Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blitzed up the Middle

Jonathan24

For the past two games teams have been taking the short route to get to Luck.  They are eating our guards up.  The only thing I seen Grigs do about that is sign some guy to the practice squad.  I think its time to give incognito a call and get some stability in the interior. 

For the most part i think the OL did a good job, when you blitz there's always gonna be an extra defender in the mix. I do think that teams are gameplanning and attacking the interior as they see it as a weak point, but they held their own for the most part. 

For the past two games teams have been taking the short route to get to Luck.  They are eating our guards up.  The only thing I seen Grigs do about that is sign some guy to the practice squad.  I think its time to give incognito a call and get some stability in the interior. 

It`s is like you don`t get we have drafted OUR players and are developing them.

Few here also get that Khaled Holmes will Help fix some of this.

Unfortunately Mewhort has very slow feet and will always have trouble redirecting to pick up blitzers. Way to slow to run the power sweep, he should never have been drafted. Now we are limited in our rush scemes for years to come. Oh well.

It`s is like you don`t get we have drafted OUR players and are developing them.

Few here also get that Khaled Holmes will Help fix some of this.

Unfortunately Mewhort has very slow feet and will always have trouble redirecting to pick up blitzers. Way to slow to run the power sweep, he should never have been drafted. Now we are limited in our rush scemes for years to come. Oh well.

We ran to left with great success behind Mewhort and Castanzo and Luck took how many sacks on all those on all these Blitzes up the middle again they held there own . If Luck takes 4 hits a game that's about half of the hits either of the last 2 years .

I think this has more to do with the Colts offensive limitation.  I was telling a friend that Manning, even at the same stage of his career, would shred those kind of blitzs.  But he would just audible to a quick slant to the TE or dump on a quick curl.  I don't know if it is that Luck isn't given the ability to audible  t to a play like that, the guys can't execute, or what, but I noticed last year  that the way to really shut down this offense is to blitz up the middle.  They seem to have no answer for it.  And it is not because the center is subpar.   Like was just mentioned 7 guys attacking 5 is going to lead to some guys getting through.  Hamilton/Luck just need to adjust better.

The pressure up the middle is not the fault of the o-line. Someone needs to explain what a hot route is to Luck and the coaches. I'm not even entirely sure anyone has explained what a slant is to Pep yet. Baby steps, I guess

I agree. I don't see the protection slided with the RB to help out Luck in the case of a blitz every single time, and why, I don't know. If you have more blitzers than OL to block, do not rely on an empty backfield and your ability to take hits, Mr. Luck. Just slide the protection and you WILL find an open receiver as a hot read or given extra time.

I think this has more to do with the Colts offensive limitation.  I was telling a friend that Manning, even at the same stage of his career, would shred those kind of blitzs.  But he would just audible to a quick slant to the TE or dump on a quick curl.  I don't know if it is that Luck isn't given the ability to audible  t to a play like that, the guys can't execute, or what, but I noticed last year  that the way to really shut down this offense is to blitz up the middle.  They seem to have no answer for it.  And it is not because the center is subpar.   Like was just mentioned 7 guys attacking 5 is going to lead to some guys getting through.  Hamilton/Luck just need to adjust better.

In my opinion Pep does not have Sight Adjustment in his offense......Basically what you describe...Both QB and WR have to see the same thing or the QB has to give the WR some form of signal pre snap...The reason I say this is because Reggie is a vet...He knows how to read the Safety and Corner and to sight adjust from there yet it does not seem to be done, Its a bunch of line up, call the play and run it as is or have a built in Houte Route

To be honest, I don't see the 'cerebral' aspect to Luck's game that he was so praised for coming out of college. He still makes a lot of dumb rookie mistakes (continues to stare down receivers waaaaayyy too often) The guy just also happens to be gutsy as heck and has a heart of lion. He's not a Peyton clone, by any stretch, however

For the past two games teams have been taking the short route to get to Luck. They are eating our guards up. The only thing I seen Grigs do about that is sign some guy to the practice squad. I think its time to give incognito a call and get some stability in the interior.

that makes no sense

To be honest, I don't see the 'cerebral' aspect to Luck's game that he was so praised for coming out of college. He still makes a lot of dumb rookie mistakes (continues to stare down receivers waaaaayyy too often) The guy just also happens to be gutsy as heck and has a heart of lion. He's not a Peyton clone, by any stretch, however

Why does Luck need to be compared to Manning? Who thought or said that Luck was a Manning clone? Luck is starting his 3rd year as a Colt. Manning is old news as far as the Colts. Maybe it's time to update your mentality when it comes to the Colts. That was not meant as an insult, it's just Manning is gone and Luck is his own man and plays QB for the Colts today, not 3 years ago.

Why does Luck need to be compared to Manning? Who thought or said that Luck was a Manning clone? Luck is starting his 3rd year as a Colt. Manning is old news as far as the Colts. Maybe it's time to update your mentality when it comes to the Colts. That was not meant as an insult, it's just Manning is gone and Luck is his own man and plays QB for the Colts today, not 3 years ago.

I'm not comparing him to Manning. I'm referring to the hype he had coming out of college, where he was often praised for his astuteness at the mental aspect of the game, and how he had control of Stanford's offense much like Manning controls his offenses. I'm merely saying I don't think whatever people saw then has translated very well at the pro level. He isn't particularly good at reading a defense, doesn't take check downs, holds the ball too long and stares down receivers. Those are not attributes of a cerebral quarterback. I think the Big Ben comparisons are much more accurate, and are pretty much what we should expect throughout the duration of Luck's career. He'll get more polished as he continues to play, but I haven't seen enough progression from where he was 3 years ago to say he'll ever be a Brady/Peyton/Brees type

I don't think you understand what you think you are seeing.

I agree. Pep needs to get waaaaaaaay better at in game adjustments. 

If they are blitzing up the middle:  

Throw a slant.

Throw to the RB out of the back field.

Throw a swing route to a TE. If our WR screens aren't cutting it, try using the screen with the 3 TE's Pep is in love with having on the field at the same time.

Here's an idea....roll Luck out of the pocket since he's excellent at throwing on the run.

If there's nothing there.....LET HIM RUN. 

Didn't all the coaches agree we need to put the ball in the hands of the playmakers??

It's not that hard to figure out, isn't this all included in the OC 101 handbook? 

Throw a slant.

Throw a swing route to a TE. If our WR screens aren't cutting it, try using the screen with the 3 TE's Pep is in love with having on the field at the same time.

Here's an idea....roll Luck out of the pocket since he's excellent at throwing on the run.

Didn't all the coaches agree we need to put the ball in the hands of the playmakers??

It's not that hard to figure out, isn't this all included in the OC 101 handbook? 

I don't think its so much a case of Pep doesn't know HOW to make those calls.  I think he doesn't know WHEN to make those calls.

That's where Bradshaw and Richardson come in.  We had 4 pressures last game.  Not a terrible night blocking.

Throw a slant.

These are all adjustments that need to be made by Luck.  Pep may make a play call based on what a team's tendencies are, but when you have a play called that is vulnerable to blitz in the A gap, and Luck reads blitz in that gap, then Luck should audible out to one that's more effective. 

These are all adjustments that need to be made by Luck.  Pep may make a play call based on what a team's tendencies are, but when you have a play called that is vulnerable to blitz in the A gap, and Luck reads blitz in that gap, then Luck should audible out to one that's more effective. 

That's fine. Then Pep needs to be yelling at him to make those calls. 

How many time did we hear "let it roll, let it roll" from Luck? 

That's fine. Then Pep needs to be yelling at him to make those calls. 

How many time did we hear "let it roll, let it roll" from Luck? 

Yeah, but I don't think anyone of us knows what that means.  Could mean anything, could mean nothing.  And the bottom line really is that we just need to be better for the entire game, not just half of it.

I'm not comparing him to Manning. I'm referring to the hype he had coming out of college, where he was often praised for his astuteness at the mental aspect of the game, and how he had control of Stanford's offense much like Manning controls his offenses. I'm merely saying I don't think whatever people saw then has translated very well at the pro level. He isn't particularly good at reading a defense, doesn't take check downs, holds the ball too long and stares down receivers. Those are not attributes of a cerebral quarterback. I think the Big Ben comparisons are much more accurate, and are pretty much what we should expect throughout the duration of Luck's career. He'll get more polished as he continues to play, but I haven't seen enough progression from where he was 3 years ago to say he'll ever be a Brady/Peyton/Brees type

Let me ask you an honest question. Just how long should any QB have to read the defense and do a check down on the progressions? Luck buys himself more time because he has had very little time or protection since he was drafted by the Colts. But yet he took the Colts to the playoffs his 1st two years and broke a lot of rookie records his 1st year. I don't care how good or bad a QB is if he is not given the protection and time to do his job he will not look good. Has Luck has a decent running game in Indy? Did Luck have all rookie receivers except for Wayne when starting? Luck started on a team that had 47 new players on the roster in 2 seasons. There were only 6 players left on this team when the season started and 2 of those were kickers. But no, you think Luck hasn't progressed up to your expectations under all those circumstances?

Let me ask you an honest question. Just how long should any QB have to read the defense and do a check down on the progressions? Luck buys himself more time because he has had very little time or protection since he was drafted by the Colts. But yet he took the Colts to the playoffs his 1st two years and broke a lot of rookie records his 1st year. I don't care how good or bad a QB is if he is not given the protection and time to do his job he will not look good. Has Luck has a decent running game in Indy? Did Luck have all rookie receivers except for Wayne when starting? Luck started on a team that had 47 new players on the roster in 2 seasons. There were only 6 players left on this team when the season started and 2 of those were kickers. But no, you think Luck hasn't progressed up to your expectations under all those circumstances?

You didn't answer anything I said AND you're putting words in my mouth. We're done here

The line did hold there own but mhewhort was getting toasted,  It also seems like coach pep is not allowing luck to have the freedom he needs to change things.  I think half way through the season if the offense it not fluent enough the play calling reigns will be turned over to chud.

I ask you a question and you choose not to reply. It is tough for any QB to be a good QB when he is being hit, pressured and sacked most of the time. It's not rocket science. Yes, we are done here.

You're correct, it's not rocket science -- yet you still fail to understand

I agree that the past two seasons, the offensive line play has been downright awful. However, many of Luck's hits were partially his own fault. I'm not talking about the hits when he has maybe a second to throw, i'm talking about the ones where he holds the ball...and holds the ball, and waits for the bigger play rather than take whats there. It's not a coincidence that he's consistently the most hit QB year after year, despite switching schemes last season, and it's not all on the offensive line.

One would think that in a west coast, quick passing system that Pep runs, the hits would reduce considerably from 12' to 13', especially given the fact that we threw less last season than we did under Arians. Point being, there are things a QB can do to mask an under-performing offensive line in pass protection. You make teams pay for blitzing by having hot reads, you get the ball out quick, you audible into better plays (run or pass.) Luck is not doing those things yet. It doesn't mean he never will, but right now he just isn't. He's taking hits because he's not taking what is there, and the fact that teams keep blitzing him is telling of the fact that they know he's going to hold the ball rather than make them pay for it. Teams don't blitz guys like Brady, Peyton, Rodgers or Brees as often as they do other QB's because they know it's a losing proposition to do so frequently.

I understand you don't want any shade thrown at Luck, and you feel his game is without flaw (you're entitled to believe so.) I'm merely pointing out that his ability to extend a play and deliver (which is one of the main things that makes him a good QB) is the very thing that is keeping him from taking that leap to being a GREAT QB, in my opinion. His moxie and toughness wins us games, but it's also costing us points at times and exposing him to more hits as well. Whether or not he's being limited in the amount of control he has over the offense is speculative, but given the comments that I've read from both he and Pep leading into this season, I'm more inclined to believe he has the freedom and just isn't necessarily making the best decisions with that freedom.

A part of me thinks Arians might have broken Luck's ability to go through progressions properly after his rookie season. He's still far too focused down field and stays in the pocket longer than he should -- both things that Arians demanded from Luck when he was the OC here

I agree that the past two seasons, the offensive line play has been downright awful. However, many of Luck's hits were partially his own fault. I'm not talking about the hits when he has maybe a second to throw, i'm talking about the ones where he holds the ball...and holds the ball, and waits for the bigger play rather than take whats there. It's not a coincidence that he's consistently the most hit QB year after year, despite switching schemes last season, and it's not all on the offensive line.

One would think that in a west coast, quick passing system that Pep runs, the hits would reduce considerably from 12' to 13', especially given the fact that we threw less last season than we did under Arians. Point being, there are things a QB can do to mask an under-performing offensive line in pass protection. You make teams pay for blitzing by having hot reads, you get the ball out quick, you audible into better plays (run or pass.) Luck is not doing those things yet. It doesn't mean he never will, but right now he just isn't. He's taking hits because he's not taking what is there, and the fact that teams keep blitzing him is telling of the fact that they know he's going to hold the ball rather than make them pay for it. Teams don't blitz guys like Brady, Peyton, Rodgers or Brees as often as they do other QB's because they know it's a losing proposition to do so frequently.

I understand you don't want any shade thrown at Luck, and you feel his game is without flaw (you're entitled to believe so.) I'm merely pointing out that his ability to extend a play and deliver (which is one of the main things that makes him a good QB) is the very thing that is keeping him from taking that leap to being a GREAT QB, in my opinion. His moxie and toughness wins us games, but it's also costing us points at times and exposing him to more hits as well. Whether or not he's being limited in the amount of control he has over the offense is speculative, but given the comments that I've read from both he and Pep leading into this season, I'm more inclined to believe he has the freedom and just isn't necessarily making the best decisions with that freedom.

A part of me thinks Arians might have broken Luck's ability to go through progressions properly after his rookie season. He's still far too focused down field and stays in the pocket longer than he should -- both things that Arians demanded from Luck when he was the OC here

I think he clearly has the freedom as evidenced by on some instances he will walk around before he gets behind Center and change a few things pre snap, Where I think (in my opinion of course) the disconnect is (along with him just not recognizing the blitz all to often) is I think he gets a play called into him from Pep on the sidelines (Ill add here I wish Pep would sit up in a booth so he could look down and see things live from above) and he has 3 predetermined audibles based on film study he can change into based on alignment of the defense, Which helps to minimize having to think so much out there and just react but also does not maximize our offenses potential because there dont seem to be any Sight Adjustments at this time by receivers and Luck

I believe you have a strong point in the carry over from Arians offense. There are some who think his offense worked better than what they are doing now. I don't happen to have that opinion. I am not saying that Arians is not a great coach because he is. My problem is him having the correct players in place to run his type of offense. As far as throwing what you call shade at Luck, I have no problem with that. There is a lot of room for improvement as we all can see. Where I have the problem is pointing the finger at one coach or player and laying all the problems on their back. Football is a complete team game and it starts from the coaches all the way down to the bench players. It takes everyone involved as a team for success to be achieved. Just pointing out one individual and saying they are the problem is not that simple. It's Peps turn for some now but yet there are glaring problems all over this team right now. The defense has 1 sack in 2 games. Losing Mathis is no excuse for not getting pressure on the other QB. I see no one pointing that out. For a long time everyone was harping on TRich and the running game. Before that it was Grigson who was the bad guy and needed to be fired.  Well last week we ran very well so it's not the hot subject to point a finger out. One of the problems I think is this team has over achieved in a short amount of time. Now winning a bunch has become expected and when it's not happening fans panic and start pointing fingers. Great team are not built in 2 seasons. Most think they can sit in their lazy boy chairs and think they know how to cure all the Colts problems. When does a debate turn into an argument? When fans are so upset they refuse to see reality and the Colts are not the perfect team as expected.

The blitz has to be recognized and then a sight adjustment to a hot route, or just a simple change to another play that resolves the issue of the blitz.  One of the things I saw them doing was running Bradshaw out as a wide receiver and throwing quick passes out to him as the blitz came.  We could use more of this as well as middle screens, quick screens, shovel pass(like the one Luck did to Donald Brown in the Rams preseason opener the first year) slants and crossing routes 

Exactly.  I've always felt Pep was a better adjuster than he was a scripter.    Many teams first drive is scripted, and they often execute it for a long drive that nets at least 3 and often 7 points.  We seem to go 3 and out.  But as the game settles in, Pep adjusts the play calling and we finally make noise. Hopefully the other team doesn't have 3 TD's by then.

Last week against the Eagles, Luck threw 4 passes total on second down in the first half.  He was 2 out of 4 for -4 yards.

In the second half, Luck threw 9 times on second down, completing 8 for 94 yards.  If that is not an adjustment, I do not know what qualifies.

no no you missed the memo all offensive mistakes are the coaches fault. It's never the players and it's clearly never Andrew Luck.

This was said with tounge firmly panted in cheek.

Exactly.  I've always felt Pep was a better adjuster than he was a scripter.    Many teams first drive is scripted, and they often execute it for a long drive that nets at least 3 and often 7 points.  We seem to go 3 and out.  But as the game settles in, Pep adjusts the play calling and we finally make noise. Hopefully the other team doesn't have 3 TD's by then.

Last week against the Eagles, Luck threw 4 passes total on second down in the first half.  He was 2 out of 4 for -4 yards.

In the second half, Luck threw 9 times on second down, completing 8 for 94 yards.  If that is not an adjustment, I do not know what qualifies.

Yeah that's why we always fall behind early and have to play catch up. 

Here's some incite:

"For the people who say, 'You have Andrew Luck on your team and the ball should be in his hands,' well this is what they did at Stanford," Hasselbeck said. "I mean, he's comfortable with it. He is very much a big part of our running game. We use his brains and intangibles to work with cadence and this (process) where he's kind of got three or four plays at once, and then he decides. He's the conductor of the orchestra. On some plays, the option is a run or a pass. He can hand it off or throw it. At the end of the day, it's really his call. It's very, very similar to what he did in college when he was the best player in college football. We're using his skills and smarts to run the ball effectively."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/09/19/colts-offense-drastically-different-than-manning-years/15911069/

Reading this tells me he's not always making the right adjustment to the blitz when it happens if at the end of the day it's his call.

Yup.  We're even pretty good at second half adjustments on defense.  Last week defense was on the field quite a bit becaue we had two quick turnovers bam bam, and then went 3 and out.  So while the 2nd half defense, or 4th quarter defense rather, wasn't great, you can attribute that in good portion to lack of offensive execution.  I mean least year, we were bottom 5 in points given up in the first half and in the top 5 in points given up in the second half.