Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

pass catching talent

OLD FAN MAN

it seems like the team is loaded with pass catching talent from the receivers, tight ends and rbs. it seems pep is making poor use of this  strong point of the team. why? I am just a fan and have zero football knowledge could someone explain why?

The usual answer here is that the OL doesn't give Luck enough time to read the entire field.  He'll read Wayne, then Hilton, then either check down or throw it away due to pressure.  However, the OL had a strong performance on Monday, so I'm not sure. 

Honestly I think they game planned to keep eagles off the field as much as possible. I think that is why we out more of an emphasis on our run game. Which it worked, we were killing them with the run. Once they adjusted and started stopping out run is when we should if adjusted and started hitting them with the pa. I just don't understand how other teams can expose and make people play for blitzing besides us. They were leaving the whole middle if the field wide open. I love Luck but he needs to get it together. He needs to read the defense better. Make them pay for blitzing. He needs to make better throws. I don't know if all his problems are just due from feeling uncomfortable in the pocket. Knowing he's about to get blasted at any moment.

Honestly I think they game planned to keep eagles off the field as much as possible. I think that is why we out more of an emphasis on our run game. Which it worked, we were killing them with the run. Once they adjusted and started stopping out run is when we should if adjusted and started hitting them with the pa. I just don't understand how other teams can expose and make people play for blitzing besides us. They were leaving the whole middle if the field wide open. I love Luck but he needs to get it together. He needs to read the defense better. Make them pay for blitzing. He needs to make better throws. I don't know if all his problems are just due from feeling uncomfortable in the pocket. Knowing he's about to get blasted at any moment.

Yeah..He does seem to throw a little earlier then he wants when he see's pressure coming.  Which makes for some bad throws but he is fine. 

To keep the Eagles off of the field, Luck was asked to throw short possession-retaining passes, which backfired. After Trent's fumble, and the score was tied, Luck was finally asked to be Luck. He slung the ball, going 7 of 9 for 79 yards, leading to a TD.

I think we out-coached ourselves in this game. It's good that we got the run game on track. Let's just let Luck be Luck. Don't change the pass game, the only thing that's worked over the past two years.