Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vikings suspend Peterson, place him on exempt list

Jules

Was this only because people are outraged about it?

They didn't have a problem with starting him until now.

They've already shown their true colors, don't matter what they do now to make themselves appear in a better light.

I think well IMO only, it is about major sponsors/corporations who are always loyal to the NFL, calling up and expressing complaints. Money talks.......some major companies have called and expressed frustrations. This is a good band aid to have in the meantime.....suspending him.

The Vikings and the league cannot afford to lose money. The good guy image has to stay in tact no matter what and MONEY talks baby!

I think well IMO only, it is about major sponsors/corporations who are always loyal to the NFL, calling up and expressing complaints. Money talks.......some major companies have called and expressed frustrations. This is a good band aid to have in the meantime.....suspending him.

The Vikings and the league cannot afford to lose money. The good guy image has to stay in tact no matter what and MONEY talks baby!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24712073/nike-pulls-adrian-peterson-merchandise-off-twin-cities-shelves

From Anheuser Busch;

In a scathing 49-word statement, the league’s official suds maker said it is “disappointed and increasingly concerned by the recent incidents that have overshadowed this NFL season.”

“We are not yet satisfied with the league’s handling of behaviors that so clearly go against our own company's culture and moral code,”

Approximately 1 in 10 deaths among working age adults is directly related to alcohol. Alcohol has been correlated directly to domestic violence and child abuse/neglect. The very company spouting the pristine nature of their moral compass, manufactures one of the most insidious substances plaguing mankind. 

From Anheuser Busch;

In a scathing 49-word statement, the league’s official suds maker said it is “disappointed and increasingly concerned by the recent incidents that have overshadowed this NFL season.”

“We are not yet satisfied with the league’s handling of behaviors that so clearly go against our own company's culture and moral code,”

Approximately 1 in 10 deaths among working age adults is directly related to alcohol. Alcohol has been correlated directly to domestic violence and child abuse/neglect. The very company spouting the pristine nature of their moral compass, manufactures one of the most insidious substances plaguing mankind. 

All major corporations have a pristine image to uphold at the top though, whether they sell beer or stuffed animals or parade around jocks that play a game. Anheuser-Busch like many companies depend a lot on the female buyer which is hurt by the image of the NFL lately in their minds or though study groups of consumers due to domestic abuse videos and the motherly instincts that go along with the Peterson case. It is all about money.

And, Anheuser-Busch like all alcoholic breweries do a lot of work against underage drinking and to promote awareness there on the side. Like the NFL they promote an image of goodness and family too. But, behind the scenes it is just as corrupt as any major business.

However, I believe blaming problems solely on alcohol is a reactionary stance too. Like blaming school shootings or teenage violence on music or movies. Or blaming obesity problems soley on fast food consumption.

People have to look into deeper causes here at times IMO more often and why these so called issues exist to begin with, why certain individuals fall off the deep end and why people do turn to detrimental behaviors in the first place that get out of control in society.

Beer, wine or liquor consumption does not automatically have to equal abuse of alcohol too. It can be used as social enjoyment and actually has medical benefits as one or two drinks a day. 

The fact that people get loaded to the point of no return is something every major alcohol corporation is well aware of but in the end it is all about the product sold and the image. Major corporations need the NFL for advertising just as much as the NFL needs them in return.

In conclusion it is all about the $$$$$. Anheuser-Busch loves the NFL too and Nascar. They have players like Peyton Manning, Eli Manning etc. occasionally show up at their yearly conventions or a big star from a SB winning team.

Didn't mean to go off on a tangent......I have known people in big business before.

All major corporations have a pristine image to uphold at the top though, whether they sell beer or stuffed animals or parade around jocks that play a game. Anheuser-Busch like many companies depend a lot on the female buyer which is hurt by the image of the NFL lately in their minds or though study groups of consumers due to domestic abuse videos and the motherly instincts that go along with the Peterson case. It is all about money.

And, Anheuser-Busch like all alcoholic breweries do a lot of work against underage drinking and to promote awareness there on the side. Like the NFL they promote an image of goodness and family too. But, behind the scenes it is just as corrupt as any major business.

However, I believe blaming problems solely on alcohol is a reactionary stance too. Like blaming school shootings or teenage violence on music or movies. Or blaming obesity problems soley on fast food consumption.

People have to look into deeper causes here at times IMO more often and why these so called issues exist to begin with, why certain individuals fall off the deep end and why people do turn to detrimental behaviors in the first place that get out of control in society.

Beer, wine or liquor consumption does not automatically have to equal abuse of alcohol too. It can be used as social enjoyment and actually has medical benefits as one or two drinks a day. 

The fact that people get loaded to the point of no return is something every major alcohol corporation is well aware of but in the end it is all about the product sold and the image. Major corporations need the NFL for advertising just as much as the NFL needs them in return.

In conclusion it is all about the $$$$$. Anheuser-Busch loves the NFL too and Nascar. They have players like Peyton Manning, Eli Manning etc. occasionally show up at their yearly conventions or a big star from a SB winning team.

Didn't mean to go off on a tangent......I have known people in big business before.

I understand all this, but I thought I'd point out the hypocritical nature of this company having moral issues with the way the NFL handles it's internal disciplines. If you look at all deeply into the practices of big alcohol, you'll see the exact same hypocrisy, manipulation and political lobbyist support we've seen with Big Tobacco for decades. Including (among many other things) dumping millions of dollars into the Partnership For a Drug Free America's anti-marijuana campaings for no explicable reason other than the fact that marijuana is seen as a threat to their profit margins. 

If you get out your trusty powerwasher and clean off the blood and guts from the pristine venere of companies like Anheuser Busch, you see that their desire to maintain a morally intact marketing image isn't really necessary. Nevermind the fact that they brew poison, or that their products which are clearly marketed to young people result in a major cause of death for young men.....dare they share a business relationship with a sports league that employs a man whom used a bit too much 'ol fashioned discipline with his children. Oh....how their image should suffer under such a partnership.  :bored:

Hopefully now this is resolved for all who were adamant that the team and the league should take this stance.

It's not over, not by a long shot. 

It's been hidden away as best as possible for now, but this isn't over. By "this"...I mean the public and their fake outrage. I want to be clear, I have never hit my child and have always railed against misguided parents that think they need to use a weapon (implement) to harm their children into good behavior. 

Though I find Peterson's actions misguided, I do not find his actions to be something which warrants this outrage. 

Certain terms smack our ears with utter repulsion. Pedophille. Rapist. Murderer. Child abuser. What people are doing here is dangerous. Peterson used a form of discipline that I've heard pretty much everyone over the age of 50 describing as commonplace not long ago in America. What we call "child abuse" today, may well not have been just 20-30 years ago. That doesn't make it right, but it does challenge WHY we're seeing what was just discipline once upon a time be described as "child abuse". 

I remember my mother taking my dads belt to us numerous times when we'd get to fighting. I remember marks. Hard to imagine mom going to prison for this. The intent was good and the damage most certainly not permanent. 

It's not over, not by a long shot. 

It's been hidden away as best as possible for now, but this isn't over. By "this"...I mean the public and their fake outrage. I want to be clear, I have never hit my child and have always railed against misguided parents that think they need to use a weapon (implement) to harm their children into good behavior. 

Though I find Peterson's actions misguided, I do not find his actions to be something which warrants this outrage. 

Certain terms smack our ears with utter repulsion. Pedophille. Rapist. Murderer. Child abuser. What people are doing here is dangerous. Peterson used a form of discipline that I've heard pretty much everyone over the age of 50 describing as commonplace not long ago in America. What we call "child abuse" today, may well not have been just 20-30 years ago. That doesn't make it right, but it does challenge WHY we're seeing what was just discipline once upon a time be described as "child abuse". 

I remember my mother taking my dads belt to us numerous times when we'd get to fighting. I remember marks. Hard to imagine mom going to prison for this. The intent was good and the damage most certainly not permanent. 

I'm not trying to justify what he did.  But I see danger in the seething mobs.  First they were mad about Rice, then dropped that and got angry about Petersen, now anger that the action was not taken a day sooner.

It's starting to seem as though we have three levels of judgement: criminal trial, civil trial, and trial by public opinion.  And the public clamors for severe punishment.  

I understand that there are social ills, a lot of them.  And they deserve more than temporary attention.  But I see similarities to lynch mobs.

I'm not trying to justify what he did.  But I see danger in the seething mobs.  First they were mad about Rice, then dropped that and got angry about Petersen, now anger that the action was not taken a day sooner.

It's starting to seem as though we have three levels of judgement: criminal trial, civil trial, and trial by public opinion.  And the public clamors for severe punishment.  

I understand that there are social ills, a lot of them.  And they deserve more than temporary attention.  But I see similarities to lynch mobs.

The power of the mob isn't what disturbs me here. It's what gives these mobs their power that is disconcerting. Money. Advertisers want it, and when the mob speaks, advertisers listen. Nevermind if the mob is misguided, vindictive, ignorant or just plain misinformed, they might take their business to Burger King instead of McDonald's, if Mickey D's associates themselves with the NFL. 

Yeah....right. Hollow threats are hollow, and advertisers here give their customers far too much credit. If only our society really was that politically mindful, we might see some serious change in America. 

What is most disturbing is this trend we're seeing of people being thrown out of their profession and their names destroyed, well in advance of any legal proceedings to determine actual guilt. Peterson should, under no manner describable as "American", be off the field as of now. 

He is accused of a crime that many of us had been "victimized" by our own parents with before, and we love them for it. The NFL should take a stand, and they'd look far better for it IMO if they did. That, in cases such as this, they should make no disciplinary maneuvers until the law has spoken and the case is adjudicated fully. 

The power of the mob isn't what disturbs me here. It's what gives these mobs their power that is disconcerting. Money. Advertisers want it, and when the mob speaks, advertisers listen. Nevermind if the mob is misguided, vindictive, ignorant or just plain misinformed, they might take their business to Burger King instead of McDonald's, if Mickey D's associates themselves with the NFL. 

Yeah....right. Hollow threats are hollow, and advertisers here give their customers far too much credit. If only our society really was that politically mindful, we might see some serious change in America. 

What is most disturbing is this trend we're seeing of people being thrown out of their profession and their names destroyed, well in advance of any legal proceedings to determine actual guilt. Peterson should, under no manner describable as "American", be off the field as of now. 

He is accused of a crime that many of us had been "victimized" by our own parents with before, and we love them for it. The NFL should take a stand, and they'd look far better for it IMO if they did. That, in cases such as this, they should make no disciplinary maneuvers until the law has spoken and the case is adjudicated fully. 

I will never understand the amount of money in advertising.......even now on your computer and phone, adware has become the new malware.

Is it really that effective?  I don't have any more money to buy any of this stuff.  Who are these people?  Are they the same ones that respond to spam phone calls and click spam emails?

Agree that public opinion can be easily manipulated and weary of meaningless public outrage.

We are a complacent nation, who scream when our  buttons are pushed......but then quickly forget.  It's quick, it's easy, it feels good and that's what we like.

Overall I think human beings are basically good but at times, I have a hard time remembering that.

I can't agree with your comment that we or some were 'victimized' by our own parents and loved them for it. Abuse is abuse no matter how you package it. For every individual who you say is not effected and love their parents for being abused there are countless other who do not fit that category. Without getting into the details I am in that category and it took me years to come to grips with the abuse. I am not too sure if I really have even truly gotten over it and I am a great grandparent. I do know I raised my child without ever laying a hand let alone a weapon of any kind. You are off base if you think that abuse under the disguise of discipline is right or has no effect on people.

I can't agree with your comment that we or some were 'victimized' by our own parents and loved them for it. Abuse is abuse no matter how you package it. For every individual who you say is not effected and love their parents for being abused there are countless other who do not fit that category. Without getting into the details I am in that category and it took me years to come to grips with the abuse. I am not too sure if I really have even truly gotten over it and I am a great grandparent. I do know I raised my child without ever laying a hand let alone a weapon of any kind. You are off base if you think that abuse under the disguise of discipline is right or has no effect on people.

What is "abuse" to you, exactly? 

I will call attention to the post I made above where I said "I want to be clear, I have never hit my child and have always railed against misguided parents that think they need to use a weapon (implement) to harm their children into good behavior". 

Would it surprise you much to know that here, in Indiana, our public schools are allowed to use this exact same brand of discipline on our children? Only New Jersey can say they've never really supported such punishment. Every other state did until recent decades, many still doing it. 

I don't support corporal punishment, which is what Peterson is accused of. I had marks that far FAR exceed what Peterson's child suffered, given to me by the principal of my elementary school. 

I can say, as a 42 year old man, I view what happened to me as abuse. Sanctioned, socially accepted and supported, abuse. 

Where I'm having trouble is understanding how this form of abuse is seen by people as so awful we must destroy this man for doing it, despite the fact that we send our kids to schools that have the legal right to do exactly the same thing to our kids for whatever reason they feel they need. 

I want to hear some fundamental differences between a school's implementation of corporal punishment and what Peterson did? 

Guess what, my hypocritical nation? Guess what other state allows their schools to do this? Go on, I'll wait. 

Yepper, you guessed it, Texas. Apparently hypocrisy is bigger in Texas as well. 

We even beat handicapped students;

corporal-punishment-in-primary-schools.p

severe-school-corporal-punishment-paddli

Was this only because people are outraged about it?

They didn't have a problem with starting him until now.

They've already shown their true colors, don't matter what they do now to make themselves appear in a better light.

This is about the Minnesota Vikings being unbelievably dumb. I called this back when the first said he would play. Again, they either need better PR people or need to start listening to them. Any person with a half of a brain would have seen this backlash from a mile away.

I'm not trying to justify what he did. But I see danger in the seething mobs. First they were mad about Rice, then dropped that and got angry about Petersen, now anger that the action was not taken a day sooner.

It's starting to seem as though we have three levels of judgement: criminal trial, civil trial, and trial by public opinion. And the public clamors for severe punishment.

I understand that there are social ills, a lot of them. And they deserve more than temporary attention. But I see similarities to lynch mobs.

Football players, at the NFL level, are public figures. The huge audience and the revenue they generate is great, but the downside is they live under a microscope.

He'll have his day in court. He'll get a second chance.

The NFL makes its billions of dollars from the paying public. When your star player is indicted on charges like these, of course the public, in particular the Minnesota public, will be outraged and not want to see Peterson running up and down a football field. This isn't about public opinion. The man was indicted and has admitted to the abuse. The legal process has been playing out for quite some time and they found him responsible for child abuse. You sit such a player. Again, a no brainer.

The NFL makes its billions of dollars from the paying public. When your star player is indicted on charges like these, of course the public, in particular the Minnesota public, will be outraged and not want to see Peterson running up and down a football field. This isn't about public opinion. The man was indicted and has admitted to the abuse. The legal process has been playing out for quite some time and tpuhey found him responsible for child abuse. You sit such a player. Again, a no brainer.

because they make money from the public it's ok for the public to behave irresponsibly?  I get people voting with their feet. I also get people having an opinion and even being upset by this.

This goes beyond that and I see danger in people justifying a flash mob mentality.  There is not a good history for mobs in this country

It is about public opinion and public impatience and public 'my way or the highway behavior""  and more than that, public fascination with celebrity and the publics enjoyment of bringing people down.

I watched a made for TV movie recently about Brittany Murphy.  It's a bizarre story but one of the  things that resonated with me is that the public branded her as an anorexic, a drug addict, and difficult to work with.  Blogger started it......sponsors responded to it.  And it ruined her career

Didn't matter to anyone whether any of it was true.

That's the world we live in today and I think it behoves all of us to expect more from ourselves.

Do you see people picketing the jobs of low profile child abusers insisting on the satisfaction of seeing the  abuser fired?  No, you don't

And yet most victims of child abuse are not the children of celebrities.  I still see this very much about people wanting blood, because they enjoy the taste

Not saying AP is in the right. I am saying that the mobs are in the wrong, 

I also see it as hypocritical......"it's not my fault, I'm righteously outraged" to me is no different than "but this is how I was raised"

Neither is acceptable to me.

Maybe but there is an awful lot against him. The pictures, the doctors, the mom and the child testimonies and his admittance to the abuse. And now other stories of abuse with his other kids are surfacing.

The mom and the child probably don't want to testify in court, especially the child.  Being sensitive to that fact the prosecutor likely pleads him down or something.  

Now he might not ever get to see that particular child again but he'll likely avoid prison I think. 

because they make money from the public it's ok for the public to behave irresponsibly?  I get people voting with their feet. I also get people having an opinion and even being upset by this.

This goes beyond that and I see danger in people justifying a flash mob mentality.  There is not a good history for mobs in this country

It is about public opinion and public impatience and public 'my way or the highway behavior""  and more than that, public fascination with celebrity and the publics enjoyment of bringing people down.

I watched a made for TV movie recently about Brittany Murphy.  It's a bizarre story but one of the  things that resonated with me is that the public branded her as an anorexic, a drug addict, and difficult to work with.  Blogger started it......sponsors responded to it.  And it ruined her career

Didn't matter to anyone whether any of it was true.

That's the world we live in today and I think it behoves all of us to expect more from ourselves.

Do you see people picketing the jobs of low profile child abusers insisting on the satisfaction of seeing the  abuser fired?  No, you don't

And yet most victims of child abuse are not the children of celebrities.  I still see this very much about people wanting blood, because they enjoy the taste

Not saying AP is in the right. I am saying that the mobs are in the wrong, 

I also see it as hypocritical......"it's not my fault, I'm righteously outraged" to me is no different than "but this is how I was raised"

Neither is acceptable to me.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. AP was a beloved football player prior to his indictment. Nobody attached any negativity to him. He did that to himself. This is so far from what happened to Murphy.

I am also not sure why you are so upset that people are outraged over such a crime? Why don't people have a right to be angry about child abuse of all things? And again, the NFL makes its money off the public and market its stars as such. How the public feels is priority number one. The advertisers speak the most. As I have said, I could have told you back when he was indicted that his marketability would drop like a lead balloon.

You know Nadine there are some actions that are so deplorable that it really does not matter what the courts rule in terms of his punishment. The moment you commit them, your life as you know it is over whether you are a public figure or not. We all know this. He is not being unfairly treated. The moment he decided to beat his kid the way he did, he gave up everything. Too bad his dad that beat him all his life, did not teach him that.

Maybe but there is an awful lot against him. The pictures, the doctors, the mom and the child testimonies and his admittance to the abuse. And now other stories of abuse with his other kids are surfacing.

He doesnt have a previous criminal record. The courts found that the incident in 2013 was reasonable parental punishment. He will plead this out and do community service, parenting classes and probation. This isn't an extreme case of child abuse. It's bad, but not nearly prison worthy especially in Texas

He doesnt have a previous criminal record. The courts found that the incident in 2013 was reasonable parental punishment. He will plead this out and do community service, parenting classes and probation. This isn't an extreme case of child abuse. It's bad, but not nearly prison worthy especially in Texas

I guess we will see. But Texas is probably the toughest state to even get accused of child abuse as so many from the South have attested to parenting down there and the laws. For him to have been indicted IN Texas of all places, does not bode well. But he has the money to get the best representation available but it depends on the judge too. Most thought Plaxico would get off too and he got two years.

I guess we will see. But Texas is probably the toughest state to even get accused of child abuse as so many from the South have attested to parenting down there and the laws. For him to have been indicted IN Texas of all places, does not bode well. But he has the money to get the best representation available but it depends on the judge too. Most thought Plaxico would get off too and he got two years.

If this was in new york, he would do time

You are comparing apples and oranges here. AP was a beloved football player prior to his indictment. Nobody attached any negativity to him. He did that to himself. This is so far from what happened to Murphy.

I am also not sure why you are so upset that people are outraged over such a crime? Why don't people have a right to be angry about child abuse of all things? And again, the NFL makes its money off the public and market its stars as such. How the public feels is priority number one. The advertisers speak the most. As I have said, I could have told you back when he was indicted that his marketability would drop like a lead balloon.

You know Nadine there are some actions that are so deplorable that it really does not matter what the courts rule in terms of his punishment. The moment you commit them, your life as you know it is over whether you are a public figure or not. We all know this. He is not being unfairly treated. The moment he decided to beat his kid the way he did, he gave up everything. Too bad his dad that beat him all his life, did not teach him that.

Outrage is fine, demanding the crowds be satisfied immediately is not how I would like to see in our country run.

I believe there are other countries for this.

Your not seeing the parallels is perhaps something you should spend some time considering.  Public opinion can cause unfair damage.  Mobs need to own the negative consequences of what they do.  Every single individual takes responsibility for the destruction it so passionately seeks.

If you want to wield the power to damage, to possibly not fairly consider matters but instead to focus on damage then you need to take responsibility for it.

People love to outraged, they love it here on these boards.  People love to feel morally superior.  And I think this is about that far more than it is about caring for children.

I find it nonproductive and dangerous.  And branding anyone who disagrees with the mob as not caring enough about child abuse is just more dirty tactic.  Doesn't matter if that's what I actually said does it?

Boy, the NFL teams are on eggshells. Not sure what to do, when. All seem to just be responding to public opinion. I can't ever remember seeing so much negativity ever in the NFL. 

It's symptomatic of our society. I've never heard so many jokes made at the expense of the NFL. I've never seen the NFL's credibility attacked in such a way. Not over a cheating scandal. Not over illegal practices, fixing games, rigged refereeing, nor under-the-table dealings. The NFL is under attack due to a couple of knuckle-heads making very bad decisions and not being immediately and permanently fired for it.

We hold others to a level of scrutiny that we ourselves would never want to endure.