes the Super Bowl." 

Point is that the NFL does monitor the officials, and they do incentivize good officiating. They don't publicly chastise their refs, and if there are downgrades, they don't announce them. A fine is probably rare, reserved for instances of inappropriate behavior, and they're probably always accompanied with suspensions (one ref got suspended last year for an inappropriate exchange with Trent Williams). 

End of the day, being a ref is tough. We have the benefit of camera angles, slow motion replay, etc. Sometimes, mistakes are going to be made.